The horizontal stabilizer and elevators 17th September 2006

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

All the internal parts for the Horizontal Stabilizer cut out but not completed.

And some parts for the elevators, The control horn (The black thing near the spinner) and the ribs.

Very similar work to the Vertical Stabilizer except there is two of everything.

The 24th of September 2006 Internal structure riveted together and in the process of installing the first skin.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

First skin riveted, I thought I would see what the elevators looked like and the tip. Hmmm I think I am getting excited.

Some more shots of the Horizontal Stabilizer coming together.

One of the most time consuming jobs is de-burring all the holes top and bottom

I have a wonderful little tool for the job.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

Almost there, apart from the paint. These tips fit a lot better than the one for the vertical stabiliser. Also I learnt a bit along the way.

I was not going to rivet the tips on till they were painted but I changed my mind, I gave them a light sand and riveted them on.

They will be very easy to mask and I get all my clecos back.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

The tail fairing 21st of March 2009 getting very close now

The tail fairing , I was not looking foward to this bit ,made more complicated by me putting the horizontal skins on upside down. I had to deviate from the plans but after destroying a few bits of cardboard and a few bits of aluminium I had a piece that was acceptable. So not so bad after all. To support the fairing at the horizontal skins I riveted 2 pieces of angle stock inside the tail.I am assured that only another builder would spot the difference.