The origional Azura cast wheels 16th June 2010.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

I removed the bearing outer so I could machine the centre and get the wheel running true. Notice the little ledge to stop the ring from going all the way in. If this was not there you would have great difficulty getting the ring out even with the collet puller shown. It is also the reason some people wrongly believe that the ring was not pushed all the way in. Actually I did not pull it out , I pushed it out using a standard bearing puller pushing on the collet.

The last shot is a wheel half set up to run true to the tyre bead in the 4 jaw chuck. I am machining out the bearing seat to accept a press and glue in sleve which I will then machine to take the bearing outer ring.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

My new Tracy O Brian wheels

These are dearer then the Azura origionals BUT they run very true and mate up nicely with the disc brakes from the same manuafacturer.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

Nothing is ever perfect though. There is no spacer between the bearings for the centre ring to tighten up onto , so like my origional tail wheel setup if you tighten the wheel nut the bearings lock up and if you leave it loose the bearings spin on the axle. No point in having ball bearings if they do nothing. A bit of luck for once , the little spacers supplied with the Sonex kit for setting the toe in are almost perfect for what I needed here. (I could not find them when I was setting my toe in , they turned up later.) They are about 18mm long and I need 15.5 mm for the spacers , a tiny bit of lathe work and bingo two perfect spacers. I can now tighten my wheel nuts and the bearings spin beautifully with zero play. Just how I like it.

Last picture , my balence weights. I decided to balence my wheels to stop the shudder that went through the plane just after I left the ground. The first one only needed 20 grams but this one needed 40 grams. The weights are opposite the valve tube. Don't know why one wheel needed more than the other.The weights came from the local automotive tyre shop , I got a hand full of 5 and 10 grams for $2. The 10s were too big to fit on the wheel. I just added 60 grams to my empty weight so no Iced Donuts for a week.

Click me for a big picture! Click me for a big picture!

Time to put my wheel fairings back on. Only problem is a new mounting system has to be developed , not too hard just a plate mounted between the axel flange and the brake , plus an extension to the axel to attach to the fairing on the other side.