|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Maratha State founded in 1699. The ruling family is
descended from Trimbak Krihna, a Yajurvedic Brahmin, who
was kulkarni or village accountant of Kinhai, a village
belonging to the chief of Aundh situated in the Koregaon
Taluka of the Satara District. His son entered the service
of Raja Rajaram of Satara, and so distinguished himself in
the field, that the Raja , who already promoted hom to the
rank of Sardar in 1690, conferred on him the ttile of
Pratinidhi (Victory) in 1698. Rulers were....
- Yamaji Pant Kulkarni, Kinhaikar (from the village
Kinahi), had one son.
- Krishna Rao Pant, had two sons.
- Appaji Pant, no issue
- Trimbak Pant, married and had issue, two sons,
- Pratinidhi Parusharam Trimbak Shamsher Bahadur
PARUSHARAM TRIMBAK Shamsher Bahadur, 1st
Chief of Aundh 1699/1718, born 1660, he was granted
the title of Pratinidhi
in 1698, which was granted back to a previous holder,
but was then regranted to him in 1700 by the widow of
Raja Rajaram; he again lost the title twice before
before being reappointed in 1714 by Raja Shahuji, who
made the title hereditary, within the family; married
and had issue. He died 27th May 1718.
- Shrimant Krishnaji Parusharam Trimbak, Chief of Vishalgad,
appointed Pratinidhi by the Raja of Kolhapur at
Vishalgadh, married and had issue.
- Gangadhar Rao Pant, married and had issue.
- Meherban Shrimant Shriniwas Rao Gangadhar [Bhagwant
- Trimbak Rao Pant, died sp.
- Shrimant Shriniwas Rao Parusharam [Shripat Rao]
- Shrimant Jagjivan Rao Parusharam [aka Dadobha]
- Sadashiv Rao Pant, died sp.
- Godu Bai, married to Ghugardare.
- Yesu Bai, married to Kolekar Deshpande.
SHRINAWAS RAO PARUSHARAM, 2nd Pant Pratinidhi
of Aundh 1718/1746. He died spm on 25th November 1746.
JAGJIVAN RAO PARUSHARAM, 3rd Pant Pratinidhi
of Aundh 1746/1749 and 1752/1754, deposed by the
Peshwa in 1749 but was reinstated in 1752. He died sp in 1754.
SHRINAWAS RAO GANGADHAR, 4th Pant Pratinidhi
of Aundh 1749/1752 and 1754/1762 and 1763/1765 and
-/1776, married and had issue. He died 5th April 1776.
- Meherban Shrimant Bhaskar Rao Shriniwas (qv)
BHASKAR RAO SHRINIWAS, 6th Pant Pratininidhi
of Aund 1762/1763, died 1763.
BHAGWANT RAO, 5th Pant Pratinidhi of Aundh
1765/1777, married and had issue, an only son. He died
30th August 1777.
- Meherban Shrimant Parusharam Rao Shrinivas (qv)
PARUSHARAM RAO SHRINAWAS [THOTO PANT], 6th
Pant Pratinidhi of Aundh 1777/1848, born 30th August
1777 (on the same day as his father's death), deposed
in 1806 and thrown into prison by the Peshwa; he was
released and re-instated on the Peshwa's death in
1818; he adopted the title of Pant in 1846, on which
occasion he paid a nazar of 25,000Rs to the Raja of
Satara, married two wives, from whom he later
separated, he adopted his successor in 1843. He died sp
on 11th June 1848.
Shrimant SHRINIVASRAO PARUSHARAM [ANNA SAHIB],
7th Pant Pratinidhi of Aundh 1848/1901, adopted from
Hibarekar family at the age of 10, born 27th November
1833, educated privately, succeeded to the gaddi on
11th June 1848, Member of the Bombay Legislative
Council 1866/1868, married 1stly, 1850, Radha Bai,
born 1845, daughter of Mutalik, married 2ndly, Thaku
Bai, daughter of Narayan Daji Sabnis of Bhushangarh,
and had issue, four sons and four daughters. He died
- Meherban Shrimant Parusharam Rao Shrinivas [Dada
- Shrimant Gangadhar Rao Shrinivas [Tatya Sahib]
Pant, married and had issue, two sons.
- Shrimant Shrinivas Rao Gangadhar [Anna Sahib]
- Shrimant Jagjiwan Rao Gangadhar Pant.
- Meherban Shrimant Bhavan Rao Shrinivas [Bala
- Shrimant Bhagwant Rao Shrinivas Pant, married a
lady of the Nevarekar family.
- Goja Bai [Akka Sahib]
- Shrimant Laxman Rao Pant
PARUSHARAM RAO SHRINIVAS alias DADA SAHIB,
8th Pant Pratinidhi of Aundh 1901/1905, born 17th
February 1858, Succeeded on the death of his father in
1901, installed on the gaddi 20th February
1902, married and had issue, two sons. He died 1905.
- Meherban Shrimant Gopal Krishna Rao Parushuram
[Nana Sahib] (qv).
