2002/ July 3
Cyclists regularly travel
In some places, ( not many) the cyclist may need to pay for drinking water (maybe $3.00/litre). The people who sell this water are not a charity, so don’t complain.
The following information has been gathered from several sources and cannot be guaranteed. The list is continually up-dated by bicycle travellers who use it themselves & corrections & other suggestions are very welcome !
Key : R/h = roadhouse ; H/s = homestead ; R/S = railway station ; b/s = bike supplies ; P.O = post office ; t/o = turn off., p/b = parking bay .Note that this site recommends that you not camp in rest areas & parking bays (which tend to be very dirty - bush camps are much cleaner!)
Towns along the highway generally have all required services (except bike parts) and are thus not described in detail.
Section 1 :
1. Pt Augusta + 50 km N - * Hesso R/S disused - small area with tap & some shade.
2. Pt Augusta + 70 Km : Campsite at Bookaloo Railway Siding
3. Pt Augusta + aprox 105 Km N - 3rd parking bay ( ? tank)
4. Pimba camping by donation, showers
( * Woomera : supermarket, liquor store & email at library. Neat "company town")
6. Pimba + 40 km (? Tank)
7. Wirramina Homestead (H/s) camping area
8. Glendambo - *small general store, expensive. Wash clothes at bore tap outside Mobil . Rain water in tanks, ask nicely, use sparingly. Camping $14.00 minimum.
9. Glendambo + 84 Km N - Rain Tank, shade, p/b, emergency telephone,
10. Glendambo + 124 Km - * tank, shade [ no tank or shade 2001/apr]
11. Glendambo + 160 km - * tank, shade, emergency phone
12. Coober Pedy -
c/p at Opal Inn (Grass + dog shit, $9.00) or dirt elsewhere $6.00. Grocery etc at good prices! Foodtown has great "out of code" section, 7D till
1900hrs. Free www at school library till 1700 . Internet café ($8.00/hr). Charity shop Thurs & Fri
12-1500. NB last real grocery till
13. Coober Pedy + 75 km -Portnoura p/b. rain tank, emergency phone, very dirty area. Camp elsewhere!
15. Marla - c/p $6.00. Tap OK. Expensive grocery, poor selection. Pub
16. Marla + 118 km - The Marryat P/b - well off the road, emergency phone, tank. Bleak & dusty. [ April 2001 : new amenities, grass ]
17. Marla + 157 km (SA/NT border) - large area well off road, tank
Section 2 :
18. Kulgera - friendly pub, v.limited groceries, but ask for more (eg flour for damper.) C/p about $5.00, grassy but dog shit, nice showers.
19. Erldunda - R/h ,c/p about $6.00. Two shops, but few groceries. Not friendly. Water tap at petrol station driveway. : Internet, shower ( $4.00). Nice bush camp sites about 10 km to W.
20. Erldunda + 32 km - p/b on W, tank & shade
+ 73 Km - p/b at the
22. Camel Farm on W. - supplies available. Friendly.
22a : $2.50/shower, c/p, groceries.
23. Stuart's Well - Jim's Place c/p $7.00 pp. Shady, limited supplies.
24. Stuart's Well + 32 KM - Rest area.
28. Aileron - P.O., food, friendly_ 2001. $3/shower / 28 A : Aileron + 13 Km " Tank at rest area"
29. Ti Tree - C/p grassy $6.00/single, orange trees, shady, swimming pool, store, police, liquor shop?, clinic, no "take out" from the pub.
