do something! help a kid with World Vision!

TITLE: The dog: a short story of a night in Turin.

TITOLO: Il cane: storia breve di una notte torinese.

WRITTEN BY: Lorenzo Matteoli

DATE: July 2001



Lorenzo Matteoli

It was a night in June, 1991 or maybe 1992, very late into the evening. The summer was warm and I had just come home after a particularly tough session of the council. Matteo and Federica, my son and daughter, had gone to the seaside and the house on the hill was immersed in the noises of the night; the rustle of wind in the trees, chirruping crickets, croaking frogs and the barking of faraway dogs.
From below, behind the barrier of ash trees, could be heard the deep, filtered groan of Turin. The city, heard from the hill, makes a continuous low rumble that never stops - stronger during the day and weaker at night - vaguely menacing or ambiguously reassuring. I am here, I work, I do not stop.
Beyond the city, the mountains of the Susa Valley can be seen in the moonlight. High above the Musine, the clear sky of the summer alps. Lower, the fog of Turin. The sky from the hill, above the blanket of smog, is clear and everything seems normal behind the heavy wooden gate that I had built 20 years before. Two cords of timber, dividing physically and ideally. Out is out - in is in.
Inside the cool house, the smell is familiar. Slightly damp walls, old wooden furniture, books, carpets and an unlit fireplace. Familiar and pleasant. The smell of a house is like the culture that lives within it. It lingers always and is recognisable every time one comes back after a few days or a few weeks of absence. The scent changes when you light up the fire, when you cook, when you wash the floor with soapsuds, or when people visit with their own different smells. But after any disturbance, the scent reverts to the familiar one - the sum of all the smells of family life and household activities. This is why I say that it is like culture. The basic texture does not radically change. It does so only for short periods, as a consequence of events, encounters, conversations and then it reverts to its complex original fabric, adding to it the last acquisition, changing only slightly the basic cultural background.
Pleasantly reassured by the familiar scent, I decided that I did not yet wish to sleep and that the moment deserved specific appreciation. A little personal liturgy to celebrate normality.
A splinter of parmesan cheese and a bottle of Augusto Emanuel’s Barbera. The Barbera from Tonengo, slightly sparkling, that Augusto bottled for me when the moon was rising, treating the bottles with white Moscato before filling them. Every bottle evoked a specific emotion and the pouring of the first glass was always a sensual experience.
The wine glugged from the bottle into a quick smile of small bubbles. The clear and transparent red colour shone in the glass. I drank it sensing its sour and sweet affection. With cheese and bread, it offered moments of intense physical and emotional pleasure.
I was looking through the window beyond Turin, to the mountains and the sky, listening to the wind through the ash grove and to the crickets and the frogs. I was thinking of nothing in particular, only pleasantly aware of the lightness of the moment, surrendering to a comfortable tiredness and to the vagaries of my mind. I felt moments passing that I knew to be magic. A rare event and I felt as if the time was physically flowing between my fingers.
The growling is ferocious, frantic and desperate. The dog is a large, black beast that I can barely see in the darkness of the ash grove behind the house. He has awoken me suddenly from my reverie. It appears that he is tied up and is trying desperately to free himself. In the darkness, I cannot understand the reason for all the fuss. Perhaps he is wounded. When my eyes become accustomed to the darkness, I can make out in the moonlight that the dog is tangled with a long chain around one of the trees and, in trying to break free, has worsened his predicament and is almost strangling himself. The dog looks at me and growls menacingly, fearing new danger. He cannot understand what cruel hand is strangling him; is very scared and gets ready to defend himself from further aggression. Surprisingly, I think of the basic rules and instructions read long ago in some boy scout manual and I know that it is not advisable to put my hands around his neck in the darkness and attempt to loosen the chain. This gesture could be misinterpreted with serious consequences for my fingers. However, the situation demands action. I sit on the grass, close to the dog but at a reasonably safe distance and very calmly explain his predicament to him and what I would attempt to do if he would show some cooperation. I clearly spell out the words in as reassuring a way as possible and I keep talking for a while. I am very surprised by the almost immediate positive response to my gentle efforts. The dog stops growling and sits down close to the tree so that the chain around his neck is relaxed a little. After a few minutes of further quiet talking, he lies down and rolls onto his back, a very clear canine signal. We have established a relationship of trust.
At this point there is no reason to hesitate further. I extend the back of my hand towards his nose, to make clear my peaceful intentions and am rewarded, not without some emotion, by a gentle lick. I scratch his belly and behind his ears to formally consolidate our mutual trust. I find the catch on the chain and release it. As soon as he feels free, the dog jumps to his feet and with a few agile bounds, disappears into the darkness of the night. He disregards my calls, insensitive to the appeal of my whistling, ignoring my invitation to stay for a while and have something to eat, to talk some more and deepen this new friendship.
Nothing. Nothing at all. I feel bad. I was expecting perhaps a little gratitude.
I return to the house, grumbling about the lack of good manners of man and beast and I resume my interrupted evening celebration, my thoughts wandering. The dog .... where had he come from. Where was he going?
Who had chained him? The poor animal.


