|The first LEAVER to Australia of our
mob was Thomas. He took awhile to find as I knew his age at death in 1879
was 58 and that he died in South Australia, and this was all I knew. With
a birth year of around 1821 (depending on month) he wasn't born in South
Australia as it wasn't colonised until 1836. Took about two years but got
it in the end.
LIST of Immigrants per Ship “Steadfast”
arrived on 26th March 1849 gives the following details:
Another report gives his Parents' names as Daniel and Mary.
The STEADFAST left Plymouth on 24th November 1848, arriving N.S.W. 26th March 1849.
I then went to the 1851 census for Sussex. Went through the lot, no Backlin but there was/is Beckley. I can just imagine him giving his details to the Immigration Board official with his country English accent and it being written down with him saying Beckley and the official hearing Backlin. For the whole of Sussex there were only three Leaver families ( and two other households with a servant Leaver) and all were in Beckley. The eldest "Head of Family" was a widower, Daniel. The two other households were the right ages to be his sons. I think it a reasonable assumption of proof at this stage but will not be satisfied till I have more "proof".
What follows is the families as I have it to this point of Daniel and his children and then the direct line ancestors for myself.
While in Queensland I came across a book,
"The Leaver Family 1874 - 1986" by Lillian Maude Eaton. There is no apparent
connection but I have compiled a database in my Brothers Keeper program.
The database has 599 naames of which 78 are Leaver. As this book was written
and published in 1986 I guess there a a few more of that mob by now. The book
starts with George LEAVER, b 20 Feb. 1850, Berkshire, England who migrated
to Australia in 1874.
I have a fair bit more than what is below. My database goes back another 2 generations (so Daniels sibling do not appear below etc). But if your reading this I want you to contact me for more so I can get some from you as well
DESCENDANTS of Daniel LEAVER
1. Daniel LEAVER, b. ABT 1776, Beckley,
Sussex, England, (son of Charles
3. James LEAVER, b. ABT 1816, Beckley, Sussex,
England He married Louisa ,
4. Charles LEAVER, b. ABT 1821, Beckley,
Sussex, England He married Jane,
5. Thomas LEAVER, b. ABT 1821, Beckley,
Sussex, England He married
Children by UnknownF
1. William LEAVER, b. 26 Jun 1947, Collie,
Western Australia, occupation Taxi driver.
3. Florence Margaret HASTINGS, b. 17 Jan
1916, Lambeth, Kensington, England,
5. Mabel Gertrude BEARD, b. 14 Oct 1871,
6. John Harry HASTINGS, b. 29 Oct 1891,
St. Albans, London, England,
7. Margaret LEES, b. 1 Nov 1892, Lambeth,
London, England, d. 1 May 1945,
Great Grand Parents
9. Matilda HUMPHREY. Death cert.of
Charles Henry shows mother as Humphreys,
10. Alfred William BEARD, b. 7 Sep 1835,
Hobart, Tasmania, occupation Smelter,
11. Emma COLEMAN, b. ABT 1847, South Wales, d. 6 Jan 1885, Cobar, New South Wales.
12. John HASTINGS, occupation Shoe hand. He married Eliza SMITH.
13. Eliza SMITH.
14. Arthur LEES, occupation Stonemason (Journeyman),
15. Emma FARNHAM.
Great Great Grand Parents
17. Mary COLEMAN..
20. George Samuel BEARD, b. 22 Jan 1797,
England, occupation Hatter, d. 18 Oct 1871,
21. Rebecca BABINGTON, b. 23 Feb 1805, East
Kirby, Lincolnshire, England,
22. Timothy COLEMAN. He married Ann WILLIAMS.
23. Ann WILLIAMS.
3rd Great Grand Parents
33. Elizabeth BRANN.
42. Edward BABINGTON, b. Oct. 1773, Spilsby,
Linc., England, d. 18 Jul 1828, Hobart,
43. Mary BROWN, b. 1771, d. 1 Feb 1831, Tasmania
4th Great Grand Parents
65. Elizabeth (LEAVER).
84. Christopher BABINGTON, b. ABT 1725,
Old Bolingbroke, Lincolnshire, England,
85. Susannah WILSON, b. 1740.