Roo Gully - 2006


2006 sure had its fair share of ups and downs, but with the help of many locals,
and volunteers and students from around the world,
we also achieved so much.

'Roo Gully 2006' is our way of publicly thanking all those who helped us.
It will also show our many supporters how their money has been spent,
and give them an update on the animals they have fallen in love with.

We hope it will also give everyone a true insight into life at Roo Gully!

We are in the process of posting 4 pages in total.
April to June is the second, with January to March already posted,
Please check back in because we hope to post the others soon.

To everyone who shared our special wildlife sanctuary in 2006
we hope this brings back special memories, most of them good.
To everyone else we hope you ENJOY!!


April got off to a very good start.

Because Chloe was getting older Jules, our vet, was looking out for a suitable pup
to join us at Roo Gully.

Chloe sleeps

On 1st April young Jess arrived.

She was from the local dog pound and Jules had been asked to euthanase her,
until Jess gave him one of her endearing looks - he then remembered we wanted a pup.

Jess arives
Sadly Jess had not been treated well
before coming to us, so she was very shy and wary.
She might not have been the prettiest puppy
but she had such a wonderful nature,
and everyone soon fell in love with her.
Jess pup
Jess Carol computer
Because of her background
it took a few weeks for Jess to feel secure.
But thankfully she soon started to settle
into her new life at Roo Gully.
Jess basket
Chloe Jess couch
Even our dear old Chloe tolerated the new arrival
who dared to encroach onto HER couch,
because she obviously knew Jess needed her too.
Jess was not the only newcomer in April.
Irene, a new Dutch volunteer, arrived the same day.
And of course quickly fell in love
with everyone at Roo Gully, especially Megan.
Irene and Megan
Meg and Bron
Megan was now out with mob, day and night,
and doing very well under Bron's care.
A week later a student from Milan in Italy arrived.
Her name was Valentina.
As her cheeky smile suggests
Val sure livened up Roo Gully.

Val photos

And being very social she soon livened up Boyup Brook too!

But Val was also a serious student,
and she enjoyed working with the animals.

Val feeds tawny
Although like all volunteers
she found it could be quite an ordeal
feeding the Tawnies.
Very soon young Jess was finding out
she was sharing her home with some rather
strange long legged and long tailed creatures.
Jess watch roos
Jess look
Which proved to be very interesting.

Some of the roos found our puppy interesting too.
Roly was very quick to assert his dominance,
and Jess was wisely submissive.

Jess Roly
Roly warns Jess

It is never easy for a young dog to accept life in a wildlife sanctuary,
but Jules had promised us that if Jess did not work out
he would definitely find a good home for her.

Thankfully Jess was working out.
Jess pose


May was a month of mixed emotions,
and some disappointments.

Once again volunteers were coming and going.
Irene left, Martina returned after a long road journey across the Nullabor Plain,
and Harold and Tom arrived.

There was also another very special new arrival - Wilma.

She was a Brushtail bettong, locally known as a woylie,
and her arrival put us under pressure.
Wilma arrives
The bettong enclosure had not been used since our old Betty went bush
and it needed urgent repairs to keep Wilma safe from feral cats.
Everyone had said it was impossible to wire the roof,
but the team said we could do and we did.
Tom the Terminator
'Terminator' Tom manned the drill.
And we soon had a timber surround in place
to support the wire mesh.
Bettong work
Harold tired
It was hard work, but within 10 days,
the roof was finished.
All we had to do then was move Wilma into her new home.
But this was not going to be easy
For her safety Wilma had been housed
in the bandicoot 'half way release' enclosure.
Carol looks inside
And we discovered she had made her nest just out of reach.
Someone had to get through the small doorway.
The only person thin enough was Val.
Val enclosure
Wilma moved
Within a few minutes Wilma was on the move.
And she loved her new enclosure.
Wilma look

There was great excitement and a lot of nerves
as we began the 2nd week in May.

Diaries sign
Our TV series, 'The Roo Gully Diaries' was due to air,
and it was wonderful to see the signs in town.
But it was a huge disappointment when we actually went to air in Western Australia.
The live programme before our 1st episode (the government opposition's reply to the budget)
overran and our opening scenes and theme music were cut.
Thankfully, because there was a 2 hour time difference,
this did not happen in the eastern states.
We had to accept that this is the world of television,
and even though the moment seemed lost to us,
we still toasted our success.

Sadly, we encountered a few more problems and disappointment as the weeks went by,
but despite it all the series was a success for Roo Gully,
and this success definitely increased our workload.

We coped with all the newspaper, magazine and radio interviews.

Carol ABC radio
Carol radio interview
But admit we struggled at times to reply to the many e mails we received.
And to answer the hundreds of phone calls.
Carol phones

It took a few weeks to catch up, but it was all worth it,
because we made many new friends and gained lots of new supporters
for our wildlife sanctuary and for others.

And little Ella never missed an episode!

Ella TV
Of course, while the series was being aired, work continued on the property,
and in May we made a grisly discovery by the creek outside the fenced area.
It was the skeleton
of a very large kangaroo.

It wasn't Katie who went missing in 2000, because it was a male,
and did not have an amputated toe.

It was also too big to have been Sonny, Sevvy or Lipa, other roos who had gone bush,
which just left one roo who had been a big part of our lives
and who we had not seen for many years - Oliver.

He was the father of many of our early joeys.

And the hole in side of the skull
matched the white scar Oliver had on his face.
There was one other notable male abscence down with mob.

