Australian Bicycle Camping Fact Sheets
www.iinet.net.au/~bikefish/ | *
Water for Cyclists:
Last updated 2006/ June 27
This is an evolving list, derived from several sources - some of them difficult to comprehend - and is continuously revised. Your own contributions and updates are most welcome - it will be helpful if you use the reference numbers in any correspondence.
Key : p/b = parking bay ; r/a = rest area; c/p = camping site; R/h = roadhouse ; H/s = homestead ; b/s = bike supplies ; P.O = post office ; t/o = turn off . Towns along the highway generally have all required services (except bike parts !)
Note : The "Wet" season lasts from November / December to March / April.
Entries marked * were confirmed 99/ Sept. ** 2000/Oct
This document is very bulky if printed in HTML format. Click here for a more useful version.
Katherine to Port Hedland
1. Katherine + 57 km W. Tank, shade, table
2. Katherine + 102 km -small "rest area" off the road, tank
3. Katherine + 126 km - cattle troughs
4. Katherine + 143 km - cattle troughs
4a. K + 155km - Campbell Springs, running water. Rubbish problem.
5. Katherine + 163 km - tank gone, shelter only
6. Katherine + 173 Km - clean water at Sullivan creek
8. Timber Creek - Wayside Inn (283 km) Police etc - nice country here
8a. Timber Creek + 10 km . Big Horse Creek c/p with tap water
9. Timber Creek + 58km E - tank, " rest area"
10. Saddle creek (Timber Creek + 119 km W) - rest area, last green tank ( Note : no fruit can be taken into WA)
11. WA border - tank etc. Agriculture officials say water is "not for drinking".
12. [Deleted 2001 ]
12a. BP @ 5 km from Kun'a - showers
13. Kununurra (May-Sep : Squash, Zucchini & Rockmelon harvesting work). B/s @ "Red Gum Camping" in arcade, and at "Retravision"
13a. K + 40 km - At intersection, rest area w/ shelter, tables etc
14. The Grotto - 2 km dirt road to waterhole
16. Kingstone rest - 20 km S of turn off. "Farm , running stream.."
17. Arthur's creek - camp ground, melons ( " did not see" 2001)
19. "Doon Doon" Station on right @ 115 km post. R/h due late 2001.
19aa 211 km before Halls Creek, ca 100 m after March Fly Creek turn west on track 1 km later is a water hole, nice swimming and camping
20. Mistake Creek - 195 km - NO tank in 2001
21. Warmun (Turkey Creek) - r/h, c/p, fish, groceries,
21a. Fletchers Creek (13 N of Purnululu turnoff) bush camping and creek water. Frog Hollow Creek 35 km after Warmun has water hole
21b.Spring Creek Rest Area, good spot with bbqs, and creek water. Located one Km south of Purnululu turn off on West side of hwy.
22. Ord river - nice camp, water possible, depending on season
24. Alice Downs H/s - turn off @ 310 km . 24a. 25 km N of Hall's Creek, "nice b/bong camp on W.side " - tank a little bit later on E.
25. Halls Creek * (see references). B/s. Internet at information centre.
25a. Halls Creek +20 Community near Hwy
26. Halls Creek + 80 km S - tank
27. Halls Creek +
107 km -
28. Pinnacle Creek - 200 km after Halls Creek
29. Fitzroy Crossing: www at TAFE | Basic b/s | Showers @ R/h $2.00 .
29a. FC + 93 km : "..c/p at lake, not sign posted, 6 km W of Ellendale RA"
30. Fitzroy Crossing + 100 km S - windmill & tank at cattle grid. ".. There are no cattle grids directly on the highway. Saw a pond off to right at 90km, so perhaps this was it?.."
30a Fitzroy Crossing + 154 new [2004 ] tank and cattle through on S
31. Willare - r/h. The only water here is rain water, use sparingly. Expensive groceries.
31a. Willare + 25 tank and cattle through on N
31b. Willare + 57 private house (Kimberly Colorstones)
32. "rivers in the area have water " ??? / 2001 ".. Seems out of place. The
32 a Willare + 107. Water Hole , Needs Filtering
33. Roebuck r/h @ Pt Hedland t/o - "bike friendly". C/p $12.50
33a : Destroyed , but rebuilding " Roebuck+85kms : *Eco Beach Resort (10kms off the highway on good dirt road. Resort $19 entrance, includes a big lunch.)
