The Honey History                             11 Aug 2011


Chapter One




The surname HONEY originates in Cornwall,  not as many believe through bee-keeping,  but is a Patronomic,  a name derived from a family name.  It is probably a contraction of the common Cornish name HANNIBAL,  as is suggested by Pawley White in “A Handbook of Cornish Surnames”,  and more or less confirmed through a study of the distribution of early Honeys by Alan Honey.[1]


The key to the family of Honeys in Australia is Thomas Honey's  family from the North East of Cornwall.  Thomas Honey was an agricultural labourer, one of a long line of Honeys living around Launceston, dating back over 500 years.  A much earlier ancestor, a Richard Honey, appeared in the "Rotuli Hundredorum" in 1279.[2]


The earliest known direct ancestors of Thomas date from as early as 1724 where:-


William Honey and Joan Down were married on the 17th August 1724 at South Petherwin, Cornwall.        and their son . . .




John Honey was baptised on the 22nd October 1727 South Petherwin, buried on the 19th March 1797 South Petherwin,  married on the 21st June 1752 South Petherwin  to Mary Martin                   and their son . . .





John Honey baptised 29th July 1759 South Petherwin, and buried 2nd December 1840 South Petherwin, married 16th May 1782 South Petherwin  to Mary Cornish

and their son was Thomas Honey . . .[3]  



An extended family tree of this early South Petherwin HONEY family is found at HoneyFirst


Thomas HONEY was baptised on the 25th February 1798 around Launceston, and was buried on the 9th February 1843 at the tender age of 45 years.  He was the youngest son of John Honey and Mary Cornish of South Petherwin, Cornwall.[4]


Thomas was married on the 16th May 1824 at the St Mary of Magdalene Church in Launceston to Mary GOODMAN,  who was also of a long established Cornish family.  She was born about 1800.  They lived in Kenner's House, a rural house on a crossroad in the farmlands around South Petherwin, a small community about 2 miles South West of Launceston.[5]  It was here at the crossroads that they had eight children: - see the full descendants in file HoneySecond


BETSY GOODMAN HONEY born 29th April 1824 (bapt 16th May)

KEZIA HONEY (twin) born 15th March 1826 (bapt 15th March)           

MARY HONEY (twin) born 15th March 1826 (bapt 15th March)[6]

THOMAS GOODMAN HONEY born 28th January 1828 (bapt 27 Jan)

JOHN HONEY  born 22nd March 1830 (bapt 13th April)

MARIA HONEY  born 2nd December 1831 (bapt 1st Jan 1832)

CHARLOTTE HONEY  born 16th May 1834 (bapt 1st June)

RICHARD HONEY  born 30th December 1840[7],  and baptised on the 10th Jan 1842.[8]   


Thomas died suddenly with heart trouble on 6th February 1843, aged just 45, at South Petherwin in Cornwall.[9]  Mary was not able to raise a strapping family of eight children on her own in the farmlands of Cornwall as farming at that time was undergoing a severe recession,[10] so she decided to emmigrate.  As she had goitre and knew it was probably going to kill her within a few short years she took that very brave step into the unknown.[11]  She sold the house in 1844, and collected together what belongings they had, and with seven children went to Australia.  The eldest daughter, Betsy, had married in Cornwall to John Jonas so they both joined the migration to Australia.[12]


They travelled on the barque Theresa, a sailing vessel of 495 tons with Thomas Bacon as master, with departures from London and Plymouth. They arrived in South Australia on the 3rd May 1847,[13]  and the Honey family originally settled at Alberton.[14]  Four years later Mrs Mary Honey died in Adelaide on 16th June 1851, aged 52, whilst undergoing an operation to remove a tumour from her neck.[15]  The family were left to their own devices.  Richard was then only eight years old,  but the others were all young adults.


                   BETSY GOODMAN HONEY        


Betsy, the eldest child, was born on the 29th April 1824, and was married to John JONAS in Cornwall.  She was pregnant on her departure from England when she and her husband accompanied the rest of the Honey family on the Theresa to South Australia.  Betsy and John Jonas flourished around Port Adelaide and Semaphore, where he worked as a carter and contractor.[16]   Their eleven children were as follows        


William Goodman JONAS was born en route to South Australia on the Theresa.[17] and was baptised 29th June 1847 in Adelaide.[18]  He was a carter of Port Adelaide, just like his father, and was married on the 1st January 1870 in North Adelaide to Rachel BURTON (1848-1883)[19]  He died on the 28th July 1891 aged 44 years, and is buried in Western Australia.[20]  No family descendents have yet been discovered.


Robert Drummond JONAS was born on the 21st March 1849 in Goodwood, SA.  His religion was C of E.  He was a carter, contractor and hotel licensee of Port Adelaide and Alberton.[21]  He married Katura TEMPLER (1852- 1918) on the 11th December 1874 and his three children included Pte Albert Robert B. Jonas (1880-June 1917 killed in France).  Robert died on the 27th November 1929 in his 81st year.[22]


Charlotte JONAS was born on the 23rd June in Goodwood, baptised on the 3rd July 1850 in Port Adelaide, and died on the 13th March 1856 in Port Adelaide, at the age of just 6 years.[23]


Betsy Ann JONAS was born on the 23rd February, baptised on the 13th March 1852 in Port Adelaide, and died on the 10th March 1853 at Port Adelaide to be buried in Cheltenham cemetery,  aged just thirteen months.[24]


John Francis JONAS was baptised on the 9th October 1853 in Port Adelaide, SA., died on the 3rd January 1892 as a result of an accident in Port Adelaide and was buried in Cheltenham Cemetery, aged 38 years.  He was unmarried [25]


Sabina Victoria Bower JONAS was born on the 28th August 1855 in Port Adelaide, and married on the 31st October 1877 in Hindmarsh, SA. to William Detmar COOK (1848-1910), a clerk and ship’s interpreter. They lived in Woodville and albert Park, and their children include 5 sons and one daughter.  Sabina died in Albert Park, Adelaide on the 14th November 1952, and was buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.


Daniel JONAS was born on the 14th February 1857 and baptised on the 29th March 1857 in Port Adelaide, SA.  He died on the 22nd October 1924 in Portland, SA., aged 66 years, and was buried in Cheltenham Cemetery. His religion was C of E. and he was a carrier with residence at Port Adelaide and Portland.  Daniel married on the 25th August 1879 in SA. to Susan Esther STONE (1855-1921) and they had twelve children.


Elizabeth Ann Goodman JONAS was born on the 18th February 1859 and baptised on the 18th March at Port Adelaide.  She died on the 9th August 1904 at Semaphore, SA. and was buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.  She married in 1890 in SA. to James SMEATON (1852-1891) and as yet no family have been discovered.[26]


Selina JONAS was born on the 9th August 1861 and died on the 22nd February 1862 in Port Adelaide, SA.  She was buried in Alberton Cemetery, SA. aged 6 months.[27]


Rhoda Charlotte JONAS was born on the 27th December 1862 at Port Adelaide, was first married on the 28th Oct 1885 to Edwin Thomas RICHARDS (-1912) and there were no children.  Rhoda later married George Thomas JOHNSON (1867-1936), and they had one child - Lena.  Rhoda died at Semaphore on the 19th September 1949 and was buried in Cheltenham Cemetery at the age of 87 years.[28]


Richard Frederick JONAS born on the 18th July 1866, and died on on the 3rd May                1945 in Queenstown, SA to be buried in Cheltenham Cemetery, aged 80 years.  He was a builder and carpenter, living at Portland road, Queenstown in a "Bower-owned" house.  He married on the 10th August 1886 in SA. to Rose Eleanor Jane HOWARD (1868-1948) and they had six children.


Betsy died on the 26th of October 1905 aged 81 years at Newman Street, Semaphore and she was buried at Woodville.  Her husband John died on the 10th July 1878 at Quebec Street, Port Adelaide, and was buried at Alberton, aged 67 years.[29]


                   KEZIA  HONEY        


The first of the twins, born on the 1st March and baptised on the 15th March 1826, was married on the 27th September 1847 in the Trinity Church, Adelaide, to John White, a 28 year old glasscutter of South Australia.[30]  Kezia died at the residence of Mr David Bower in Port Adelaide on 2nd July 1871 aged 45 years.[31] Their three children were as follows:-


Frances Charlotte WHITE was born on the 1st February 1849 in SA., and died on the 21st September 1926 to be buried in Cheltenham Cemetery, SA  She married in 1870 to James BEATTON (1841-1905) and they had eight children


Fanny Kezia WHITE was born around 1853 and was first married in 1878 to Thomas Benjamin TERRELL (1855-1881).  There was at least one male child according to family history.  The second marriage of Fanny was on the 17th June 1885 in SA. to Allan QUIN (1849-1893), and there was one son.


