Morawa Museum banner

INDEX     (A-B) / (C-E) / (F-I) / (J-M) / (N-R) / (S) / (T) / (U-Z)

AUSTRALIAN WINDMILL MANUFACTURERS - A - B

A / B

ABRAHAM, John
    John ABRAHAM commenced operations manufacturing windmills and pumps in Ballarat East, Victoria from at least 1880 to 1900. The Abraham windmill incorporated a patented mechanism, governing the mill speed with blade pitch regulation. The largest mill had a fan of 36 ft diameter. The first record of an Abraham windmill comes from the Melbourne International Exhibition of 1880-81. ABRAHAM was awarded a silver medal of first order of merit, for his windmill. The mill had a 12 ft wheel and was mounted on a cast iron pillar and bed plate. In 1890 the Victorian Railway Department adopted some of these mills "for the purpose of filling the elevated water tanks for locomotive supply." Between 1907 and 1910 ABRAHAM leased the business to DAY & SLOAN who continued to build the ABRAHAM windmills. John ABRAHAM founded the BULLDOG ENGINEERING COMPANY around 1886. After ABRAHAM's death in 1914 the BULLDOG works were purchased by W. F. OSBOURNE, who had worked for ABRAHAM. OSBOURNE continued production of the windmills and diversified into the production of the BULLDOG oil engine circa 1918. The engine was a close copy of the American WATERLOO BOY gasoline engine with curved spoke flywheels. The low tension ignition was substituted with a magneto and sparkplug. It is believed that 500 - 600 BULLDOG engines were produced up until the late 1920's. In later years the company was an agent for the Blackstone horizontal diesel engine and claimed to be a pioneer of oxy-acetyline welding in the district. Another BULLDOG product was their hydraulic and mechanical clothes hoists. OSBOURNE ceased trading in the mid 1960s and the works were demolished along with another old foundry in Little Bridge Street. In 1971 the site became a carpark and supermarket.
ACE WINDMILL
    - see - (S) SAUNDERS ENGINEERING CO. LTD
ACME WINDMILL
    Available c1954 from MALLOCH BROS, Perth. The name MALLOCH BROS is clearly embossed on the gearbox. In appearance it has a lot of characteristics typical of an ALSTON design. MALLOCH BROS were the agents for ALSTON in Western Australia and it is possible that upon the demise of the ALSTON company, some of the parts were used in the production of the ACME windmill. It was a twin geared windmill and the main gears are on axles bolted into the front and rear of the main casting. It uses roller bearings and has two rather unique features. The tin helmet for the gearbox has a section built into it to allow the pull-out chain for the tail to run into the gearbox from outside. The chain runs in a pulley fitted into the top edge of the main casting. The second feature is that the main gearbox casting is fitted on the mastpipe below and separate to the pitman arm and pump rod guides. It seems to have been a short lived mill sold after the Second World War, when windmills were hard to get. Consumer feedback indicates that the windmill was not a good performer.
ADELAIDE FOUNDRY
    Of Victoria Street and North Terrace Adelaide. Run by A. Jones & Sons. In September 1878 they advertised as Engineers, Millwrights, Iron and Brass Founders, Smiths and Boilermakers, selling, among other things, windmills and double-action pumps, on hand or made to order.
AERIAL WINDMILL
    - see - BALAKLAVA FOUNDRY.
AERMOTOR COMPANY
    (1888 - ). Chicago, Illinois, USA.
   IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. ENGINEERING SUPPLY CO OF AUSTRALIA    Brisbane, Queensland.
  2. GEO. P. HARRIS SCARFE    Applied for the trademark in 1897.
  3. James MARTIN & Co LTD    At least the period 1892 - 1910. PUMPING AERMOTOR windmill - by the time scale of importation he would have imported at least the following - the "1897" model made from 1890 - 1897, possibly the "1898" model, a roller bearing windmill which was apparently only made for that year, the "1899" model made from 1889 - 1903, the "1903" model made from 1903 - 1905 and the "RA" model made from 1905 - 1915. He also may have imported the POWER AERMOTOR, which was a power mill made from the late 1880's until the 1920's
  4. W. D. MOORE & Co -W. A.    1895/6 - 1937+ probably into the late 1940's. This time scale would cover that of MARTIN's, plus add the oil bath models which could include the Model "502" made only in 1915, but definitely includes the Model "602" made from 1916 - 1933 and the Model "702" made from 1933 - 1981
  5. ROBISON BROS & CO    South Melbourne.
AERMOTOR WINDMILL
    - see - BRADBURY, R.
