Morawa Museum banner

INDEX     (A-B) / (C-E) / (F-I) / (J-M) / (N-R) / (S) / (T) / (U-Z)

AUSTRALIAN WINDMILL MANUFACTURERS - J - M

J / K / L / M

JAMES MARTIN & COMPANY
    Of 681 - 689 George St, Haymarket, Sydney. Imported AERMOTOR Windmills. The company operated at least within the period (1895 - 1913). See also (C-E) CHALLENGE Windmill Co.
JOHANSEN, G.
    A blacksmith from Bramfield, South Australia who also manufactured windmills.
JOHN SHEARER AND COMPANY
    Short lived Company arrangement that manufactured the METTERS M windmills. They operated from Kilkenny, South Australia.
JOHN SHEARER WINDMILL
JOHN WARNER & SONS LTD
    Long established English manufacturer and brassfounder.
   IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA or sold by
  1. R. G. WARNER & CO.    1 Lord's Place, Elizabeth Street, Hobart, Tasmania circa 1883 - 1885
JONES, A. & SONS
    Of the Adelaide Foundry, Victoria Street and North Terrace Adelaide. In September 1878 they advertised as Engineers, Millwrights, Iron and Brass Founders, Smiths and Boilermakers, selling, among other things, windmills and double-action pumps, on hand or made to order.
JONES, Ernest
   Ernest JONES was born in Essex, England in 1868, and came as a child to Victoria with his parents. He was educated as a mechanical engineer, and worked with several firms in Melbourne. In 1890 he went to Colac, where he commenced manufacturing windmills. Patentee of the "Jones Ideal Steel Windmills and Towers". In 1901 his factory was in Gellibrand Street, Colac, and he also manufactured troughs, tanks, piping and pumps. At that time he had a workforce of about six men. He was listed as a windmill manufacturer in Colac in Wise's Post Office Directory of Victoria in 1904. A full page pictorial advert was also included.
JONES, Horatio Thomas
    Engineer, inventor and recluse. Born at Naracoorte, South Australia in 1870. Before he was 20, Horatio had invented a model of a self-adjusting windmill that was displayed at the Juvenile Industrial Exhibition in Melbourne, Victoria on 28 March 1888, winning a silver medal. He died in 1949.
JUNIOR WINDMILL
    - see - (C-E) DEAN & McCABE WINDMILLS PTY LTD.
    - see - (T) THOMPSON H. C.
TOP
KILBURN, James Frederick
    James Frederick KILBURN of South Yarra, Melbourne in Victoria, Australia took out patents for his windmill in Victoria on 29 May 1886, New South Wales on 6 September 1886 and South Australia on 12 October 1886. He also took out U.S. patent no. 389,477 on 11 September 1888.
   COMPANIES OFFERING FOR SALE.
  1. McLEAN BROS & RIGG     1887 = Melbourne, Sydney & Adelaide. 1888 = Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, London and New York. Sole agents.
KINGSBURY, Alexander
    Listed as a plumber and windmill agent at Dandenong in Wise's P.O. Directory of Victoria 1904.
KING WINDMILL
    - see - (U-Z) WILLIS, William.
TOP
LACY, S. & Co
    Windmill manufacturer in York St, Sale, Gippsland, Victoria who produced windmills [1893 - 1909]. Windmill production may have begun earlier because their 'SALE FOUNDRY' was established in 1870.
LAMB and COMPANY
    Successor to FREEPORT MACHINE COMPANY and to EMMET and LAMB. Based in Freeport Illinois, USA and operating from the 1890's to the 1900's.
LANG, M. A.
    Shown in the 1932/3 Business Directory as a manufacturer at Point Street, Fremantle, Western Australia.
LANGWILL BROS & DAVIES PTY LTD
    see - (C-E) CHALLENGE WINDMILL COMPANY
    Addresses
    110 - 114 Sturt St, South Melbourne. [Machinery stores and works 1913].
    1 Queen St, Melbourne. [Office].
LAVER, H. R.
    Of Payneham, South Australia. Advertised in October 1882 as sole manufacturer of the improved Self-Regulating Comet Windmill, winner of First Prize at the Adelaide Agricultural and Horticultural Society Show, March 1882.
LENNOX, Andrew
    Windmill manufacturer in Cobram, Victoria who produced a windmill in 1903.
LITTLE BILL WINDMILL
    - see - (C-E) JOHN DANKS & SON PTY LTD.
LITTLE BOSKER WINDMILL
    - see - (F-I) GEO E FORTESCUE & SONS LTD.
LITTLE DORIS WINDMILL
    - see - FRED METTERS & CO.
LITTLE GEM WINDMILL
    - see - (N-R) PATERNOSTER, Henry George
LITTLE TOFF WINDMILL
    - see - FRED METTERS & CO.
