Morawa Museum banner

INDEX     (A-B) / (C-E) / (F-I) / (J-M) / (N-R) / (S) / (T) / (U-Z)

AUSTRALIAN WINDMILL MANUFACTURERS - C - E

C / D / E

CARPENTER, H. & CO
    Of South Melbourne. This machinery merchant apparently sold windmills made for them by Roy ROBINS. The YARRA windmill was very similar to the ROBINS EUREKA.
CARRA & GREGORY BROS
    Windmill manufacturers of Rainbow, Victoria, who produced a windmill in 1906 and 1908.
CHALLENGE COMPANY
    Made in Batavia, Illinois USA.
IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA (or sold by)
  1. ANTHONY HORDEN & SONS LTD    Sydney, NSW. CHALLENGE STEEL 1913-1920, CHALLENGE 27, c1934, produced from 1927 - WWII
  2. BURNS & TWIGG    Rockhampton, 1875 - 2011. DANDY windmill imported from 1905 - 1921. NEW DANDY windmill manfactured between 1921 and 1942.
  3. JAMES MARTIN & Co    Sydney, c1910. DANDY windmill marketed as the CLIPPER, produced from 1891 - 1920's
  4. LANGWILL Bros & DAVIES PTY LTD    South Melbourne, VIC. CHALLENGE STEEL c1913.
  5. GEORGE WILLS & Co    Perth, WA. CHALLENGE STEEL c1911.
  6. McLENNAN & CO    Brisbane, QLD. CHALLENGE STEEL
  7. ROBERTS & CO    Hobart, TAS. CHALLENGE STEEL
CHAMP & WEST
    Shown in 1897 as being at Lake Street, Perth, Western Australia and manufacturing windmills.
CHAPMAN & SAUNDERS PTY LTD
    They produced a windmill before 1979 which was later made by BORMANN ENGINEERING, Woodside, South Australia. At that time their address was PO Box 54, Clarence Gardens, 5039. In c1979 they purchased the windmill business of T. H. VARCOE and they continued production of VARCOE windmills until December 1984 when DEAN & McCABE was set up.
CHERRY & CHECKETTS
    Cherry & Checketts manufactured windmills and other agricultural implements in Sale, Victoria. The principals of the business were George Addey CHERRY and John CHECKETTS. The partnership which carried on business as engineers, ironfounders and general blacksmiths, was dissolved by mutual consent from the 19th of October 1903. The windmill had a corrugated iron tail and the metal blades were fitted between the wheel rings. Advertised in the G.F. Witton's Commercial Directory of Victoria in 1895.
CLARK
    Known windmill manufacturer. He was appearing in the rates books in Colac as early as 1885 as a tinsmith, but there is at present no information confirming the period over which he produced windmills.
CLARKE, T. & SONS
    Listed as manufacturers in Colac, Victoria in 1906
CLEVELAND FOUNDRY
    Engineers, contractors and shipbuilders who also manufactured well-boring plants and sheep & cattle troughing in Townsville, Queensland. Advertised in Wise's P.O. Directory of Queensland in 1903.
CLIMAX
    Heavy open geared windmill with steel windwheel and tail. - see - CLIMAX
CLIPPER WINDMILL
    - see - CHALLENGE WINDMILL CO.
THE CLYDE ENGINEERING Co LTD
    The origin of the company is with William Henry HUDSON who in 1843 migrated to Australia with his family via New Zealand. In 1855 he with his son Robert established a joinery workshop in Hudson St, Redfern. In 1863 they became known as HUDSON & SONS. He handed over the business to his sons in 1866 and in 1883 building began on new premises at Duck Creek near Granville, NSW. There was a CLYDE windmill advertised in 1888 by HUDSON BROS Limited of Sydney. Unfortunately the company went into voluntary liquidation in 1897. The company re-emerged in 1898 run by William NOAKES (NSW agent for John FOWLER & CO (Leeds) LTD) and members of the HUDSON family. Through the life of the company the focus had been rail, but they did produce windmills at the CLYDE WORKS, Granville, NSW in 1905, Auburn, NSW in 1910. Martin Place, Sydney - Office 1909 - 1920.
COBBLEDICK, T. G.
    Of Franklin Street, Traralgon, Victoria. In 1908 he advertised as agent for several makes of mills including Alston's. Tanks and troughs made on the premises.