Ellen Maria WHITE was born in 1858 and died on the 17th Apr 1929 in SA.  She was buried in Cheltenham Cemetery at the age of 71 years.  Ellen changed her name to Ellen WHITE-BOWER to satisfy conditions of inheritance in David BOWER’s will,  where she was bequeathed the use of “St Clair”.[32]


                   MARY  HONEY        


The second of the twins, Mary was married in about 1847 to David BOWER.[33]   David was born on the 11th April 1819 at Upper Mill, Saddleworth, Yorkshire, and as a youth learned the trades of mechanic and carpenter.  He left Liverpool in 1841 on the ship England, worked on several projects in Melbourne,  then after a time in Auckland,  moved to Port Adelaide in 1846, His activities in and around this district earned him the label of “The Father of Port Adelaide”[34]


In that year of 1846 David Bower established the original Lion Timber Yards in Vincent Street, Pt Adelaide - opposite the present Town Hall site.  These yards were later moved when the land they occupied became too valuable to operate as just a timber yard, to be located as new yards on a three acre site nearer the Port Adelaide Railway Station.[35]  From these early yards he built a number of shops and residences in Port Adelaide before returning to England for two years from 1858 to 1860.[36]


Back in Australia in 1860, David Bower established a business in Wallaroo, which gave him the virtual monopoly of timber trade on the Yorke Peninsular, supplying the copper mines and other large contracts. He built the Wallaroo Police Station and Customs House, and a substantial two story home overlooking Wallaroo Bay.


He was elected to Parliament in 1864 for the Electorate of Port Adelaide, which included the Yorke Peninsular. He remained in business at Wallaroo until 1870, when he returned to England again. There he puchased the barque Silver Stream for direct trade between Wallaroo and England.  This ship ran aground on 2nd April 1881 on the South Flats off Garden Island in Western Australia.[37]  After selling his interests in Wallaroo to Thomas Davies in 1872 he took up permanent residence at Woodville.[38]


David Bower was elected the Mayor of Port Adelaide for the three year term of 1876 to 1878.[39]


David Bower also had built the Jubilee Homes - David Bower Cottages on Bower Road, in Semaphore Park to house distressed seamen, and these were restored in 1978. David's occupations during his life included mechanic, carpenter, timber merchant, local town councillor and S.A. State politician, and he had residences in Port Adelaide, Wallaroo, and Woodville.


"St Clair" was the name of the mansion he bought in Woodville in 1874 for his family, and it was here that both he and his wife died.  Mary died on the 18th of April 1896 at the age of 70 and David Bower died two years after at the age of 79 on the 6th July 1898.  They were buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.  There were no children.[40] 


In Cheltenham Cemetery there are also interred other members of the Bower family.  Miss Hannah Bower (1832-1856), the sister of David,  died at his house on 1st August 1856.[41]  Of his brother Amos Bower (1820-1878), although he was buried in Alberton, his wife Mary and both of his sons, Joseph (1862-1954) and Richard (1864-1950), are in Cheltenham.[42]  Indeed, both Joseph Bower, who died 8th Nov 1954 aged 92 years, and Joseph's wife Agnes Mary who died 18th September 1945, aged 77 years, were interred in the David Bower crypt.  They were also given as late of "St Clair", so the Bower residence was still occupied by the family into the next century.[43]


Also in the David Bower burial crypt there is buried a niece of David Bower, Miss Ellen White-Bower, who died 17th April 1929, aged 71 years, at "St Clair".[44]  Ellen was a child of Kezia,  Mary's twin sister, who was bequeathed the use of the residence “St Clair” with the proviso that she took on the BOWER name.  Another nearby grave in Cheltenham gives the other nephew, Richard Bower who died 8th December 1950, aged 86 years, and Annie Bower died 1st January 1969, aged 100 years, 7 months,[45]  so this generation showed a remarkable longevity among the two sons and their wives.



                        THOMAS  HONEY        


Thomas Goodman HONEY was born in South Petherwin, Cornwall on the 5th January and baptised on the 27 January 1828.  He began work as a builder around Woodville.  He married aged 33 years at Arrarat, Victoria to Esther Sophia POULSON (1834-1913) in 1861.[46]  They had no children. 


Thomas may have been the trouble-shooter for "Honey and Co".  In June 1886 he travelled from  Melbourne to Fremantle on the SS Albany.  He was there for nine months probably helping his brother Richard establish the Fremantle branch of the company, and returned to Adelaide in March 1887, again on the SS Albany.[47]


In 1888, nine days after leaving his usual residence in Woodville, he was on a trip to the Lion Timber Yards in Broken Hill, NSW.[48]  There Thomas developed inflammation of the lungs and he died a further nine days later on the 28th of June 1888 at the age of 61 years. His brother Richard collected his body which was railed to Adelaide to be buried  within the family plot in Cheltenham Cemetery, S.A.[49]  His wife Sophia died on the 23rd September 1913, aged 79 years , and is also interred with him.[50]



                   JOHN  HONEY        


John HONEY was born on the 22nd March 1830 and baptised on the 13th April 1830 at South Petherwin, Cornwall, Eng.  John was a 21 year old carpenter of Grenfell Street, Adelaide when his mother died in 1851.  Little else is known of him.  The whereabouts of John Honey's family is also unknown however he died 29th January 1908, aged 77 years, and is buried with his brother Thomas in Cheltenham Cemetery.[51]


                   MARIA  HONEY        


Maria HONEY was born on the 2nd December 1831 and baptised on the 1st January 1832 in South Petherwin, Cornwall, Eng.  She was married in South Australia on the 18th September 1851 to Peter ROBERTS, [52]  a Master Mariner, and their residence was at Guichen Bay in South Australia.  Only one child of theirs is known - Charles Francis Livenburg ROBERTS born on the 24th December 1854.[53]  Peter ROBERTS and David BOWER went into partnership to purchase the “Robert Clive” and ran freight between Sydney and Melbourne durng the gold boom, with David BOWER organising the cargoes and Peter ROBERTS probably as captain of the vessel.[54]


                   CHARLOTTE  HONEY        


Charlotte was born on the 16th May 1834 and baptised on the 1st June 1834 in South Petherwin, Cornwall, and was just nearing her 13th birthday when she arrived in SA. with her family on the Theresa in 1847.  She was married at the age of 20 years, on the 27th April 1854 at "St James Church" in Melbourne to Michael Hummerston, a shoemaker and later a licensed victualler in the Chidlow’s Well Hotel in Western Australia.  He was born in 1822 in Epping, Essex, son of George HUMMERSTON and Mary PINDON,  and arrived in South Australia around 1849 and settled in Ballarat.  After their marriage Michael and Charlotte moved to Steiglitz, North of Geelong, probably in search of gold,  and it was here that their first children were born.[55]


Clara Ann Maria HUMMERSTON  was born about 1855 in Steiglitz, Victoria.  Clara married on the 29th August 1878 in Stansbury, SA. to Daniel Thomas TAPLEY (1844-1909), son of Daniel and Margaret TAPLEY of Burma, and Woodville, SA.  Daniel became a bank manager of Adelaide, Redhill and Caltowie, SA.  They had three daughters all born in South Australia.[56]


Rosaline Victoria HUMMERSTON  was born about 1858 in Steiglitz,  and died aged just 1 year old in 1859, also in Steiglitz, Victoria.


Rhoda Louise HUMMERSTON  was born in 1859 in Geelong, Vic.[57]  She was married on the 6th February 1879 in SA. to James Hogarth CRAWFORD,  but their family have yet to be located.

Charles Francis HUMMERSTON was born on the 13th May 1861 in Carlton,[58] and married twice.  In 1884 in Adelaide he married Elizabeth Jane WATSON (c1860-1905) and children were Lindsay Gordon (1888-1946), Gladys (1893) and Horace Stanley (1890-1926). Horace Stanley was a Captain in the 16th Battalion, A.I.F., Military Cross and POW in Germany who died young as a result of this war service.   In about 1915 in Kalamunda, WA. Charles married Rose Chubb (1892-1941) and children were Stanley William (1929-1997) and another male,  deceased.  Charles was a marine engineer, serving in the Navy, as a lighthouse engineer and then worked for Adelaide Steamships during the early days of steam. He moved to WA. in the late 1800's and had the Kalamunda Hotel built by 25th June 1902,  whereupon he became a full time publican, and Kalamunda Roads Board Member, and later Chairman in 1905.  The hotel was sold in 1926 and he died in Royal Perth Hospital on the 20th May 1930.[59]  Charles and Rose ran a boarding house at 36 Wellington Street, Perth until he died and then Rose re-married to Richard FURZE


Henry Augustus HUMMERSTON was born on the 23rd December 1862 in Carlton, and married twice.  On the 28th February 1887 he married Eliza Emily Goldsmith (1861-1900) and their children were Rhoda Myrtle (1888-1969), Dorothy Eliza (1889), Harry Goldsmith (1891-1955) and Douglas Goldsmith (1898-1898). Henry had moved to W.A. around 1895 and became the licensee of the Helena Vale Hotel by 1898.  At this time he puchased a town lot and built the two storey brick Mundaring Hotel, which was opened in April 1898.  When his wife Eliza died in 1900 Henry returned to South Australia in 1901 to marry her younger sister,  Annie Goldsmith (1872-1956),  and they had one child,  John Goldsmith (1906-1982), born in South Australia.  Henry died on 17th March 1932 at his Mount Lawley residence in Western Australia.[60]


Edith Maud HUMMERSTON  was born in 1865 in Melbourne, Victoria,[61]  and married in South Australia in 1885 to Frederick Stacey PEARCE.[62]  Their family has yet to be located.


