> Avon Descent Index
The Avon Descent Miscellaneous Info'
Power dinghies start first followed shortly afterwards by paddle craft. Grids of 8 at 30 second intervals. Top competitors are seeded within their class for Day One start. They start first. All other paddlers are allocated grids randomly within their class.
Photo, left- paddlers wait their turn for the start at Northam (R. Khorshid)
Paddlers start first by several hours at Cobbler Pool to be clear of the valley for the power dinghies. Grids of 4 at 30 second intervals. All competitors are seeded according to their finish time on Day One. Fastest first.
Photo, below - Cobbler Pool startline (Diane Bramley)
You will need a support person/crew to provide the following:
- transport to & from start and finish lines each day.
- extra food & drink whilst paddling
- spare/emergency gear whilst paddling
- dry clothing, warm/cold drink & food afterwards
Top competitive paddlers stop infrequently. Novices may require several stops.
Photo, below- Support crews queue for the bus at Emu Falls (Diane Bramley)
click here for Support Crew Handy Hints
- Both Northam & Cobbler Pool startlines are within a couple of hours drive from most suburbs of Perth and many paddlers return home overnight.
- Overnight camping is available at Cobbler Pool, the finish line
- For hotel/motel/ B& B/ self-contained cottage/chalet book early. Northam (08) 9622 2100 and Toodyay (08) 9574 2435 visitor information centres can organise this kind of accomodation.
Dates for 2006
- 21st May - entries open
- Friday, 7th July - entries close (late entry fees apply after this date)
- Sunday, 23rd July - compulsory scrutineering of craft & gear at Hind's Reserve, Bayswater, 9am to 1pm.
- Saturday & Sunday, 29th July & Sunday, 30th July - official practice days in the Day One ti-trees.
- Friday, 4th August - registration at Northam & delivery of craft to the start line.
- 5th & 6th August - The Event!
- Competitors must pass a Paddle Competency test
- Craft and paddling gear are scrutineered before the race to make sure they comply with safety requirements.
- Known trouble spots have trained rescue personnel on hand.
- Medical assistance/transport is at hand
> Avon Descent Index
The contents of this site are copyright© 2000 - 06, Robyn Khorshid.
All Rights Reserved.