Morawa Museum banner

INDEX     (A-B) / (C-E) / (F-I) / (J-M) / (N-R) / (S) / (T) / (U-Z)

AUSTRALIAN WINDMILL MANUFACTURERS - F - I

F / G / H / I

FABRO WINDMILL
    - see - (A-B) BORMANN ENGINEERING.
    - see - (C-E) CHAPMAN & SAUNDERS.
    - see - (N-R) ROB'S WATER SYSTEMS.
FAIRBANKS MORSE AND COMPANY
    This American company took over control of one of the original US windmill companies in 1890. The original company befor various name changes had been L.H.WHEELER & SONS started in 1867. FAIRBANKS MORSE & CO were based at Beloit, Wisconsin.
   IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. DANGAR, GEDYE, & CO. LTD    Sydney, New South Wales. - ECLIPSE windmill 1916 - 1917.
  2. MALLOCH BROS    Perth, Western Australia. - ECLIPSE windmill 1916 - 1917.
  3. WARDLE, Jas & CO    Adelaide, South Australia. ECLIPSE windmill 1916 - 1917.
  4. WEBSTER & CO    Brisbane, Queensland. ECLIPSE windmill 1917.
FEDERATION WINDMILL
    - see - (J-M) METTERS LTD - K MODEL REBADGE.
FITZROY WINDMILL
    - see - (U-Z) SIDNEY WILLIAMS COMPANY.
FITZROY COMET WINDMILL
    - see - (U-Z) SIDNEY WILLIAMS COMPANY.
FLINT & WALLING MANUFACTURING CO
    1878 - early 1950's.Made in Kendallville, Indiana, USA. Their automatic windmill shut offs in both sizes were also imported.
    IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. BARTRAM, J. & SON PTY LTD    586 - 588 Bourke St, Melbourne. STAR MODEL 12 - 1914 - 1919.
  2. BATEMAN, J. & W. LTD    Perth and Fremantle, Western Australia. From at least 1908 - 1945 or later. [STAR MODEL 12 - 1913 - 1919. STAR MODEL 24 - 1928 - 1934. STAR ZEPHYR - c1937.
  3. BELL, James & CO    109 Fitt St, Sydney. STAR MODEL 12 - 1914 - 1919.
  4. DANKS, John & SON PTY LTD    STEEL STAR windmill - 1904. This was sold prior to the advent of their own mills.
  5. DUCAN LOANE    Esplanade, West Devonport, Tasmania. STAR MODEL 12 - 1914 - 1919.
  6. SHAW, Alfred LTD    Flinders St, Townsville, Queensland. STAR MODEL 12 - 1914 - 1919.
FLIRT WINDMILL
    - see - (J-M) METTERS LTD.
FLOOD, Frederick
    Windmill manufacturer of Melbourne, Victoria. Produced windmills 1893 - 1894.
FORTESCUE, Geo. E.& SONS LTD
    c1900 - c1940. George FORTESCUE was born in Shepperton, Victoria. He established his agricultural machinery manufacturing business about the turn of the century in Arncliffe, a suburb of Sydney. He was the initiator of the welded steel plate gearbox in Australia with the introduction of the ECONOMY windmill. The company was absorbed by the FEDERAL MACHINERY COMPANY c1940 and completely disappeared within a few years. Sold in W. A. by ELDER, SMITH & Co c1932.
FULLER WINDMILL
    - see - FULLER, Caleb.
FULLER, Caleb
   This business was flourishing in 1921. At that time they sold windmills throughout the Wimmera and Mallee of Victoria, with some being erected in New South Wales, South Australia and King Island. FULLER also had several contracts to supply windmills to soldier settlement areas including the Terrinallum Estate. The largest known FULLER windmill was one of eighteen foot wind wheel diameter, which was erected on the Mount Noorat estate. It was pulled down prior to 1981. The factory was in Gray Street, Terang, Victoria. The business may have been continued on by his son Edward at his business at the corner of Baynes and Shadforth Streets, and a few mills were assembled by FULLER's grandson, Ross MURFITT who worked from that site Ca.1981.
