* Wrote, produced and performed, SHADDAP YOU FACE, which continues to hold the nine times platinum record for the most successful song in Australian music history for thirty-seven years straight! Over six million copies sold worldwide, hundreds of cover versions, Youtube variations, and synch licenses, with translations into 10 languages, including Papua New Guinea pidgin and the Australian aboriginal Indjibundji dialect.
* Executive Producer, lead guitarist and co-writer of the song, INTIMACY, sung by LIN VAN HEK, and included in the classic US sci-fi film, THE TERMINATOR, one of 25 movies listed for preservation, along with films such as The Asphalt Jungle, Deliverance, The Invisible Man and In Cold Blood, for cultural, historic and aesthetic significance, by the US Library of Congress.
* Best Australian Poems 2015 (Edited by Geoff Page.)
* One hundred and twenty poems, (including twenty-eight new song-lyrics, published as stand-alone poetry), selected by poet-editor, Les Murray.
* Shortlisted for the Newcastle Poetry Prize and the Canberra Vice-Chancellor's International Poetry Prize.
* New poetry, photographs & essays published in Meanjin, Best of Quadrant Poetry 2001-2010, Island, Monthly, Contrappasso, Australian Love Poems, Etchings, Southerly, The Canberra Times, Cordite, Journey, Australian Poetry Journal, Going Down Swinging, PENMelbourne, Carmenta I & II, Eye To The Telescope, Stars Like Sand, Best of Vine Leaves, Best of Little Raven, Communion, ArtView, Overland, Rochford Street Review, Not Shut Up (UK), Tupelo Quarterly (USA), Structure & Surprise (USA) and Antipodes (USA).
* Winner of the 25th Launceston Poetry Cup, at the Tasmanian Poetry Festival.
* Founding member, with Lin van Hek, since 1992, of Difficult Women.
* Writer of MY HOME AIN'T IN THE HALL OF FAME, recorded by US artists, ROBERT EARL KEEN JR, JD CROWE AND THE NEW SOUTH (sung by Keith Whitley), JONATHAN EDWARDS, THE TUMBLEWEEDS, ROSALIE SORRELS and many others.
* Three albums released by US artists including and with Dolce songs as TITLES: 'Rolling Along,' by Jonathan Edwards, 'My Home Ain't in the Hall of Fame,' by JD Crowe and the New South, and 'Shaddap You Face,' by Lou Monte.
* Recipient of the ADVANCE AUSTRALIA AWARD.
*BRUNSWICK STREET: ART & REVOLUTION book launch, Black Pepper Press. Performance with Lin van Hek, Provincial Hotel, Fitzroy Feb.
*POETRY @ THE DAN reading and performance with Lin van Hek, The Dan O-Connell Hotel, Carlton Feb.
* AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF MUSIC, Staff: Ensemble, Composition, Lyric and Poetry Setting & Tutoring.
* POETRY AND LYRICS
- poems: J Effen K, Tucker's Caravan, Quadrant, Jan-Feb.
* AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF MUSIC, Staff: Ensemble, Composition, Lyric and Poetry Setting & Tutoring.
* AFTER THE BLOODWOOD STAFF, lauched novel, by Laura E. Goodin, poetry reading: Music 101, North Melbourne Library, Nov.
* LALOR LIBRARY, 40th birthday celebration performance, Nov.
* EXIT INTERNATIONAL, Keynote speaker,annual dinner, reading Green Dream, Old Melbourne Gaol, Sept.
* CABINET OF ODDITIES, composed work for two flutes, The Siren and Odysseus, with text by Angela Rega, Australian Institute of Music, Convo Centre, Melbourne Fringe. Sept.
* WEST WORD POETRY, Dancing Dog Cafe, featured poet, Footscray, Aug,
* FESTIVAL FOLK GORDON LIGHTFOOT TRIBUTE CD, launch, performance: 'Early Morning Rain', backed up by Rod McCormack and Liz Frencham, Albert Park, Apr.
* MELBOURNE NOIR, poetry reading, Northcote, Apr.
* A Singular Phenomenon, Futurist deconstructed biography of Joe Dolce's lifestory, by Aphids Theatre Company, nominated for Green Room Award, for Best Contemporary and Experimental Performance, Mar.
*BEST AUSTRALIAN POEMS 2015. Melbourne launch, edited by Geoff Page. Reading with Jordie Albiston, Michael Crane, Geoff Page, Peter Bakowski, Luke Beesley, Jennifer Compton, Lin van Hek, Anne Elvey, Lisa Gorton, Alex Skovron, Chris Wallace-Crabbe, Petra White and Chloe Wilson. Watsonia, Feb.
* COMING UP NEXT, podcast, with Alistair Marks, live-to-air, Mar.
* 4KQ QUEENSLAND RADIO live-to-air podcast, Feb.
* GIVE IT MOUTH, Interview with Dr Naomi Stekelenburg, Feb.
* NEWSTEAD LIVE MUSIC FESTIVAL, concerts & round-robins, 'Songs for Social Change' w/ special guest, Lin van Hek. Jan 23 & 24.
* POETRY AND LYRICS
- poem: Krampus, the Christmas Devil, Quadrant, Dec.
- poem: Boat People, in English and Vietnamese translation,Báo Giấy Vietnamese Poetry Journal, Dec.
- poem: Can You Write Left-handed Poetry? Quadrant, Nov.
- poem: The Days of Real Door-to-Door Are Done, Quadrant, Sept.
- poem: Green Dream, Verity La, Aug-Sept.
- poems: Voltaire Left, Apparition, Where is the Poetry in Pain, Ode Al Dente, Distant Relations, Ice Ann. Quadrant, July-Aug.
- poems: The Goldfish in Dad's Bag & Mosquito Net Needle. Shots from the Chamber, June.
- poem: Robin Hood Roulette, Evil Eye. Quadrant, June.
- poem: Pokie Poem. Quadrant, May.
- poems: Blackman With Dementia, Scatomancy. Quadrant, Apr.
- poems: Natte Yallock Jump Rope, Jean la Pucelle, A Charming Bath & Bonyi. Quadrant, Mar.
- poems: Sandmen, Noh Means Noh & The Daughter That Still Loves Me, Quadrant, Jan-Feb.
* ESSAYS & INTERVIEWS
- Quadrant: Ain't Gonna Work on Bob Dylan's Farm No More, Dec.
- Quadrant: The Willingness to Be Hated, Sept.
- Quadrant: Monomaths and Polymaths, July-Aug.