    - see - TOFF Windmill
LITTLE WONDER WINDMILL
    - see - (T) TOOWOOMBA FOUNDRY & RAILWAY ROLLING STOCK CO.
LITTLER & BRUCE
    Importer and machinery merchant of Quay Street, Rockhampton, Queensland. Advertised in Wise's P. O. Directory of Queensland in 1903.
LLOYD, Albert E.
    Windmill manufacturer in Kaniva, Victoria who produced a windmill in 1907.
TOP
McCONNELL, Alex
    Windmill manufacturer in Yarrawonga, Victoria who produced a windmill in 1911.
McCOOK, William
    Author of the book "WINDMILLS OF THE WORLD".
McCRORY & McDONALD
    Windmill manufacturer in Mortlake, Victoria who produced a windmill circa 1905 - 1906.
McGLEW, W. H.
   William Henry McGLEW was born at Vasse, Western Australia, to Henry Daniel McGLEW and Lucy Emma-Jane BOWRA on the 26th of October 1845. He was educated at Fremantle, Western Australia before serving his apprenticeship with Solomon COOK. Then in late 1871 Fras. G. ARMSTRONG and W. H. McGLEW took over COOK's premises and business in Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia.
   This was a very comprehensive enterprise and they appear to have succeeded an efficient operator. ARMSTRONG and McGLEW purchased all of COOK's patterns with the intention of continuing to offer his full range and maintain spare parts for existing machines. These they offered to supply by description rather than require the damaged machine to be brought to Perth, which indicates good quality control for the period. There was a steam engine on the premises, which apparently powered machinery for wood, brass and iron turning and circular sawing, while farriery was also done. The product line on offer on the agricultural side covered reaping and thrashing machines, hay rakes, chaff cutters and other like equipment. There was also a trade in vehicles with wagonettes, traps, gigs, drays, wagons, timber wyms and other vehicles made to order.
   Other enterprises appear to have been involved as well as he is listed as employing fifteen Ticket-of-Leave men between 1872 and 1876 who were mainly woodcutters.
   This business continued on until McGLEW announced in a notice dated the 19th of February 1877 that he was continuing the business in his own name. By this time he was operating as the Metropolitan Iron and Brass Foundry.
   The first record of a windmill also appears this year when a meeting of the Perth City Council in October/November 1877 were discussing a pond near the public pound in William Street which was used by cattle and was becoming offensive because of both its appearance and odour. One suggestion was that "...the running stream be made to flow through the pond, and thereby lesson this evil : but what I believe would be better still is to have a large trough fixed, and one of Mr McGLEW's wind-acting pumps [which would cost, about 35] erected in the locality. By these means, this eye-sore of this part of the city could be entirely abolished by filling it in : and cattle would be able to have a drink of comparatively pure water. There can be no doubt that cows in milk drinking such water as now lies in this pond, must of necessity, have their milk affected." Records for windmills are sparse after that and no name was provided for the machine concerned, which was offered at such an early date in general Australian windmill history.
   The use of the name Metropolitan Iron and Brass Foundry does not appear to have been long lived as it is not included in the 1878 commercial directory for Perth.
   The first collected advertisement for the Imperator windmill occurs in a commercial directory for 1886, and states that McLEW was the manufacturer of this machine that was well suited for watering stock and irrigation use, and that " Several of these machines can be seen at work at the Metropolitan Railway Station pumping water for the locomotives."
   The business was still advertising "self regulating windmills in June 1889." Unfortunately is no name or description provided apart from them costing from 10 [$20] and upwards, with the smallest unit capable of pumping from four hundred to six hundred gallons an hour.
   William Henry McGLEW died on the 21st of January 1924.
McINNES, P. J.
    Of 8 Butler Terrace, Naracoorte, South Australia. Manufactured the THOMPSON JUNIOR windmills for about 10 years after THOMPSON, H. C. ceased production.
McLEAN BROS & RIGG LTD
  1. England 9 - 11 Fenchurch Avenue, London.
  2. New South Wales 512 George St, Sydney = 1899, 1900.
  3. South Australia 84, 86 88, 90 Hindley St, Adelaide. [1893]. 41 - 43 Hindley St, Adelaide. [moved there 1893 or 1895 - c1897 when the branch was wound up and the residue of stock sent to the newly opened Perth branch].
  4. United States of America 52 - 54 New Street, New York.
  5. Victoria 69 Elizabeth St, Melbourne. 190 - 192 Bourke St, Melbourne. Port Melbourne.
    - see - (U-Z) WOODIN & LITTLE.
McMASTER, Catherine Jane
    Catherine Jane McMASTER of Corfield, North Queensland was awarded US patent 854,664 on May 21 1907. The windmill she patented was in several ways similar to the "STEEL WINGS" windmill.
MANVEL WINDMILL
    - see - (U-Z) WILLIAMS MANUFACTURING CO.
