The long term observing site for Perth was established in the Observatory Grounds, Kings Park in January, 1897. This site continued until 1963 when a new site was established 300 metres to the east of the Old Hale School Building. The next site began in 1967 in Wellington Street, East Perth, however this was closed in April 1992 when the Bureau of Meteorology Regional Office moved to a new site. From April 1992 all official Perth observations were taken at Perth Airport until a new observing site was established in Mt. Lawley (a few kilometres from the city centre) in November, 1993 and this site is still in operation today.
Prior to 1897, some meteorological observations were made, with fairly complete records of temperature at certain hours, wind and general weather conditions between 1830 and 1875, and more complete records from 1876 onwards. The observing instruments were located near Barrack Street until 1885 when it was moved to the Botanical Gardens.