- Quadrant: Dire Diva of Din: Florence Foster Jenkings, June.
- Southerly: The Naked Writer 2. Final Interview with Dorothy Porter, on C.P. Cavafy. Feb.
* SHORT STORIES
- Quadrant: The Clavier Challenge: Bach vs Marchand, Sept.
* ArtView, photo gallery of contemporary poets and writer, essay: Creating One of the World's Songs, Dec.
* Best Australian Poems 2015, Blondi, edited by Geoff Page, Black Ink. Nov.
* Australian Institute of Music, 2 composition seminars, Nov.
* The Siren and Odysseus, composed work for two flutes, and story written by Angela Rega, Cabinet of Oddities, Conflux, Canberra. Oct.
* The Quill Club, benefit performance for Parkinson's Victoria. Aug.
* Rochford Street Review, review of Mark Tredinnick's Bluewren Cantos, June.
* A Singular Phenomenon, Futurist deconstructed biography of Joe Dolce's lifestory, 3 sold-out performances, w/ Aphids Theatre Company, The Malthouse, May.
* Newstead Short Story Tattoo, 2 performances, May.
* Hanoi Streets, Photographic Exhibit, Graze on Grey, Apr-June.
- Creating One of the World's Songs - ARTVIEW, Dec.
- Boat People: North and South - CONTRAPPASSO: Long Distance, Nov.
- The Popular Wobbly: The Subversiveness of Starvation Box Blues - QUADRANT, Oct.
- Salve for a Broken Childhood: The Phenomenon of Rod McKuen - QUADRANT, Sept.
- William S. Burroughs: Scientologist - QUADRANT, Apr.
- Todesengel and the Seven Dwarfs - MEANJIN, Mar.
* POETRY AND LYRICS
- poem: Clouds, The Canberra Times, 'Panorama', Dec 5th.
- poem: The Tyger, Australian Poetry Journal, Nov.
- poems: Answer Soon, Eurydice on the Ohio River, Contrappasso: Long Distance, Nov.
- poems: breakaleg, I Set a Mousetrap Late Last Night, Kilroy, Agony Aunts, Quadrant, Nov.
- poems: An Inconvenient Frogsicle, Nachtmahr, Quadrant, Oct.
- poems: Tick, The Right, Quadrant, Sept.
- poems: Blondi, Skeptic’s Friday, Spock, Leechcraft, Quadrant, July-Aug.
- poems: Bach Blind, The Goldfishes in Dad's Bag, Sexy Trash, On That Beach, Fucking Austria , Van Gogh Free Range, Sketch (in English and Arabic translation) Work By Australian Poets, July.
- poems: Arl, Music 101, Letter from the King, St Josephine, Quadrant, June.
- poems: Rime of the Ancient Gooney Bird, Masturbari, War and Peace Senryu, Reconciliation Haiku, Quadrant, April.
- songlyric: I Never Found Those Lips Again, Quadrant, March.
- poem: Dumb Phones, The Canberra Times, 'Panorama', Feb 14th.
- poems: Chess Player, A Few Words on the Birthday of Barry StVitus, Kinetoscope Beating, The Jimmy Leg, Quadrant, Jan-Feb.
* SHORT STORIES
- No Two Snowflakes, published in QUADRANT, July-Aug.
* Best Australian Poems 2014, If Hitler Also Spelled Hiedler, edited by Geoff Page, Black Inc. 2014.
* Newcastle Poetry Prize 2014, Il Voce, Shortlist & anthology. Nov.
* Not Shut Up - interview, essay and 3 poems. UK Arts Magazine. Oct.
* Carlton Neighborhood Learning Centre - Songlyric-poetry writing workshop, Aug.
* Canberra Vice Chancellor’s International Poetry Prize, My Mother Died While I Was In the Air, Shortlist & anthology. July.
* Frida Kahlo Fiesta & Look-a-Like Contest - with Lin van Hek, at Table for 18, Melbourne, July.
* The Stars Like Sand - read Job For a Hyperdrive Mechanic, launch Australian speculative poetry anthology, at Collected Works, Melbourne, June.
* Chamber Art & Coffee House - reading, Woodend, VIC May.
* Tuesday Poem - Bogong Moth, New Zealand. Feb.
- I WAS NEVER CRAZY - NOT SHUT UP (UK). Oct.
- SPEECHLESS - QUADRANT. July-Aug.
- SCATTING WITH TED JOANS- COMMUNION. May.
- GRAHAM GREENE'S LOLITA- QUADRANT. Apr.
- PRIZE FIGHTING - QUADRANT. Mar.
- MY CRAFT OR SULLEN ART - MEANJIN Mar.
* POETRY AND LYRICS
- poems: Souls, Overextended Family, Petrolhead Zen, Last Minute Gift Ideas for the Ex-, Birthday Digs, Shuffleboard, Chicago Typewriter Quadrant, Dec.
- poems: The Red Emperor, If Good News Sold Newspapers, Quadrant, Nov.
- poem: IL Voce, Newcastle Poetry Prize anthology, Nov.
- songlyrics & poem: Transportation to America, The Last Bushranger: Harry Power, and Moonlight, Not Shut Up (UK), Oct.
- poems: Lemonscent, The Poetess, Thirty-three Years Of Bliss , Lorca Said I Can Conceive, Quadrant, Oct.
- poem: Kero Aphrodisia, The Canberra Times 'Panorama', Sept 13th.
- poem: My Mother Died While I Was In the Air, Vice Chancellor’s Poetry Prize anthology, Sept.
- poem: The Hustler, Quadrant, Sept.
- poem: Place Name, Southerly Issue 74.1, Aug.
- poems: A Shoe is a Shoe is a Shoe, Everything is Fixed, Quadrant, July-Aug.
- poem: Blue Whale, A Storytelling of Ravens - The Best of Little Raven 2011-2014, June.
- songlyric: The Ballad of the Gangster Paul Kelly, Quadrant, June.
- poem: Job For a Hyperdrive Mechanic, The Stars Like Sand, June.
- songlyrics and poems: The First Bushranger:Black Caesar, Dry Whisky Tongue, Jolokia, In the Manner of Cavafy Quadrant, May.
- songlyrics and poem: Red Velvet Cake, Pigtails in Gravy, Jelly With My Cake & If Hitler Also Spelled Hiedler, Quadrant, Mar.
- poem: If Hitler Also Spelled Hiedler, Structure & Surprise (US), Mar.
- songlyric: Boat People, in English and Vietnamese translation. PEN Melbourne, Jan.
