Melbourne to Canberra / Goulburn
Part 1 : Melbourne to Beechworth
This route is based on an article in Freewheeling Magazine (# 12 , 1981/Sep ). The route is mostly on back roads. There are commercial camp sites at each of the stages.
Useful maps are
- RACV's regional maps " Goulburn & Murray Waters" & "North Eastern Victoria", ( scale 1: 350 000, $3.95 each or free to members of car clubs)
- Melbourne to Epping ( by rail)
- Epping to Broadford, 56 Km on tar , mostly flat, E of M31 Hume Freeway
- Broadford to the bridge near Seymour , 28 km mostly flat - via Puckapunyal ( military museums open daily).
- near Seymour to Ngambie , 34 km . Mixed tar & gravel roads. Backroads to W of A39 Goulburn Valley Hwy.
- Nagambie to Murchison, 24 km on tar, almost flat.
- Murchison to Shepparton, 35 km on smooth wide, flat tar. ( Caltrop " three corner jacks" may be common in summer).
- Shepparton to Devenish, 52 km on flat, wide tarred road.
- Devenish to Glenrowan , 46 km , quiet tar road, C314, mostly flat & narrow. Nice camping in forest.
- Glenrowan to Wangaratta 20 km, flat , mostly wide tar.
- Wangarratta ( Via Great Alpine Road / Ovens Hwy / B500 & C 315) to Beechworth , 37 km on tar, flat then rolling hills. Beechworth is "… Victoria's best preserved gold fields town".
Part 2: Beechworth Vic. to Goulburn, NSW
This route is based on an article in Freewheeling Magazine ( #14, 1982/ May)
Useful maps are
- RACV's regional map "North Eastern Victoria" ( scale 1: 350 000, $3.95 to non-members of car clubs)
- NRMA's " Canberra & SE New South Wales" ( scale 1: 550 000, $5.00 non-members)
- Beechworth to Yackandandeh, 23 Km on tar. C 315 & C 532.
- Yackandandeh to Tallangatta 47 km , mostly tar. C 533.
- Tallangatta to Coryong, 87 km , on variable tar, B 400.
- Corryong to Towong to Tooma 38 km on good tar, a few small hills, ( unnumbered on NSW side).
- Tooma to Tumbarumba, 37 km on tar , a few solid hills
- Tumbarumba to Batlow, 41 km tar, "narrow & rough for a lot of the way", some climbs.
- Batlow to Tumut, 32 km on variable tar, two big climbs
- Tumut to Gundagai, 38 km on mostly good tar, a couple of big hills.
- Gundagai to Cootamundra, 61 km , good tar, flat grazing country, becoming undulating
- Cootamundra to Harden, 40 km of good tar, undulating
- Harden to Boorowa, 39 km good tar, variable slopes
- Boorowa to Rugby, 36 km gravel & tar. Camp site at Rugby opposite the school.
- Rugby to Crookwell, 54 km . Some gravel. Nice camping at Wheeo Creek & Lachlan River.
- Crookwell to Goulburn 44 km. Crosses the Great Divide near Crookwell
For Goulburn to Canberra or Sydney, click here.
C:\My Documents\pre fish\Melbourne to Canberra.doc