This photo is of Deasland Farm at Rock, Worcestershire. This was the home of Henry and Elizabeth Mills nee Mann. Their daughter married William Harcourt there in 1819.
The photo was taken in 1845 and on the back of the photo it says:
The third “Deasland” was built by Gordon and Pat Harcourt in the mid 1970’s 20 km outside of Dubbo, NSW on the Dunedoo Rd. Gordon Harcourt was the grandson of George Harcourt. “Deasland”, Dubbo was sold in April 1999. Unfortunately Rebecca does not have a photo of the house at the moment but she has one of the mailbox!!
George Harcourt, who was born in Warwickshire, England came to Ginninderra as a young man in the late 1850's. He was employed at first by William Davis, Squire of Ginninderra as book-keeper and later took over Ginninderra Store. He became Postmaster of Ginninderra in 1862 and continued to operate the Post Office in conjunction with his store until 1882 when he resigned. Following the introduction of Robertson's Land Act in 1861, George Harcourt took up land in the Ginninderra area and in 1892 he erected a new home on this land. This was called "Deasland". George Harcourt was a great sportsman. He won numerous prizes at shooting matches and frequently went on shooting expeditions including an annual wallaby shooting expedition in the mountains west of the Murrumbidgee. He was also a keen fisherman and a good cricketer. He became Captain of the Ginninderra Cricket team and the records indicate he was equally at home as a bowler and a batsman. .
George married Millicent Sophia Ward daughter of Edmund Miles Ward and Margaret Collins. Edmund Ward was the Gardener on Ginninderra Estate. George and Millicent had three children - George Ward, Dudley Ward and Ethel Mills. George Harcourt was a good businessman and by the time he died rather prematurely on December 25 1893 he had amassed considerable wealth. The Harcourt family left Ginninderra about 1913 after their land was acquired by the Commonwealth as part of the Federal Capital Territory.
Reverend John Harcourt - Information provided by Judy Vardy
John Harcourt was born 22 March 1817 in Birmingham, the son of John Harcourt and Elizabeth. His father was a brassfounder. He was early orphaned, his parents dying before he was eight. He was educated at King Edward’s Grammar School. In 1842, with his cousin Robert, and a Mr Stevens, he chartered a vessel in Tyne to take goods to New Zealand. Off the coast of Tasmania, the vessel became leaky and the crew Mutinous, so they put into Hobart – thus he arrived in Van Dieman’s land. It is believed he gave up a commercial career to enter the ministry in 1845. He was influenced by Dr Newton, one of the most popular preachers in England.
In 1846/7 he was in South Australia with a circuit of 130 miles from Willunga to Burra. In 1849 he married Ann Sargeant Turner, daughter of the Rev. Nathaniel Turner at the Weslyan Chapel, Parramatta, NSW. From 1848-51 he was in Melbourne, Collins St church, then preacher at the “diggings” at Mt Alexander (now Castlemaine). He was back to Wullunga, SA between 1852-5 and in Adelaide, SA from 1857-9. He was in Castlemaine, VIC. In 1860-2 and Melbourne 1863-8. In 1869-71 he was in Launceston, Tasmania and back to Sandhurst (Bendigo) between 1872-3. From 1874-6 he was in Melbourne, then Sale, VIC from 1877-8. He was in Geelong from 1879-81 and retired in 1882.
He died on December 6 1893 at his residence “home Cottage” Kew, and was buried at Boroondara Cemetery, Kew, Vic.
Lady Evelyn Harcourt, nee Suart - Information Provided by Rebekah Coombs
A Talented Concert Pianist who pioneered modern music.
Evelyn was born in India daughter of late Brig – General Suart. She spent her early childhood between India and England and Gibraltar. She married firstly in 1910 to Gerard Gould who later died in 1916. They had one son and two daughters. She later married Admiral Sir Cecil Harcourt in 1920.
Evelyn was educated in Brussels, Paris and Vienna. She made he debut as a pianist in Vienna, English debut with Sir Henry J. Wood at Queen’s Hall. Has since played at leading concerts in British Isles, made six tours, played with Warsaw Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic, Vienna Symphony Concerts in 1910 and in Brussels, Balfour Gardiner Orchestral Concerts 1918. Evelyn was a pioneer of modern music, President of the Society of Women Musicians from 1930-32.
Heroic Harcourts - Information provided by Jennifer Tombs and Anthony Staunton
While answering a query for someone who was tracing Harcourts I discovered a number of Harcourts have received Bravery Awards during the various wars.
One of them Joseph Harcourt Tombs received a VC in 1915. We haven’t found where Joseph fits in yet but we are sure he is from a Harcourt line…
“Joseph Harcourt Tombs, No 10073, L-Cpl, 1st Battn, the King’s (Liverpool Regt). Date of Act of Bravery: 16 June 1915. For most conspicuous gallantry near Rue de Bois, on 16 June 1915. On his own initiative he crawled out repeatedly under very heavy shell and machine-gun fire, to bring in wounded men who were lying about one hundred yards in front of our trenches. He rescued four men, one of whom he dragged back by means of a rifle sling placed around his own neck and the mans body. This man was so severely wounded that unless he had been immediately attended to he must have died”
In World War Two No TX2156 Harcourt, Harry Gladyn was awarded the US Silver Star.
Three members of the RAAF with the second name Harcourt were awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. They were: 428390 Jackson, Jerrold Harcourt. 57 Sqn RAF DFC
416098 Kelly, Deen Harcourt. 80 Sqn RAAF DFC
411038 Morris, Alan Roy Harcourt. 463 Sqn RAAF DFC
Joseph Harcourt Tombs. B. 23 March 1888 D. 18 June 1966
Francis Manuel Harcourt - Information provided by Shirley and Anthony West.
Harcourts in Calcutta, India.
Francis Manuel Harcourt was possibly born in Brighton, Sussex on 28 May 1842. He went to India in unknown circumstances, and in 1872 he was a guard on the Eastern Bengal Railway at Sealdh (Calcutta). In 1878 he was Station Master at Kooshtea on the Eastern Bengal Railway, and in 1893 he was Station Master at Siliguri on the Darjeeling & Himalayan Railway.
He married Ann Mathilda Rozario (nee Phillips) at the Old Church, Mission Row, Calcutta on 6th July 1871. He died in Calcutta on 22 April 1898.
They were known to have at least two daughters – Lilian Harcourt and Olivia Eleanor Harcourt. Olivia married Joseph Charles Jones at St Pauls Church, Scotts Lane, Calcutta on 15 November 1893 and she died on 6th September 1901 from TB.
Mary Ann Harcourt - Information Provided by Jenny Buckingham
Mary Anne Harcourt was born on 2 Aug. 1815 in Birmingham. She was baptised at St Martins in 1819. Her parents were John Harcourt and Elizabeth Bronkhurst.
Mary Ann came to Sydney, Australia on the Lady McNaughton arriving in 1840. She married James Walker on the 31 August 1842. Their first child was born in Sydney and then they moved to Brisbane Grove near Bathurst where James ran a store.
When one of their daughters married in Melbourne in 1868 the marriage certificate states that James was not present in the colony. Perhaps this was a euphemism for the parents no longer living together!
Mary Anne died in Victoria in 1872. James cut his own throat while living in an asylum in 1896.
Both Mary Ann and James came from large families who made their mark in the early years of Australia. John Harcourt and James Thomas Harcourt were Mary Anne’s brothers and William Walker was a well known businessman. It appears that neither Mary Ann or James followed their successful footsteps