Ada HUMMERSTON b c1866[63]  Is this Adella


Richard Ernest HUMMERSTON was born on the 11th May 1867 in Stony Creek, Victoria, and was married on the 2nd April 1890 to Catherine Jane Goldsmith (1866-1949) and their children were Kathleen (1889-1889), Richard Goldsmith (1892-1976), Harold Francis Shimmin (1897-1898), Annie Romero (1899-1981) and Leonard Goldsmith (1901-1964).  Richard moved to WA around 1887 to work for his uncle Richard Honey in his rapidly expanding timber interests.  His story is tied to the growth of Honey and Co. and the Lion Mill township given in Chapter Three. Apart from timber yards,  his later interests also saw him involved like his father and brothers in the hotel industry,  holding the licenses to the Mingenew Hotel (1912-1914), the P & O Hotel in Fremantle (1914-1917) and the Council Club Hotel in Midland Junction (1917-1919). He died on the 2nd November 1936 at RPH, in Perth.[64]


Lillian Rose HUMMERSTON  was born in 1869 in Stony Creek, Vic.[65]  and married twice.  The first marriage was in South Australia in 1890, husband not yet known.  The second marriage was in 1897 to Harold Kingley OVERTON and they had two children in Western Australia..


Adella Victoria HUMMERSTON was born in 1872 in Steiglitz, Victoria.[66] and was married in 1897 to John Harold DOWSON in Western Australia.[67]  They had three children and Adella died on the 23rd Apr 1940,  to be buried at Karrakatta, WA.


After 1873 there were no further births in Victoria to Michael and Charlotte,  because Charlotte had died in 1876 in Victoria,[68]  It was after this that the family moved to South Australia.


Michael Hummerston married a second time to Mary McCracken in 1882 in South Australia,[69] and there are two further children:-


Michael George HUMMERSTON  was born in 1884 in Quorn, SA., married 1916 to Daisy Eliza Agnes GOULD (1886-1974) and died on the 11th July 1946 in Perth.  Michael was an engine driver.


William Victor HUMMERSTON  was born in 1889,  married Florence Ellen HAYMAN (1889-1983) and died on the 12th January 1973.[70]


Most members of the Hummerston family later moved separately or in family groups to Western Australia,  where they became quite settled in the Upper Swan and Helena River area.  Young Richard moved first around 1885 to go to work for his Uncle Richard Honey in the timber industry in Fremantle and he eventually settled in Lion Mill (Mt Helena). Michael moved and by 1902 had became involved in the hospitality industry in Chidlows Well, with young Charles  and young Henry both being successful tradesmen in South Australia had the background funds to purchase and operate licences in the Western Australian Hotel Industry.[71] 


                   RICHARD  HONEY        


These are the South Australian families, and are quite well documented.

See the Chapter Two for Richard's story.

Chapter Two




Richard Honey was the eighth and youngest child of Thomas Honey (1798- 1843 Cornwall) and  Mary Goodman (1800 Cornwall - 1851 Adelaide).  He was born on 30th December 1840 at Kenner's House, a place situated on a crossroads within view from the township of South Petherwin, near the City of Launceston, Cornwall.[72]


When Richard was just one year old, his father died suddenly with heart trouble on 6th February 1843, aged 45, at South Petherwin, Cornwall.[73]   At the age of 5 years, Richard left England with his mother, two brothers and all five sisters as well as his eldest sister Betsy's husband John Jonas. His mother, Mary, had sold the property at Kenner's House and collected the whole family plus a few belongings and sailed for Australia.


They travelled on the barque “Theresa”, of 495 tons with Thomas Bacon as master, from London and Plymouth. They arrived in South Australia on 3rd May 1847.[74]


The family originally settled at Alberton,[75] and when Mrs Mary Honey died on 16th June 1851, aged 52, whilst undergoing an operation, Richard was then only 8 years old.[76]


Young Richard Honey began work as an apprentice to David Bower, his brother-in-law, in the Lion Timber Yards in Vincent Street, Port Adelaide - opposite the present Town Hall site.  These yards were moved when the land became too valuable as a timber yard to new yards on a site nearer the Port Adelaide Railway Station.  Shortly after the move Richard bought out Mr Bowers share's of Lion Timber Yards and soon became the sole proprietor.[77] 


Richard was a most genial character and as a young man he rapidly became skilled in gaining the confidence of people he worked with.  He would have impressed his uncle David Bower, and with experience took over running aspects of the timber business.  During his work he came into contact with Francis Reynolds who was a builder, timber merchant and later Mayor of Port Adelaide, and came from a well established family of builders in the Colony.  Richard, then a bachelor of thirty four years was attracted to Mary Ann Reynolds, the nineteen year old daughter of Francis. Family folklore says he gained the finances to buy out David Bower through his new wife Mary Ann, whose father Francis died in England twelve months before the marriage.


At the age of 35, on the 16th of April 1875, Richard married Mary Ann Reynolds in "St Paul's Church" in Port Adelaide. She was born on the 3rd of May 1855, the daughter of Francis Reynolds (1824- 1874) and his wife Ann Revell (b.1828).[78]


Their first child was born in Port Adelaide, however the other eight were all born at "Lionville", Richard Honey's mansion built in 1876 at the end of Woodville Road.[79]   All were baptised at "St Margaret of Scotland" in Woodville in two mass baptisms - the first five children on 4th October 1882 by the Reverend Thomas Blackburn, and the last four children on 29th July 1892 by the Reverend Thomas Fiedel.[80]  They were as follows :-         


Ethel Rose Honey born 15th March 1876 and died 16th September 1947 in Alton, England.  She married on the 4th January 1900 to Harry Edward Augustus Twyford (1870-1967) K.B.E. who became Sheriff in 1934, and  Lord Mayor of London in 1937, and they had two children - Harry Richard (b.1900) and Ennis Mary (b.1917).[81]


Lionel Richard Honey born 13th June 1877 and died 23rd October 1959 in Bunbury, WA. He married on 16th July 1900 to Roma Mary Braddock (b.1878), daughter of the first schoolmaster in Lion's Mill (now Mt Helena) WA. They had six children -James (1901-1901), Roma Mary (b.1904) Dudley Richard (1907-1971), Robert Henry (b.1910), Lionel Charles (1911-1973), John Lisle (1917-1946?).[82]  Lionel's story is in Chapter Three.


Hilda Mary Honey born 17th March 1879 and died in Perth on 3rd August 1964. She married Lewis Glanville Notley (1874-28 Jan 1949), and they had two children - Lewis Richard Glanville Notley (1903-1970) and Peter Glanville Notley (1908-1947).[83]


Hilda and her husband spent most of their married lives in India where he was a tea plantation owner, returning eventually to Perth, where they both died. Peter died two weeks after reaching Perth in 1947 from Calcutta on a visit to see his parents.  Lewis remained unmarried, living in Perth and later in Kulin.[84]


Ruby Margaretta Honey born 24th July 1880 and died 19th July 1970 in Adelaide.  She married in 1905 to Richard Dawson Tolmer (1874-1941) and they had five children - Jean (b.1906), Richard Alexander (1907-1931), Gerald Douglas (b.1908), Nellie (b.1910), Ruby Pamela (b.1914).


Richard Tolmer completed his schooling at Hahndorf Academy, SA and eventually took up the property near Naracoorte that he named "Caithness".  On  retirement the family moved to Seacliffe.[85]


Harry Woodville Honey born 26th July 1882 and died 30th March 1933 in Peterborough, SA.  He married on the 3rd August 1911 to Ethel Gladys Musson (1892-1956) and they had five children - Harry Musson Woodville (b.1913), Roger Charles Woodville (b.1916) Ruth Mary (b.1922), John Woodville (b.1925), Nancy Margaret (b.1927).


Harry was educated at St Peter's College where his name appears on the honour roll of Da Costa Hall. He became an engineer for the Blue Funnel Line living in Rose Bay, Sydney from 1911-1915, Alton, Hampshire, Eng. (1915-1924) and then returned to South Australia He was buried 1st April 1833 in his father's plot in Cheltenham Cemetery.[86]


Victor Gordon Honey was born 13th November 1885 and died 21st March 1902, killed in a shooting accident in New Zealand at the age of 16 years.[87]  An inscription is on the headstone of his father in Cheltenham Cemetery.


Roy Reynolds Honey born 16th August 1887 and died 21st April 1959 in Adelaide.  He married on 14th October 1909 to Gertrude Irene Underwood (1886-1972) and they had five children - Richard (1910-1980), Hilda Margaret (1912- 1914), Helen Joyce (b.1914), Mary (1919-1965), Elizabeth (b.1928).