30. Barrow Creek : free c/p $2/shower , Very friendly. Cheap meals ,"very salty bore water " Bottled Water Only - for tank water, try race track 1 km to N , or Telegraph Station
31. Wycliffe Well - store, " expensive food & camping". Internet, shower $3.00. Self styled “UFO capital of Australia”.
32. Wauchope - tap, limited supplies, pub, $4/shower, camping $5
33. Karlu Karlu , or "Devil's Marbles" - camp site , NO WATER.
34. Bonney Well - windmill on W. - tank gone !
34 A : 30km South of Tennant Creek. Tank in rest area ??
35. Tennant Creek - cycle path into town. Nice YHA with Garden camping at "Tourist Rest House" $8.00.
36a : ? 75 km N of
37. Renner Springs - "Historic
Renner Springs Desert Pub" - Camping, fuel, restaurant informal
38. Elliot -2 Roadhouses & a
very small town - supermarket, caravan park
39. Elliott + 25 km, rest area, tank .
40. Dunmara - r/h Bar, caravan and Camping $5.50/ single, noisy and shady, few grocery
41. Dunmara + 27 km - p/b - on E.
42. Hi-Way Inn
43. Daly Waters Junction , or 7km on right & left at pub ( "...owned by women & famous for its meals.." but also "..no groceries available..". Note : heading E. there are no groceries between here & Booroloola )
44. Larrimah bore water OK ( no groceries )
45. Larrimah + 40 km - p/b, tank
46. Mataranka Hot Springs - t/o 8 km, Internet at Library. Manor c/p recommended. Bitter Springs is free.
47. Mataranka + 58 km - large area near road, tank
49. Katherine - bike shop. free camping including (cold) showers and electricity at the
Horse and Pony Club on
Note : "Dry season" May to September, with winds from SE.
50. (Katherine + 42 km) - 19 km E
51. Pine Creek - 2000: new YHA with camping at $5.00 / tent ! email@example.com beware park water ! Small grocery & liquor store - last real shop for Kakadu road.
52. Emerald Springs - c/p $4.40/pp. Grass & shade. Pub
53. Hayes Creek - c/p $8.00 / pp, clean & grassy. Friendly. Some grocery & pub.
55. Coomalie Creek - c/van park. Also nearby RA with no tank, lots of campers. Swimming if you like
56. Accacia Store c/p $5.00/ pp. Two hot food shops, some groceries. Friendly. Plenty of tap water. EFTPOS.
57. Noonamah R/h & liquor store. Small noisy park. No campsite.
58. Coolalinga : shops, fruit etc. Alt bookshop w. free www (!), short home stay contact :Michelle <firstname.lastname@example.org> tel 8983 1999. Market Sat AM.
separated bike way runs parallel to
· NB :commercial camping grounds near the city are v. noisy. Private (small ) garden campsite in Ludmila . Contact :Martin <email@example.com >.tel 8981 2473
· Bicycle map "Darwin &
Palmerston Recreation & Cycle Guide" free from Darwin Council offices
· www browsing ( eg to get a copy of this document !), email ( $8.00/ hr ) , word processor ($2.00 / hr) at Public Library on Harry Chan Ave 0900 - 1730 Mon - Fri & Sat AM. Discs available at $1.00 each. Tel 8982 2563 to book time.
· email "check
" (ie first two mins free) at <Byte
· veg & produce at "Truly
· second hand clothes (good quality !) at Anglicare 5 Nemarluk Drive LUDMILA.Last Fri is "dollar day" - all stock $1.00.
Notes provided to Bicycle SA by Colin Rogers in 1989 and David Fuller in 1999.
"Crossing Australia's North [by bicycle] " (1990, Julia Thorn 141 pp) pocket size format. Detailed route guide for Townsville-to-Broome and Darwin / Kakadu region. Useful history and other observations. (Kangaroo Press ISBN 0 86417 305 9 )
Map of the
"Bush Camps &
Rest Areas Around
The Stuart Highway : Coober Pedy to Port Augusta Fact Sheet ( Grace Newhaven 1999 )
Watertanks in the Australian Outback [ W Qld & Stuart Hwy ] ( Urs Arnold ) http://home.datacomm.ch/ursarnold/9697/waterout.htm
Australian Bicycle Camping Fact Sheets : Central Australia