COBDEN TURBINES
COHOE, A. J. & SONS
    Andrew J. COHOE arrived in Australia from Canada in 1889 with a wife, two young daughters and less than ten pounds of money. He commenced employment with a Victorian firm and was given the task of altering a machine used for winnowing grain. This was successful and the machine was patented by its original inventor, SUDOLTZ. In 1892 SUDOLTZ employed Andrew COHOE and a partner named WALSTER to start an engineering works in Junee NSW to manufacture these winnowers and other agricultural machines under the trade name of ECLIPSE. The bank collapse of 1893 crippled the business but the invention of a new machine to lay poison baits for rabbits saved and rebuilt the company until it at one time employed 60 - 70 men. Unfortunately the hot dry climate and strenuous working conditions affected Andrew COHOE's health with serious lung trouble, so upon doctors advice, he moved to Toowoomba, Queensland in 1905. He commenced another business with his son-in-law under the name of COHOE and PENFOLD to biuld harvesters and other agricultural machinery. However the machines were not suited to the moister climate and with the imposition of severe Government tariffs, the manufacture of harvesters was abandoned. COHOE turned his attention to windmills, firstly as a maker of windmills for other machinery agents, and then as the maker and distributor of ECLIPSE WINDMILLS and WELLBORING MACHINERY. The business manufactured windmills in Brook St, Toowoomba, Queensland. It was also known as the ECLIPSE IRON WORKS. Both names were used until at least circa 1918. It became the ECLIPSE WINDMILL CO. LTD. in 1920.
COHOE and PENFOLD
    - see - COHOE, A. J. & SONS.
COMET PUMPS AUSTRALIA
    Took over the manufacture of COMET windmills from RAPID RAIN PTY LTD in 2002. The then principals were Darren & Melissa FITZGERALD. Name changed to Comet Windmills Australia Pty Ltd in 2004.
COMET WINDMILL
    - see - (J-M) FRED METTERS & CO.
    - see - (J-M) LAVER, H. R.
    - see - (U-Z) SIDNEY WILLIAMS COMPANY.
    - see - (U-Z) U.S. WIND ENGINE & PUMP COMPANY.
COMET WINDMILLS
    Address in New South Wales. 255a George St, Sydney [1927].
COMET WINDMILLS AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
    Formerly Comet Pumps Australia. Proprietors Darren & Melissa Fitzgerald. Manufacture of COMET windmills takes place at Macksville, NSW. Address in January 2009 is P.O. Box 340, Macksville, NSW, 2447. Website
COOEE WINDMILL
    - see -JOHN DANKS & SON PTY LTD.
CORBET, JAMES
    He was the son of John and Sarah CORBETT, and was born at sea on board the Allen Kerr during the families trip to Australia in 1841. James married Jane McPHERSON in 1863 at Geelong, and is first recorded at Beeac on a land transaction in 1886, although both he and his parents may have been in the area previous to this date. His mother died that year, and both of his parents are buried in the Beeac cemetery.
    He appears to have been farming for an income up until about 1891, when he started a blacksmith shop on fifty acres of land he had begun leasing in 1889, before purchasing it the following year. The site of the premises was one kilometre north of Beeac on the south east side of the present intersection of Corbett Road and the main road to Cressy.
    When he started making windmills is unknown but at least two versions were produced.
    James CORBETT was eighty years of age when he died at Beeac on the 17th of May 1921. Details on the mills themselves are uncertain, but there appears to have been at least two types.
COUNAHAN, F. J.
    Listed as a manufacturer at Sale, Victoria in 1940. Advertised as an agent for Metters K windmills in 1940.
COUPER & CO
    - see - (U-Z) VULCAN FOUNDRY (QLD).
CRIBB & FOOTE
    General merchants of Ipswich, Queensland from 1849 - 1949 and possibly longer. Between 1910-1914 imported the IDEAL and IMPERIAL windmills manufactured by the Canadian company, Goold Shapley & Muir of Brantford, Ontario.
CROPLEY, Wyndham
    Listed as a manufacturer at North Melbourne, Victoria in 1910 to 1913.
CROSS, C. A.
    Windmill manufacturer of Hamilton, Victoria. Produced a windmill in 1913.
CROWN WINDMILL
    - see - (S) SAUNDERS ENGINEERING CO LTD.
CYCLONE WINDMILL
    - see - (A-B) BRYAN BROS.
