The Loudspeaker Kit - Transmission Line Kit
 

The Loudspeaker Kit - TL6 Transmission Line Kit Speakers

I had been searching around for a nice pair of speakers for a fair price, and all of the in-store speakers that I'd listened to and read about, were all what I considered, overpriced. The only exceptions were the Wharfdale Diamond 9 floor-standers, which I thought were nice sounding for the price and a set of Dali floor-standers which I almost bought.

I was also looking at some of the DIY options and the VAF DCX kits, which from all the reviews I have read, are supposedly a fantastic sounding speaker, were being seriously considered along with putting together my own speakers from scratch using a pair of Fostex 206e drivers.

During all of my scratching around, I stumbled on the Loudspeaker Kit forums, and was quite intrigued by the products and the prices for the DIY kits, which were well within the range. Since I am based in Perth, and with the fortunate, for me anyway, location of the company in Perth, I was able to go down to the store in Leederville and talk to the guys and have a listen to the range.

I was able to take my own amp down to the store and plug it in so I could get a better feel for how the speakers would sound with my own equipment - I also bought my Azur 640C CD from the guys there as well, so it was a real chance to listen to the entire system. I was mainly interested in the F6 and TL6 speakers, and after listening to both, I found the TL6 to be more to my liking, and was soon walking out the door with a set!

 

The Kit

The TL6 is a transmission line design, which yields a deeper in room bass response than a vented alignment. The bass is less punchy than a vented alignment, but is more natural sounding and more satisfying with music where you want to hear subtlety and musicality in the bass. The result is particularly satisfying with acoustic bass.

The woofers are Vifa WJ17-00-08 Polycone drivers with fully cast magnesium supports.
The tweeter is the Vifa DG27TG-45-06, a fluid-filled silk dome tweeter which can be found doing duty in quite a few high-end manufacturers speaker systems. The technical details can be found on the Danish Sound Technologies website for those inclined to check out the specifics.
The  crossover is a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley.

At some stage I will upgrade the inductors and the green caps.

The current inductors are 20AWG and I will probably replace them with 16AWG inductors. The caps I will upgrade to polyprops, probably Solens - I could go for AriCaps or something really pricey and exotic, but I don't think my ears are that golden that I would be able to tell the difference. :)

<<--- Click for bigger pic.

 

Construction

Construction of the speaker boxes was pretty straight forward and following the instructions as included with the speakers makes things quick and easy. The picture below shows all of the parts laid out for a dry run and to ensure I have a good fix on how it all goes together before things get serious, and messy, once the glue comes out.

< -- Click
All glued and ready for the top panel.
My trusty aide posing with the last panel ready to be dropped into place...

I might add that it's a good idea to have a friendly assistant help out if you can find, or bribe, one to lend a hand.

My first attempt at a dry run was sans assistant (I was impatient and didn't wait for him to arrive) and lead to a mini-disaster. I had the box together dry and was foolishly trying to stand it up for some reason *shrug* and in the process one of the side panels popped out and bounced onto the floor... off course it landed on a point which made a nice little bulge and a ding in the corner of the panel.

I had to make up for my foolishness with some extra sanding before the veneer.

You may have noticed the crossover mounting - I have used the speaker protection plugs that came with the drivers for my M4's as mounting devices. I simply plugged them into the PCB holes on the xovers and then glued them in place with the wood glue.

Both speakers together and clamped while the glue dries. I've got the tops weighted down with my dive belt in an effort to make sure my dinged panel settles in as well as it can.

I left the clamps on for a good 24hrs.

The full set constructed and ready to go.
Sanding the speakers in prep for the veneer. I used a 160 grit on the orbital which gave me nice smooth joins and also added a bit of rough for "keying" the glue when applying the veneer.
 

Veneering

I decided to finish my speakers using a nice timber veneer and a good polyurethane finish. I had used a matt black paint as a finish on the M4s and while I was happy with it, I wanted the TL6s to have a different and luxurious look to them. There's a separate page for the veneering process, just click the link below.

Forward to Veneering

Forward to Finishing


You are visitor number
LSK TL6s
The transmission line speaker kit from LSK

Construction

Bazza