LOCATION: Madhya Pradesh AREA: 2,077.18 km² VILLAGES: xx POPULATION: 96,596 (1941)RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 3,75,000 (1938) DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Bundela SEAT: Ajaigarh ACCESSION: 1st January 1950
AGENCY: Bundelkhand Agency 1802 - 1948 PRIVY PURSE: Rs 74,700FAMILY MOTTO:Randhir Ajai Wir (The Steadfast in War is an Unconquered Hero)
PRESENT RULER: HH Sawai Maharaja AJAY RAJ SINGH Sahib Bahadur, 10th and present Maharaja of Ajaigarh since 1984.
born 19th June 1971, educated at Marshall's School, Dehra Dun (I.C.S.E.), at Mayo College Ajmer (C.B.S.E.) and at St. Xavier's College, Bombay (History Hons.); married 1stly, Bhanwarbai Sahiba Yogeshwari Kumari [HH Maharani Saheba Yogeshwari Kumari of Ajaigarh], daughter of Maharajkumar Shiladitya Singh of Narsinghgarh, and his wife, Maharajkumarani Madhulika Kumari, married 2ndly, 5th July 2011 in Lucknow, HH Maharani Saheba Sheeba Singh, daughter of Lal Saheb Pradeep Narayan Singh of Darigaon, Bihar, and his wife, Annapurna Devi, and has issue, twins, a son and a daughter.
- Raja Bahadur Saheb Mrityunjaya Singh, born 12th September 2015.
- Rajju Raja Saheba Mrinalika Singh, born 12th September 2015.
- Raja GUMAN SINGH, 1st Raja of Ajaigarh 1765/1792, formerly Raja of Banda, he was the nephew of Raja Pahar Singh of Jaitpur, and was succeeded by his own nephew; married and had issue. He died 1792.
- Kunwar Madhukar Shah
- Raja Madho Singh (qv)
- Raja Mahipat Singh (qv)
Nawab ALI BAHADUR, Raja of Ajaigarh 1793/1802 (usurper)
Nawab SHAMSHER BAHADUR, Raja of Ajaigarh 1802/1804 (usurper)
Raja LAKSHMAN DADA, Raja of Ajaigarh 1804/1807 (deposed) (usurper), the British forced him to surrender Ajaigarh Fort, and the state was returned fully to Raja Bakht Singh.
- Raja Vijay Singh (qv)
- HH Maharaja Sawai Sir Ranjor Singhji Sahib Bahadur (by a secondary wife) (qv)
INTERREGNUM 1855/1858, Ajaigarh escheated to the British Government due to failure of heirs, but in 1858 after the Mutiny, the late Raja's mother was allowed to adopt Kanwar Ranjor Singh, who then succeeded to the state.
REGENT The Rajmata of Ajaigarh 1858/1868
- HH Sawai Maharaja Bhopal Singh Sahib Bahadur (qv)
- Diwan Senapati Sawai Maharajkumar Jaipal Singh [aka Majhle Raja], born in June 1874 (#2 p.115); married Rani Lachhman Kunwar, daughter of the Diwan Maharaj Singh, the Dhandera Thakur of Pipronia in Gwalior State, and had issue.
- Sawai Rajkumar (name unknown) Singh, born 189x,
died before 1907.
- Sawai Rajkumar Lakshman Singh, born in September 1899 (#2 p.115), married and had issue, two sons and one daughter.
- Kunwar Ganga Singh
- "Chhote Raja"
- Sawai Rajkumar Mahipal Singh, married and had issue, one son.
- Sawai Rajkumari Gaur Kunwar, married and had issue.
- Sawai Maharaj Pakshapal Singh Ju Deo, born in April 1877 (#2 p.115), Dewan (Prime Minister) of Ajaigarh; married and had issue.
- Sawai Maharaj Pranatpal Singh, married and had issue.
- Sawai Maharaj Sheo Pratap Singh, married and had issue, one son and one daughter.
- Col. Sawai Maharaj Sahib Deshpal Singh Ju Deo, born 24th June 1914, educated at Daly College, Indore (1921/1928), at the Prince of Wales Royal Indian Military College, Dehradun (1928/1931), and completed his majors in L.L.M. from Bombay University; worked as Deputy Political Officer during British services, served as Dewan of Ajaigarh and also was appointed Dewan for revamp of Chhatarpur and Baraundha State's under the British Raj; President of the All Indian Kshatriya Maha Sabha (Hightest Royal Assembly Association of Princely States of India) at Delhi; a keen sportsman, Captain of the Western Coal Mines cricket team; married Rani Gayatri Devi of Basaratpur Estate, Uttar Pradesh, and had issue.
- Sawai Rajkumar Ajayveer Singh Ju Deo, educated at Madhav Engineering College (B.Eng.); married Rajkumar Rani Ajaya (Bundela), and has issue.
- Rajkumari Vijya Bundela, married Kunwar Vikram Singh.