33b :Roebuck+188kms *Stanley Rest Area , good camping/caravan stop, no water
33c : Roebuck+95kms and 9kms on a reasonable dirt road. Barn Hill Station Stay . C/p $11, very pleasant folk, and water. * Recommended .
33d : Roebuck+128kms, approx 1km on LHS of road on sandy track. *Shamrock Vegetable Farm . open between May and September, closes at 2pm.
harsh country from Broome to Sandfire - "..possible June to August only.."
35.P/b @ 55 km - left & right of road .2001 : ".. Didn't see this one.."
36. Roebuck +121 km. rest area, no water
37. windmill @ 175 km (no tank*)
38. windmill @ 260 km (no tank*) far from road
38a. 26 Km N of Sandfire : bore near "Emu" sign, behind gate.
39. Sandfire r/h - bike friendly, groceries, c/p $5.50
39a. Sandfire+45kms 80 mile Beach Caravan Park. Road good.
40. Pardoo r/h - Little Oasis - bike friendly, groceries, showers. Update : cyclone damaged 2002
40aa Pardoo +6 km good bush-camping with claer water hole
40a.Pardoo + 78kms : De Grey River rest area, good shady camping .Swimming [see # 42 ]
41. Goldsworthy t/o- no water , but " good camp"
42. Pardoo+30 (?) kms, then 13kms in on 'good dirt road' Pardoo H/s c/p
44. Pt. Hedland * strong winds possible to S. - may need goggles for sand * B/s at Sth Hedland. NB : detour required to Port Hedland.
45. Turner river 23 Km S of PH. Unreliable water
46. Yule river r/a - no tank.
47. Whim Creek - hotel, free c/p, food, showers. "..No bikes on lawn", " bike un-friendly.." but now "New management 2002"
48. Sherlock river - maybe . 2001 "..pools.."
49. Roebourne - food. Free tour at Info centre. Some B/s. Email at Library.
50/51. Karratha - Dampier r/h. " Travel Stop" - friendly, food, c/p 8km from t/o.
52. Miraee Pool - v. attractive
53a. + 22km " good shady clearing to W.."
55. (Pannawonica) shade, tables at t/o. 55a. Robe R. R/a. 55b. Info bay at Onslow T/o, shelter only.
56. Nanutarra r/h - helpful management c/g on creek, tap water, swimming.
57. ** 70 km S (??
58. (Giralia Stn - excellent food)
60. Winning H/S : 2km off road. Water on request
61. ??? 20 km S
62. Telstra outpost @ 100 km - "..no water in 89..". Fenced.
62a. Lyndon R. R/A
63. ? now gone ? Windmills @ 100 km
64. Minilya r/h - pleasant campsite, bore water OK, bottled water for sale.C
65. Minilya + 48 , Windmill ,(was "Windmills 80 km. N of Carnarvon")
67. Carnarvon -
"some of the best food in
67 a. R/A on E side. Shelter & tables.
68. Wooramel r/h . ** friendly new owners, fresh pastries ! Tap water still OK .(unfriendly in 89 , what a memory !) - Camp kitchen w/ radio. 2001 : proprietors took a copy of this list!
69. Overlander r/h -. ** Will give rainwater on request ( be polite ). basic campsite
Side trip to Shark Bay
69a. Hamelin Pool: rainwater for campers
69d. Monkey Mia
70. Billabong r/h. ** : Rain water for cyclists 50c/litre on request. C/p.
70a. "Nerrun" sheep station . water on request
71. Rest area with Roads Dept. serviced tank @ 70 km from B'bong.
72 a . Loop via Kalbarri ( less traffic & pretty) | b. Kalbarri | c. Port Gregory
73. Binnu - store || 74. [changed]
75 a : Drummond Cove c/p & R/H
76. Geraldton. 24
hr email at Shell stn. B/s at " Bicycle
Entrepreneur" tel 08 9964 1399 < firstname.lastname@example.org >. NB : new road
76a. Greenough Hamlet. Showers & email. Drinking Water available from tap at picnic area on Southern end of historic area 300 metres from Hwy near cafe.
76b. Seven Mile Bend - R/h, Caravan Park, Small Shop, Limited water.
