International Bipolar Resources
This page is dedicated to all the people across the globe who have been touched by fire, flown on wings of madness, or been stung by the touch of fyreniyce.
From Europe & other Places:
- La Maladie Maniaco-Depressive Chez Les Adolescents
- Les Ressources de la Depression - Cette page explique les effets de la depression, l'importance d'obtenir de l'aide, les symptomes, les causes, et les traitements de cette maladie.
- ATMHN Information for Services -- Australian Transcultural Mental Health Network -- Though an Australian site, this is an excellent source for information on a number of mental illnesses, each translated into a multitude of different languages.
- HCN-International Health Indexes -- Need information from international databases? This is a good place to start then.
- Sympatico: HealthyWay-Health Links -- Canadian site with information on a wide variety of disorders including bipolar. Not exclusively a mental health site
- Society For Depression and Manic Depression of Manitoba -- Very nice site for all you Canadian sorts.
- Lunatic's Liberation Front-British Columbia, Canada -- You have to smile at this group if for no other reason than smiles make you feel better. The site is dedicated to basic human rights and alternatives to harsh methods of treatment of the mentally ill (or nearly so). WARNING: I DO NOT RECOMMEND GIVING UP YOUR MEDICATIONS AS IS ADVOCATED ON THIS SITE.- Think critically (do my course on site here!) and consult your doctor before doing anything rash.
- World Health Organization WWW Home Page -- *THE* place to find information on literally every every aspect of international health concerns.
- European Diagnostic Critera: From the ICD-10 developed by the World Health Organisation. Excellent and concise breakdown.
- Disorders-ICD Classes-Internet Mental Health site- By Dr. Richard Long. This site is always a great resource.
- Institute of Psychiatry - United Kingdom -- This is an incredible site and definitely worth the time.
The Samaritans: A UK Suicide Helpline on the Internet (or see the
U.S. mirror site
at Mental Health Net)
- Groningen Department of Social Psychiatry - Netherlands -- "The department is one of the Research Centers of the Groningen Faculty of Medicine. Furthermore it is part of the Groningen Institute for Behavioral, Cognitive and Neurosciences (BCN) and one of the Collaborating Research Centers of the World Health Organization (WHO)" (quoted from their site) You can review current research here and even interact with the researchers themselves.
- Manisch Depressief -- A Netherlands site on Bipolar Disorder; appears to be quite thorough from what little I can tell. I think it's written in Dutch, but I'm not sure (*blush*)--someone let me know if they speak the language.
- UBC Psychiatry - Canada -- A research/teaching facility with a nice online "reading room".
- Depressive and Manic Depressive Association of Ontario -- A scanty site, but it does contain some contact numbers for you who live in that province.
- Disabled Peoples' International -- Located geographically in Canada, this organisation seeks to unite disabled persons in an international coalition aimed at furthering care and respect for the dignity and human rights of all persons with some form of disability. Excellent site!
- Disabled Persons Assemble (New Zealand), Inc. -- DPA is the national umbrella for the full range of people with disabilities in New Zealand. DPA encourages people with disabilities to speak and to help themselves.
- New Zealand Manic Depressive Support National Network -- A fledgling support group and network that is sorely needed in these parts. I wish it my best and hope all will offer encouragement and support to them.