TOP
GARRAWAY, George W.
    Manufactured a windmill at Bendigo, Victoria from 1911 to 1914.
GEM WINDMILL
    - see - (U-Z) US WIND ENGINE & PUMP COMPANY.
GODFREY and SONS
    They constructed seven windmills for Mr A. FALKINER, a sheep farmer on the Queensland, Darling Downs in 1882/3, and were in court in February 1883 attempting to obtain payment of 127/3/1 [about $254.31]. Richard GODFREY appears to have been the principal of the company. The defendant claimed that the windmills were not delivered within the agreed two week contract time. This point was disputed and in general it is difficult to assess which of the two stories was more correct. Twelve windmills were ordered according to the company. One was completed and delivered, two were sent to Jondaryan railway station and four other complete windmills were still at the company's foundry at the time of the court appearance. The castings were copies of an existing mill which Godfrey and Sons had access to. FALKINER by this time had ordered six unidentified windmills from Melbourne.
GOLDEN CITY IMPLEMENTS
    Windmill manufacturer in Bendigo, Victoria. Sydney OSBORNE, Richard AVARD and William MITCHELL commenced business in 1872 and were known as the CENTRAL FOUNDRY. They were soon in financial trouble and branched out into agricultural machinery before selling in 1889 to BRIGGS, SWALLING, WAKE & LEANEY, who renamed it GOLDEN CITY AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS. They began manufacturing windmills in 1908. The business was acquired by O.H OSBORNE in 1930.
GOOLD SHAPLEY & MUIR COMPANY
    Canadian windmill manufacturer of Brantford, Ontario. Established in 1892 by E. L. Goold, W. H. Shapley, John Muir and Henry Heigh. The company ceased in the mid 1930's.
   IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA OR SOLD BY
  1. CRIBB & FOOTE.    Of Bell and Brisbane Streets, Ipswich, Queensland. IDEAL and IMPERIAL 1910-1914.
GREGORY, H. P. & CO
    Address at 25 New Pitt St, Sydney. Imported the ECLIPSE windmill.
GRIFFITHS, Enoch J.
    Windmill manufacturer in Port Fairy, Victoria who produced windmills 1909 - 1911.
GRIFFITHS, Richard G.
    Windmill manufacturer in Warracknabeal, Victoria who produced windmills 1917 - 1920.
GRIFFITHS, Thomas
    This business was established in Scott Street, Warracknabeal about 1905, and by 1910 had an established name for the windmills produced there, as well as a reputation for acetylene gas installations and general plumbing work. Another source lists this name from 1913 - 1914.
GRIFFITHS, Thos & SON
    Listed as a windmill manufacturer in James St, Port Fairy, Victoria 1905 - 1908, and Warracknabeal, Victoria 1913 - 1914.
GRIFFITHS & ATHERTON
    c1871 - 1873. After emigrating from England in 1871 George Washington GRIFFITHS and his brother-in-law W. ATHERTON, set up an Ironmongery and Agricultural Equipment repair shop in Ruthven St, Toowoomba, Queensland. In 1873 ATHERTON left the partnership and shortly after John Alfred GRIFFITHS arrived and GRIFFITHS BROS & COMPANY commenced.
GRIFFITHS & DAWE
    Windmill manufacturer in Warracknabeal, Victoria who produced a windmill in 1915.
GRIFFITHS BROS & CO
    1873 - 1884. In c1873 GRIFFITHS and ATHERTON became GRIFFITHS BROTHERS. In 1874 they purchased two acres of land where the TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY was to be built. The TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY opened in 1876. In 1884 they became a public company called the TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY and RAILWAY ROLLING STOCK MANUFACTURING CO. LTD. Up until this time the mills were usually made to order and the design frequently was modified to suit a customer's particular requirements. The mills and towers were predominantly of wood, with the wheel operating behind the tower.