- Shrimant Vithal Rao Parushuram [Bhau Sahib], born
1890, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot and New
English School, Poona. Disowned by his father and
grandfather due to doubt about his legitimacy.
GOPAL KRISHNA RAO PARUSHARAM alias NANA SAHIB,
9th Pant Pratinidhi of Aundh 1905/1909, succeeded on
the death of his father in 1905, installed on the gaddi
on 3rd November 1905, temperorily deposed in July 1909
by British Authorities for the investigation of his
involvement in a conspiracy to murder his state Karbhari,
Mr Jacob Bapuji Israel, deposed permanantly by the
British government, in favour of his uncle, 4th
Shrimant Raja BHAVAN RAO SHRINIVAS alias BALA SAHIB,
10th Pant Pratinidhi of Aundh 1909/1951, born 24th
October 1868 (#2) and
succeeded 4th November 1909; educated at Satara High
School and Deccan College, Poona (B.A.); Chief
Secretary 1896/1901, C.B.E. [cr.1946], married 1stly,
Rani Amba Bai Sahib, married 2ndly, 1906, (name unknown),
born 1890, died 1915, married 3rdly, 1913, Shrimati
Soubhagyavati Rani Rama Bai Sahib [Mai Sahib] of the
Rode family, born 1898, and had issue, seven sons and
seven daughters. He died 13th April 1951 ( #1 ).
- Shrimant Trimbakrao Pant [Raje Sahib] B.A., LL.B.,
born 1888, married and had issue, three children. He
- Akka Sahib
- Meherban Shrimant Bhagwant Rao Trimbak [Bapu
- Maina Bai
- Parshuram Rao Pant [Appa Sahib], Padma Shri 1954,
12th September 1912 (#3),
educated at Deccan College, Poona, University of
Bombay (BA) and Oxford University (MA);
Barrister-at-Law, Lincoln's Inn; Education Minister
and Prime Minister of Aundh State 1944/1948; Member
of A.I.C.C., 1948; Commissioner for the Government
of India in British East Africa 1948/1954; appointed
Consul General for Belgian Congo and Ruanda-Urundi
in November 1950 and Commissioner for Central Africa
and Nyasaland in December 1950; Officer on Special
Duty, Ministry of External Affairs 1954/1955;
Political Officer in Sikkim and Bhutan with control
over Indian Missions in Tibet 1955/1961; Indian
Ambassador to Indonesia 1961/1964, to Norway
1964/1966, to the UAR 1966/1969, to Italy 1972/1975
and High Commissioner in London 1969/1972; author of
"Tensions and Tolerance" 1965, "Aggression and
Violence: Gandhian Experiments to fight them" 1968;
"Yoga" 1968 (Arabic edition); "Surya Namaskar" 1969
(Italian edition); "Mahatma Gandhi: A Moment in
Time" 1973; "Mandala, An Awakening" 1976; "Progress,
Power, Peace and India" 1978; "Survival of the
Individual" 1981; interests include.. photography,
yoga, tennis, ski-ing and gliding, married 1942,
Shrimant Dr. Nalini Raje (née Dravid), M.B.B.S.,
F.R.C.S., and had issue. He died 5th October 1992.
- Aditi Raje
- Aniketrao Parashuram Rao Pant
- Avlokita Raje
- Madhav Rao Pant [Bapu Sahib], born 1916, married
- Krishna Rao Pant [Aaba Sahib], born 1926.
- Gangadhar Rao Pant [Tatya Sahib], born in December
- Dr. Sadashiv Rao Pant , born 1932, married Dr.
- Gopal Rao Pant [Bala Sahib], born 1935?.
- Ginu Bai
- Vasanti Raje
- Varsha Raje
- Sundara Raje
- Sharada Raje
- Mangala Raje
BHAGWANT RAO TRIMBAK [BAPU SAHIB], 11th Pant
Pratinidhi of Aundh 1951/1962, born 1919, married
Shrimant Lalita Gauri Raje Sahiba, died 8th April 2007
aged 87, daughter of G.V. Mavalankar, the first
Speaker of the Lok Sabha, and had issue, one son and
- Shrimant Shailajaraje (Tairaje) Jatar, married and
- Udayanraje Jatar
- Sameeranraje Jatar
- Meherban Shrimant Shripat Rao Bhagwant Rao (qv)
SHRIPAT RAO BHAGWANT RAO, 12th Pant
Pratinidhi of Aundh 1962/1997, born 1947, married, and
had issue, one son. He died 28th September 1997.
- Meherban Shrimant Bhagwant Rao Shripat Rao (qv)
BHAGWANT RAO SHRIPAT RAO, 13th Pant
Pratinidhi of Aundh 1997/1999, born 1972, ascended the
gaddi 29th September 1997, married Rani
Gayatri Devi, a parsi lady who converted to the Hindu
religion, she was elected to Zilla Parishad from Audh
constituency in November 1999; and had issue, two
daughters. He died 2nd March 1999 in a motor cycle
accident in Pune.
Courtesy of Abhijit Malwade © June 2002
- Rajkumari Charushila Raje, born 1995
- Rajkumari Harshita Raje, born 1997