Morawa Museum banner



    Corn and other cereal grain mills have been included in this list.
    The sources of the following material are varied but can be provided upon request.

New South Wales / Norfolk Island / Queensland / South Australia
Tasmania / Victoria / Western Australia

# = An image of the mill is available via e-mail.
  1. MILL 1   Unfortunately although the following details are most likely correct they do rely on a couple of unconfirmed assumptions. This mill near Bettington Street on the high ground just past Dalgety Terrace is noted by John RAE Ca.1842 as the earliest windmill to be erected on the promontory. It is most likely that it is the post mill that Nathaniel LUCAS advertised in November 1812, offering to grind wheat for about 13 cents a bushel. However he stated that it was behind the battery at Dawes Point and not specifically at Cockle Bay Point. This mill is then thought to have become the property of John LEIGHTON [Ca.1769 - 1826), an ex-convict known locally as 'Jack the Miller'. There is an unsubstantiated, and probably unlikely story that LEIGHTON had been offered the whole of the Point as a grant if he would fence off the isthmus which then gave access to it. However, for whatever reason, this did not happen and by 1814 he had obtained several acres of land at Cockle Bay Point from 'LUCAS and WALL'. The LUCAS concerned is assumed to be Nathaniel, and it is also assumed that this land included the post mill. Another record relates the sale of a mill to LEIGHTON in March 1825 by William LUCAS the oldest son of Nathaniel then deceased. More detail as to the type of mill and other details of this transaction may well effect this entry. LEIGHTON's house was also on the ridge and presumably dates from the same period. Such illustrations as exist which are thought to be of this mill depict a wooden, four sail design on an open trestle. This is taken to be the northernmost mill. It was sited immediately below a later landmark building, 'Albion House' which was built by a Mr COOPER. LEIGHTON died in June 1826 from falling from one of the mills on the promontory. In January 1828, a mill, presumably this one, was still under the control of Ann LEIGHTON as administratrix. It is also presumably one of the mills still shown in the 1832 drawing by John THOMPSON. According to RAE this mill had disappeared by at least 1842.
  2. MILL 2   This is the second of the windmills erected at this location and as with the first mill, although the following details are most likely correct, they do rely on a couple of unconfirmed assumptions. In March 1813 James UNDERWOOD, as proprietor, announced the availability of a new windmill with French burr millstones sited near Dawes Point, that was available to Let with immediate possession. There was land granted to Joseph UNDERWOOD in 1817 for the purpose of erecting a windmill and until contrary information is available the assumption is that this was the site of the second windmill and that UNDERWOOD either had previous tenure under some other system such as a lease or just pre-empted the later grant. 'James Underwood & Co' operated a shipbuilding yard, apparently in that vicinity. As with the original mill on Millers Point it is for the moment assumed that this is the second of the Millers Point windmills despite the reference to DAWES Point in the advertising. In what may be related information, in August 1812, engineer D.D. Mathew advertised for two labourers, two quarrymen, a stonemason, a limeburner and a journeyman millwright to work at "Middle Harbour" for about three months. The reference to Middle Harbour may not have then referred to the current waters which go by that name, but this remains to be ascertained. According to RAE this was the northernmost mill and was situated west of Crown Road, later known as Merriman Street/Terrace. The evidence of various illustrations along with RAE's information support the contention that it was a tower mill.
        The following information has been placed here because, although it is not stated which of the Millers Point windmills it applies to, the tower mill would be a strong contender and we hope additional information will support the supposition. In June 1828, auctioneer BODENHAM advertised for auction, on behalf of the proprietor who was preparing to leave the colony for England, a freehold estate with an excellent windmill. It was equipped with French Burr millstones and was reported to be in excellent condition. The mill had been rented at 300 Pounds per annum. It was listed with a capacious store, suited also for the erection of a horse mill which may refer to either a store room inside or alongside the mill. The property had a deep water frontage of 150 feet and adjoined the attractive harbour side residence of Henry COOPER. This same estate and mill were evidently still for sale or lease in December 1828. The choice of the tower mill as the relevant mill is suggested by the high rental and by the adjoining property which would appear to be relevant to an 1832 drawing of the two buildings. This mill was demolished sometime just prior to 1842 when a latter owner John JONES erected a terrace of three houses there.
  3. MILL 3   The third mill to be erected at Millers Point was a wooden open trestle design with four sails and was sited in between, and probably slightly west of the other two mills near Crown Road which became Merriman Terrace. A start up date for the mill is not known but may be as late as the early 1820's depending on how Major TAYLOR's painting of Ca.1823 is interpreted or as late as 1827 depending on the accuracy of dating a Sydney suburbs map of the period. This is especially if its date can be pinpointed as back a year or two. The third mill was still standing in 1842 on land owned by a Mr DAVIS who reportedly made a bequest of the land to the Roman Catholic Church with a view to having a nunnery established there. This did not eventuate.
        This may be the start up information for mill number 3 but for this to be confirmed a new and later date has to be attributed to the map previously mentioned as dated 1822. For that reason the connection should be treated with caution. A notice for an auction conducted by auctioneer BODENHAM to occur on the 12th of December 1827 is recorded for a substantial new mill with winnowing and smut machine which had been erected in Darling Harbour, near what by then was known as Jack the Miller's Point. This phrasing of being near the point is accepted for the moment as being on the promontory. The advertisement went on to say that it had been leased for seven years at 150 Pounds Sterling per annum. The land that the mill sat on ran to the waters edge, and independent of the mill and a small hut, consisted of nearly an acre of unoccupied ground.
  1.     In 1833 machinery was requisitioned to drive two pairs of four foot diameter millstones, but no further action was taken.
  2.     There was a horizontal? windmill? at Cascade owned? by MACONACHIE which was considered inefficient by the early 1840's.
  3. POINT HUNTER    Nathaniel LUCAS built a small windmill there for himself in July 1795.
  4. POINT HUNTER    A windmill was built at Point Hunter between April 1842 and November 1844. It was a post mill and revolved around a central post, buttressed by eight quarter bars. The weatherboard millhouse had four sails and was reached by a ladder. For driving machinery there was a main drive wheel, main shaft, pinion wheel, dressing machine and gears. There is evidence that a stabilising wheel was set at the end of the tailpole. By 1844 references were being made to the mills instability. Between 1847 and 1849 a stone base was added to increase stability. The main post etc stayed in position and rollers were provided to allow the top section to move around on the new stone base. The mill was destroyed by fire sometime after the penal settlement was abandoned.