You know when you have the feeling that somebody is looking at you, but there’s nobody there. When my solitary feast is finished and with that vague feeling, I go out onto the small verandah in front of my kitchen for a last look at the June sky. At the end of the small courtyard, in the shadows, the dog is sitting there. He is looking at me. Again, I invite him to join me and he shyly approaches. One step, two steps and he sits again, still looking at me. After a few seconds he stands up and, with an almost imperceptible wag of his tail, turns around and goes towards the valley below. He turns again, at the end of the lawn, a last glance and then he disappears into the darkness.

I definitely need another glass of Barbera.


Lorenzo Matteoli

Era una sera del mese di luglio, credo, o forse giugno, del 1991 o del 1992. Molto tardi. L’estate era calda ed ero rientrato a casa dopo una seduta del Consiglio Comunale particolarmente infuocata. Federica, mia figlia, e Matteo, suo figlio, erano al mare e la casa sulla collina era immersa nei rumori della notte, lo struscio del vento fra gli alberi, i grilli, le rane, l’abbaiare lontano di cani e, in basso, dietro la barriera di frassini, il rombo sordo e attenuato di Torino. La città, sentita dalla collina, fa un rumore continuo, scuro, più forte durante il giorno, attenuato di notte, che non smette mai, vagamente minaccioso, oppure ambiguamente rassicurante: sono qua, lavoro, non mi fermo. Oltre la città, le montagne della Val di Susa, illuminate dalla luna. Alto sopra il Musinè il cielo pulito dell’estate subalpina, più in basso lo smog torinese. Il cielo dalla collina, sopra il materasso di smog, era limpido e tutto sembrava normale dietro il cancello di legno pesante che avevo costruito vent’anni prima: tre quintali di portale che chiudeva fisicamente, e idealmente. Fuori era fuori e dentro era dentro.
Nella casa fresca l’odore conosciuto: di muri un po’ umidi, di legno vecchio, di libri, di tappeti e di camino spento. Gradevole e familiare.
L’odore di una casa è come la cultura che la abita: quello che resta sempre e che riconosci ogni volta che torni dopo essere stato via qualche giorno o qualche settimana. L’odore cambia quando si accende il fuoco, o quando si cucina oppure quando si lavano i pavimenti con il sapone, oppure quando viene tanta gente con tanti odori diversi, ma finito l’accidente, l’odore torna ad essere quello di sempre, un po’ la somma di tutti gli odori della vita di famiglia e di casa. Per quello dico che è come la cultura: non cambia radicalmente la trama fondamentale, cambia per brevi periodi in funzione di letture, incontri, conversazioni e poi torna al sedimento complessivo costante o quasi costante, aggiungendo a questo l’ultima acquisizione che cambia, ma di poco, lo strato di fondo.
Piacevolmente rassicurato dall’odore regolare, decisi che non avevo voglia di andare subito a dormire e che il momento meritava un apprezzamento particolare.
Una piccola liturgia personale per celebrare la normalità.
Una scheggia di Grana e una bottiglia di Barbera di Augusto Emanuel. Barbera di Tonengo leggermente frizzante che Augusto imbottigliava con la luna crescente dopo avere passato nelle bottiglie due dita di moscato bianco. Ogni bottiglia era una emozione particolare e versare il primo bicchiere era un piacere sensuale: il vino chiocciava dalla bottiglia, fioriva in un sorriso rapido di bollicine. Il colore rosso, limpido e trasparente barbagliava nel bicchiere. Si lasciava bere con affetto dolcemente aspro e, con il Grana e un pezzo di pane, regalava momenti di intenso piacere fisico e mentale.
Guardavo oltre la finestra verso Torino, verso le montagne, il cielo, e ascoltavo il vento tra i frassini, le rane, i grilli e non pensavo a quasi nulla, solo piacevolmente assorto nella levità del momento, nella stanchezza fisica, nel vagabondaggio mentale.
