Morawa Museum banner
JOHN DIGHT (1808 - 1867)

    John DIGHT was the son of another miller of the same name (John DIGHT [ - 1837]) and evidently trained as a millwright with prominent millwright John SMITH in the late 1820's and was presumably an experienced millwright by 1833.
    In that year the Ceres windmill was built at AIRDS, New South Wales for John DIGHT senior and the likelihood is that its builder was the son John. There is also the possibility that SMITH was in charge with John working under his direction. See Windflourmills - NEW SOUTH WALES - AIRDS -Ceres windmill.
    Following his father's death in 1837, the Ceres mill evidently passed to him. That same year he selected Bungowannah Park Station near Albury. DIGHT also selected a large property north-east of Albury at what was originally was known as DIGHT's Forest, but subsequently was named Jinderah. In 1838 he purchased the 10.5 hectare Lot 88 on the Yarra River at Gardner's Falls, later to be renamed Dight's Falls. This land, which was in the Parish of Jika Jika, County of Bourke, is now in the suburb of Abbotsford, Melbourne. DIGHT sold his windmill at Airds in 1840 to move to Port Phillip.
    In 1840 he and his brother Charles Hilton DIGHT [1813 - ] built the Ceres Flour watermill on the Yarra River. See - Waterflourmills - NEW SOUTH WALES - MELBOURNE - ABBOTSFORD.
    He built a small water wheel on Bungowannah Park probably sometime after 1861. See Waterflourmills - NEW SOUTH WALES - ALBURY - Bungowannah Park Station.