    - see - (C-E) John DANKS & SON PTY LTD.
    - see - (J-M) W. D. MOORE & CO.
ALDOUS, Arnie
    Originally a member of the firm of ALDOUS BROS in Boston, [NSW ?], he later lived at Brundee, NSW beside his store. It is hard to provide figures but one farm group had eleven of his windmills. He made all his own patterns for the cast parts of the windmill. He would catch the morning train from Bomaderry to the HOSKINS FOUNDRY at Port Kembla and return the same night with the castings. ALDOUS windmills were seen as far away as Mudgee.
  1. Early model    This had a hub made from two 30 cm steel plates bolted onto a crank. The spokes radiated out between the spokes which were joined at the outer ends by two light steel straps to which the blades were fitted at roughly 45 degrees. The tail was attached to a drum floating in a tank at the base of the windmill. The water level in the shut off tank was high it shut off the windmill. It was mounted on a four legged tower 4.5 to 6.1 metres high.
  2. Self oiling geared windmill    Designed in the 1930's. These were produced up until the outbreak of World War Two.
ALERT WINDMILL
    - see - (S) SAUNDERS ENGINEERING.
    - see - (S) THE SPEEDY WINDMILL AND PUMP COMPANY.
ALGER, Charles Frederick
    Charles Frederick ALGER of Bourke St, Melbourne, Victoria was granted US patent 656,922 on August 28 1900. The windmill he patented used a worm drive on the hub shaft to turn a single back geared main gear below it which operated a pitman arm in a slot for the final drive.
ALICE SPRINGS ROTARY DRIVE WINDMILLS
ALSTON, James AND SONS PTY LTD
    James ALSTON was born on the 21/9/1850 at Southwark and arrived in Australia from England with his parents in 1861. He served a 4 year apprenticeship in the iron trade. During 1874 he established a business in Warrnambool, Victoria, operating as a blacksmith and agricultural machinery manufacturer. Some of his earliest patents for windmills were issued in 1884, but it would appear that his interest in the subject dates from some years previous. The earliest known patent illustrations show an all metal open wheel type of mill. Then in 1886 he patented an all metal windmill with a modern multi sailed wheel. By 1890 hundreds of his windmills were operating in the western districts of Victoria alone and he was well on his way to dominating both the Australian and South African windmill market. The company's headquarters appears to have moved in 1897 to the Queensbridge Works, Moray St, South Melbourne. They were still known as JAMES ALSTON in 1904. Known as JAMES ALSTON and SONS by 1920. By 1924 there were over 50,000 ALSTON windmills in use. In the last known issued catalogue for "JAMES ALSTON AND SONS" c1930 he claimed that he was the originator of the all metal curved windmill blade and it would appear that there is some justification for this view. His own slogan of the period was " I make windmills a special line, not a side show".ALSTON, for much of the life of the company until the outbreak of World War Two, held the lions share of the Australian windmill market and also exported to countries such as China, India and parts of Africa. James ALSTON's last known windmill related patent was issued in the mid 1930's and after he died in 1943 the company went into gradual decline, becoming moribund in the 1950's, until in about 1960 it went into bankruptcy. The shortage of manufacturing materials after the war and less competitive designs led to diminished sales and allowed other companies such as METTERS and SOUTHERN CROSS to take over the market. The company was later redeveloped when the modified ALSTON design windmills were again manufactured by Port Weber, a division of the company of D.E.C. WEBER of Beaconsfield, Victoria. Another point of interest with the ALSTON influence on windmill production was that several of the men behind the manufacturer of other Australian windmills received their training at the ALSTON works. Among these are Thomas GRIFFITHS (No relation to GRIFFITH Bros), Percy WEBB, James McCLURE of BRUCE and McCLURE, R. H. WILSON and maybe Harold ROBINS. It appears that there are still some ALSTON models known only by photographs.
    Addresses.
