|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The state was founded in 1765 by Kunwar Guman Singh, a
great grandson of Maharajadhiraja Chhatrasal of Mahewa
(see Orchha). The
Maharaja, in 1893, was allowed to maintain a military
force of 97 cavalry, 544 infantry and 13 guns. The rulers
- Raja GUMAN SINGH,
1st Raja of Ajaigarh 1765/1792, formerly Raja of
Banda, he was the nephew of Raja Pahar Singh of
Jaitpur, and was succeeded by his own nephew; married
and had issue. He died 1792.
Raja BAKHT SINGH,
2nd Raja of Ajaigarh 1792/1793 (deposed) and
1807/1837, Raja of Banda 1792/1798; he was driven from
his territory by Nawab Ali Bahadur, who allowed the
Raja an allowance of 2 rupees daily, he was granted a
pension of 3,000Rs p.m., by the British when they
occupied Bundelkhand in 1803, they later restored him
to some of his original territory in 1807, and granted
him a sanad,
and later the same year the usurper was made to hand
over the fort of Ajaigarh; married and had issue. He
died 21st June 1837.
- Raja Madho Singh (qv)
- Raja Mahipat Singh (qv)
Nawab ALI BAHADUR, Raja of Ajaigarh 1793/1802 (usurper)
Nawab SHAMSHER BAHADUR, Raja of Ajaigarh 1802/1804
Raja LAKSHMAN DADA, Raja of Ajaigarh 1804/1807 (deposed)
(usurper), the British forced him to surrender Ajaigarh
Fort, and the state was returned fully to Raja Bakht
Raja MADHO SINGH,
3rd Raja of Ajaigarh 1837/1849, died 1849.
Raja MAHIPAT SINGH,
4th Raja of Ajaigarh 1849/1853, married and had issue,
as well as secondary issue. He died 22nd June 1853.
- Raja Vijay Singh (qv)
- HH Maharaja Sawai Sir Ranjor Singhji Sahib Bahadur
(by a secondary wife) (qv)
Raja VIJAY SINGH,
5th Raja of Ajaigarh 1853/1855, he died during his
minority on 12th September 1855 and the state
escheated to the British Government.
INTERREGNUM 1855/1858, Ajaigarh escheated to the British
Government, but in 1858 after the Mutiny, the late
Raja's mother was allowed to adopt Kanwar Ranjor Singh,
who the succeeded to the state.
REGENT The Rajmata of Ajaigarh 1858/1868
HH Sawai Maharaja
Sir RANJOR SINGH Sahib Bahadur K.C.I.E.,
C.S.I., 6th Raja of Ajaigarh 1859/1919, born 29th
September 1848 (#1)
or 1849 (#2 p.115), he
succeeded to the gadi
on 9th September 1859 (#2
p.115), the title of Sawai Maharaja was
recognized on 1st January 1877 at the Delhi Durbar on
the occasion of the proclamation of Her Majesty as
Empress of India, K.C.I.E. [cr.1897], married and had
issue. He died 1919.
- HH Sawai Maharaja Bhopal Singh Sahib Bahadur (qv)
- Diwan Senapati Sawai Maharajkumar Jaipal Singh [aka Majhle
Raja], born in June 1874 (#2
p.115); married Rani Lachhman Kunwar,
daughter of the Diwan Maharaj Singh, the Dhandera
Thakur of Pipronia in Gwalior State, and had issue.
- Sawai Rajkumar (name unknown) Singh, born 189x,
died before 1907.
- Sawai Rajkumar Lakshman Singh, born in September
1899 (#2 p.115),
married and had issue, two sons and one daughter.
- Kunwar Ganga Singh
- "Chhote Raja"
- Sawai Rajkumar Mahipal Singh, married and had
issue, one son.
- Sawai Rajkumari Gaur Kunwar, married and had
- Sawai Maharaj Pakshapal Singh Ju Deo, born in
April 1877 (#2 p.115),
Dewan (Prime Minister) of Ajaigarh; married and had
- Sawai Maharaj Pranatpal Singh, married and had
- Sawai Maharaj Sheo Pratap Singh, married and had
issue, one son and one daughter.
- Col. Sawai Maharaj Sahib Deshpal Singh Ju Deo,
born 24th June 1914, educated at Daly College,
Indore (1921/1928), at the Prince of Wales Royal
Indian Military College, Dehradun (1928/1931), and
completed his majors in L.L.M. from Bombay
University; worked as Deputy Political Officer
during British services, served as Dewan of
Ajaigarh and also was appointed Dewan for revamp
of Chhatarpur and Baraundha State's under the
British Raj; President of the All Indian Kshatriya
Maha Sabha (Hightest Royal Assembly Association of
Princely States of India) at Delhi; a keen
sportsman, Captain of the Western Coal Mines
cricket team; married Rani Gayatri Devi of
Basaratpur Estate, Uttar Pradesh, and had issue.
- Sawai Rajkumar Ajayveer Singh Ju Deo, educated
at Madhav Engineering College (B.Eng.); married
Rajkumar Rani Ajaya (Bundela), and has issue.
- Rajkumari Vijya Bundela, married Kunwar
- Rajkumari Harshita Bundela
- Sawai Rajkumar Ashit Varn Singh Bundela B.Sc.,
born 7th May 1953 at Ajaigarh, married Rajkumar
Rani Anjana (Bundela) (née Rajniesh Singh),
daughter of Sri Kunwar Ram Singh Deo of Barai,
Uttar Pradesh, and his wife, Kunwarani Usha
Kumari (née Hirendra Kumari), daughter of Sri
Rao Hira Singh Ju Deo of Karahia and niece of HH
Maharaja Sir Sawant Singhji of Bijawar, and has
- Rajkumar Hraday Shah Bundela, born 26th
November 1981; a philanthropist by nature and
President and Royal Guardian of Prince Hraday
Shah Foundation; married 12th December 2008,
Rajkumar Rani Padmini Kumari, daughter of
Kunwar Pushpendra Singh Parmar of Daharra
(Family of Jagir Jharkua, Panna), Bundelkhand,
and his wife, Kunwarani Mithlesh Kumari, and
has issue, one daughter.