* Little Raven 2 - poem: The Blue Whale. Book launch and performance at Hares & Hyenas. December.
* Contrappasso 4 - Four poems. Cordite Brisance, Dodo, Horsewitch, Don Diego's Accordion. November.
* Society of Women Writers (Vic) - Poetry judge for SWWV Poetry Contest. November.
* Australian Love Poems 2013- Estrella, edited by Mark Tredinnick. July.
* Antipodes (USA) - Bach Blind, edited by Paul Kane. July.
* PEN Melbourne - Oum El Hazina (Sorrowful Mother), poem in English and Arabic translation. July.
* Australian Poetry -poem: Topophilia With Leunig At Officeworks, July.
* Conversations with Joe Dolce & Barry Dickins - Songs and Poetry, Kinglake, June.
* Table for 18 - Lin van Hek & Joe Dolce. Graze on Grey,Songs and Poetry, St Kilda, June.
* Creative Writing Extravaganza- Diamond Valley Library, VIC. Workshop: The Difference Between Poetry and Lyrics, May.
* Poetry @ Federation Square -- reading with Simon West. Apr.
- KO'd by J. O'K - essay on Johnny O'Keefe. ROCK COUNTRY. Nov.
- The Eros and Obscenity of Norman Lindsay - QUADRANT. Nov.
- Shadow Boxing With John Ernest Tranter - RED WOLF PRESS. Nov.
- Jikan: On Leonard Cohen - RED WOLF PRESS. Nov.
- Catholic Dea - CONNOR COURT. Aug.
- Elysium in Paraguay - QUADRANT. July-Aug.
- Wheat from Chaff - SOTTO. July.
- The Benefit of Smoking - MEANJIN. May.
- Shaddap You Facebook - MONTHLY. Apr.
- Pen, Pencil or Keyboard - QUADRANT. Mar.
- Father Scapegoat - QUADRANT. Jan-Feb.
* QUADRANT POETRY: Apr, May, June, July-Aug, Sept, Dec. 2013.
* ETCHINGS 11: THREE CHORDS AND THE TRUTH - 3 lyrics: CORETTA, DEATH OF BACH, DOMINIQUE, Feb.
* SOTTO - Australian Poetry The Seven Lighthouse Moments of Joe Dolce: Interview with Donna Ward. Oct.
* MILDURA WRITERS FESTIVAL 2012 with John Wolseley, Anna Goldsworthy, Chloe Hooper, Robert Gray, Don Watson, Chris Wallace-Crabbe, Evelyn Jeurs, Peter Robb, Liz Moore, Morag Fraser, Les Murray, Barry Hill, Drusilla Modjeska, and others. Performance of songs-as-poetry at Festival dinner. Les Murray reads aloud Joe Dolce's poem, 'INZUPARRE IL BISCOTTO', Sept.
* CARMENTA II- Two poems in the second issue launched by the Istituto Italiano di Cultura Melbourne at Federation Square, Sept.
* GOING DOWN SWINGING #33 - audio poem, TRiStan & iSolde, Sept.
* BEST OF VINE LEAVES 2012 Anthology- Poem: ITALIAN INCENSE photos: LEAF FINGERNAIL POLISH and DOMESTIC BALLET, October.
* VINE LEAVES 3- Photo: LIFESTAGE, July.
* CANBERRA TIMES - poem, Come Into Bed With Me Sorrow, Panorama, June 30.
* OVERLAND - 1 songlyric: STARVATION BOX BLUES June.
* CHANNEL NINE 'MORNINGS' PROGRAM - Live-to-air national telelvision interview and poetry reading: Ulysses for Italians, Sydney, May.
* ETCHINGS 10: THE FEMININE - Photo: LIN, April.
* BLUNDSTONE BOOTS - Photo: Goanna Boot Thief, licensed for international promotions. April.
* MEANJIN - 6 poems: LEMONRICKS. March.
* BEST OF QUADRANT POETRY 2001-2010 - 2 Poems: INZUPARRE IL BISCOTTO and GREEN-EYED BOY OF THE RAIN. March.
* JOURNEY - Poem: STEPDAUGHTER. March.
* NATIONAL MULTICULTURAL FESTIVAL- Headline performance at the Global Music Showcase, with Troy Cassar-Daley and Anthony Callea. Canberra, Feb.
* CHANNEL SEVEN MORNING SHOW - Live-to-air national telelvision interview and performance of Shaddap You Face, Sydney, Feb.
* DEAD CAT BOUNCE - New video clip. Feb.
- In the Op Shop With Percy Grainger. Quadrant. November.
- Who Is This White Fella Fella? Quadrant. October.
- Anti the Anti. Quadrant. June.
- Hey Mr Cowbell Man: Bob Dylan and Sir Christopher Ricks. Quadrant. March.
- Biblical Imagery in the Creative Infidels: Bob Dylan, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen and Paul Kelly.Quadrant. Jan-Feb.
* CARMENTA I- Two poems, CAEREMONIA and CARMENTALIA, in the first issue of the Carmenta broadsheet launched by the Istituto Italiano di Cultura Melbourne 2011.
* CORDITE 35: Oz-Ko - KOREAN TRYPTYCH published in the Australia-Korean issue of CORDITE 35: Oz-Ko | 호주 – 한 bringing together works by contemporary Australian and Korean poets in an unique, bi-lingual online platform. It is timed to coincide with the Australia-Korea Year of Friendship 2011, celebrating sixty years of diplomatic relations between Australia and the Republic of Korea.
* EYE TO THE TELESCOPE 2- International sci-fi poetry journal. Aliens published.
* 25th Tasmanian Poetry Festival 2010. With Emily Ballou, Mark Tredinnick, Deirdre Kessler, Jacqueline Turner, Peter Bakowski, Myron Lysenko, Ron Liversidge and Ben Walter. Winner of the 25th Launceston Poetry Cup.
*DIFFICULTWOMEN - Benefit for Tour Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Northcote Town Hall, VIC. June.
* Book Lover's Festival - Diamond Valley Library, VIC - reading excerpts from HATBOX, June.
* Poetry@Federation Square - reading excerpts from HATBOX, May.
* 3RRR Radio Melbourne - Aural Text, with Alicia Sometimes & Jeff Sparrow excerpts from HATBOX, May.