- Rajkumari Harshita Bundela
- Sawai Rajkumar Ashit Varn Singh Bundela B.Sc., born 7th May 1953 at Ajaigarh, married Rajkumar Rani Anjana (Bundela) (née Rajniesh Singh), daughter of Sri Kunwar Ram Singh Deo of Barai, Uttar Pradesh, and his wife, Kunwarani Usha Kumari (née Hirendra Kumari), daughter of Sri Rao Hira Singh Ju Deo of Karahia and niece of HH Maharaja Sir Sawant Singhji of Bijawar, and has issue.
- Rajkumar Hraday Shah Bundela, born 26th
November 1981; a philanthropist by nature and
President and Royal Guardian of Prince Hraday
Shah Foundation; married 12th December 2008,
Rajkumar Rani Padmini Kumari, daughter of
Kunwar Pushpendra Singh Parmar of Daharra
(Family of Jagir Jharkua, Panna), Bundelkhand,
and his wife, Kunwarani Mithlesh Kumari, and
has issue, one daughter.
- Kumari Sahiba Mohana, born 9th September 2009.
- Rajkumari Sanyogita Bundela, born 20th March 1986, married 8th March 2012, Rajkumar Yudhbir Singh Judeo, son of Rajkumar Shri Dilip Singh Ju Deo of Jashpur.
- Sawai Rajkumar Anil Kumar Singh, married Rajkumar Rani Arpana Raje, daughter of Rao Gulab Singh Ju Dev of Jharkua, and has issue.
- Kumari Vashundera Bundela, born 23rd September 19xx.
- Kunwar Madhvendra Singh Bundela, born 13th November 1998.
- Flt.-Lt. (ret'd.) Sawai Rajkumar Neel Burn Singh Bundela, born November 1964, formerly an officer in the Indian Airforce, married Rajkumar Rani Renu Singh, daughter of Thakur Sahib Sambhu Saran Singh from Rai-Bareli, and has issue.
- Kunwar Jaiditya Singh Bundela, born 10th September 1999.
- Sawai Rajkumar Jayant Singh Bundela, married Rajkumar Rani Jaya Singh, daughter of Kunwar Mangal Singh of Barai, and has issue.
- Sawai Rajkumari Man Kunwar, married and had issue.
- Sawai Rajkumari Kirat Kunwar, married and had issue.
- Sawai Rajkumari Rajju Raja, she married Rao Raja Lala Pajan Singh of Brijpura.
- HH Maharaja Sawai Punya Pratap Singh Sahib Bahadur (qv)
- Rani Indira Devi, born 1908, married 1924, Raja Ajai
Varma of Pawayan,
and had issue.
- Rani Savitri Devi, born 1910, married 1924, Raja Shriniwas Prasad Singh of Jagdishpur, and had issue. She died 1958.
- Rani Girija Devi, born 1912, married 1926, Raja Bajrang Bahadur Singh of Bhadri, Lieutenant Governor of Himachal Pradesh 1955/1963.
- HH Maharaja Sawai Devendra Vijaya Singh Sahib Bahadur (qv)
- Sawai Nati Raja Bhupendra Vijay Singh, born 1916, educated at Daly College, Indore; adopted on 8th January 1934 by Rao Arimardan Singh of Jigni and succeeded there as Rao Bhupendra Vijay Singh of Jigni.
- Raja Bahadur Kaushalendra Vikram Singhji, Yuvaraj Saheb of Ajaigarh, born 1934, married Rani Hansa Devi (now Rajmata Hansa Devi of Ajaigarh), daughter of Lt. HH Maharaja Shri Sir Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavsinhji of Bhavnagar, and had issue, four children. He died 1982.
- Rajkumari Mrinalini Devi born 1960.
- Rajkumari Shivranjini Devi born 1965.
- HH Sawai Maharaja Ajay Raj Singh Sahib Bahadur
- Maharaj Prithviraj Singh, born 1978.
- Maharaj Mahipendra Singh, born 1935, married Rani Prabha Kumari, daughter of Maharajkumar Chandikeshwar Saran Singh Deo, and his wife, Maharajkumar Rani Saheb Bhupeswari Kumari of Surguja, and has issue.
- Rajkumar Shailendra Singh, born 1969, married Rajkumari Keerti Malini Devi, daughter of Sirdar Rama Chandra Raj Urs (adopted son of Rajkumari Leelavati and Sirdar Basava Raj Urs of Mysore), and Maharajkumari Gayatri Devi Yavaru, eldest daughter of HH Maharaja Shri Sir Jaya Chamaraja Wadiyar Bahadur of Mysore.
- Kunwar Varunendra Singh, born 2005.
- Maharaj Surendra Singh, born 1940, married and has issue.
- Rajkumar Tarunendra Singh, born 1971, married
Baiji Lal Shobal De, daughter of Kunwar Kirti
Vardhan Singh of Khandela-Junior,
and his wife, Kunwarani Rudrani Kumari, and has
issue, one daughter.
- Kumari Nandini Singh.