TOP
DALBY WINDMILL & MANUFACTURING CO. LTD
    circa 1910 in QLD
DALGETY
DANKS, John & SON PTY LTD
    John DANKS arrived in Australia in 1857. The firm of JOHN DANKS & SON PTY LTD was founded in 1859 in Melbourne. They began as a plumbing business , established by brothers John and Samuel. By 1880 DANKS had been making their CANVAS SAIL windmill.     Addresses
  1. 119 Liverpool St, Sydney in 1881
  2. 363 Pitt St, Sydney in 1896
  3. 324 - 330 Pitt St, Sydney in 1899 - 1930
  4. Doody St, Alexandria, NSW
  5. 63 Ashmore St, Alexandria, NSW.
  6. 391- 403 Bourke Street, Melbourne, for 100 years. 391 from 1896
    The company quickly grew to include factories in Melbourne and Sydney, which manufactured and supplied a variety of plumbing and engineering products such as brassware, pumps, windmills and bells. Following John DANKS' death in 1902, his son Aaron (later Sir Aaron) led the company. In 1928 Aaron's son, Fred, became Chairman and Managing Director upon his father's death. DANKS HOLDINGS LIMITED was formed in 1951, as a public company and JOHN DANKS & SON PTY LTD became its wholly owned subsidiary. At this time, the company was operating retail and wholesale shops in Bourke Street, Melbourne, and Pitt Street, Sydney, as well as its manufacturing plants in Melbourne and Sydney. In 1948 they exhibited at the Royal Melbourne Show. In the mid 1950s, the decision was made to phase out retailing and manufacturing, to concentrate on distribution to independent hardware dealers.
DAVEY, Thomas & Co
    Melbourne company which exhibited the EMPIRE windmill at the "National Agriculture Society of Victoria" show in October 1872. Another EMPIRE windmill, presumably by the same manufacturer, was erected at Champion Bay, Western Australia in 1875.
DAY, William
    Listed as a manufacturer at Caniambo, Victoria in 1910 and 1911. Listed as a manuacturer at Shepperton, Victoria from 1912 to 1914.
DAY, William [Wm] & SON
    Windmill manufacturer of Caniambo, Victoria [1910 - 1911] and Shepperton, Victoria [1912 - 1914] who produced a windmill from 1910 to 1914.
DAY & DATE
    Windmill manufacturer at Shepperton, Victoria who produced a windmill in 1915.
DAY & SLOAN
    Michael John DAY and William SLOAN were windmill manufacturers in Ballarat East, Victoria who produced a windmill 1909 - 1912. Advertised the ABRAHAM'S EVERLASTING windmill c1900.
DEAN & McCABE WINDMILLS PTY LTD
    Of 2 Ramsay Avenue, Mount Gambier, South Australia in 2011. Set up with the sole purpose of operating the windmill business of CHAPMAN & SAUNDERS in December 1984. website
DEHLE, BENNISON & CO
    Hobart, Tasmania. see - (S) STOVER MANUFACTURING AND ENGINE COMPANY.
DEFIANCE WINDMILL
    - see - (F-I) HARRIS SCARFE SANDOVERS. - see - DEFIANCE Windmill
DEXTER WINDMILL COMPANY
    This American company had its genesis with a patent granted in 1868 to Albert H SOUTHWICK for a vertical axis windmill. After operating for a short time under the name of A.H.SOUTHWICK & Co, he started the DEXTER COMPANY in 1875 in San Francisco. Then in c1884 he returned to Des Moines, Iowa, where he marketed the windmill as the TURBINE Windmill. C1885 is the last record of the mill.
DICK BROS.
    Machinery merchants of Elcho Street, Hamilton, Newcastle who also advertised as millwrights in the 1904 Wise's P.O. Directory of N.S.W.
DON WINDMILL
    - see - (J-M) MOUNT BARKER IRONWORKS.
DONOVAN & McCRAY
    Sydney, NSW.
    - see - (S) STOVER MANUFACTURING AND ENGINE CO.
DORIS WINDMILL
    - see - (J-M) FRED METTERS & CO.
DOT WINDMILL
    - see - (A-B) JAMES ALSTON & SONS PTY LTD.
DREADNOUGHT WINDMILL
    - see - (F-I) GEO E FORTESCUE & SONS LTD.
DUTCH, Charles
    - see - (J-M) MOUNT BARKER IRONWORKS.
DUTCH BROS
    - see - (J-M) MOUNT BARKER IRONWORKS.
DUX WINDMILL
    - see - (S) STATE IMPLEMENT AND ENGINEERING WORKS. - see - DUX Windmill
TOP
EAGLE FOUNDRY
    Appears to have been in business from c1888. Operated by James STEVENS Jnr. at North Laura, South Australia.[c1891]. In October 1891 he advertises that he is going to erect buildings on ADAMSON BROS land.