MARKS, W. F.
    Blacksmith and windmill maker of Bromfield and Gellibrand Streets, Colac, VIC who advertised between 1898 until his death in mid 1900. Claimed to have received First Prize for the Best Windmill against all comers at the 1898 Ballarat Show.
MARSHALL, ALLAN A. & CO.
    Brassfounders, Coppersmiths, Plumbers of Bon Accord Works, 8 Macquarie Place, Sydney, NSW, advertised an Improved Windmill complete with pump between October and December 1870.
MARTIN, J. E.
    Windmill manufacturer in Hopetoun, Victoria who produced a windmill circa 1907 - 1910.
MASON, Frederick
    - see - (A-B) BOOTH - MACDONALD
MAST FOOS & Co [1875 - ]
    American company in Springfield, Ohio. They applied in 1885 for the Australian Trademark for the "IRON TURBINE" windmill.
    IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA (or sold by)
  1. HARROLD BROS     1882 - 1896. Adelaide, South Australia and Perth, Western Australia. IRON TURBINE windmill 8, 10 ,12 & 14 ft.
  2. GEORGE WILCOX     1881 - 1882. Adelaide, South Australia. IRON TURBINE windmill.
  3. THE STATE MACHINERY COMPANY     1905 - 1906. Adelaide, South Australia.
  4. HARRY & BURNS     1886. South Australia. IRON TURBINE windmill.
  5. SYMON, HAMMOND & HUBBLE     1886 - 1888. Fremantle, Western Australia. IRON TURBINE windmill.
  6. STATES MACHINERY AND PRODUCE CO     1907. Western Australia.
  7. MONGERS WEST AUSTRALIAN STORES     1902 - 1905. Western Australia.
  8. JAMES McEWEN & CO     1885 - 1886. Melbourne, Victoria. IRON TURBINE windmill.
  9. McLEAN BROS AND RIGG     1884 - 1885. Melbourne, Victoria. IRON TURBINE windmill.
  10. SMELLIE & CO     1888. Brisbane, Queensland. IRON TURBINE windmill.
  11. C. HARCOURT TURNER     1890. Queensland. IRON TURBINE windmill.
  12. LASSETTER, F. & CO     1883 - 1915. Sydney, NSW. IRON TURBINE windmill 8 1/2, 10, 12ft. IMPERIAL windmill 10ft.
MASTER NUOIL WINDMILL
MBP WINDMILL
    Short lived Company arrangement that manufactured the METTERS 'M' windmills. Records for 1980 to 1982.
MEADOWBANK IRONWORKS Co
    Established by John Howard ANGUS from Angaston, South Australia in c1895 at Meadowbank NSW. They produced a windmill in 1896.
MELLORS BROS (1868 - 1891)
    Founded in 1842 by Joseph MELLOR in Adelaide. It became 'J MELLOR & SONS' and opened a branch in Kapunda in 1863. In 1868 it became 'MELLOR BROS'. During this period branch factories were opened at Jamestown and Quorn, SA. The business was floated into a company and became 'MELLOR BROS (Farmers) CO - OPERATIVE'. One source has the company still existing in c1909 and operated by J.F.MELLOR.
MELLORS BROS CO - OPERATIVE Co LTD (1891 - 1895)
    Was MELLORS BROS. Created to facilitate the sale of the company's patent stump jump plough. Branch factories were set up in Meadowbank, NSW. [MEADOWBANK MANUFACTURING Co] and at Braybrook Junction, Victoria. [BRAYBROOK IMPLEMENTS Co]. The organisation was wound up in 1895 when it went into liquidation. The Braybrook factory was purchased by H. V. McKAY and the town was renamed Sunshine . Thomas TREVENA who had worked at Quorn for 12 years before managing MELLOR's Jamestown premises, purchased the Jamestown premises including the plant and continued on in business.
METEOR WINDMILL
    - see - (U-Z) SIDNEY WILLIAMS COMPANY.
METTERS, Fred & Co
    (1891 or before - still Fred in 1908 but METTERS LTD in 1910) Advertised in 1908 as offering 8, 10 and 12 ft windmills from Perth, Sydney and Adelaide. Proprietors given as F METTERS and H L SPRING. Became METTERS LTD c1909. The company also made several types of cast grave markers and other foundry goods. (other designs I will assume for the moment are in the METTERS LTD period.)
METTERS LTD
    c1910 onwards.Continued to produce the FRED METTERS & Co windmills.
    Addresses
  1. New South Wales    154 Elizabeth St, Sydney [1917 - 1931]
  2. South Australia    66 Grenfell St, Adelaide.
  3. Western Australia    William Street, Perth [1910]. 847 - 851 Hay St, Perth [1926 - 1958].
    Exported as far away as Cyprus. They were built in Adelaide, their original site and at Subiaco, Perth, Western Australia. In their later years they were the victim of a series of takeovers by other companies.     METTERS K REBADGES AVAILABLE
MIDGET WINDMILL
    - see - (U-Z) SIDNEY WILLIAMS COMPANY.
