LOCATION: Orissa AREA: 435.12 kmē VILLAGES: 192 POPULATION: 42,351 (1931) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 141,000 (1931) DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Karan - Patnaik lineage SEAT: xx ACCESSION: 1st January 1950
AGENCY: Orissa Agency PRIVY PURSE: Rs 36,000
PRESENT RULER: the Raja Saheb of Athgarh
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Founded sometime in the 12th century by Sri Karan Niladri Bebarta Patnaik of the Karan caste. It is said that he was the Bebarta/Bawarta or Minister of the Raja of Puri who conferred on him the title of Raja, and gave him Athgarh as a reward for his services, or according to another account, as a dowry on marrying the Raja's sister. This state paid Rs 2,800 in tribute to the British Government. Rulers were....
- Raja Srikaran NILADRI BHAGIRATH BARMAN PATNAIK, 1st Raja of Athgarh 1178/1218
- Raja Srikaran DANDAPANI BIWARTA PATNAIK, 2nd Raja of Athgarh 1218/1253
- Raja Srikaran JAGANNATH BIWARTA PATNAIK I, 3rd Raja of Athgarh 1253/1283
Unknown Rajas 1283/1681
- Raja Srikaran NARAYANA BEBARTA PATNAIK,
Raja of Athgarh 1681/1709
- Raja Srikaran RAMA KRISHNA BEBARTA PATNAIK,
Raja of Athgarh 1709/1741
- Raja Srikaran DEBIA SINGH BEBARTA PATNAIK,
Raja of Athgarh 1741/1771
- Raja Srikaran GOPINATH BEBARTA PATNAIK, Raja of Athgarh 1771/1821, married and had issue.
- Raja Srikaran Krishna Chandra Bebarta Patnaik (qv)
- Raja Srikaran Bhubaneshwar Bebarta Patnaik (qv)
- Raja Srikaran Jagunath Bebarta Patnaik (qv)
- Raja Srikaran KRISHNA CHANDRA BEBARTA PATNAIK, Raja of Athgarh 1821/1825, married and had issue.
- Raja Srikaran Rama Chandra Bebarta Patnaik (qv)
- Raja Srikaran RAMA CHANDRA BEBARTA PATNAIK,
Raja of Athgarh 1825/1837
- Raja Srikaran BHUBANESHWAR BEBARTA PATNAIK,
Raja of Athgarh 1837/1862
- Raja Srikaran JAGUNATH BEBARTA PATNAIK II,
Raja of Athgarh 1862/1869, married and had issue. He died
- Raja Srikaran Bhagirathi Bebarta Patnaik (qv)
- Raja Srikaran Raghunath Bebarta Patnaik (qv)
- Raja Srikaran Vishvanath Bebarta Patnaik (qv)
- Raja Srikaran BHAGIRATHI BEBARTA PATNAIK,
(27th) Raja of Athgarh 1869/1893, born about 1844, he
succeeded his father on 8th February 1869 (#1), his title
of Raja was made hereditary by a sanad
of 1874. He died 1893.
- Raja Srikaran RAGHUNATH BEBARTA PATNAIK, Raja of Athgarh 1893/1896, born 1865, married and had issue, one daughter. He died spm on 25th January 1896.
- Rajkumari (name unknown),
born 1896 (posthumously).
COURT OF WARDS 1896/1908
- Raja Srikaran VISHVANATH BEBARTA PATNAIK, Raja of Athgarh 1896/1918, born 12th August 1851 (#3 p.206), 13th in descent from the founder, he succeeded to the gadi on 25th January 1896 (#3 p.206); he was granted the title of Raja Bahadur as a personal distinction in June 1908; married and had issue, as well as adoptive issue. He died 22nd June 1918.
- Raja Srikaran Radhanath Bebarta Patnaik (qv)
- (A) Kunwar (name unknown), a distant relative of the Raja
of Tigria, he was adopted at the age of three years, but
died in October 1906 (#3 p.206).
COURT OF WARDS 1918/1932
- Raja Srikaran RADHANATH BEBARTA PATNAIK, Raja of Athgarh 1918/-, born 28th November 1909 (#2), he succeeded to the gadi on 22nd June 1918 and was installed on 5th September 1932; he proposed in 1942 to adopt the son of the Raja of Parlakhimedi, as his successor.
- (see above)