Roy was educated at state schools, St Peter's College, and then Roseworthy Agricultural College. He owned the property "Wyalong" at Naracoorte, S.A., then moved to 82 Cheltenham St, Malvern in about 1916, where lived for the rest of his life, except during the four years (1927 to 1931) in Broken Hill where he was manager of W.H. Burford & Sons, Ltd.[88]  His memorial appears on his father's headstone in Cheltenham Cemetery.


Dudley David Goodman Honey born 8th February 1890 and died 5th October 1955 in Perth. He married on the 4th of November 1914 to Florence Muriel Combley (1894-1970) and they had five children - Peter Richard (b.1915),  David Dudley (b.1917), Fred (b.1921), Mary (b.1925), and Margaret (b.1928).[89]  Dudley's story is in Chapter Three.


Charles St Clair Honey born 22nd May 1892 and died in Sydney. He left home when a young man, lived in Sydney, married late in life and had no children.[90]


BACK ROW: Harry Woodville, Ethel Rose, Lionel Richard, Hilda Mary

FRONT ROW: Ruby Margaretta, Charles St Clair, Mrs Mary Ann HONEY,

Dudley David Goodman, Victor Gordon, Roy Reynolds

(photo taken circa 1896 a few years after the death of Richard)


A more elaborate family tree of this HONEY family is at HoneyAust


Richard was a large importer of building materials and technology from all parts of the world.  He introduced into Australia the Swiss system of timber shrinkage by steaming, patented by the Swiss expert, Reiser, and established these seasoning kilns in his Port Adelaide yards.[91]  He patented the Pavodilus, a floorboard that didn't need nailing.[92] 


As a contractor and builder in South Australia he built the first workshops in Islington, the new courthouse at Port Adelaide, Meers, D & J Fowler's premises at Port Adelaide, State Schools in different parts of the colony, and wharves, jetties and bridges around Australia.[93]  For one of his many contracts he lengthened the Moonta Railway Jetty by 96 feet in 1874 giving an additional depth of only six inches.[94]  He became the leading timber merchant and construction contractor in South Australia, and by 1889 he had established premises of -

·        the timber yard, Butler Street, Port Adelaide, SA

·        the stacking and timber storage yards (D. Bower, J.P., and R. Honey), Formby Parade,

Port Adelaide. (left hand side from Vincent Street).

·        the timber yards and sawmills, Honey Road / Godfrey Street, Port Adelaide (James

Bailey, manager of Honey Timber Yard) (ref 23a)

·        the Port Augusta site

With his South Australian operations under full control he then extended his sphere of influence interstate. 


His empire in Western Australia became even more extensive than in South Australia and required his constant travelling between his interests in both states.[95] His journeys to Western Australia include four weeks from May 1886 - arriving and departing on the  “South Australian”, eight weeks including a trip to the North West Ports from February 1887 - arriving on the Franklin and departing on the Albany, and eight weeks from October 1887 - arriving on the Albany and  leaving on the “South Australian”.[96] So in this short 18 months he was interstate for more than a quarter of the time, and travelling First Class on the steamships constantly he would have made many contacts with other people of substance in the interstate trade.


Richard established other Lion Mill Yards at Adelaide and Port Augusta in South Australia, Bunbury, Fremantle (established May 1887), Maylands, and Perth (near the railway station) in Western Australia, and Broken Hill in New South Wales.  For his source of timber, mills were established in the forests at Lion Mill (now Mount Helena) and Crooked Brook, both in WA.[97]  He also imported timber from all over the world including the Baltic and Burma.[98]  During its developing days around 1887 the firm averaged between 300 to 350 employees throughout Australia, and was beginning to expand.[99]


Richard had eight sailing vessels of his own in the intercolonial and coastal trade including :

“ETHEL” - his private yacht, which came third in the 1880 Glenelg Yacht Race.[100]

“MARY BLAIR” - the barque of 327.64 tons under Captain T. Askin, built in 1870 of wood by Duthie of Aberdeen, with dimensions of 141.6 x 27.0 x 14.6 feet, having a round stern, 1 deck and 3 masts.  Listed from March 1887 to the Port of Adelaide and then also listed in February 1889 in the Fremantle Register of Shipping, to "R. Honey and Co."31  This barque was put on to the Adelaide to Fremantle run, transporting timber to Adelaide and passengers on the return trip to Fremantle.[101]


“CAPELLA” - the ketch of 73 tons. For a time under Captain Richardson

     who worked for him for 18 months and said of Richard Honey:

             "He was one of the finest men I have ever worked for."[102]

“BEATRICE” - which was also used on the Fremantle run.[103]

“ELSIE” - the ketch of 59 tons

“LILY HAWKINS” - the ketch of 84 tons, owned by R. Honey & R. Glen.

“ELIZABETH ANNIE” - the schooner of 61 tons.

“OUSIORI” - the barque of 357 tons.[104]


Richard was an enthusiastic and expert yachtsman, and his enthusiasm ensured his election as Commodore of the Port Adelaide Royal Yacht Club.[105]  He was made a Justice of the Peace.


The family residence at "Lionville", at the top of Woodville Road was built around 1876 and demolished over a hundred years later in 1978 so that the Woodville Road could be extended.[106]


His interests into Western Australia were just beginning to expand when he died. His eldest son Lionel Richard Honey was not quite old enough to take on Richard's expansion programme, though he became quite a successful timber man in his own right. The amalgamation of the timber industry in WA. started soon after Richard's death. The potential that Richard had seen there but Lionel was unable to grasp was taken up to become "Millars" and "Bunnings"        


Richard died at his "Lionville" home on 24th November 1892, two weeks after falling ill on his yacht “Ethel”, at the age of only 51 years.[107]  This illness may have been aggravated, if not caused by, strain on his heart during a trip to Bunbury in late October where he extricated a coach from an accident, and returned unwell to Fremantle.[108]  His wife Mary Ann died at the age of 72, on the 22nd October 1927 at her residence - then in Railway Terrace, Franklin. They are buried together in the Cheltenham Cemetery with the high monument entwined with a ships anchor.[109] A list of their direct descendants now number over 198 confirmed, and are spread throughout the world.                             



Chapter Three


HONEY and PORT, Western Australia



The Honey involvement in the State of Western Australia began through the efforts of the intermediary J.C. Port. His involvement in the timber industry of Western Australia spans nearly fifty years, most of the time in tandem with the Honey family.





James Cornish Port was born on the 25th December 1858 to James Port and Sarah Cornish, in Newtown (Geelong),[110]  where his father had first settled after emigrating from England to Australia in about 1852.[111]  James Port senior had opened a timber yard at Geelong,  and then later another one in Melbourne on the corner of King and Collins Streets.[112]


At the age of 17, young James left one of the Geelong schools to work in his father's business.  However, the depression which had affected Melbourne around 1875 overwhelmed the business,  so his father sold out and the family moved to Port Pirie, where he set up an agency business for some of the Melbourne companies. With the local drought and little to occupy two men, James Cornish Port was sent by his father to seek out Richard Honey in Port Adelaide.


"Meeting Honey for the first time, he introduced himself as the son of James Port, Timber Merchant of Melbourne.    

'Perhaps you know my father,' he said.    

'I know your father very well,' replied Richard Honey, 'but it is not enough to know a man's father. Only a few days ago I put on a man because I knew his father, but a few days later he got away with the men's week's wages.'" [113]


Richard Honey gave young James Cornish Port a job as a timekeeper at the Islington Workshops, at that time being constructed under contract by Honey.[114]  This massive building tender was eventually successfully completed at a cost of 22 000 pounds.[115]


In 1880, after several years in his employment, Richard used his influence to arrange a passage for J.C. Port with the Adelaide Steamship Company.   He was the only passenger on the SS Franklin under Captain Creer, on its first Western run from  Port Adelaide to Albany, en route to Champion Bay (Geraldton). (Another steamer had just been lost off Rottnest Island).[116]


In 1883, Port was sent by Richard Honey to organise orders for him and to investigate markets and prices in Western Australia.[117]  He arrived in Fremantle on 18th and left on 25th May 1883, again on the Franklin,[118] gaining two new contracts.


