The vertical stabilizer 26th of August 2006.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

The first part had to be made from a length of aluminium angle. The rest were made from channel stock and a few came ready made and pre drilled (The ones with the stickers on them). All in all not too difficult. I bought a new compound mitre saw which made life a lot easier.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

All the internal structure riveted together, much easier with the pneumatic rivet gun. Trying the skin on for size. The next step attaching the skin and then the rudder, I should be finished by the end of the week and then I will have a piece that looks like it belongs to an aeroplane. Next weekend I will start on the Horizontal Stabilizer and the Elevators. Must tidy up my table though, I built a 1.2m x 3.6m table and have been working in one tiny corner of it. Rule No.1 Tables, are for working on not, for storing stuff.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

The skin attached, no problems quite an easy job, the hard bit was fitting the rudder it uses two sections of hinge on the vertical stabilizer side and is difficult to get lined up so the hinge wire will go in. Also the fibreglass tip is a bit of a challenge it does not fit as nicely as I would have hoped, I might heat it up and do a bit of reforming.

The completed vertical stabilizer including rudder and fibreglass tip 9th of September 2006.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

Getting that fibreglass tip to fit was a major exercise and took a lot longer that I thought.

A second shot after I moved it down to the bottom of the bench.