GRIFFITHS WINDMILL
    - see - GRIFFITHS BROS & CO.
TOP
HALL, JACK
    He produced windmills at Beeac, Victoria, between 1922 and Ca.1939. All of his known windmills were of a double crank design. One mill photographed bearing his name is an oil bath type with a rounded appearance to the gearbox and cover, and with a bar holding a pulley extending well above the cover.
HALL & BURTON
    The Beeac Gala Week 1928 Booklet contained an advert for Hall & Burton windmills, Beeac.
HALLADAY STANDARD WINDMILL
    - see - (U-Z) US WIND ENGINE & PUMP CO.
HARRAP, A. & CO.
    Agricultural machinery merchant of Launceston, Tasmania. In October 1890 they displayed a Carlyle windmill, which won first prize, at the Northern Agricultural Society Show in Launceston.
HARRISON, ISAAC
    Isaac HARRISON was born about 1835. His business was established Ca.1863, but a site is not identified for it until 1870, when a house and shop at the corner of Scott and McNicol Streets, Camperdown appear in his name. By 1884 he had moved to a house and workshop on Manifold Street. The first collected record for Harrison windmills occurs in 1895. At that date MURRAY Bros of Mercer Street, Geelong are also advertising as makers of the Harrison windmill. As they had a foundry they may have supplied the cast parts. A sub branch was started at Cobden by Isaac's son George HARRISON Ca.1899. Isaac was buried at Camperdown in February 1903, and the business passed into George's name later that year. In 1913, both businesses were still in operation. The main premises and factory appears to have covered a considerable area. By then it was a large establishment selling a wide range of products including, items made in its factory. These included tanks, tinware, and windmills. About thirty tradesmen were employed by the company at that time. George HARRISON was eighty five when died in 1948. A closing date for the business is not known,nor the date of the last windmill production. HARRISON also sold other windmill brands.
HARRISON WINDMILL
    see - HARRISON, ISAAC
HARRIS SCARFE, Geo. P. & CO
   Addresses
  1. Gawler Place, Adelaide. - 1881
  2. Perth, Western Australia. - 1918
  3. Fremantle, Western Australia - 1918
    - see - (A-B) BAKER MANUFACTURING COMPANY.
HARRIS SCARFE & SANDOVERS LTD
    Harware and General Merchants, Engineers & Manufacturers.
Addresses
  1. Head Office and Showrooms, Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia - 1950
  2. Factories, Aberdeen and Newcastle Streets, Perth, Western Australia. - 1950
  3. Fremantle, Western Australia. 1950
  4. Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. 1950
  5. London. England. 1950
HARROLD BROS.
    A photograph of the Adelaide Spring Show in October 1892 shows the Harrold Brothers display with an Iron Turbine windmill bearing "Harrold Brothers / Adelaide / Sole Makers" on the tail vane sheet, and the next collected advertisement for Harrold Brothers in March 1894, now only of North Terrace claims that they are the "Patentees and sole makers of.....Harrold's Improved Iron Turbine Windmill." Similar adverts appear until December 1894. Unless evidence to the contrary is available, this means that the windmills over this period were an Australian product.
HAYES WONDER WINDMILL
    - see - ERNEST HAYES [NZ] LTD
    Australian agents were PORT MACHINERY, a division of D.E.C. WEBER PTY LTD.
HEPPEL, W. J.
    Of 146 Broome St, North Cottesloe, Perth, Western Australia. Applied for patents for wind power rotors c1950. Don't know if they were produced.
HERCULES WINDMILL
    - see - (A-B) BRUCE & McCLURE.
    - see - (F-I) INTERCOLONIAL BORING COMPANY.
HOOPER, E. J.
    Windmill manufacturer in Benalla, Victoria who produced a windmill - 1908 - 1909.
HORDEN, Anthony PTY LTD
    - see - (C-E) CHALLENGE WINDMILL CO.