Having completed his quest Smokey was back on the other side of the fence.
No one knows how he managed to get out,
but he had, and it was certainly more peaceful.
Randy and Smokey
The weather was surprisingly pleasant for autumn 'down under'.
A great time for just being with the roos.
Tom with roos
Harold and Megan
In May, Roo Gully was also experiencing a Dutch 'invasion'.
Mariska joined the team mid month.
And then 2 very lively teenagers arrived.
Their names were Nyree and CoCo.
Nyree and Coco

So the international tally was 1 Australian, 1 German, 1 Italian and 4 Dutch.

And the numbers in the Wallaby enclosure increased too.
Tina gave birth to our very first home grown Western Brush wallaby.
We were thrilled.

Tina clean joey

June, which became one of our busiest months, is the start of the Australian winter.
This meant we had to get the logs chopped for the fires
to keep us warm inside the house during the colder nights.
Carol chain saw
Carol had purchased her own chain saw,
and was learning how to use it.
Which worried everyone
and they were wise to stand well back!
Vols watch
Jess watch
And young Jess looked worried too
when Carol used the wood splitter.

But surprisingly the only casualty of the day was Mariska,
and she was wielding the axe herself.

Unfortunately a piece of wood ricchocheted and cut her right eyebrow.

She was taken to the local hospital,
and came home with a few sterostrips.

No doubt Mariska will have small scar to remind her of her time at Roo Gully,
but thankfully she was our only casualty of 2006.
Bonfire group
And she still had a smile on her face
when the wood chopping group posed
for this picture.
We had started June with a full house,
but we were about to once again see a 'changing of the guard'.
Harold, Tom and Martina, who had all helped us achieve a lot during their time with us,
were moving on, and enjoyed a farewell party - complete with cake.
May group shot

But we were not short handed for long,
because there were some very special people coming to Roo Gully.

Samantha had visited Roo Gully in 2005 with her mother, Roxy.
They have kangaroos and other macropods in the USA
at their Roo Ranch home in Deadwood, South Dakota.
This time Samantha was returning with her partner, Jarred,
who was carrying out his university placement with us.

Ella and Jarred
And, as we only found out a few weeks before their stay,
they also had a 'little joey' of their own on the way!
It was great to have another male student,
and Jarred was soon very busy
mending our ageing equipment.
Jarred barrow

With winter beginning we were busy building a new log cabin for the wallabies.
This was a huge project for us because none of us had any real building skills.

So there was lots of thinking, and much debate.

Hut talk
Hut work
And after lots of hard work we reckon
we ended up building a terrific wallaby log cabin.
Wallaby hut
June was becoming a hard month physically.
Jess Sam couch Which left some of us exhausted.
Luckily young Jess was always ready to
sleep off an honest day's work too!
Jess Nyree Couch
Val left us mid June.
Sadie Val kitchen
But we were sure she took many memories with her,
and left many memories behind in Boyup Brook.

June was also a very special month for Roo Gully
because Ben was returning.

He was a student in 2004 and helped Carol through the worst period of her life
when her husband walked out of their 34 year marriage to live with a former volunteer.

Carol and Ben formed a strong friendship
during his 9 months at Roo Gully
and so it was a happy reunion.
Ben Carol
Lisa and Ben
It was also very special to meet Lisa,
his new partner.
Roo Gully was definitely a different experience for Lisa.
JT was the perfect gentleman - for once!
JT and Lisa
Lisa strokes Megan
And of course Megan was cute.
Lisa even got used to Sadie coming into the house.
Sadie Lisa
JT Lia and Meeka
But she got a little worried when, after a week,
JT and Meeka decided Lisa needed
some real kangaroo interaction!
Ben, of course, was used to interacting with roos
after all he and Roly had become very good sparring mates a couple of years ago.
And Roly sure sure remembered Ben!
Roly Ben Box
Roly Ben play





Ben Roly Roly Ben Meeka
Roos trough Mariska Sadie pouch checked
Sadie Jarred kiss Sadie Mariska


Roo Gully Diaries' ends airing in Australia - lots of visitors

Little creek bridges built

Jarred dig creek Ben Jarred ford work
Jarred cement bridge Ben Jarred ford
Jarred Bricks Wood team
Jarred Mariska CoCo Sam Lisa
  Wood sorting
Jarred Ben and Lisa Jarred Ben Bridge span
Ford finished Snake problems
Bron window Jarred Bron lawn
Bron Lisa Bron Meg sleep


Woylie search and rescue

Water probs - storms, frost followed by drought

Frost pics needed - burst pipe

Roos fed  
Woylie search Woylie search team
Jarred Carol Roos frost
Frosty Morning Splodge winter

Tree in soak

Ben Tree Soak Ben Jarred tree
Jarred rake tank Tank soak
Damaged tank Jarred Ben remove branch
ben Jarred soak tank Ben in soak


Jen arrives - Sam Jarred leave


Jen Lisa mozzie bites Working team
Jen and Ella Jen cake
  Lisa Jen ute
Jen prepares chick Jen pudding
Sadie Jen CoCo tractor

Update Dogs

Chloe warn Jess Chloe Jess couch  


Jade opens her eyes

Heidi's joey peeping out of pouch

Pics Jade and Heidi and Ebony






June remarkably warm and no water in the creek

Ben and Lisa water little creek - leave


Ben aviary Ben checks tank
JT Nyree Lisa Bridge
Lisa Creek Nyree and CoCo
Creek flow ford Bonfire





On behalf of everyone at Roo Gully we thank you for caring

Roo Gully 2006 © Roo Gully 2007