In his third voyage James arrived in King George Sound (Albany) on the 2nd August by the Ballarat, and then travelled to Fremantle on the Perth  by 6th August 1886.[119]  This time he was to organise the construction of the National Bank, Perth, under contract to Richard Honey.  He began operations by establishing a timber mill in Fremantle, and obtained supplies of timber from White's Mill out of Guildford.[120]


Just before this third voyage, James Port was married at Adelaide to Emma Hayman from Woodville, S.A.[121]  He was away in Fremantle when his one and only child  Lily Elizabeth Port was born in Woodville, Adelaide om 30th October 1886.  His wife and baby daughter travelled to join him just three months later and landed at the place now known as Robb's Jetty. The trip from Adelaide may have been in the company of Richard Honey who arrived on 10th February 1887 on the Franklin.[122]





The "Honey and Co" Fremantle timber yard, which included a mill, was established about 1886 in Short Street, near the building that was then dubbed as "Manning's Folly" - an opera house too big for its time.  This  "Manning's Folly"  is now(?) the Fremantle skating rink.[123]


A composite portrait picture of the staff of "Richard Honey and Co, Fremantle, W.A." dated around 1887 includes Richard Honey, (proprietor) in the centre surrounded by J.C. Port (Honey & Co) Capt. T. Askin (the Mary Blair), R.G. Oldham (foreman carpenter), Richard Hummerston (foreman), W Birch (clerk), William C. Forsyth (manager),  F. Renner (staff) and J.A. Rowe (clerk).  Pictures of the Perth Timber Yards, Fremantle Timber Yards,  Lion Jarrah Mill (Mt Helena) and the barque Mary Blair are also included.[124]  In the second listing of the Western Australian Telephone Exchange of February 1888  "Honey, R. of Lion Timber Yard, Fremantle" is one of the 124 listed businesses.[125]


Richard Honey personally visited the state from 12th May to 12th June 1886 on the South Australian probably to finalise the National Bank contract.[126]  For the first of two 1887 visits, he arrived in Fremantle 10th February on the Franklin stayed for eight weeks and left for Adelaide 13th April 1887.[127]  His brother Thomas Honey  arrived 7th June 1886 from the Eastern Colonies,  stayed eight months and left on 9th March 1887 travelling both  times on the Albany.[128]  He was most likely assisting J.C. Port and brother Richard in establishing "Honey and Co".


Six months later Richard arrived again in Fremantle 7th October on the Albany,[129]  spent some time conducting business around Perth and then travelled North just three months after the "North West Hurricane of May 1887" that had devastated shipping and properties, and cost so many lives.[130] He visited Geraldton (Champion Bay) on 18th November 1887 on the SS Flinders as the number one cabin passenger coming South from Derby in the North West.[131]  The SS Flinders had replaced the SS Perth  on the North West run for the Adelaide Steamship Company after Perth was wrecked on the Point Cloates reef on 13th September 1887.[132] Richard continued on to Adelaide on 5th December 1887 aboard the South Australian.[133]


After seeing the potential for his own "Lion" Company Richard Honey began a programme of expansion.  The "Honey and Co", Perth timber yard was established in Maylands, probably around 1887, on the corner of Tenth Avenue and Railway Parade (where Irwell Taps is now).[134]  The barque Mary Blair was transferred from the Adelaide Register to the Fremantle Register of Shipping in February 1889,[135]  and White's Mill was purchased in 1888.[136]


In 1891 a small "Honey and Co" mill was built at Crooked Brook, on the Ferguson River, near Bunbury, and a "Honey and Co" sawmill and timber yard was opened up in Bunbury personally by J.C. Port, to be maintained there for many years. The Crooked Brook Mill supplied the sleepers for Bunbury end of the Perth-Bunbury railway, a contract Richard Honey had secured.[137]


                        WHITE'S MILL


White's Mill was named after Mr Abraham White,  who with his son- in-law Edward V.H. Keane, managed this timber mill in 1882, about one kilometre north of the railway and 20 kilometres from Guildford on the York Road.  They were assisted by his eighteen year old son Lionel White, who had gained considerable sawmilling experience from Wirraburra in South Australia.   White's Mill was to supply the sleepers to "Wright and Co."  who had the contract for the second section of the Eastern Railway extending from Guildfordto "Chidlow's Well".[138]   Another of Abraham's sons Edward was sent for from South Australia to assist with surveying the railway, an aspect where he had good experience from the Keane and White families' earlier contracts in South Australia.[139]


The firm of "Wright and Co." consisted of two South Australian railway contractors - James W. Wright and Edward V.H. Keane who formed the partnership to gain the contract to build the Eastern Railway.  Wright selected the mill-site and Keane applied for the original timber licence on 22nd April 1882.  The licence No.12/4 was first granted on 26th August 1882,  but by then the mill was in full operation.[140]  The whole milling plant was brought in from South Australia on the Jubilee,  steamered up-river to Guildford, and then hauled into the hills.[141]


The mill was originally called "Marrionvale" but soon became known as just White's Mill,  initially using two portable engines of 16 and 10 horsepower, but upgraded to a modern mill operated with a 130 horsepower Marshall engine. By 1884 the mill was sawing about 18 000 super feet per week.  Before the original twelve month concession to cut timber had expired, Keane and White purchased the entire mill from J.W. Wright for 4 000, and the next year gained the fourteen year lease on Lot 1036 for the 1020 acres that James Wright had originally secured.


Edward Keane, an English civil engineer, won the contract for the third section of the railway from Chidlows to York, and dissolved his partnership with J.W. Wright.  Later he gained contracts for the fourth section from York to Beverley, and then in 1886 the first 40 miles of the Midland Railway to Geraldton,  but with the death of his father-in-law Abraham White on 14th May 1885, the Midland Railway contract became more difficult to manage.  Young twenty one year old Lionel White took over the management of the mill until 1887 but the lure of gold prospecting took him away from the mill.[142]


Gold became quite a common conversation piece around "White's Mill". Lionel White was with Colreavy and Huggins when they discovered Golden Valley, North of Bullfinch. Edward Keane equipped Colreavy to return to the Yilgarn and he found the Kathleen Mine. Thomas Riseley, Keane's manager, went with Mick Toomey and Charles Crossland when they discovered the Southern Cross gold field.[143]


To finance the escalating costs for the Midland Line, Edward Keane closed White's Mill in May 1888,  sold the machinery, and signed over the timber concessions and mill site to the Union Bank.[144] He was later able borrow funds in London, and went on to complete all of the Midland Railway to Geraldton in 1890. Recognising the export value of the Western Australian hardwoods, and needing a good supply, Richard Honey bought the "White's Mill" site in 1889 on James Port's recommendation,[145]



                   LION MILL


James Cornish Port was put in as the manager for Honey and Co. The site of White's Mill was renamed by J.C. Port as "Lion Mill" to carry on the Honey Company's trade mark, a rampant lion, from his South Australian mills.[146]  Of Richard Honey the local newspaper reported a speech he made at a mill-town banquet at Lion Mill


"He stated that before he took over the sawmill all the people with whom he conversed about it advised him not to take it, that everyone who had gone into similar ventures had lost their cash and come out of it very much wiser and poorer men."[147]


The mill was fully reconstructed in 1889 by Port a little further West than the original mill and, operating for Honey and Co until 1892, supplied timber to their yards in Fremantle and Perth. The railway siding itself was not shifted and renamed as "Lion Mill" until 1892.[148]


This mill had the best planing machines in Australia, and produced floorboards either tongue and groove or in Richard Honey's own patented pattern that did not require nailing, known as "the Pavodilus". These floorboards were used in places in W.A. as afar as the Albany Skating Rink (using 10 000 feet) and the Greenough Flour Mill. The mill had already supplied the top quality timbers needed in the construction of the St George's Cathedral, Mr Harper's "Woodbridge" in Guildford, the Fremantle Town Hall, the W.A. Bank in Perth and the Union Bank in Fremantle.  Now timber was also being shipped to South Australia on the sailing barque Mary Blair to fulfil many of Richard Honey's other interstate construction contracts.[149]


For the 50 hands employed by the mill, plus the attendant blacksmiths and carpenters of the town, James Port, a popular and energetic manager, as Mill Superintendent, ensured that their comforts were supplied, with :

"a large store supplying fresh bread daily and other necessities are kept in stock... and ...

a large and commodious room fitted with a stage.  This room serves a variety of purposes being used as a literary institute, a schoolroom, a concert hall, and a ballroom.  Between 40 and 50 children of the neighbourhood assemble there three times a week for instruction."[150]


With the Lion Mills of Perth running smoothly James Cornish Port assumed control of the new Bunbury Mill.  On 1st December 1891 a parting banquet was given for him, and he was presented with

"a handsomely illuminated address, signed by the representatives of the men of the Eastern Railway, Perth and Port mills, and conveying the cordial good wishes and esteem of the men employed at the mills ... together with a beautifully chased gold watch and Albert chain."[151]


The planned "Honey and Co" expansion was cut short by the untimely death of Richard Honey in Woodville, South Australia on 24th November 1892, at the age of just 51 years.[152]  J.C. Port purchased most of his interests in Western Australia, however two former employees from the Fremantle timber yard days bought Lion Mill. William C Forsyth was the manager of Fremantle timber yards and Richard Hummerston had taken over as manager of the Lion Mill site when Port left to establish the Bunbury timber yard.  Forsyth retained the Fremantle site and together with Hummerston gained control of the Lion Mill timber yards.[153]


Richard Ernest Hummerston was Richard Honey's nephew. He was born in Stoney Creek, Victoria in 1867, the son of Michael Hummerston and Charlotte Honey, who was elder sister to Richard.[154] He was probably brought across from South Australia around 1887 to learn the Timber trade and add family support to Richard Honey's interest, as his own children were still too young.  Other young Hummerston nephews, brothers Charles Francis and Henry Augustus (Harry), later appear to take up the licences of the Kalamunda Hotel in 1902, the Helena Vale Hotel before 1898, Midland Hotel by 1902, and building the Mundaring Hotel by 1902.[155]  Michael Hummerston himself appeared around 1902 in the Chidlows Well Hotel.[156]


In partnership, William Forsyth and Richard Hummerston expanded with the gold boom and developed with timber yards at Geraldton, Coolgardie, Fremantle and Perth.  Forsyth was a builder who advertised ...

