Morawa Museum banner

THE STAR MODEL 12 WINDMILL - 10ft

Star Model 12 windmill on display at the Morawa Museum
   The Flint & Walling Manufacturing Company, under an earlier name, started windmill production in 1878 in Kendallville, Indiana, USA. The display windmill came onto the market in 1912 and was originally available with 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 foot diameter wind wheels. Later, 18 and 20 foot models were added.
   A particular feature of this mill that was promoted by the company in its advertising was its double gears and two pitmans. The pitmans were truss-shaped for strength.
   The Star Model 12 was presumably replaced in the company's line up by the Star Model 24 windmill in 1924.
   The Morawa Museum example was donated by Lyons River Station, through the collecting efforts of Henry JONES of Boogardie Station, Mt Magnet, Western Australia.
   The Flint & Walling Manufacturing Company had agents for their windmills in most of the Australian states including J. & W. Bateman in Fremantle, Western Australia, James Bell & Co, Sydney, New South Wales, Alfred Shaw Ltd, Townsville, Queensland, Duncan Loane, Devonport, Tasmania and J. Bartram & Son Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria.
TOP