This site is best viewed in Internet Explorer, or in Firefox first select the I/E add on under tools
The Watching Lake
By Elaine Forrestal
Before reading the book
1. Predict what the story might be about by looking at the front cover only.
Now look at the back cover. Does this confirm any of your suggestions? Which ones?
2. Read the blurb about the author in the back of the book.
3. Find the quote from 'The Min Min Light'
by Joy McKean and
Slim Dusty in the front of the book.
Have you ever
heard the story of the Queensland Min Min Light,
There's a couple
living westward on a lonely station camp,
Years ago they had a
youngster, the laughter of their life,
It seemed that he
could touch it and it moved off far ahead,
His resting place is
hidden, his parents hope and pray
Now I've told to you
the story of the Queensland Min Min Light,
4. The Slim Dusty/Joy McKean ballad tells a different story from the one Elaine Forrestal has written.
Write a story, or poem, of your own based on a ghostly
5. Write a description of: Welsh Morgan's house
6. Draw an aerial map of The Lake showing all the houses, the stables, the horse yards and Welsh Morgan's vegetable garden and chook pen.
7. Why did the Min Min come out of the lake after staying hidden for so many years?
Discuss the positive and negative effects of the spread of our modern cities on:
8. If you could trade places with any one of the
characters from The Watching Lake,
which one would it be? Why?
Visit the Herdsman Lake Wildlife Centre or the last remaining market garden on Pearson Street, Woodlands, or the Equestrian Centre on Jon Sanders Drive, Osborne Park. (These are all situated around Herdsman Lake on which the novel is set.)
Read The Min Min by Mavis Thorpe Clarke.
For problems or questions regarding this Web site contact [Administrator].
Copyright © 2006 - Elaine Forrestal. All Rights Reserved. Developed by David Ammon