www Email The Adjutant: SIGN or VIEW the Guestbook.
The Adjutant's Desk Search the Adjutant's Desk Fort Lytton Ft Lytton - March 1881 Article Ft Lytton - May 1885 Article Virtual Tour of Ft Lytton Ft Lytton Easter Encampments The Queensland Defence Force The 1st Queensland (Moreton) Regiment ARLHO Main Page

A Virtual Tour of Fort Lytton - The Interior


Looking east to west
Interior of Fort Lytton
  • Built:
  • Details: In the photo on the left, the slab that can be seen were for the fort offices.
Looking west to east

Looking to the left, the casements, central magazine and gun positions come into view: Inside the Fort

  • Built:
  • Details:


Inside Gun Position 1 - The 6" Armstrong Disappearing Gun. The barrel is original, but the mount and breech have been created by the Royal Australian Artillery Association (Qld Branch). This was the main armament of the Fort.

  • Built:
  • Details: The combined weight of this structure is 25 tons.


Looking back from the Armstrong Disappearing Gun - Inside Casement No. 1

  • Built:
  • Details:


Entrance Entrance to Access Gallery between GP1 & GP2

  • Built:
  • Details:

Access Gallery between GP1 &  GP2 Below the access Gallery between GP1 & GP2 showing entrance to Central Magazine (right of picture at base of stairs)

  • Built:
  • Details:


Central Magazine The front of the Central Magazine from the fort paradeg ground:

  • Built:
  • Details:


While to the left, the pump servicing the 16,000 gallon internal water tank waits once more to provide relief to a parched Fort defender...

  • Built:
  • Details:


Gun Position No.3
Gun Position 3 - The Nordenfeldt 6pdr Quick Firer. Its purpose to deal with the fast and light torpedo boats that may try and force passage (replica by the Royal Australian Artillery Association (Qld Branch)
  • Built:
  • Details: The QF was placed here in 1894. Prior to this a 64pdr was used.
Quick Firer


Expense Magazine Expense Magazine

  • Built:
  • Details:


Entrance to Submarine Mining Fire  Position Entrance to Submarine Mining Fire Position

  • Built:
  • Details:


Submarine Tunnel Submarine Tunnel

  • Built:
  • Details:


The Submarine mine firing position

  • Built:
  • Details:


Control Point for Submarine Mines Control Point for Submarine Mines

  • Built:
  • Details:


View across river from Submarine Mining Position View across river from Submarine Mining Position

  • Built:
  • Details:


Back view of  Gun  Position No.4 Back view of Gun Position No.4
Note that this hood structure was built during WW2

  • Built:
  • Details:


Gun Position 4 - The 4.7" Breech Loader (replica by the Royal Australian Artillery Association (Qld Branch). This position was formally used by one of the 64pdr RMLs now located outside the Fort. The concrete hood and this gun are additions made during the inter-war years.

  • Built:
  • Details:

Gun Positions 5 & 6 viewed from the Fort - The 64pdrs. Providing another field of fire to cover the torpedoes, these were also used for training purposes.
They were originally restored by the Arms Collector's Guild of Queensland Inc.

  • Built:
  • Details:


Command Position Command Position

  • Built:
  • Details:


Command Position Command Position

  • Built:
  • Details:

Nordenfeldt Machine Gun Position Nordenfeldt Machine Gun Position

  • Built:
  • Details:


Top of Gun Position 2 Top of Gun Position 2

  • Built: 1880 / altered WW2
  • Details: This gun position became accomodation for gun crews during WW2, with the floor concreted over.
    It should be noted that prior to this a 6" Armstong disappearing gun was situated here, and was fired for the last time in 1938.


Above Gun Position 1 - The Gun Shield. Once again manufactured by the Royal Australian Artillery Association (Qld Branch). This is a replica of the hoods that covered the guns.

  • Built:
  • Details:


Twin 6pdr Gun  Position
Twin 6pdr Gun Position

  • Built: 1943
  • Details: The purpose of these guns was defense against fast attack watercraft and other boats.


Access to twin 6pdr Gun  Position from GP2 In the background can be seen the access to the twin 6pdr Gun Position from GP2

  • Built: 1943
  • Details: As above


Back to theFort Lytton Page
Back to The Adjutant's Desk
Comments, additions, and messages to: The Adjutant (Anthony Cryan)

There have been more than visitors to this page.

© copyright 1995 to 2000
Last modified: Sunday 21st May 2000