6 September 2003
I've been meaning to write this postcard since my trip to Melbourne last June for Southern Hibearnation 2003: Geddidindaya, a gathering of bears from all over Australia and overseas.
For those of you unaware of the bear movement, a bear could be loosely defined as a gay man who doesn't fit the stereotype. But since I don't like defining people, I've included some photos from some of the bear events that descended upon an unsuspecting City of Melbourne:
- Bearcadia: The Secret Chocoholics Tour: Seventy to eighty beefy gay men led around the Melbourne CBD in search of chocolate by Melbourne Architect Dale Kruse, much to the surprise of startled shoppers and CBD workers. Although chocolate was the focus, we also saw some beautiful architecture.
- Opening Party @ The Comic's Lounge: A great night of entertainment, Colin Salter was brilliant with his Peter Allen tribute
- Don't Feed the Bears: A visit to the Melbourne Zoo upon a chartered tram. Some very interesting wildlife!
- Mr Australasia Bear Contest: Contestants vying for the coveted title of Mr Australasia Bear 2003
- Bear Island Bash:A relaxed Sunday arvo bbq lunch on Herring Island on the Yarra
This year was my second Hibearnation and it seems to have slipped into my calendar as a permanent fixture. I'll definitely be back next year.
Cheers, Rob ;Ð
© Rob Morgan 2003