  1. Warrnambool, Victoria. [1874 - ]
  2. Queens Bridge [Works], Moray St, South Melbourne, Victoria. [1897 - c1924].
  3. 2 - 26 Maffra St, South Melbourne
ALSTON WINDMILLS PTY LTD
    Gisborne, Victoria. Advertising as makers of windmills, towers, tanks stands, pumping gears, sheep, cattle and pig troughs in 1962.
ALTHOUSE WHEELER AND COMPANY
    c1873 - c1890.
ALTHOUSE WHEELER COMPANY
    c1890 - c1935. American windmill manufacturer in Waupun, Wisconsin which operated from the 1870's to the mid 1930's.
    IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. - see - (U-Z) WOODIN & LITTLE.     1881 - c1887. WAUPUN VANELESS windmill - imported into New Zealand as well. Some of the windmills imported into Australia were ALTHOUSE windmills which were WAUPUN windmills made under licence to ALTHOUSE WHEELER by WOODIN & LITTLE of San Francisco, California.
  2. THROSSELL, Geo. L. & CO    Company based in Northam, Western Australia. The Principal, Geo. L., was the son of the Premier of that time and in 1896 took over the machinery section of his father's general business. The company was known to have sold windmills in 1899 and specifically ALTHOUSE WHEELER windmills in 1900-1 but no longer advertised them by November 1906.
ALTHOUSE WINDMILL
    - see - ALTHOUSE WHEELER COMPANY.
    - see - (U-Z) WOODIN & LITTLE.
ALTHOUSE WINDMILLS
    Shown as manufacturing the windmill in 1887. May be the ALTHOUSE WHEELER made WAUPUN windmill. Their illustrated advert in 1883 for ALTHOUSE windmills shows what appears to be the WAUPUN windmill.
AMERICAN ADVANCE WINDMILL
    - see - AMERICAN WELL WORKS.
AMERICAN WELL WORKS
    American manufacturer of Aurora, Illinois.
    IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. UNKNOWN [Sydney agent].    AMERICAN ADVANCE windmill
ANDERS, A.
    1865 - . Manufacturer in Freeling, South Australia.
ANDERS, E. & SONS
    The founder E. ANDERS started the company c1870 in Freeling, South Australia as a general agricultural implement manufacturer.
ANDERS, W. T. KING WINDMILL FACTORY
    Born c1872. He first came to Balaklava, South Australia in 1890 and then after an absence returned in 1902 to work for Walter BLAKE. Took over the factory c1904 at Balaklava previously run by William WILLIS. He was awarded a medal by the Balaklava and Dalkey Agricultural Show in 1906 for his windmills. These were erected as far away as Mannum, South Australia. His son Ted took over the business after his return from WWI. W.T.ANDERS died in 1961. The company W. T. E. ANDERS still existed in 1976, although by then it had been sold out of the family.
ANDREWS & SONS
    Manufactured windmills in Portland, Victoria from 1906 to 1909.
AQUA WINDMILL
    - see - JAMES ALSTON & SONS PTY LTD
ARTHUR & PERRY
    Listed as a manufacturer at Lytteton Tce, Bendigo, Victoria in 1935.
ATLAS Co OF ENGINEERS
    Operated from the corner of Latrobe, Queen & Franklin Streets, Melbourne Victoria. Importer of the Althouse windmill circa 1887.
   In 1887 Scott & Young, Atlas Company of Engineers, Latrobe and Queen Streets, Melbourne, also advertised an Althouse windmill, but they claimed to be the patentees and sole manufacturers. They offered the windmill with a choice of the stock sizes ten, twelve, fourteen and sixteen foot plus the stated that that larger sizes could be made on demand. Their advertising shows a tower platform with Althouse written on it, and what appears to be a Raymond windmill. It is possible that they may have had an arrangement with the American company.
ATOM WINDMILL
    - see - (A-B) ALSTON WINDMILLS PTY LTD.
AUSTRALASIAN IMPLEMENT COMPANY
    Company literature gives a start date of 1880. - see - (U-Z) WOODIN & LITTLE.
AUSTRALASIAN IMPLEMENT & HOUSE FURNISHING CO
    This is the continuation of the Australasian Implement Company. Address in 1927 is North Terrace and Bank St, Adelaide. - see - BAKER MANUFACTURING COMPANY.