* SALT ON THE TONGUE POETRY FESTIVAL, Goolwa, South Australia. Opened by Stefano di Pieri. Poet Judith Beveridge introduces Joe Dolce to sing 'Return' (lyrics: CP Cavafy) and present the last recorded interview with Dorothy Porter, 'The Gods Forsake Antony,' produced by Joe Dolce and Costas Athanassiou. Hatbox official book launch. DIFFICULTWOMEN performance with writer/performer Lin van Hek. Apr.
* HATBOX, first poetry book published, Mar.
* ISLAND 119, Tasmanian poetry quarterly. 'Bogong Moth,' published in Dec-Jan 2010 issue.
* Koorie Heritage Trust, Concert for Youth, Annual Fundraising Gala, with Kevin Kropinyeri, TomLong, Little G, Jada Alberts, Constantina Bush and the Bushettes, Shiralee Hood, Rachael Maza Long, Kylie Farmer, Cath Jamison, Paul Norton, Wendy Stapleton and many others. Atheneaum Theatre. Nov.
* Toolangi CJ Dennis Bush Poetry Competition,'The Darking Bog,' Second Place Trophy. Oct.
* YUKOTOPIA DEADHEADSLAND NIGHTCLUB, with LIN VAN HEK & ALICIA BAY LAUREL, Tokyo, Japan. Oct.
* HAPPY FLOWER BEACH PARTY MUSIC FESTIVAL, with LIN VAN HEK & ALICIA BAY LAUREL,, Nago, Okinawa. Oct.
* YOUR MOTHER WOULD BE PROUD - anthology of true stories from Australian contributors including Jimmy Barnes, Tim Rogers, Andrew G, Kate Langbroek, KK Juggy, Steve Kilby, Kate Miller-Heidke, Andrew Bolt, Suffa, Austen Tayshus, Mark Wilson, Sarah Wilson, Julia Zemiro and many others, with all royalties from sales to go to the Mirabel Foundation. June.
* Aquila Earthquake Benefit with La Voce Della Luna, Kavisha Mazzella, Ernie Gruner and Phil Carroll, Gianni Marinucci, The Signoras, The Connies, Laura Lattuada and Coro Casa D'Abruzzo with Roberto De Sanctis. Coburg Town Hall, VIC. May.
* International Women's Week Concert & Bushfire Appeal with JUDY SMALL, LIN VAN HEK & DIFFICULTWOMEN and KAVISHA MAZZELLA. Montsalvat, Eltham, VIC. Mar.
* Human . . . . Right? International Pen Writer's Benefit & Bush Fire Appeal, with Slava Grigoryan, Richard Piper, Simon Palomares, Arnold Zable, Majid Shokor, Ernie Gruner & Anthea Sidiropoulos. St Kilda Town Hall. Feb.
* Lamb's Springfed Songwriting Retreat, Harbour Springs MI, USA, with Annie Gallup, Jon Vezner, Jim Photoglo, Chuck Brodsky, Wil Maring, Dalis Allen and John D. Lamb, Nov.
* KPFA Radio,'live-to-air' recording and performance, with Alicia Bay Laurel, Berkley, CA, USA. Nov.
* Studio E Concert, with Alicia Bay Laurel, Sebastopol, CA, USA. Nov.
* San Francisco Community Center Concert, with Alicia Bay Laurel, San Francisco, CA, USA. Nov.
* Hellrigel's Inn, 'Halloween Show', Painesville, OH, USA. Oct.
* The Jonathan Coleman Experience, National Radio Interview, Australia. Sept.
* Finalist, 2008 Rebel Yelp Songwriters Award, 'Did You Get Stupid for Being Ugly (Or Ugly from being Stupid?)
* Save La Mama Big Benefit Bash with Judith Lucy, Rod Quantock, Michael Kieran Harvey, Lin Van Hek, Gerry Connolly, Jane Clifton, Rachel Berger, Simon Palomares & George Kapiniaris and many others. Final 11th hour rally enabling La Mama to reach their target and purchase the iconic Carlton theatre. Sold out performance at The Athanaeum Theatre, Melbourne, Sept.
* JONATHAN EDWARDS, US singer-songwriter, best known for his 70s hit song, 'Sunshine,' records two Dolce songs, including the title track, and 'Athens County', on his new album, 'Rollin' Along: Live in Holland.' He also releases a DVD, 'Live in the Netherlands,' which contains another, 'Hall of Fame.'
* 'Marching with Martin Luther King Jr,' selected to be part of the 'Dream On . . .' project in the US. July.
* 'The Singing Bee,' Special guest appearance on Channel Nine musical game show and performance of finale song with ten piece band live. July.
* Wintermoon Festival, MacKay, Queensland. May.
* Nannup Music Festival, Nannup, Western Australia, Mar
* Brave New Works 15 Festival, Artist-in-Residence, and Artistic Director, DIFFICULTWOMEN BIG SHOW, Denmark, Western Australia, Mar.
* Denmark Civic Centre, DIFFICULTWOMEN, Denmark, Western Australia, Mar.
* Harvey Harvest Festival, Harvey, Western Australia, Mar.
* Illawarra Folk Festival, Bulli, NSW. Jan.
* Daylesford Singers Festival, DIFFICULTWOMEN. Jan.
* THE PALAIS, Hepburn Springs, VIC, with DIFFICULTWOMEN.
* SWISS-ITALIAN FESTA, Lucini's, Hepburn Springs. (winner of the Great Pasta
Sauce Competition: Non-Professional Category, Kangaroo Braciole and Fennel
* CASTLEMAINE STATE FESTIVAL, Castlemaine, VIC, with DIFFICULTWOMEN. Sold out.
* 'THE WIND CRIES MARY,' new studio album released.
* KNOX COMMUNITY CENTRE, DIFFICULTWOMEN.
* BRUNSWICK MUSIC FESTIVAL, DIFFICULTWOMEN, with Special Guest JO
* COLAC ARTS CENTRE, DIFFICULTWOMEN.
* CYGNET FOLK FESTIVAL, with DIFFICULTWOMEN, solo concerts, workshops
and The Inspired Shaddap You Face Contest, TASMANIA.
* ADVENTURE BAY HALL, with DIFFICULTWOMEN, Bruny Island, TASMANIA.
* YUNGABURRA FOLK FESTIVAL, NORTH QUEENSLAND.
* The Countdown Spectacular Australian National Tour, hosted by Molly Meldrum,
produced by Michael Gudinski and Frontier Touring, with Sherbet, John Paul
Young, Hush, Leo Sayer, Alex Smith, James Reyne, Mondo Rock, Jon English, the
Chantoozies, Cheetah, Choirboys, Jo Jo Zep, John Swan, Renee Geyer, Paul Norton,
and Wendy Stapleton.