- Kumari Sahiba Mohana, born 9th September
- Rajkumari Sanyogita Bundela, born 20th March
1986, married 8th March 2012, Rajkumar Yudhbir
Singh Judeo, son of Rajkumar Shri Dilip Singh
Ju Deo of Jashpur.
- Sawai Rajkumar Anil Kumar Singh, married
Rajkumar Rani Arpana Raje, daughter of Rao Gulab
Singh Ju Dev of Jharkua, and has issue.
- Kumari Vashundera Bundela, born 23rd
- Kunwar Madhvendra Singh Bundela, born 13th
- Flt.-Lt. (ret'd.) Sawai Rajkumar Neel Burn
Singh Bundela, born November 1964, formerly an
officer in the Indian Airforce, married Rajkumar
Rani Renu Singh, daughter of Thakur Sahib Sambhu
Saran Singh from Rai-Bareli, and has issue.
- Kunwar Jaiditya Singh Bundela, born 10th
- Sawai Rajkumar Jayant Singh Bundela, married
Rajkumar Rani Jaya Singh, daughter of Kunwar
Mangal Singh of Barai, and has issue.
- Sawai Rajkumari Man Kunwar, married and had
- Sawai Rajkumari Kirat Kunwar, married and had
HH Sawai Maharaja
BHOPAL SINGH Sahib Bahadur K.C.I.E., 7th Raja
of Ajaigarh 1919/1942, born 13th November 1866 (#3 p.10), educated at Rajkumar
College, Nowgong; he succeeded his father to the gaddi on 7th June
1919 (#3 p.10); married
1882, HH Maharani Beni Kunwar, daughter of Musahib
Ranjore Singh Dandhera of Chauka in Charkhari State,
and had issue, an only son. He died 1942.
- HH Maharaja Sawai Punya Pratap Singh Sahib Bahadur
HH Sawai Maharaja
PUNYA PRATAP SINGH Sahib Bahadur, 8th Raja of
Ajaigarh 1942/1958, born in August 1884 (#2 p.115), he succeeded his
father to the gaddi
in 1942; married 1907, HH Maharani Rukmini Devi,
daughter of HH Swasti Sir Raja Kirti Shah of Tehri Garhwal, and
had issue, two sons and three daughters. He died 1958.
- Rani Indira Devi, born 1908, married Raja Ajai
Varma of Pawayan,
and had issue.
- Rani Savitri Devi, born 1910, married 1924, Raja
Shriniwas Prasad Singh of Jagdishpur, and
had issue. She died 1958.
- Rani Girija Devi, born 1912, married 1926, Raja
Bajrang Bahadur Singh of Bhadri,
Lieutenant Governor of Himachal Pradesh 1955/1963.
- HH Maharaja Sawai Devendra Vijaya Singh Sahib
- Rajkumar Bhupendra Vijay Singh, born 1916, adopted
by Rao Arimardan Singh of Jigni and succeeded there
as Rao Bhupendra Vijay Singh of Jigni.
HH Sawai Maharaja
DEVENDRA VIJAYA SINGH Sahib Bahadur, 9th Raja
of Ajaigarh 1958/1984, born 1913, married 1931,
Kunwari Shri Sushil Kunwarba, the eldest daughter of
HH Maharaja Sahib Shri Indrasinhji Pratapsinhji of Bansda,and had issue. He
- Raja Bahadur Kaushalendra Vikram Singhji, Yuvaraj
Saheb of Ajaigarh, born 1934, married Rani Hansa
Devi (now Rajmata Hansa Devi of Ajaigarh), daughter
of Lt. HH Maharaja Shri Sir Krishnakumarsinhji
Bhavsinhji of Bhavnagar,
and had issue, four children. He died 1982.
- Rajkumari Mrinalini Devi born 1960.
- Rajkumari Shivranjini Devi born 1965.
- HH Sawai Maharaja Ajay Raj Singh Sahib Bahadur
- Maharaj Prithviraj Singh, born 1978.
- Maharaj Mahipendra Singh, born 1935, married Rani
Prabha Kumari, daughter of Maharajkumar
Chandikeshwar Saran Singh Deo, and his wife,
Maharajkumar Rani Saheb Bhupeswari Kumari of Surguja, and has
- Rajkumar Shailendra Singh, born 1969, married
Rajkumari Keerti Malini Devi, daughter of Sirdar
Rama Chandra Raj Urs (adopted son of Rajkumari
Leelavati and Sirdar Basava Raj Urs of Mysore),
and Maharajkumari Gayatri Devi Yavaru, eldest
daughter of HH Maharaja Shri Sir Jaya Chamaraja
Wadiyar Bahadur of Mysore.
- Kunwar Varunendra Singh, born 2005.
- Maharaj Surendra Singh, born 1940, married and has
- Rajkumar Tarunendra Singh, born 1971, married
Baiji Lal Shobal De, daughter of Kunwar Kirti
Vardhan Singh of Khandela-Junior,
and his wife, Kunwarani Rudrani Kumari, and has
issue, one daughter.
HH Sawai Maharaja
AJAY RAJ SINGH Sahib Bahadur, 10th Raja of
Ajaigarh (see above)