TOP
BABY WINDMILL
    - see - (S) STATE IMPLEMENT AND ENGINEERING WORKS.
BAGSHAW, J. S. & SONS
    Sold or manufactured windmills somewhere in the period 1896 - 1909.
THE BAIRDS COMPANY
    Western Australian general merchant and mail order company, who offered in their 1939 catalogue, a windmill under their own name.
BAKER AND HAMILTON
    - see - ALTHOUSE WHEELER COMPANY.
BAKER MANUFACTURING COMPANY
    1875 - 1960's. American company in Evansville, Wisconsin which manufactured windmills from 1875 to the 1960's.
    IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. AUSTRALASIAN IMPLEMENT & HOUSE FURNISHING CO.     Imported the MONITOR Steel windmill - 1927 and the MONITOR Self Oiling windmill - 1927
  2. Unknown.     MONITOR Vaneless (either model "L" or "M" or both c1912 - 1940
  3. GEO. P. HARRIS SCARFE & Co - Fremantle.     Applied for the trademark 'MONITOR' in 1902. Importing from at least 1918. MONITOR Steel windmill - 1918. MONITOR Self Oiling windmill
BAKER, G.
    General agricultural implement manufacturer at Georgetown, South Australia.
BALAKLAVA FOUNDRY
    The founder Walter BLAKE was born in Hawick, Scotland in 1851 and brought up at Smithfield S. A. where he began his trade under his father. In 1876 he moved to Balaklava, South Australia and set up for himself manufacturing general farm implements in Edith St. Advertised as having a branch in Port Wakefield in 1893. Applied for a windmill patent with Joseph H. HORWOOD in 1894. He took 1st prize for his windmills at the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Show, Adelaide. Acquired by THOMAS ULLMAN & SONS in 1902. He was also an undertaker. His sons John and Joseph were also in the business.
BATEMAN, J. & W. LTD
    Wholesale grocers, Wine & Spirit Merchants, Hardware Merchants, Ship Chandlers and General Importers.
Addresses.
  1. Perth, Western Australia. 1913
  2. 848 Hay St, Western Australia. 1928 - 1934
  3. 373 - 377 Murray St, Perth, Western Australia. c1937 - 1945
  4. Fremantle, Western Australia. 1913 - 1928
  5. 77 High St, Fremantle, Western Australia. 1934
  6. Corner Henry, Croke and Mouatt Sts. & High St. Fremantle. Western Australia. 1945.
  7. Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. 1913 - 1945
  8. Dugan St, Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. 1934
BENNIE, JOHN C.
    Listed as a windmill maker at Coonieah in the Darling Downs district, in Wise's Post Office Directory for Queensland 1903.
BEWS, JOHN
    Came from Port Augusta in South Australia to the Brymaroo district north of Jondaryan, Queensland. He was advertising as a blacksmith in 1898. Built about five windmills, one of which is on display at the Jondaryan Woolshed. Later went to Toowoomba.
BIG BILL WINDMILL
    - see - (C-E) JOHN DANKS & SON PTY LTD.
BILLABONG WINDMILL
    - see - (C-E) JOHN DANKS & SON PTY LTD.
BLAKE, Walter
    - see - BALAKLAVA FOUNDRY.
BLESING, C. E.
    Manufacturer in Jamestown, South Australia.
BOBS WINDMILL
    - see - BRUCE & McCLURE.
BOBTAIL WINDMILL COMPANY
    Manufactured at Wrotham Park, Bunning Rd, Cnr Toodyay Rd, Gidgegannup, Western Australia. Originally an all welded, tailless and gearless design which was fitted to a stayed pole tower. Available in fan sizes from 6 to 10 ft. The original model was derived from the New Zealand made FERGUSON Windmill.
BOOMERANG WINDMILL
    - see - (S) STATE IMPLEMENT AND ENGINEERING WORKS.