HORROCKS AND CO
    Of William St, Perth, Western Australia. - 1886.
    - see - (U-Z) US WIND ENGINE AND PUMP CO.
HORWOOD, J. H. & CO.
    Operated from Currie Street West, Adelaide, South Australia in 1892. Company literature from 1894 suggests that the company was using the IDEAL windmill as a smaller line to accompany their larger ADELAIDE CHALLENGE windmill.
    - see also (S) STOVER MANUFACTURING and ENGINE CO.
HORWOOD BAGSHAW
HOWARD, J. & C.
    Advertised windmills in 1899. Address was 230 - 280 Pitt St, Sydney. In Wise's 1904 P.O. Directory for N.S.W. their address is listed as 280 Pitt St. Sydney. They were importers of the Perkins All Steel Windmill in 1904.
HOWIE BROS
    Windmill manufacturer in Red Cliffs, Victoria who produced a windmill in 1930.
HUDSON BROS Co LTD
    Established in 1860 by William HUDSON & son Henry in Redfern as a steam joinery works. Joined by Henry's brothers, Robert, William and George in 1876 and 1877 and became HUDSON BROS CO LTD. Liquidated in 1897 and became the CLYDE ENGINEERING CO LTD in 1898. Produced a windmill in 1885.
HUNT, J.
    Manufacturer in San Francisco, USA. Research so far has not found this manufacturer. However there was a E. O. HUNT of San Francisco in the 1860's who manufactured HUNT's ADJUSTABLE Windmill.
   IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA OR SOLD BY
  1. MARSHALL, A. A.    Exhibited it at the "Intercolonial Exhibition" of 1870 at Sydney.

TOP
IBC
    - see - INTERCOLONIAL BORING Co.
IDEAL WINDMILL
    - see - (J-M) JONES, Ernest.
    - see - (S) STOVER MANUFACTURING Co.
ILLMAN & SONS
    Took over the business of Walter BLAKE in Balaklava, South Australia. Offered windmills for sale in 1910, 1911. In about 1921 they sold the business to HORWOODS who transferred it to Kilkenny, South Australia soon afterwards.
IMPERATOR WIND ENGINE
    - see - (J-M) McGLEW, W. H.
    - see - (U-Z) VULCAN FOUNDRY
IMPERIAL WINDMILL
    - see - HORWOOD BAGSHAW.
IMPROVED ECONOMY WINDMILL
    - see - (T) TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY & RAILWAY ROLLING STOCK CO.
INGLEWOOD WINDMILL
    A forge made windmill from Inglewood, South Australia. The maker is unknown. He appears to have made at least two different windmills and may have made others. Some of the metal used to make the windmill is obviously second-hand, for example, the strapping around the tail. image
INTERCOLONIAL BORING Co
    1912 - . Formerly the INTERCOLONIAL DEEP WELL BORING & MANUFACTURING CO, a Canadian company which arrived in Queensland in 1888. They probably started making windmills in the 1880's in Brisbane, Queensland, possibly at 450 - 460 Ann Street. Address circa 1917 was 418-424 Ann Street, Brisbane. Later, as IBC-ESCA, they became a part of the DUNLOP organisation in 1968 and no mills have been made since the early 1970's. Operated from Yeerongpilly, Queensland.
INTERCOLONIAL DEEP WELL BORING & MFG CO.
    Changed its name in 1912 to INTERCOLONIAL BORING CO. or IBC. Address listed as 418-24 Ann Street, Brisbane in Wise's Post Office Directory of Queensland in 1903. A full page pictorial advert was also included. William Lindsay was the managing director in 1903.
    - see - INTERCOLONIAL BORING CO.
IRON TURBINE WINDMILL
    - see - (J-M) MAST FOOS.
IXL WINDMILL
    - see - GEO. E. FORTESCUE & SONS LTD.
    - see - (N-R) PHELPS and BIGELOW WINDMILL COMPANY.
TOP