Here, in this place--in your place--to be a "follower" is a sign of strength. Follow then, and learn, for you've nothing to lose except confusion.
- Alcoholism: -- Internet Mental Health's site again. Excellent link listing the official DSM IV criteria for alcohol abuse and much in the way of research articles.
- Cor Ad Cor Loquitur (heart to heart) -- A site dedicated to those who are dually diagnosed as both bipolar and alcoholic. This is a wonderful, warm site with lots of helping hands and conversation to get you through those long dark nights.Highly recommended!
- Collected Writings of Dr. Ivan K. Goldberg -- "WARNING: This is super controversial - For information, not action." This and the warning that follows are direct quotes taken from Dr. Ivan's short article. It is no wonder he is hesitant to even speak of this information. Still, I think it important that it be known and so I include it. "I have seen over a dozen alcoholics who became alcoholics as a form of of medication for their depression or bipolar disorder. After they have had their mood disorder completely controlled. And after they had abstained from alcohol for at least one year. They were able to resume "normal" drinking."
- Detection/Treatment of Mood Symptoms in Management of Violence -- You will also find this article listed under the bipolar youth section since youth and those who self-medicate are frequently prone to violence. You must first register with Medscape before you can access the database. Register here Registration is free.
- Substance Abuse and Bipolar Disorder: From a paper and talk given by Dr. Kathleen Brady, M.D., Ph.D. So ya drink and do a bit too much blow eh? Well, well..welcome to the street pharmacy where self-medication is the name of a dangerous game. If you fit this profile, run, don't walk, to a clinic and ask for clinical evaluation for manic-depression. Your life depends on it. You must first register with Medscape before you can access this article. Register here. (Registration is free and one time only).
- Bipolar Disorder and Marijuana: From Mental Health Infosource's Ask the Expert series by Dr. Ron Pies. (I don't necessarily agree with Dr. Pies' distinction between the word 'medication' and the word 'drug.' Seems pretty much a distinction without a difference to me, but it's worth a look irrespective of my quibbling.)
- Marijuana And Antidepressants Can Cause Adverse Effects -- By Damaris Christensen - A good article on teenage use of marijuana and mixing them with antidepressants.
- DUAL DIAGNOSIS WEBSITE -- Kathleen Sciacca has put together a superb site on the topic of dual diagnosis. The site is extensive, somewhat technical here and there, but contains many articles, current research, and even a 24 hour chat room.Highly Recommended!
- Dual Diagnosis and Marijuana -- More information from the same site as above--nice informative piece.
- Mixing Psychotropics & Street Drugs: Dr. Pies responds to a peer's question regarding appropriate drugs for those using other drugs recreationally.
- Dual Diagnosis: Substance Abuse And Mental Illness - By Agnes B. Hatfield, Ph.D. An excellent article on the thorny problems surrounding treatment of the chemically-dependent mentally ill person.
- Public and Research Views of Dual-Diagnosis Explored -- By Leslie Knowlton. Many bipolars are dually-diagnosed as both bipolar and a substance abuser of some sort. This is an informative exploration of this difficult topic.