Morawa Museum banner


sketch of Metters Master Nuoil windmill from a catalogue
Tail hinge of Metters Master Nuoil windmill on display at Morawa museum     The windmill on display at the Morawa Museum is a late version of the 12/14 foot model of the MASTER NUOIL windmill. This model succeeded the NUOIL windmill which, when it was introduced in 1919, was the first METTERS oil bath design. Basically the MASTER NUOIL strengthened the original NUOIL design, improved the lubrication particularly to the nose bearing, simplified wind wheel speed regulation and in addition dispensed with the hub brake. All the bearings are of a clamped two piece white metal design and are easily replaced. This allows for the windmill to be repaired on site unless major structural damage occurs. Overall a very robust and well thought out windmill.
    The MASTER NUOIL was first introduced in 1931 and by 1934 over 1000 had been sold. They were available with 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 and 14 foot wind wheels. The 14 foot version uses the same gearbox as the 12 foot version and appears to have become available in 1934 or earlier.
    Originally designed with an oil pump, by the end of its production life it took advantage of the oil ring design that the company's MODEL 'K' windmills had utilised since 1934. The last known date for an oil pump version was 1945. The model on display is one of the oil ring type. This model has not been found in South Australia but there are several in Western Australia.
cutaway diagram of the nose section of the Metters Master Nuoil windmill
    Always considerably dearer than its stable mate the METTERS MODEL 'K', it presumably priced itself out of the market. The 6 foot version seems to have been the first size deleted, probably because the 6 foot MODEL 'K' was such a good little windmill when used properly. In 1939 you would pay $43.35 for a 6 foot MASTER NUOIL as against $20.85 for the same sized MODEL 'K'. A MODEL 'K' on a 3.7 metre painted tower was only $31.00.
    The METTERS MASTER NUOIL windmill was available at least up to 1958.
    This example was donated to the museum by a local farmer.