BOOTH MACDONALD AND CO
    For details on the windmills see NEW ZEALAND WINDMILLS
    IMPORTERS AND SELLERS
  1. McBRIDE, Martin & Co    Shepparton / Mooroopna area. CARLISLE windmill 1889.
  2. MASON Fredk    33 Elizabeth St, North Melbourne. CARLISLE Windmill 1888
  3. MORRIS, ROBERTS, & MEEKS    23 and 25 Little Collins St West & Bourke St West. 1888
BORMANN ENGINEERING
    Of Woodside, South Australia. They carried on production of the FABRO windmill after CHAPMAN & SAUNDERS ceased production of it. This windmill then passed to the manufacture of ROB'S WATER SYSTEMS.
BOSKER WINDMILL
    - see - (F-I) GEO E. FORTESCUE & SONS LTD.
BOWJON
    - see - NEW ZEALAND WINDMILLS
    IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. WINDPOWER AUSTRALIA     The BOWJON windmill water pump made in Burbank California USA was sold in Australia by Windpower Australia in Austral, NSW. in 1991. It used an air compressor driven by the windwheel. Four blades 7ft 9in diameter 8.4 cubic inch compressor.
BRABY, Henry
    Henry BRABY of Ayr, Queensland was granted USA patent 686,200 on November 5 1901 for a most unnusual windmill. It was a chain driven and back geared windmill which used two semi-circular blades set at right angles to each other and at about 45 degrees to the hub shaft.
BRADBURY, R. & Co.
    Of Beula and Horsham, Victoria. Applied for the trademark "AERMOTOR in respect of windmills" in 1902.
BRAND & DRYBROUGH
    - see - (C-E) CLEVELAND FOUNDRY.
BRAYBROOK IMPLEMENT CO.
   Of Braybrook, Victoria.
BREBNER & KEEFE
    Windmill manufacturer of Scotland St, Balaklava, South Australia. Charles KEEFE was originally employed as a machinist by Walter BLAKE. He went into partnership with BREBNER c1902. Produced a windmill in 1902. Advertised windmill in 1911. Also undertakers. Acquired by AHRNS BROS during the 1920's and closed down in the 1950's.
BRECKLES, W. & CO
    Hardware merchants of East St, Rockhampton, Queensland. Advertised as an agent for Alston's Patented Windmills in October 1904.
BREER, W.
    Windmill manufacturer from Cobram, Victoria who was manufacturing windmills 1904 - 1908.
BRITANNIA FOUNDRY
    The proprietor was James ROBINSON who was born in Lincolnshire in 1857 and came to South Australia c1883 and started up a machinery works.
BRITANNIA IRONWORKS & EAGLE FOUNDRY
    - see - (S) STEVENS, James.
BROADFOOT, Herbert
    N.S.W. manufacturer. Herbert BROADFOOT applied for several windmill and pump related patents, trademarks and designs in the period 1929 to 1938.
BROWN , Albert
    - see - BROWN BROTHERS
BROWN BROTHERS
   The principals of this business in Cressy were William and Albert BROWN, the sons of Robert BROWN, an earlier windmill manufacturer in Beeac. They were advertising as manufacturers in January 1910 and are thought to have been producing windmills from 1909 to 1912.
BROWN , Robert William
    Robert William BROWN was born at Lethbridge, Victoria in 1851, and moved with his family moved to Beeac, Victoria in the early 1860's, where they were amongst the earliest settlers. His father was a carpenter, and Robert also joined the trade at an early age, until by the mid 1870's the two men were working together as "BROWN & SON Carpenters" in a premises on the corner of Lang and Weston Streets. In 1874 he married Mary PIERCE, and over the next several years the couple had eleven children. She apparently also helped with the business and when she died in 1948 it was reported that she assisted in the construction of the windmills. Robert appears to have entered the windmill business by 1891. He sold out in 1900/1 to James PROWSE, who continued to use the same premises. During his time in the trade he is known to have produced at least two different models of windmill.        
    After selling the business he stayed in Beeac until about 1923, before moving to Colac, where he died in August 1935, aged 85. During this time he appears to have made at least one other windmill. This was a fairly primitive fabricated variation on his open crank cast design, but used wooden block bearings. The fan was about four feet in diameter, and the approximately ten foot high galvanized tower was riveted together.
    Two of his sons were William and Albert BROWN, who manufactured windmills at Cressy as "Brown Bros".  