77. Dongara - R/H
& c/p. t/o here to avoid traffic on
77 a : Western Flora Nature Reserve. 800 m off the road. Water
78. Eneabba r/h. 2000 : Miners mess hall is great.
79 & 80. Half Way Mill r/h. or Warradge r/h
81. Badgingarra r/h - Some work available in area. C/p with tent sites.
82. Cataby r/h. Email @ Ampol.
83. Reagans Ford -r/h. C/p Do not camp south of r/h at bottom of hill in river reserve. You will probably be ejected. C/p is well equipped
84. Gin Gin – Hotel, C/p at Shell R/h and water tap out front.
85. Muchea - r/h,
86. Bullsbrook -
89. Leeman ( supplies, van park etc)
90. GreenHead ( camping)
91. Jurien ( all facilities)
93. ( Dandaragan - shop & nice camping)
94. Reagan's Ford
97. Quinn's Beach
98. Burn's Beach - join cycle path to ...
2006 : Kevin Peirce
2002 : Randy & Jody Miller, Andrea & Peter
2001 : Catherine Langbridge, Mike Vermuelen
2001 : Belinda Van Straaten
2000 Claire & Bob Rogers
2000 Bernd Lackner
1999 Pat Barley & David Fuller
1989 Notes provided to Bicycle SA by Colin Rogers
"Crossing Australia's North [by Bicycle ] " ( 1990, Julia Thorn 141 pp ) pocket size format . Detailed route guide for Townsville-to-Broome and Darwin / Kakadu region. Useful history and other observations. ( Kangaroo Press ISBN 0 86417 305 9 )
Bush Camps & Rest Areas
The Gibb River Road 2000
Philipp Wuethrich <email@example.com>
Schwandenallee 23, 6047
Note: I did the ride after a very heavy wet season which lasted much longer than expected. therefore there was plenty of water in almost all of the rivers. This probably will not be the case later in the year or after less heavy rain.
road sealed for the first 69 km, then good, hard dirt road. flat, straight
2. bush camp - Windjana Gorge (35.9 km):
water, showers, telephone at Gorge campground, water in
road good, hard to Windjana Gorge turnoff, then rocky and corrugated
(21 km). recommended sidetrip to Tunnel Creek (37 km from Windjana Gorge)
3. Windjana Gorge - Apex Creek bush camp (87 km)
road very sandy for about 10 km after turnoff to Windjana Gorge, then good, hard and smooth.
4. Apex Creek camp - roadside bush camp (65 km)
water in Lennard Gorge (sidetrip 7.5 km one way , beautiful gorge, turnoff 7 km past Apex Creek, rough track, had to walk last 1.5 km) ; water at Bell Creek, groceries and drinks at Imintji Aboriginal store (39 km past apex creek), water at Grave Creek (5 km past Imintji store);
road to Bell Gorge (29 km one way) was closed.
road very rocky for the first 14 km after Lennard Gorge turnoff, then sealed for about 3 km and better after that.
5. bush camp - Galvans Gorge (61.3 km):
water at Adcock Gorge (sidetrip
5 km one way, rough track), & at
road corrugated, but wide
6. Galvans Gorge - Manning Gorge (Mt Barnett roadhouse):
water at roadhouse & at Manning Gorge (7 km from roadhouse).
camping at Manning Gorge (sidetrip
7 km) or free at
road sandy in places
7. Manning Gorge - North Creek (91.7 km):
water at Mt Barnett River Gorge (5 km sidetrip, camping possible),
road sandy in places
8. North Creek -
road from North Creek to Kalumbura Turnoff (road to Mitchell plateau) , for about 20 km very sandy, quite unrideable in places.
water at Durack River (24 km after
camping at the station (showers, toilets, small shop)
road good, had just been graded
Jacks Waterhole - Home
water at Bindoola Creek (40 km after Jacks Waterhole),
road sandy in places
no camping at Emma Gorge only expensive, upmarket apartments
road corrugated like hell after El Questro turnoff.
Port Hedland+67kms and 9kms off road Indee Station Stay
Pingu Creek, Port Hedland+146kms(aprox), - appeared to be permanent water.
Auski R/H, Port Hedland+303kms
Tom Price (town)
Bellary Creek - Tom Price+20kms (several crossings - first at approx 20kms) - good permanent water.
Paraburdoo - Tom Price+80kms
Paraburdoo to Nanutarra, Local has advised good water , but will confirm next message.
Australian Bicycle Camping Fact Sheets – Kimberley
The Stuart Highway : Coober Pedy to Port
Goolarabooloo People (
Claire & Bob's narrative is at http://www.HearingCommSys.com/Bob-Claire/
This information is provided and maintained by grassroots cyclists without funding of any sort. No responsibilities can be accepted for errors or omissions.
Back to Bicycle Fish