"Wooden and iron houses, stores and hotels, framed ready for erection and packed for shipment."[157]


In 1897 Forsyth built his own mill at Chidlows and sold his half of Lion Mill share to Oscar L. Bernard,  a timber merchant of Northam,  and who was also another earlier member of "Honey and Co". Hummerston and Bernard continued at Lion Mill, winning a large 3200 load export contract for paving timbers in England in 1897-1898. This however was their peak because the Midland Railway Company grants (Keane's) had all the millable timber reserves locked up, so they ran out of millable timber.[158]


The main mill at Lion Mill was forced to close down in 1898, but Richard Hummerston continued alone in the location with a small new sawmill to supply most of the firewood for Perth until eventually he too closed down late in 1904.  During this time Hummerston in partnership with E.D. Forsyth of Chidlows built the Lion Mill Hotel.  The Lion Mill town site was declared on 10th March 1899, even though there was not a large mill operating at that time. Two new mills "Dalgarup" and "Dyke's" began nearby, so the township remained viable through 1905.[159]


With the Government release of new Midland Railway Company Land early in 1905, Robert Bunning negotiated for the Lion Mill site and Bunning's first timber  company  "Perth Jarrah Mills" was floated on 7th December 1905, with headquarters at Lion Mill. Hummerston's land was purchased by 5th January 1906. The new mill built by Robert and Arthur Bunning employed 50 men and had an output of 60 000 super feet per week.[160]


Bunnings operated in the location of Lion Mill from 1905 until 1923. Name changes to the town were suggested as early as 1910. "Hillcrest" was suggested in 1923 but not accepted. The town of Lion Mill was renamed "Mount Helena" on 28th March 1924 as the result of a competition, but this township lost its growth potential when the Roads Board Offices, established on 1906, were transferred to the nearby Mundaring Township in 1925.[161]  The mill site is now occupied by the Eastern Hills Senior High School.



                        PORT AND CO


When Richard Honey died on 24 November 1892 in South Australia, J.C. Port bought out his interests in Western Australia and operated under his own name for five years. During this time he bought the mill at Donnybrook from Teesdale Smith and Joseph Timms after they had completed a contract for a section of the Bridgetown railway. Port also acquired in 1896 the mill at Argyle, north of Donnybrook.[162]


In about 1898, to meet the demands of financing his further expansion, J.C. Port transferred his interests to a company formed under the title the "Jarrah Timber and Wood Paving Co". This company was formed in London to take over the many small mills in Australia that were producing the high grade hardwoods for railways, construction and furniture around the world.[163]


It met large sleeper contracts for the Western Australian, South Australian, Ceylon and Natal Governments. It provided the piles and sawn timber for the Fremantle Harbour Works, and it supplied the Jarrah blocks for the paving of Hay Street and other streets of Perth.[164]


This "Jarrah Timber and Wood Paving Corporation" had a declared capital of 250,000 ($500 000) and also 50,000 acres of leasehold on the Collie River. Later it gained another 30,000 acres of freehold land (from Sir John Downer, a lawyer of Adelaide). J.C. Port was made the General Manager until August 1902 when this company amalgamated to become "Millars Karri and Jarrah Forests Limited".[165]


Port retired from active saw-milling in 1902, preferring to rebuild the yards at Maylands.[166]  He was presented with a lovely silver tray by the employees of the Collie Mills on 6th March 1903 (and this is now in the possession of his grand daughter).[167]  However by 1909, operating as "Port, Honey and Co", he had again started up another two mills, in partnership with Lionel Richard Honey, Richard's eldest son.[168]


The first was in 1905 in Heidleberg (South Kalamunda) in the Jarrah forests to the East of the new Mundaring Weir. The other mill was at Pindalup (in the Worsley region inland from Pinjarra). He later sold out most of his timber reserve there to the Railways Department for their mill at Dwellingup.  Pindalup continued to operate until 1935.  This "Port, Honey and Co" mill was the only one operating for many years between Jarrahdale and Karridale.[169]  


The "Port, Honey and Co" reverted back to just "Port and Co" later in the 1920's.[170]  when the partnership with L.R. Honey was disolved.[171]  I am uncertain whether this was before Lionel moved to Bunbury around 1913, or the Bunbury yard was part of the partnership.


James Cornish Port was recognised as one of the new breed of merchants in a growing city of Perth.

"One of the most impressive homes in Adelaide Terrace belonged to James Cornish Port.  Called "Collieville", it had a morning room, drawing room, kitchen, pantry, scullery, and office on the ground floor, with a ballroom and  dining room.  Upstairs were five bedrooms, a bathroom and a tower.  Behind his own house he built a row of terrace houses, Bicester Terrace."[172]


"Collieville" was built in 1903 on the block "D3" in the East Ward of Perth, the block now designated as No.180 Adelaide Tce.  This land was purchased on 25th July 1898 for 3 500 from Alexander P. Matheson (who then used these funds to purchase all the land of Applecross). The family of J.C. Port occupied the "Collieville" house on No.180,  and built the row of terrace houses behind both blocks No.180 and No.184 (fronting Hay Street).[173]


During the industrial troubles of 1912 to 1914 between the Timber Worker's Union and the Timber Merchant's Association over pay rises and lock-outs, James Port was forced to close down his yards in May 1914.  Matters became progressively worse and with the beginning of World War I in August, and the 1914 drought taking effect,  the industry went into recession with most mills shutting down or cutting back.[174]


Around 1921 "Collieville" on block No.180 was sold to the Salvation Army and the Port family moved into the house further down the street on block No.184 bought from the Sundercombes, which dated back to before 1903 and was built for the first Governor's Aide.  In about 1939 J.C. Port sold his property  in Railway Parade, Maylands;  one portion to the Kauri Timber Company, including the timber, and the other portion to R.E. Arnold, sheet-metal fabricators.[175]


James Cornish Port died in August 1942.  His only daughter, Lily, had married 12th March 1919 to Percy Herbert Bailey and they lived there until selling in August 1962, when they moved to Applecross. The terraced houses behind were retained by the Port family until sold.[176] 






Chapter Four




                    LIONEL RICHARD HONEY


In 1893, after his father's death and then aged about 16 years, Richard Honey's eldest son arrived from South Australia. Lionel Richard Honey was born on the 13th June 1877 in Woodville, South Australia, the second child of  Richard Honey and  Mary Anne Reynolds.[177] Being so young when Richard died, Lionel was not able to immediately assume command of his father's timber empire throughout Australia, so he just made his own way as best he could, being assisted by James Port to learn the trade.


He was married on 16th July 1900 at Guildford to Roma Braddock, the daughter of the schoolmaster who opened the first school at Lion Mill in 1892.[178]  Lionel Richard Honey took over around 1896 as the manager of the "Jarrah Timber Co" of Forrest Street, Kalgoorlie, a subsidiary of "Lion Mills S.A.", his late father's company and now part of J.C. Port's growing timber empire.[179]  His first child James was born about 1901 (in Kalgoorlie?) but died of haemophilia.[180]


When the amalgamation took over the company in 1902, Lionel Honey stayed in Kalgoorlie as manager of the "Jarrah Timber and Woodpaving Corp Ltd", Varden Street, Picadilly, Kalgoorlie from 1902 until 1904.[181]  Their second child, Roma Mary was born in Maylands on 2nd December 1904 so presumably the family had moved there during the year.[182] The company called "Honey and Co", Timber Merchant was established in Maylands in this year.


In 1905 he took over as manager of the Lion Mill timber operations (then a Bunnings Mill?), however this appears to be for only a short term as his postal address from 1906 until 1910 was Railway Parade, Maylands.[183] His third child Dudley Richard was born at Lion Mill on 18th January 1907, where the Braddock family was probably still in residence.[184]


The 1906 address was given as "Honey and Co - Lion Timber Yards" Railway Pde Maylands so it is assumed he was still closely associated with J.C. Port, who had "retired" to manage his own Maylands timber yard in 1902.  However in 1909 the company's postal address became "Port, Honey and Co Ltd, Maylands and Mundaring Weir."[185]   Lionel's fourth child Robert Henry was born on 4th  February 1910 in Maylands, and the fifth was Lionel Charles born 31st March 1911 at Claremont. The youngest, John Lisle was born on 12th July 1917 in Bunbury.[186]


With James Cornish Port and Lionel Richard Honey operating together, they opened a saw mill in Kalamunda, immediately below an excellent spring of fresh water at a well known picnic spot called "The Dell" on the Kalamunda Weir Road.  The site of this mill is now private property, but was originally bought from Mr Buckingham who opened this mill at Heidleberg, (now South Kalamunda) and after one removal sold it to "L.R. Honey and Co" around 1906. The exact date they began operating it is not known - probably in 1906 - however it was working in 1907 and closed in 1913 when the timber cut out.[187]


"An old man at Kalamunda described to me how his father worked at the mill, hauling the logs to a point overlooking the Mundaring Weir. They were then chuted down to the water, to be floated to the other side where the railhead to Perth was located. This railhead was the line built for the construction of the Mundaring Weir, and the route is now just bush again."