* 'Marching With Martin Luther King, Jr,' featured on Australia Contemporary Blues
CD, Hardrush Music.
* Sonicbids Featured Artist - Featured September artist of the week on US
music site, SONICBIDS.
* 'Stop The Tox!' Concert - No Toxic Waste In The Mallee, with SPECTRUM,
* Neighbours, Composed harp and mandolin blues music for the iconic Australian
* Unity for Peace Benefit, Concert, and Dinner with US Peace Activist, CINDY
SHEEHAN, and other speakers, featuring JUDY SMALL, DAVID BRIDIE, LIN
VAN HEK, GREG FLEET, MARTIN PEARSON, and many others.
* Harmony Row Vineyard, DIFFICULTWOMEN, Pipers Creek, VIC.
* Arcilesbica, Italian Women's Group, together with Italian & Gay, Italian National Day
Dance, Performing Sappho & CP Cavafy poems, Shaddap You Face. Richmond
Town Hall, VIC.
* National Folk Festival, Solo concerts and DIFFICULTWOMEN, Canberra ACT,
'Special Event Concert' 'The 25th Anniversary Inspired Shaddap You Face Contest.'
* Mount Beauty Music Muster, Mount Beauty, VIC.
* The Micallef P(r)ogram(me) DVD, Featured interview and performance: 'The
Politically-Correct Version of Shaddap You Face'
* The Golden Guy Fawkes Award, Special Mention (2nd place tie), The Old
Melbourne Gaol, Melbourne, VIC
* Where Are They Now? Channel 7 Television Special, with Bob Hawke, Alan Bond,
and John Bertrand. Sydney, NSW
* North American Folk Music Alliance, with Judy Collins, Marshall Crenshaw,
Jonathan Edwards, The Limeliters, Danny O'Keefe, Jane Siberry, Rosalie Sorrels,
The Audreys, Women in Docs and others, Austin, Texas USA
* 21st Illawarra Folk Festival, solo shows and DIFFICULTWOMEN, BULLI, NSW.
* Woodford Folk Festival, with DIFFICULTWOMEN, Queensland.
11th Annual Troubadour Weekend, Burke and Wills Winery, Mia Mia, VIC.
* Queenscliff Music Festival, Queenscliff, VIC.
* The Ultimate Chart Show, RLT Televison, New Year's Eve show, with Manfred Mann, Bananarama, Irene Cara, Jimmy Sommerville and many others, Cologne, Germany.
* MALDON FOLK FESTIVAL, Solo concert, and with DIFFICULTWOMEN.
* Finalist: RODDY READ SONGWRITING AWARD., for 'Smokin,' MALDON, VICTORIA
* Finalist: Australian Gospel Music Songwriting Awards, 'Lower Jesus.'
* The Boomer Music Festival w/ Johnny Young, Normie Rowe, Ronnie Burns, Denise Drysdale, and Little Patti. Gold Coast, QUEENSLAND.
* 'Did You Get Stupid from Being Ugly (Or Ugly from Being Stupid?)' song contest winner on Protest Songs for a Better World CD, CANADA, 2005
* HENRY LAWSON FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS, Grenfell, NSW.
* LIFESTYLE CAFE, The Lifestyle Channel, television interview and 'live' cooking demonstration.
* YAG'UBI FESTIVAL, Solo Concerts, DIFFICULTWOMEN concerts, and Workshops, Hervey Bay, Queensland.
* fortyfivedownstairs, with DIFFICULTWOMEN, Melbourne, Vic.
* R.W. Stone Pavilion and Reserve, with DIFFICULTWOMEN, SOMERS, Vic.
* 'GIFT - from one Iraqi child' anti-Iraq war song contest winner, included on Peace Songs for a Better World CD, Album of the Week in Italy, and Ireland.
* Frankston Guitar and Music Festival, with Jennifer Batten, Slava Grigoryan, Richie Havens, John McCutcheon, Spectrum, The Fauves, Jimi Hocking Frankston Arts Centre, Frankston, VIC
* The Brunswick Music Festival with DIFFICULTWOMEN and JUDY SMALL, Brunswick Town Hall, Brunswick, VIC
* The First Annual Burke & Wills Festival with James Keelaghan, Kavisha Mazzella, Rory Ellis, Wise Family Band, Pete Morton, Alastair Huett, and Martin Pearson, Mia Mia, VIC.
* La Joe Dolce Vita - A 25th year Anniversary of Shaddap You Face, with Steve Bastoni, Maria Venuti, Gabriel Rossi, John Barressi, Grant Galea, Sam Cosentino, Tanya Losanno and Arisa Yura, Cracker Comedy Festival, The Enmore Theatre, Sydney, NSW.
* Norton St Festa, Sydney, NSW
* Brunswick Music Festival Launch, with Melbourne Ukulele Kollective.
* The Australian Blues Music Festival with Ash Grunwald, Backsliders, Dutch Tilders, Fiona Boyes, Jeannie Lewis, Margret RoadKnight , Phil Emmanuel, Ross Wilson & the Urban Legends. Goulburn, NSW. Nomination: Australian Blues Harp Hall of Fame.
* Carnevale on Lygon, Tsunami Aid Red Cross Appeal with La Voce Della Luna, Kavisha Mazzella, John Barresi, More Than Opera, David Rogers-Smith, and Toccanoi
* Tsunami Relief Twilight Concert, Templestowe Baptist Church.
* 15th Boite Singers' Festival, Daylesford, VIC. workshops.
* Best Folk Gospel Song: Hill of Death, Australian Gospel Songwriting Awards from a poem, from the 1900s, by Henry Lawson's mother, LOUISA LAWSON. Released on two Australian Gospel Music CD compilations.
* Darebin Homemade Wine Festival, Honorary Judge.
* Young Artists Development Mentoring Project, Arts Victoria Grant, with DAVID BRIDIE, MONICA WEIGHTMAN, KUTCHA EDWARDS, and KAVISHA MAZZELLA. DAREBIN ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE.
* 20th Illawarra Folk Festival, concerts, plus special 'Joe's Newsletter' show! Jamberoo, NSW,
* Albert Park Yacht Club, DIFFICULTWOMEN and THE JOE DOLCE MUSIC THEATRE.
* Yag'ubi Multicultural Festival, performances and choral workshop, Queensland.
* National Folk Festival, "Dissent, Victoria, and the High Country," Canberra.