MINOR WINDMILL
    - see - METTERS LTD.
MOFFET - VIRTUE
    Established by John MOFFETT & William Wright VIRTUE of 205 Clarence St, Sydney. They produced a windmill in 1929. Later agents for WEBB and the INTERCOLONIAL BORING Co.
MONITOR WINDMILL
    - see - (A-B) BAKER MANUFACTURING COMPANY.
MONO WINDMILL
    Manufactured by MONO PUMPS (AUSTRALIA) PTY LTD.
    - see - (A-B) James ALSTON & SONS PTY LTD.
MONO PUMPS (AUSTRALIA) PTY LTD
    Of "Mono House", 338-348 Lower Dandenong Rd, Mordialloc, Victoria. Turbine pump which used a clutch to allow the windmill to start turning.
W. D. MOORE & Co
    Addresses in Henry St, Fremantle, Western Australia. [1897] and 74 - 80 Henry Street, Fremantle, Western Australia. [1932/3]. N.W. Australian Mercantile Co, of Roebourne and Cossack [Agents] [1897]. The company began in 1862 when the 27 year old (William Dalgety MOORE) commenced business as W.D. MOORE & Co. During the next three decades the business prospered and developed as wine and spirit merchants. A schooner was purchased for the trade between Fremantle and Geraldton and distribution stores were established at Cossack and Roebourne on the Pilbara coast. In 1895/6 the company expanded into importing AERMOTOR Windmills from the USA and found a market in thepastoral areas of the Nor-West. In 1900 (George Frederick MOORE) purchased the business and continued to trade in his father's name until his death in 1935. The windmill division developed along with the divisions of wholesale and manufacturing groceries, and retail and wholesale hardware. In 1929 W.D. MOORE & Co. was turned into a proprietary company. In 1931 they were offering 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 ft AERMOTOR windmills. By 1936 high tariffs had made the importing of the AERMOTOR Windmills unrealistic. Between 1935 and 1945 the uneconomical general grocery and hardware departments were phased out. In 1945 (Frederick Hamersley MOORE), a grandson of (W.D. MOORE) entered the business, so (Peter P JEFFREY) at age 70 could retire. He found a small manufacturing grocery business and windmill business for which he was unable to get stock. In 1953 he purchased the business from the company and in 1954 land was acquired at O'Connor where, with staff assistance, a factory was built. In 1955 the business moved to its present premises and general engineering had become a firm part of the business. The manufacturing groceries were disposed of. His son (Geoffrey Jameson MOORE) became the General Manager in 1979. 1976 saw the appointment of Douglas A. D. JOSLIN to the family partnership. He was responsible for the company's manufacture of windmills, and since 1969, conducted sales trips to the country areas until retiring in 1994.
MORIESON, John
    Operated in Warrnambool arround 1885. His business was the Phoenix Forge in Liebig Street.
MORRIS, ROBERTS & MEEKS
    - see - BOOTH MACDONALD - NEW ZEALAND
MOUNT BARKER IRONWORKS
    Charles E. DUTCH established the factory in 1850 at Mount Barker, South Australia. He began as part of SALMAN's foundry, down by Mount Barker Creek, Mt Barker, South Australia before going into business on his own. Still C. E. DUTCH in 1892. His sons Isaac and William appear to be the DUTCH BROS. They operated from at least 1895. Operated the "Mount Barker Ironworks ", in Mount Barker South Australia. [est. 1850].
MUNRO, David
    Born in Scotland in 1844 and migrated to Victoria with his family in 1854. In Melbourne in 1877 he patented a windage system which had the hub shaft on a hinged casting which allowed the fan to topple over in high wind. See also David MUNRO & Co. David MUNRO died in 1898.
MUNRO, DAVID & Co
    Windmill manufacturer at 154 Queen St, Melbourne, Victoria in 1881. Works at 302 Queen St in 1900. Known as Munro's Engineering Works by 1900. A large engineering and machinery business, David Munro & Co thrived during the construction and railway boom of the 1870's and 1880's. The company built Queen's Bridge and Princess Bridge across the Yarra river and are still in modern use.
MURRAY BROS.
    Iron and Brass Founders, engineer and general blacksmiths of Mercer Street, Geelong, Victoria. Manufactured the Harrison Windmill. Advertised in the G.F. Witton's Commercial Directory of Victoria in 1895. see - (F-I) HARRISON, ISAAC.
MURRAY, D. & W.
    - see - WOODIN & LITTLE.
MURRAY & DAVEY
    Windmill manufacturer in Hamilton, Victoria who produced a windmill in 1913.
TOP