                                                       Mrs Heather Honey, 1983.[188]


In 1908, J.C. Port approached Mr William G. Quicke, a local civil engineer, to survey a switch-back timber tramline from the "Port, Honey and Co" mill in Kalamunda to the Mundaring Weir railhead. This railhead was the end of the Weir Line built by the P.W.D. Railway Construction Branch from Mundaring down to the dam site by June 1898, used in the Weir's construction and then handed over to the W.A.G.R. in 1909.  In due course Quicke surveyed the wooden tramline and supervised its construction.[189]


"The idea was to survey a route in such a way that the loaded trolleys, once started from the top of the first rise after leaving the mill, would coast down under their own momentum,  up and down the hills to the Weir.

The mill was situated in a shallow depression and four horses in line pulled the loaded trolleys to the crest of the first rise ... As the trolleys began to roll downhill the towline was cast off and the trolleys, gathering speed, were carried over the next rise and along the plateau at the top with just sufficient headway to start them down the long, winding descent into the river valley.  Two men rode with the trolleys and they had to avoid going too fast while at the same time allowing sufficient speed to carry them over the next rise.  Down the very steep descent into the valley the noise of the trolleys and the squeal of brakes could be heard for miles around,  and on occasions during wet weather when the brakes failed to grip sufficiently, speeds of up to 50 miles an hour (80 Km /hr) were reached by the time the trolleys crossed Farrels Creek at the bottom of the long hill.  Finally, the trolleys coasted along a gentle decline, crossed the river on the original traffic bridge and drew up by the railhead at the Number 1. Pumping Station. There was a sharp incline over the last few chains and a winch was used to haul the trolleys up to the level of the railway trucks at the top of the rise.  A man followed the trolleys with the horses and by the time he reached the Weir the timber had been off-loaded into W.A.G.R. railway trucks and the empty trolleys were hauled back to the mill, while the timber went to Port, Honey & Co's timber yards at Maylands.[190]


The wooden rails were used with some success but there were difficulties with wearing, especially on the bends, and with coping with the high speeds.  When the mill was eventually closed in 1913 the wooden rails and sleepers were ripped up and fed into the boiler furnaces of the Number 1. Pumping Station.[191]  The Weir Line has all but disappeared back into the bush too.


Lionel Richard Honey moved to Spencer Street, Bunbury in about 1913 to manage the Bunbury Timber Yard, and for many years occupied a position of prominance in the growing town. He took on the A.M.P. agence while working for  Millars Timber and later conducted the Vacuum Oil Company depot when it was first started in the town.  He was a Justice of the Peace for the district for over 30 years, and served on the Bunbury Town Council for two terms,  being at one time the Council Treasurer.  He died there in the Bunbury "St John of God's Hospital", on 23rd October 1959, aged 82 years.[192]




Another of the sons of Richard Honey made his life in Western Australia independently of the "Honey and Co" influences, though at one time he also found himself timber cutting in the Jarrah forests of the State.


Being the eighth child of Richard HONEY and Mary Ann REYNOLDS of South Australia, Dudley was born on the 8th February 1890 at "Lionville", Woodville, the family's residence at the terminus of Woodville Road in Adelaide, S.A. and he was educated in S.A. finishing his schooling at St Peter's College in 1908.[193]


He toured England for two years from 1909 to 1910, and on returning landed in Western Australia in 1911, where he spent twelve months gaining farm experience at Grass Valley, near Northam. Dudley Honey purchased the "Castlerock Farm" in Meckering in 1912,[194] and in 1913 put in the record crop acreage for the Meckering District, but the 1914 drought sent him broke.[195]


On 4th November 1914 he married Florence Muriel Combley, third child of Fred Combley and Caroline (nee Weatherall) of Meckering. at "St Peter's Church" in Meckering.[196] Florrie was born on 25th June 1894 at York, WA. Their subsequent family of five children was :-

1.   Peter Richard Honey born 27th December 1915 at Northam

2.   David Dudley (Beaver) Honey born 27th December 1917

3.   Fred Honey born 30th May 1921 at North Perth

4.   Mary Honey born 30th June 1925 at Kirup

5.   Margaret Honey born 3rd May 1928 at North Perth.[197]


Dudley joined the A.I.F. in 1915, serving in the Tenth Light Horse during all their campaigns, and on returning from the war he took up a soldier settlement block at Kirrup, and joined the many others who tried to carve a farm out of the massive timber forests of the South West. He also butchered for the local timber mill, by purchasing herds of sheep in the wheat belt and droving (trucking? ) them to Kirup.[198]


In 1927 the family moved to a stock and station agency in Kulin and Dudley commenced business as a John Darling & Son Agent (pre wheatboard), Elder Smith and Goldsborough Mort Agent, International Harvester Dealer, and a Commercial Union Assurance Agent. After two years of cramped living with five children in the small apartments attached to the agency, they moved to 80 Johnson Street. Times were as hard for the farm machinery dealers as the farmers in the depression because no one could afford to pay their debts.[199]


In 1945, when the youngest daughter was seventeen, his wife Florrie left him and went as a shearers' cook in the North of Western Australia. When her brother Charlie Combley died and left her a comfortable bequest, Florrie Honey settled in a piece of land on the foreshore of Cottesloe, but was soon forced out when developers made her an offer she couldn’t refuse. She eventually settled on a few acres in Seaforth Avenue beside the railway in Kelmscott, growing fruit trees and watching the Suburbia erode into the pastures all around her. She died on 30th September 1970 at the age of 76 years.[200]


Dudley Honey died in the Mount Hospital in St George's Terrace, Perth on 5th October 1955, aged 65 years, of war injury induced illness.[201]


The next generation of Honeys of South Australia also has a representative that migrated to Western Australia. The fourth child of Roy Reynolds Honey (Richard's seventh offspring) was Mary Honey, who married another South Australian, Dudley Graham Hanson, and they moved to Western Australia to raise a family of three daughters.[202]







[1]               Alan Honey - article Cornwall FHS Journal No. 77 of  September 1995, page 8

[2]               Diana Honey - notes obtained from registers in Cornwall

[3]               ibid

[4]               Diana Honey - copied from Parish Register

[5]               Diana Honey - notes obtained locally in Cornwall

[6]               Ethel Honey’s Birthday Book dated 12 Jul 1885

[7]               Birth Certifitificate #18/1841 Lizart, Cornwall

[8]               Joan St Clair Rumball - from her notes from Rhoda Charlotte Jonas

[9]               Diana Honey - copied from Parish Register

[10]             Ennis Dobson (nee Twyford) - letter dated 27 Jan 1981

[11]             Ennis Dobson (nee Twyford) - letter dated 27 Jan 1981

[12]             “SA. Register” 5 May 1847 ‘Shipping’ - arrival of ‘Theresa’  on 3rd May 1847

[13]             ibid

[14]             “Oberserver” 3 Dec 1892, page 30c, R. Honey’s Obituary

[15]             Death Certificate - Mary Honey #17/1851 Adelaide, SA.

[16]             Jill Statton, “B.I.S.A. 1836-1885”

[17]             South Australian Maritime Museum computer printout

[18]             Indexes to South Australian births, deaths and marriages

[19]             Joan St Clair Rumball - family notes

[20]             Jill Statton,  “B.I.S.A. 1836-1885”

[21]             ibid

[22]             Valda von Bertouch - family notes

[23]             family notes - Valda von Bertouch, Joan St Clair Rumball

[24]             family notes - Joan St Clair Rumball, Valda von Bertouch

[25]             ibid

[26]             ibid

[27]             ibid

[28]             ibid

[29]             family notes - Valda von Bertouch and Joan St Clair Rumball

[30]             Marriage Certificate #1157/1848 John White and Kezia Honey

[31]             “Advertiser” 4 Jul 1871, death notice Kezia White

[32]             Indexes to South Australian births, deaths and marriages

[33]             Indexes to South Australian births, deaths and marriages

[34]             booklet “David Bower - M.P. 200 years of Settlement in Australia

[35]             Aldine History of South Australia

[36]             “Copper to Gold”

[37]             Heather Honey - family notes

[38]             “Copper to Gold”

[39]             booklet “Port Adelaide, 125th Anniversary” details sent by Valda Bertouch

[40]             family notes - Valda von Bertouch and Joan St Clair Rumball

[41]             “The Register” 2 Aug 1856 death notice of Miss Hannah BOWER

[42]             family notes - Valda von Bertouch and Joan St Clair Rumball

[43]             Cemetery Inscriptions - Cheltenham, by Joan Rumball

[44]             ibid

[45]             Cemetery Inscription - Cheltenham, by Bertouch / Rumball

[46]             Death Certificate - Thomas Honey #197/1888 NSW.