ECLIPSE COMPANY
    This is an advertising reference and the actual company could be one of several.
    RESELLERS
  1. H.P. GREGORY & Co    17 Pitt St, Circular Quay, Sydney
  2. H.P. GREGORY & Co    63 Bourke St, Melbourne
  3. H.P. GREGORY & Co    2 & 4 California St, San Francisco. [1885]
ECLIPSE IRON WORKS
    This appears to be the previous name of the ECLIPSE WINDMILL COY. LTD. The ECLIPSE IRON WORKS were established in 1905 as an agricultural implement manufacturer in Toowoomba by Andrew J. COHOE who already had many years experience in manufacturing in the southern Australian States. The works were gradually extended and windmills and boring plants were included. These were so successful that they became the principal items of manufacture. The original works appear to have been in Brook Street, Black Gully under the management of E. A. COHOE, eldest son of the founder. The city offices and showroom appear to have been at the corner of Russell and Railway Streets. The office and works were later listed under the ECLIPSE WINDMILL COY. LTD. at the corner of Ruthven and Campbell Streets.
ECLIPSE IMPLEMENTS PTY LTD
    Manufactured a windmill in 1909 at Ascot Vale, Victoria.
ECLIPSE WINDMILL
    CARLYLE, USA manufacturer. (Presumably imported - no other reference) It is possible that it is actually the windmill made by BOOTH MACDONALD in New Zealand.
    - see also - COHOE A. J. & SONS.
    - see - EAGLE FOUNDRY.
    - see - (T) TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY CO. LTD.
ECLIPSE WINDMILL CO. LTD
      Previously known as A. J. COHOE & Sons and the ECLIPSE IRON WORKS, it became the ECLIPSE WINDMILL CO. in 1920. The Managing Directors of the company were E. A. & H. J. COHOE. The opportunity arose to purchase land at the corner of Ruthven and Campbell streets, and the new factory and offices were built. The factory was on land alongside the main workshop of the foundry of the TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY CO. They amalgamated with the TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY in 1925. The COHOES became shareholders of the TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY Co. and took up managerial positions in it. The company expanded into Western Australia in 1926 under the direction of Mr H. J. COHOE. The windmill continued to be offered for sale by the new owners although they were offering parts only by 1926.
ECONOMY WINDMILL
    - see - (F-I) GEO E FORTESCUE & SONS LTD.
    - see - (F-I) GRIFFITHS BROS & CO.
ELGIN WINDMILL COMPANY
      The ELGIN WINDMILL COMPANY was an American manufacturer that commenced operating in its own right in 1887 and continued making windmills until the 1940's. The factory was at Elgin, Illinois.
IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA OR SOLD BY.
  1. MOTOR TRACTORS PTY LTD 369-385 Wattle Street, Ultimo, NSW. Agents in 1948, but no supply available at that date. ELGIN WONDER??
ENSOR & BUCKINGHAM
      Manufacturers in Queensland. Commenced production in mid 1881 with an order for two mills. Their original factory was at the rear of Mr W. WOOD's Golden Fleece Hotel, which was located (presumably) in Toowoomba. The metal parts for these machines were supplied by Griffiths Foundry, Toowooomba.
EMPIRE SELF REGULATING WINDMILL
    - see - Thomas DAVEY & Co.
ENGINEERING SUPPLY CO OF AUSTRALIA
    Brisbane, Queensland. - see - (S) STOVER MANUFACTURING AND ENGINE CO.
ENTERPRISE WINDMILL
    - see - (T) TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY & RAILWAY ROLLING STOCK CO.
EOLUS WINDMILL
    - see - CLYDE ENGINEERING CO LTD.
ESAM, John
    Warrnambool manufacturer in the period from at least 1873 to 1880. Seems to have made transitional type windmills.
EUREKA WINDMILL
    - see - (N-R) ROBINS & GRIEVE.
    - see - (N-R) ROBINS, Roy.
    - see - (T) TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY & RAILWAY ROLLING STOCK CO.
EVERLASTING WINDMILL
    - see - (A-B) ABRAHAMS, John.
EXCEL WINDMILL
    - see - (A-B) The BAIRDS COMPANY.
EXCELSIOR WINDMILL
    - see - (J-M) MOUNT BARKER IRONWORKS.
EYRES, BLACK & CO
    They were McLEAN BROS & RIGG of Adelaide. Advertised windmills in 1892 - 1894.
    - see - (U-Z) U.S. WIND ENGINE AND PUMP COMPANY.
TOP