* Rhythms In The Outback Festival, with KAVISHA MAZZELLA, Kalgoorlie, Western Australia.Performances, songwriting and blues harp workshops.
* Global Day of Action March and Rally, END THE OCCUPATION FROM IRAQ TO PALESTINE, VICTORIAN PEACE NETWORK, Treasury Gardens, Melbourne.
* 'FREELOVEDAYS,' Solo CD, Four Star Review, Melbourne Sunday Herald!
* Australian Citizenship, after 24 years of residency, at a special Australia Day ceremony at the Melbourne Zoo, covered by the National Press. Invited to sing 'Shaddap You Face,' (leading a sing-a-long, in the aboriginal Indijubundji dialectal translation!) and closing the ceremony with Advance Australia Fair, (played as a blues, on steel guitar.)
* Turramurra Music Camp, Geelong Folk Music Club. Tutoring songwriting, mandolin, flatpicking, fingerpicking guitar, and blues harp workshops.
* Montsalvat Poetry and Song Festival, performance of the complete C.P. CAVAFY song-cycle, ' When The Lips and The Skin Remember,' in Greek and English translation, Eltham, Victoria.
* 'What Chance Peace?' with KAVISHA MAZZELLA, at the Melbourne Town Hall, sponsored by THE AGE, The Electoral Commission and VAAST(Victorian Association Of Social Studies Teachers.)
* 'Love Is In The Air', Featured in Episode 3, of Channel 2's five-part historical music documentary series on the origins of modern pop music.
* 'It's a Long Way to the Top,' Featured in ABC televison's the history of Australian music.
* 'Pizza Pizza' chosen as the theme song for the US Pizza Team. Featured five times on US television ESPN2's new morning primetime show, Cold Pizza.
* NU COUNTRY TV Hosted by PETER HOSKING, featuring 'Crop Circles in My Marijuana'. Channel 31.
* Darebin Writers Festival, 'Spoken Word and Music' program: excerpts from the C.P. CAVAFY song-cycle, ' When The Lips and The Skin Remember,' in Greek and English translation, Northcote Town Hall.
* The Troubadour's 25th Birthday Concert Weekend, Campaspe Downs Country Resort, Trentham Road, Kyneton, VIC. (Australia) With Kristina Olsen, Judy Small, Doug Ashdown and many others. (Solo concert as well as backing JUDY SMALL on blues harp and mandolin.)
* Chartbusting '80s Interview and live in-studio performance of 'Familiar Ring' with Josie Parrelli, Channel 31 television.
* TRAD & NOW, traditional and contemporary folk magazine, current Issue No. 4, Winter 2003. Featured in an article called 'The Recorded Songwriter', by Sue Barrett, focusing on 'My Home Ain't In The Hall of Fame', written in the early '70s, and some of many US artists who have recorded it.
* Shaddap & Write Award, Presents the first annual award for Magesongs Publishing's songwriting school graduates.
* 'New Dimensions' Featured segment for ABC televison GEORGE NEGUS show, with David Adams.
* ' Shaddap You Face' and 'Pizza Pizza.' The World's Greatest Pizza Thrower, Tony Gemignani, uses two Joe Dolce songs to prepare and qualify for the World Pizza Championships, in Salsomaggiore, Italy. The US Pizza Team stuns the Italians with 2nd, 3rd and 5th place wins.
* ''Knockin' the Roof Off', ‘live' Melbourne spectacular, at THE COMEDY CLUB, with band, JOE DOLCE and THE PEACE CREEPZ, and special guests, KAVISHA MAZZELLA, LA VOCE DELLA LUNA ITALIAN WOMEN'S CHOIR, LIN VAN HEK and COSTAS ATHANASSIOU.
* Composed 'SCHWEITZER AT LAMBARENE' - in two movements for symphony orchestra.
* KRS-ONE, Legendary U.S. hiphop artist releases a rap cover version of Shaddap You Face, retitled 'Shutupayouface', on new album, 'Sneak Attack
* ROBERT EARL KEEN JR, Texan country music superstar, records a 30 year old, JOE DOLCE song, 'My Home Ain't in the Hall of Fame,' for his new CD, GRAVITATIONAL FORCES. First single release from the album.
* Tour of ESTONIA (with DIFFICULTWOMEN and solos shows.)
* Aldeburgh Festival, (with DIFFICULTWOMEN) Suffolk, ENGLAND.
* 19 track CD, 'FLOWER,' with LIN VAN HEK. Picked as Top Ten release of the year by Rhythms Magazine.
* 'Thriller' - Acclaimed and slightly bent 'cover version' of Michael Jackson song included on Andrew Denton's 2MMM MUSICAL CHALLENGE CD (along with artists including NEIL FINN, JIMMY BARNES, TINA ARENA, ARCHIE ROACH, JAMES BLUNDELL, all proceeds directed to Mission Australia's youth program.)
1997 - 2000
• Completed recording new solo master, 'FREE LOVE DAYS'. Picked as Top Ten recording of the year by Rhythms Magazine.
• Composed 'Perfume Flower,' choral work from the poem 'Untitled' by 19th Century Chinese woman revolutionary, Qiu Jin, incorporating English and Chinese language libretto and original musical composition for SATB choir, mixed percussion, piano, vibraphone, erhu, zheng and string orchestra.) Shortlisted for an Arts Victoria Grant.
• Performed original composition, 'MARCHIN' WITH MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.', with six-voice gospel group, ADORATION, at Homebush Superdome, Sydney, before 10,000 people.
• GREEKFEST - Performed 15 part C.P. Cavafy songwork, 'When the Lips and the Skin Remember,' Melbourne, with guitar, violin and oud.
• Castlemaine State Festival - Composed and performed 'DOLCE CHAMBER BLUES' a forty-five minute work for blues harmonica and string quartet, with The Fugato String Quartet, commissioned by festival director, Brett Kelly..
• Arranged for guitar and women's choir, 'THE WANDERING DAUGHTER', an adaption of Franz Schubert's 'Das Wandern' (from Die Schone Mullerin, Op.25), with new original lyrics.
• WOODFORD FOLK FESTIVAL DIFFICULTWOMEN
• TOURS OF QUEENSLAND AND NORTHERN NEW SOUTH WALES DIFFICULTWOMEN
• COBARGO FOLK FESTIVAL, NSW DIFFICULTWOMEN
• TOUR OF TASMANIA DIFFICULTWOMEN
• CASTLEMAINE STATE FESTIVAL DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Composed 'EVOCATION OF SAPPHO', four fragments of the poetry of SAPPHO, for two sopranos, flute and piano.
