Introduction to the Cumulative Index of Articles published in the journals of the Society.
The St. Helena Philatelic Study Group Newsletter appeared on the
philatelic scene in April 1977, as the voluntary initiative of Vivian W. Finne. It and its direct
successors have continued in unbroken series as the quarterly official journal of what is now
known as the St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philatelic Society.
Since the January 1993 issue, it has carried International Standard Serial
Number (lSSN) 1065-6979. That first issue was a modest 8.5"x11" mimeographed two-page effort,
which concluded with the question of "Who will do the next one?" The
challenge was taken up by Russell V. Skavaril, whose subsequent 12-year
stewardship as editor set the basic standards for the journal. His first
six-page number, offset printed from camera ready copy, appeared with a dateline
of July 1977. It was followed three months later by an eight-page issue, and
then by an eleven-page number in January 1978. The periodical has held to that
same quarterly schedule ever since, while continuing to grow in size and scope.
Its name changed to St. Helena and Dependencies Philatelic Society Newsletter
with Vol. II, No. 1 (January 1978), reflecting the somewhat wider scope of the
organization and its journal. The current name, South Atlantic Chronicle,
appeared with the July 1986 (Vol. X, No. 3) issue. The present typeset,
glossy-covered format was introduced in July 1988, coincident with Everett
Parker's assumption of the editorship.
In January of 2006, in conjunction with the production of the society's publication "Thirty Years of St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philately, 1976 - 2006", it was thought that an updated index, combining the work of the previous compilers, would be worthwhile, and this document is the result.
Go to Author Index
Go to Title Index
Go to Volume Index
Go to Publication Date Table