Morawa Museum banner

SAMSON IRRIGATOR OPEN GEARED WINDMILL - 8 & 9 ft

STOVER MANUFACTURING AND ENGINE COMPANY
 Restored Samson Irrigator open gear head 8 & 9ft model on display at the Morawa Museum     Patented in the USA on 18th September 1900 by Oscar J. Zeigler, assignor to the Stover Manufacturing Company of Freeport, Illinois, this open, double-geared windmill was imported in considerable numbers into Australia in the early 1900's. Some of the local agents included W. Sandover & Co. in Perth, WA, The Australasian Implement Company in Adelaide, SA, and Overall, McCray Ltd in Sydney, NSW.
    SAMSON IRRIGATOR windmills were available with 4 3/4ft, 6ft, 8ft, 9ft, 10ft, and 12ft wind wheels.
    The model on display in the Morawa museum was restored in 2013 from parts collected locally and from further afield in the Pilbara district, where some badly rusted and broken, but still identifiable, remains were dug up in a creek on Karratha Station.
    The Museum example doesn't have a windwheel or tail, but another restored Samson Irrigator the same size, complete with windwheel and tail can be seen alongside the Morawa - Mullewa road, approximately 18km from Morawa.
TOP