• Composed 'A GIRL IS BORN IN BETHLEHEM', an a cappella choral work performed by the MELBOURNE CHAMBER SINGERS.
• Composed soundtrack for Ray Mooney play, 'A DROVER'S BOY', performed at the Athenaeum Theatre, Melbourne.
• Released 'SHADDAP YOU FACE - NO ROOM FOR RACISM ' (new lyrics), with Vietnamese comic Hung Le, as a protest against One Nation.
• Recording of solo show, 'SONGS & BLUES' for MUSIC DELI on RADIO NATIONAL and for CHRYSALIS TELEVISION, CHANNEL FOUR, U.K.
• TOUR OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA DIFFICULTWOMEN
• TOUR OF NEW ZEALAND DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Released solo CD, 'MEMOIRS OF A MOUTH ORGAN'.
• Composed music score for the play, 'A STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION', written by Jack Hibbard.
• Composed 'ECSTASY OF NARCISSUS', an choral work for choir and chamber orchestra.
• Composed 'ANNA'S BOX', a three act opera-drama for chamber orchestra, string quartet, klezmer band, and ten SATB soloists, based on a story by LIN VAN HEK.
• NEW SOUTH WALES TOUR, International Womens Day DIFFICULTWOMEN
1990 - 1996
• AUCKLAND FOLK FESTIVAL - DIFFICULTWOMEN New Zealand National Tour
• Composed 'JOAN ON FIRE', an oratorio for string orchestra, choir, soloists and brass trio. Premiered by the Melbourne Chamber Orchestra, and Chorelation Choir, at the Melbourne Baptist Church, with assistance of an Arts Victoria grant.
• MALENY FOLK FESTIVAL - Queensland DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Budinski's Theatre of Exile -Melbourne DIFFICULTWOMEN
• PORT FAIRY FOLK FESTIVAL DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Bendigo Art Gallery - INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Latrobe University - Int. Women's Day DIFFICULTWOMEN
• NATIONAL FOLK FESTIVAL- Canberra DIFFICULTWOMEN
• EDINBURGH ARTS FESTIVAL, 3 week season- Aug. MONOLOGUE OF A MADWOMAN: 'Yellow Wallpaper' premier, DIFFICULTWOMEN.
• EDINBURGH BOOK FESTIVAL, DIFFICULTWOMEN.
• BBC SCOTLAND RADIO PERFORMANCES DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Warnambool Women's Festival DIFFICULTWOMEN
• MALDON FOLK FESTIVAL DIFFICULTWOMEN
• CASTLEMAINE STATE FESTIVAL. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Murra Hall. N.S.W. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• SOUTH AUSTRALIAN FEDERATION FOLK FESTIVAL. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Arts Post - Ballarat. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• 3RD WOMEN'S PLAYWRIGHT CONFERENCE, DIFFICULTWOMEN, Odeon Theatre- Adelaide
• Carclew Youth Arts Centre- Adelaide- Workshops & Performances. Adelaide
• 'WOMEN OF THE CHAIN' Performance, DIFFICULTWOMEN, w/ Keri Hulme, Dale Spender & Luisah Teisch, for the 6TH INTERNATIONAL FEMINIST BOOK FAIR . Mietta's Melbourne DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Tilley's Cafe bar, Canberra. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Victorian Arts Centre. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Villa Parma, Hepburn Springs. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Feature and lead article published, 'The Warrior, the Wound and Woman-hate: The Politics of Softfear', in US magazine, CHANGING MEN.
• Essay published, 'Iron Hans(el)', in Australian magazine, XY: Men, Sex and Politics .
• Composed and performed , a 15 part songwork, for guitar and voice from the poems of'WHEN THE LIPS AND THE SKIN REMEMBER' C.P. Cavafy, sung in English translation, and read in Greek. Premiered at the Greek Antipodes Festival, Melbourne.
• VANCOUVER FOLK MUSIC FESTIVAL, Canada DIFFICULTWOMEN
• NEW ZEALAND NATIONAL TOUR. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Mietta's Melbourne- 'Frida Kahlo' premier. DIFFICULTWOMEN.
• Adelaide season - 2 weeks DIFFICULTWOMEN
• 'WRITER'S IN THE PARK', Sydney, N.S.W. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• La Mama Theatre 'WOMEN WRITERS' Season. DIFFICULTWOMEN
• Release of DIFFICULTWOMEN cassette, featuring selections from live show.
• Original DIFFICULTWOMEN premier at Budinski Theatre, Melbourne.
• Writer, composer and performer, of the play 'PUNDULUMURA - (TWO TREES TOGETHER)', directed by Ray Mooney. Co-written and performed with aboriginal initiated man and elder, Gnarayarrahe Inmurry Waitairie. Premiered at La Mama, Melbourne and invited to the Sydney Festival.
• Two Time Finalist for the Port Fairy Folk Festival Lawson-Patterson Songwriting Award.
• Co-organiser and compere of the Third Australian Secret Policewoman's Ball, for Amnesty International, with Hale and Pace, Paul Kelly, Joe Camilleri, Jane Turner, Magda Szubanski, Chris Wilson, Vika & Linda Bull, Richard Stubbs, the entire cast of HAIR, Gerry Connolly, Neil & Tim Finn, Paul Kelly, Glenn Robbins, The Doug Anthony Allstars, and many others.
• Featured Lead in 'THE BLUE FRECKLE,' play written and directed by Ray Mooney.
• Composed play score for 'OCCUPATION COMEDIAN: COPPIN', by Garry Hutchinson.
Key Events pre- 1990
1989 Organiser and compere of the First Australian Secret Policeman's Ball, 'Ha Ha Help,' for Amnesty International, with Austen Tayshus, Jean Kittson, Peter Rowsthorn, Simon Palomares, George Kapiniaris and many others. Wrote and produced the theme song, for 'The Year of the Child,' Angel Dove, recorded by Joe Camilleri, cover artwork by Michael Leunig.
Appeared as actor in many TV mini-series and shows including 'ALL THE WAY', 'THE GREAT AIR RACE', and 'THE FOUR MINUTE MILE'.
Composed music score for 'GRASS,' produced by THEATREWORKS.
Composed music score for 'PERFECTING MY NATURE STRIP', written by BILL GARNER, and produced by THEATREWORKS for The Universal Theatre and ABC radio.
Composed score for LIN VAN HEK play, 'THE HANGING'.
