YOU CAN PARTICIPATE IN
ACTION YOU CAN TAKE:- ( The following webpages will open in new windows)
- Sign the People's Treaty to ban cluster bombs.
- Help spread the word and try to generate publicity. Write a letter
to the newspaper editor, or an opinion/editorial to your newspaper to
express your concern about antipersonnel landmines. See a letter
sample here. Appear on a radio or television program to discuss
the landmine issues.
- Organise an event to support the Ban Treaty, such as a "Mine
Action day'. Or a 'Walk to Ban Landmines' such as English
landmine survivor Chris
Moon did. Make a 'shoe pyramid'. Start a poetry, art or essay competition
with winners details published in the newspapers. Hold a fashion show
or musical concert. Use your imagination.
- Design and produce your own advocacy campaigning tools eg posters, buttons, postcards
or brochures. Ideas and Tools here
- Join the Adopt-A-Minefield
project which raises funds for minefield clearance and victim assistance.
- If you live in the United States, you can write a short letter to
the President, Secretary of Defence, First Lady, the Secretary of State
or find your Congressional representative to let them know how you feel
about antipersonnel landmines, and the refusal by the U.S. to sign the
1997 Mine Ban Treaty. Contact the US
Campaign To Ban Landmines for more information on how to endorse
the ban. Info on how to contact Members of the United States House
of Representatives and Senate.
- If you live in Europe, you can write a short letter to your leaders.
address here). European
leaders letter sample here.
- Give landmine awareness presentations at local schools, religious
groups, civic organisation or other associations' meetings.
- Write a letter to the CEO of the US
companies or European
company addresses here) that refuse to stop producing antipersonnel
landmines and/or their components. Boycott products and services of
these companies and subsidiaries who manufacture landmine technologies.
letter sample here.
- Create a landmine related website. Include a Ban
Landmine Button on your website.
- BE CREATIVE! There are many more ways to educate and mobilise the
public by using local resources and talent.
DONATE TO NGOS WORK:-
- Support the International Campaign to Ban Landmines Donate Now so they may continue their invaluable work.
- Support Landmine
Action by keeping up with their updates.
- Purchase Landmine Monitor publications which contain detailed information 121 countries and other areas with respect to ban policy, mine action, mine/ERW risk education, casualties, victim assistance and international support for mine action.
- See the ICBL list of network list of national campaigners which need your support.
URGE YOUR GOVERNMENT:-
- To sign and/or ratify the 'Mine Ban Treaty'. Check here
to see if you government has signed and/or ratified.
- To destroy all landmine stockpiles before the treaty deadline.
- To support international and bilateral programs for humanitarian mine
action programs, including socio - economic reintegration of mine survivors.
SUPPORT THE INTERNATIONAL
CAMPAIGN TO BAN LANDMINES:-
- Become a campaign member. Join your local International Campaign
to Ban Landmines (ICBL) branch, or if there is none, start one!
- Endorse the call for a Ban by signing the 'People's Treaty'.
- Keep track of ICBL's Action