Broomehill - Beginning the Holland Track Broomehill, like Katanning 20 kilometres to the north, was planned as a township a long the route of the Great Southern Railway, which was constructed between Beverly in the late1880's.
The town was founded under the Land Grant System, and named Broome Hill after the Governor, Sir Frederick Napier Broome. The opening of the line in 1889 was soon followed by the purchase of town lots, and the first buildings (two hotels and two stores) were erected by November of the same year. Long before the introduction of the regular time table in June 1889, settlers made good use of the railway
From August 1888, they had been travelling to and from Albany at a cost of 3d (pence) per mile and, in November/December 1888, farmers sent all of their clip to Albany by train at 6 shillings per bale freight. However, first settlement in the district was much earlier. By 1852, pastoral leases had been taken out near a pool on the Gordon River about 5 kilometres south-west of the Broome Hill site. The aboriginal name for the pool was Yeeticup meaning Singing Place or Song Camping Place, but the settlement that gradually grew nearby was always called Eticup, and it was Patrick Garrity, owner of the Eticup Inn, John Garrity and R&D Krakouer, owners of the two Eticup Stores, and another Eticup settler, Patrick Carmody, who built in Broome Hill in 1899.In 1892, the Broome Hill district, which included the areas that are now the Shires of Gnowangerup and Tambellup, was excised from the Kojonup Road Board, and a Broome Hill Road Board elected. and the Post Office Police Station were built in 1892 and both still stand today, although the latter is now the Anglican Church of St Elizabeth of Hungary and is heritage listed.
Formal schooling for children was also started in 1892. In 1893, Carmody's son John, and brothers Rudolph and David Krakouer accompanied John Holland in the blazing of Holland Track, creating a direct route from Broome Hill to the new goldfields at Coolgardie, through more than 500 kilometres of virgin country. This cut weeks off the usual journey.
The Shire of Broomehill (the spelling was changed to one word in 1959) is a farming area with cropping in cereals, canola and pulses, and sheep production for both meat and wool. It is also well known for the quality rams produced from the many stud farms within the district. Although it is a small community (present population 600), the residents successfully organised and hosted an Aquafest and Boat Show in 1999. Despite the absence of any large expanse of water, the event attracted a large number of participants and spectators, and was so successful that the event .