Released single, 'VAFANCULO POLKA', on Musicland Records.
1988 Featured Lead Actor in Rosa Colosimo's 35mm feature film, 'BLOWING HOT AND COLD', co-starring Peter Adams and Ellspeth Ballantine. Also composed the score and film soundtrack. Composed film score for Rosa Colosimo feature film, 'CLOSER AND CLOSER APART'. Featured Lead Actor in Phil Motherwell play, 'STEAL AWAY HOME', produced by PLAYBOX THEATRE at the Victorian Arts Centre. Also composed play score and performed it 'live'. Composed play score for JEAN KITTSON one-woman show, 'ANGELA'.
1987 Co-writer and featured lead actor in theatrical production, 'UNA RAZZA, UNA FACCIA', co-written with GEORGE KAPINARIS, and staged at the Universal Theatre, directed by SIMON PALOMARES, creator of WOGS OUT OF WORK. Composed and performed the 'live' play score for Phil Motherwell's play, 'FITZROY CROSSING', starring GINA RILEY, with supporting role as 'Eddie the Head,' produced at LA MAMA THEATRE.
1986 Executive Producer and co-writer, with LIN VAN HEK, of the song, 'INTIMACY', sung by LIN VAN HEK and included in the original US film score, THE TERMINATOR. Composed play score and songs for Daniel Keene play, 'THE HOUR BEFORE MY BROTHER DIES', produced at LA MAMA THEATRE. Composed and performed the 'live' play score for Phil Motherwell's play, 'HELD IN CAMERA', starring GREG CARROLL, LIN VAN HEK. BILL TISDALE, and PHIL MOTHERWELL, produced at LA MAMA THEATRE.
1985 Released single, 'COCAINE LIL' on Troubadour Records.
1984 Released single, 'Pizza Pizza,' on Fable Records.
1983 Released single, 'YOU TOUCHA MY CAR, I BREAKA YOU FACE', on Full Moon Records.
1982 Released international album, 'CHRISTMAS IN AUSTALIA.'
1981 Released single, 'IF YOU WANT TO BE HAPPY', on Full Moon Records. Extensive touring and promtional trips to Europe and the USA. Recipient of the ADVANCE AUSTRALIA AWARD.
1980 Created, produced and performed, 'SHADDAP YOU FACE'. First released in Australia on ASTOR RECORDS. Australia's first locally produced Nine Times Platinum single recording (by the old count of 50,000 units). It also currently holds two titles: the most successful song in Australian music history, and the most successful song in Australian music history for the longest time: 33 years. Creator and performer of the solo show, THE JOE DOLCE MUSIC THEATRE, performing at the TROUBADOUR, THE FLYING TRAPEZE. THE LAST LAUGH, CATCH A RISING STAR and the ADELAIDE FESTIVAL.
1979 Wrote and recorded 'BOAT PEOPLE', translated into Vietnamese and performed before diplomats of the Vietnamese National Convention, in Melbourne.
Moved to Melbourne, Australia, from the USA
1977 Co-founder of RIPE FRUIT MUSIC AND DANCE THEATRE, Berkeley, California, experimental dance and improvisational music. Worked as home renovator specializing in stained glass work, tile-setting and cabinet-making.
1974-76 Lived on communes in Northern California, and the Big Island. Won First Prize in Hawaiian Music Contest in Hana, Maui, for the song 'O Papaya Tree'; studied music informally with Dr. Lou Gottleib, PhD. Music (original founding member of the legendary US '60s folk group, THE LIMELITERS.) Worked driving health food truck.
1973 Wrote 'MY HOME AIN'T IN THE HALL OF FAME' (a.k.a. 'HALL OF FAME'). Solo Country & Western music performances throughout Northern California, and shows with Russian River band, FRONTIER. Worked in Berkeley, Ca, as full-time live-in nurse for quadraplegic patient.
1971 Worked part-time on Wall Street, for Auchincloss, Parker and Redpath Brokerage, in New York City, in foreign securities.
1969 Wrote first major song, the ballad, RETURN, from a poem by Greek poet, C.P. CAVAFY, in English translation, by RAE DALVEN, and still performed in current repertoire.Lived in Boston and Cambridge, Mass. Worked full-time at local Mental Hospital as an attendant, and later as a shipping and receiving clerk for trucking company.
1968 Co-founder, (with US singsinger-songwriter, JONATHAN EDWARDS,) of the HEADSTONE CIRCUS band (aka SUGARCREEK), Athens, Ohio and Boston, Mass. Recorded and released LP in New York, 'PLEASE TELL A FRIEND', on Metromedia Records. Resisted Vietnam War. Voluntary patient in the Athens Lunatic Asylum for 30 days observation. Upon released, worked part-time at Wendy's Hamburgers. Dropped out of OHIO UNIVERSITY after two years to play music full time.Constructed an original nine-string electric guitar (on a visit home from college, his father broke it in half because the noise (unamplified) woke him up from a nap.)
1966 Attended OHIO UNIVERSITY, in Athens, Ohio, (historically ranked as the 13th most haunted town in the world!) living away from home, and majoring in Architecture. Makes acquaintance of Italian language scholar who encourages pronounciation of his surname, from doltz, to the orginal Italian pronounciation: dol-chay, meaning sweet; also explaining that, as the originl meaning of his first name, Joseph, was 'he who adds,' he would therefore be: He Who Adds Sweetness.
1965 In Senior year, at Harvey High School, Painesville, Ohio, USA, eighteen years of age, and a French honours student, chosen as the sole male lead to play the comic (and singing) role of MASCARILLE, in the LAKE ERIE GIRLS COLLEGE production of LES PRECIEUSES RIDICULES, by French playwright, MOLIERE. The female lead is CAROL DUNLOP, a creative writing scholar, at LAKE ERIE COLLEGE, who later became his High School Prom date! (DUNLOP goes on to becomes a reknown Canadian translator of French authors and marries legendary Argentinian surrealist writer, JULIO CORTAZAR, writer of BLOW UP, both now passed away and buried together in Montparnasse, France.)
1957 Makes the seminal decision to abandon accordion lessons, due to a time conflict with his favourite television show, ZORRO.
1956 Father paid for accordion lessons and hire, from a door-to-door traveling accordion salesman.
1952 Father gave him his first instrument, a Field Drum, for Christmas. (Kicked a hole in it later because the noise kept him from sleeping.)
1947 Born JOE DOLCE (pronounced DOLTZ) in Painesville, Ohio.