Lasciavo passare momenti che sapevo essere magici, di rara occasione e sentivo il tempo, fisicamente, scorrere fra le mie dita.
Il ringhiare è feroce, affannoso e disperato. Il cane è un grosso bestione nero che distinguo a mala pena nel buio del boschetto di frassini dietro casa. Mi ha richiamato bruscamente, dalla momentanea malia, con latrati rabbiosi. Sembra legato e si dibatte violentemente, ma nel buio non riesco a capire la ragione della agitazione: potrebbe essere ferito. Quando gli occhi si abituano alla luce della luna vedo che il cane è rimasto impigliato con una lunga catena intorno a un frassino, cercando di liberarsi girando intorno all’albero aveva stretto ancora di più la catena che ora lo stava praticamente strozzando. Il cane mi guarda e continua a ringhiare minaccioso di fronte al nuovo pericolo: non riesce a capire quale mano malvagia lo stia strangolando, ha paura e si dispone alla difesa di fronte all’aggressione.
Rapidamente ripenso alla manualistica (le dieci regole base su come comportarsi con cani arrabbiati e feroci) e alle istruzioni lette forse in qualche guida per boy scout oppure nel Reader’s Digest e decido che non è il caso di allungare le mani al buio per cercare di sciogliere la catena. Il gesto potrebbe essere interpretato male con conseguente, fulmineo, sbranamento di mano. D’altra parte la situazione richiede intervento. Mi siedo sull’erba vicino al cane, a una distanza ragionevolmente sicura, e comincio a spiegargli con calma che cosa gli è successo e che cosa avrei cercato di fare se lui avesse prestato un minimo di collaborazione. Cerco di scandire bene le parole, specialmente quelle rassicuranti e, con voce pacata, continuo a parlare per qualche minuto.
Rimango stupito dell’effetto quasi immediato del mio tranquillo discorrere: il cane smette di ringhiare, si acquatta vicino al tronco e la tensione della catena attorno al collo si allenta. Dopo qualche minuto di colloquio si sdraia completamente e si volta sulla schiena. Un segnale chiarissimo nel linguaggio canino: avevamo stabilito un rapporto e lui mi stava dando completa fiducia. A quel punto non c’era più ragione di esitare: allungo la mano dal basso con il dorso verso il suo naso perché le mie intenzioni pacifiche siano chiare e ricevo, non senza un po’ di emozione, una bella leccata. Dopo qualche grattata di pancia e di orecchie, per consolidare formalmente il rapporto, trovo il moschettone che lega il suo collare alla catena e lo apro.
Appena si sente libero il cane scatta in piedi e, in pochi balzi agili, sparisce nel buio della notte collinare, sordo ai miei richiami, insensibile alla lusinga dei miei fischi, ignorando il mio invito a fermarsi e mangiare qualcosa. Parlare ancora un po’, approfondire la conoscenza appena fatta. Niente. Ci rimango male: un minimo di gratitudine me l’aspettavo. Rientro in casa, borbottando sulla decadenza delle buone maniere di uomini e bestie, e riprendo la piccola celebrazione notturna interrotta, percorrendo altri pensieri: il cane… chissà da dove era scappato, chissà dove sarebbe andato. Chissà chi lo teneva alla catena … ingrato animalaccio.


Sai, quando hai l’impressione che qualcuno ti guardi, ma non c’é nessuno intorno? Dopo un po’ di minuti la mia cerimonia è finita e, con quella vaga sensazione, esco nel portichetto davanti alla cucina, per un ultimo sguardo alla notte di giugno. Al margine del piccolo cortile, fuori dal cono di luce della finestra, seduto, c’è il cane. Mi guarda. Lo invito di nuovo e lui si avvicina, timidamente, la coda bassa, un passo, due, si siede e mi guarda ancora. Dopo qualche secondo si alza, si gira e si avvia verso la valle.
Si volta di nuovo al margine del prato, un ultimo sguardo e poi sparisce nel buio.
Decisamente ci vuole un altro bicchiere di Barbera.