[47]             “Inquirer” 9 Jun 1886 and 9 Mar 1887 Shipping - T Honey

[48]             “Advertiser” 29 Jun 1888 - death notices Thomas Honey

[49]             Death Certificate - Thomas Honey #197/1888 NSW.

[50]             Cemetery Inscriptions - Cheltenham, by Bertouch / Rumball

[51]             Death Certificate - Mary Honey #17/1851 Adelaide, SA.

[52]             Index to South Australian Marriages #9/180

[53]             Jill Statton,  “B.I.S.A. 1836-1885”

[54]             David Bower, M.P. biography edited by George Redmonds, Old West Riding Books, 1987.

[55]             Denise M. Thomas “Hummerston Ancestry” July 1990

[56]             Jill Statton, “B.I.S.A. 1836-1885”

[57]             Victorian Birth Indexes #19782/1859 Geelong, Vic.

[58]             Victorian Birth Indexes #11851/1861 Carlton, Vic.

[59]             Denise M. Thomas “Hummerston Ancestry” July 1990

[60]             ibid

[61]             Victorian Birth Indexes - #16726/1865 Melbourne, Vic.

[62]             SA. Marriage Indexes - #142/1231 SA.

[63]             Denise M. Thomas “Hummerston Ancestry” July 1990

[64]             Denise M. Thomas “Hummerston Ancestry” July 1990

[65]             Victorian Birth Indexes - #19075/1869 Stony Creek, Vic.

[66]             Victorian Birth Indexes - #5757/1872 Steiglitz, Vic.

[67]             WA. Marriage Indexes - #1533/1897 Swan, WA.

[68]             Victorian Death Indexes - #12403/1876

[69]             SA. Marriage Indexes - #132/419 SA.

[70]             Denise M Thomas  “Hummerston Ancestry” July 1990

[71]             WA. Post Office Directories

[72]             Diana Honey – notes obtained locally in Cornwall.

[73]             ibid

[74]             Register 5/5/1847 Shipping - arrival of "Theresa" 3/5/1847      

[75]             The Observer 3 Dec 1892, page 30c, R Honey’s obituary

[76]             Death Certificate – Mary HONEY #17/1851 Adelaide

[77]             Aldine History of South Australia

[78]             Marriage Certificate – Richard HONEY and Mary Ann REYNOLDS

[79]             Family notes

[80]             Baptisms from St Margaret’s on microfilm – (from Joan Rumball)

[81]             Notes from Mrs Ennis Twyford (nee Honey) and also Sam Twyford (son)

[82]             Notes from Roma Braddock (nee Honey), Elizabeth Kernot & family

[83]             Notes from Joy Kuring (nee HONEY)

[84]             Family notes.

[85]             Notes from Nell Begg (nee Honey), Jean Tolmer (nee Honey) and family.

[86]             Notes from Ruth Stone (nee Honey), Roger Honey and family.

[87]             Notes from Joy Kuring (nee Honey).

[88]             Ibid

[89]             Notes from Mary Pearson (nee Honey), Fred Honey and family.

[90]             Notes from Joy Kuring (nee Honey).

[91]             West Australian 25 Nov 1892, page 4e, R. Honey - Obituary.

[92]             ibid 22/2/1890 page 1e, advert for R. Honey timbers.

[93]             Aldine, History of South Australia.

[94]             Register Thursday 5/3/1875

[95]             West Australian 25 Nov 1892, page 4e, R. Honey - Obituary.

[96]             The Inquirer for these dates Shipping Intelligence.

[97]             West Australian 25 Nov 1892, page 4e, R. Honey - Obituary.

[98]             ibid 22/2/1890 page 1e, advert for R. Honey timbers.

[99]             Aldine, History of South Australia.

[100]            Notes from Joy Kuring (nee Honey).

[101]            Inquirer 19 May 1886 Shipping Intelligence

[102]            Observer 21 Jul 1923 Experiences of Capt. Richardson.

[103]            West Australian 25 Nov 1892 page 4e R. Honey - Obituary

[104]            South Australian Directory 1889 page 888

[105]            West Australian 25 Nov 1892 page 4e R. Honey - Obituary

[106]            Notes from Joy Kuring (nee Honey).

[107]            Observer 3 Dec 1892, page 30c

[108]            West Australian 25 Nov 1892 page 4e R. Honey - Obituary

[109]            Cemetery Inscriptions - Cheltenham


[110]            W. Thomas Mills and Men detailing J.C. Port's story  

[111]            Fay Bailey letter to me 7/6/1990

[112]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[113]            ibid

[114]            ibid

[115]            Observer Adelaide, 3/12/1892 page 30c, R. Honey's obituary

[116]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[117]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[118]            Inquirer Perth  23/5/1883 and The West Australian Perth 29/5/1883 Shipping Intelligence.

[119]            Inquirer Perth 4/8/1886 and 11/8/1886 Shipping - J.C.Port

[120]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[121]            Fay Bailey phonecall Aug 1979 - grand-daughter of J.C.Port.

[122]            Fay Bailey letter 12/6/1989

[123]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[124]            Battye Library - composite photograph Ref #9491B/1

[125]            Telephone Exchange System List of subscribers, Perth,      February 1888

[126]            Inquirer Perth 19/5/1886 and 16/6/1886 R. Honey

[127]            ibid 16/2/1887 and 28/4/1887 Shipping - R. Honey

[128]            ibid 9/6/1886 and 9/3/1887 Shipping - T. Honey

[129]            ibid 12/10/1887 Shipping - R. Honey

[130]            Victorian Express Geraldton 2/5/1887

[131]            ibid 19/11/1887 Shipping - R. Honey

[132]            ibid Oct 1887

[133]            Inquirer Perth  7/12/1887 Shipping - R. Honey

[134]            Heather Honey - notes in my possession

[135]            Fremantle Register of Shipping

[136]            Ian Elliot Mundaring, A History of the Shire p.81

[137]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[138]            Ian Elliot Mundaring, A History of the Shire pps 77-78

[139]            unpublished family papers "The Whites of Illawarra"

[140]            Ian Elliot Mundaring, A History of the Shire pps 77-78

[141]            ibid  page 39

[142]            ibid pps 78-80

[143]            ibid

[144]            Jenny Mills The Timber People p.40

[145]            Ian Elliot Mundaring, A History of the Shire p.81

[146]            ibid

[147]            Jenny Mills The Timber People p.40

[148]            Ian Elliot Mundaring, A History of the Shire

[149]            West Australian 11/10/1890 page 2b

[150]            West Australian 11/10/1890 page 2b

[151]            ibid 2/12/1891 page 4c

[152]            Observer Adelaide, 3/12/1892 page 30c

[153]            Ian Elliot Mundaring, A History of the Shire

[154]            Indexes to Births, Victoria.

[155]            W.A. Post Office Directories

[156]            Denise M Thomas "Hummerston Ancestory" 1990 family notes

[157]            Jenny Mills The Timber People p.40

[158]            Jenny Mills The Timber People p.41

[159]            Ian Elliot Mundaring, A History of the Shire pps 84-88

[160]            Jenny Mills The Timber People p.41

[161]            Ian Elliot Mundaring, A History of the Shire

[162]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[163]            T. Stannage The People of Perth p.230

[164]            ibid

[165]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[166]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[167]            Fay Bailey letter to me 12/6/1989

[168]            W.A. Post Office Directories

[169]            W. Thomas Mills and Men

[170]            Fay Bailey letter to me 7/6/1990

[171]            W.A. Post Office Directories

[172]            T. Stannage The People of Perth p.230

[173]            Fay Bailey letters to me 12/6/1989 and 6/9/1989

[174]            Jenny Mills The Timber People pps 53-57

[175]            Fay Bailey letters to me 12/6/1989, 6/9/1989 and 7/6/1990

[176]            Fay Bailey letters to me 12/6/1989, 6/9/1989 and 7/6/1990

[177]            Family Notes

[178]            Family Notes

[179]            W.A. Post Office Directories

[180]            Family Notes

[181]            W.A. Post Office Directories

[182]            Family Notes

[183]            W.A. Post Office Directories

[184]            Family Notes

[185]            W.A. Post Office Directories

[186]            Family Notes

[187]            Edward Quicke The Helena Story p.82

[188]            Heather Honey - notes in my possession

[189]            Edward Quicke The Helena Story p.82

[190]            ibid p.84

[191]            ibid

[192]            South West Times 29/10/1959 page 32a L.R.Honey's obituary

[193]            J.S. Battye Cyclopedia of Western Australians p.591

[194]            ibid p.592

[195]            Family Notes

[196]            Marriage Certificate D. Honey & F. Combley, Meckering. W.A.

[197]            Family Notes

[198]            ibid

[199]            ibid

[200]            Family Notes

[201]            Death Certificate - Dudley Honey 1386/21 Perth, W.A.

[202]            Family Notes