BROWN , William
    - see - BROWN BROTHERS
BRUCE & McCLURE - Engineers and Brass Founders
    Windmill producer of Lava St, Warrnambool, and Murtoa, Victoria (1902 - 1909) and Fitzroy St, Geelong, Victoria (1916 - 1920). Proprietors were Edwin James BRUCE and James McCLURE. The company was listed as a windmill manufacturer in Wise's Victorian Post Office Directory of 1904 and a full page pictorial advert was included. Patent No. 15569 of 28 August 1909 for improvements in windmills was granted. The Lava street site was 90 ft frontage by 250 ft deep. The business was acquired by OWEN.
BRYAN BROTHERS
    Australian born brothers, Archie Mark BRYAN (1870 - ) and Thomas Pearce BRYAN were operating as BRYAN BROS. by November 1899. They also manufactured stoves, tanks, tank stands and other articles sold throughout Victoria, NSW and South Australia. Listed at Gravesend St in 1902. They shifted premises in 1902 and set up a foundry. Listed at Corangamite Street in Wise's Victorian Post Office Directory of 1904. Another factory was opened in West Footscray in 1925 which operated until c1932. Other addresses listed for them are Gellibrand St, Colac & Irvine St, West Footscray. They developed a unique wind wheel design which used the sail mounting brackets as part of the wheel bracing structure. The blades were crimped at both ends and were riveted not bolted to the brackets. The rims and arms were constructed of galvanised angle iron. In 1944 the Colac business was sold to R. A. BORCH. A private company "BRYAN BROS and BORCH " was set up in 1960 and windmills continued to be manufactured in Colac until 1975 when the EPA put an end to the factory on pollution grounds. By having components sourced from foundries at Geelong and Melbourne, they were able to continue production of cast iron windmills until 1980. After this to compete cost wise, they produced a steel fabricated gear box, steel machine cut gears and sealed ball bearing races. In 1987 they were bought by "Colac Water Supply Specialists" and "BRYAN WINDMILLS COLAC" was formed with three additional shareholders.
BRYAN BROS. & BORCH PTY LTD
BRYAN BROTHERS AND JONES
      This appears to be the earliest format of the company that became BRYAN BROS. The partners were George BRYAN, Archie Mark BRYAN and Ernest JONES, millwrights. They commenced business with a loan of 18 pounds from the National Bank after being refused by the Bank of NSW. The partnership was probably established in either 1888 or 1890 depending on the source and lasted until August 1893. Ernest JONES may not have been a foundation member.
BRYAN, JONES AND BRETT
    In 1893 BRYAN BROTHERS AND JONES changed when George BRYAN left to be replaced by Percival BRETT. This partnership lasted until April 1897.
BRYAN AND JONES
    This partnership begun in 1897 appears to have ceased by at least November 1899 when the business was trading as BRYAN BROS.
BRYAN WINDMILLS COLAC
    Later name for BRYAN BROS. & BORCH PTY LTD.
BUCHANAN WIND MILL COMPANY.
    Buchanan, Michigan, USA.
   IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. WELCH, PERRIN & CO.    Melbourne, Victoria. 1888 - 1893. Buchanan windmill 12ft.
BULLDOG ENGINEERING COMPANY
       - see - (A-B) ABRAHAMS, John
BULLOCK ELECTRIC MNFG Co LTD
    They were at 859 & 861 Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia.
BURNS AND TWIGG
    Founded in 1875 in Rockhampton, Queensland. Principals were William BURNS and Edward Foster TWIGG. The company were ironfounders and general hardware merchants. In 1903 they patented and manufactured a solid wheel, vaneless, self reefing type windmill. They imported and sold the Challenge Dandy windmill between 1905 and 1921. They manufactured the New Dandy windmill between 1921 and 1942. The company is still in business in Rockhampton in 2011.
BUSY B WINDMILL
    - see - (C-E) JOHN DANKS & SON PTY LTD.
BUTLER COMPANY
    Butler, Indiana, USA.
   IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. NORMAN AND CO.    Adelaide, South Australia. 1910 - 1914. Butler steel windmill, probably the Butler Improved Single Gear windmill.
BUTLER, William
    Windmill manufacturer who operated from West Maitland, NSW in 1910 and Bolton St, Marrickville, NSW in 1916. Windmills known to be manufactured in 1916.
TOP