Gear Fairings 25th of April 2009.

Click me for a picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

The fairings bent and ready to be riveted. Steve had some 3/32 solid rivets left over from his Sonerai so I tried them out on the fairings.

The fairings need to be about 2" shorter than the plans measurement. Also the pattern on the bottom did not relate to anything on my wheel so I just cut them off straight.

The wheel spats went on very easily and are quite solidly mounted. They will be painted yellow and the leg fairings will be polished.

My new Tracy O Brian wheels, brakes and axels.

Since I have changed the wheels brakes and axels to the Tracy O system new mounts had to be developed for the wheel and leg fairings.

A plate mounted between the axel flange and the brake , plus an extension to the axel to attach to the fairing on the other side solved the problem with the wheel fairings. The leg fairings were a little more complicated. I procrastinated for months how I was going to do it then Steve came up with a lovely solution.

First he adopted the Lynne Jarvis dual pin system (Thanks Lynne) and then made a new lower section for the fairing and gradually cut it to shape to suit the new axels and brakes.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

The wheel fairing hardware and the leg fairings taking shape.Check the difference between a phone and a real camera.

Click me for a picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

We found having the extra section on the bottom was a really good thing as it made the shaping of it easier. We could keep removing material and sliding it down till it mated nicely with the axle.

Click me for a picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

1st of September 2011 The completed article , not 100% aerodynamic but a lot better than a bare leg. I installed a couple of washers either side of the fibreglass as the original hole was starting to get worn. I will replace all those square screws when I find some round ones.