LOCATION: Rajasthan AREA: 4,160 km˛ PRIVY PURSE: Rs 126,000 POPULATION: 165,350 (1901) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Sisodia - Ahra Guhilot clan SEAT: xx ACCESSION: 7th September 1949
PRESENT RULER: HH Maharawal JAGMAL SINGH II Bahadur, 24th Maharawal of Banswara, since 6th August 2002.
born 10th January 1985.
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Founded in 1527 by Kunwar Jagmal Das, younger son of Rawal Udai Singhji I of Dungarpur. In 1529, with the Raja of Dhar as arbitrator, the river Mahi was fixed as the boundary between the two states of Banswara and Dungarpur. Wjether this division was done amicably or by force is not made clear. Traditionally it is stated that Rawal Udai Singhji ordered the division to be made, but a local legend suggests that Kunwar Jagmal Das, was presumed to have been left for dead at Khanwa, but recovered and returned to his country, but was disowned as an imposter, whereupon he took refuge in the hills to the north of present day Banswara. He then proceeded to gradually increase his territory until he conquered the Bhils and became master of Banswara. Rulers were...
- Maharawal JAGMAL DAS, 1st Maharawal of Banswara 1527/1540, he directed his attack against the Bhil stronghold under their Chief, Wasna, who was killed with many of his followers and his lands came into the possession of Jagmal Das, this new country became known as Wasnawara; married Rani Lachhi Bai of Idar, and had issue. He died about 1540.
- Maharawal Jai Singh (qv)
- Maharawal JAI SINGH, 2nd Maharawal of Banswara, married and had issue.
- Maharawal Pratap Singh (qv)
- Maharawal PRATAP SINGH, 3rd Maharawal of Banswara, married and had issue, he lived around 1584.
- Maharawal Khana Dev (qv)
- Maharawal KHANA DEV, 4th Maharawal of Banswara, married and had issue.
- Maharawal Kalyan Singh (qv)
- Maharawal KALYAN SINGH, 5th Maharawal of Banswara, married and had issue.
- Maharawal Agar Singh (qv)
- Maharawal AGAR SINGH [aka Ugarsen], 6th Maharawal of Banswara, married and had issue.
- Maharawal Udai Singh I (qv)
- Rani Jasroop De, married (as his 2nd wife), 1627, Rao Amar Singh, Rao of Nagaur (see Jodhpur), she committed sati in July 1644.
- Maharawal UDAI SINGH I, 7th Maharawal of Banswara, married and had issue.
- Maharawal Samar Singh [aka Saman Singh](qv)
- Maharawal SAMAR SINGH, 8th Maharawal of Banswara, he is said to have seized a portion of territory belonging to the Maharawat of Pratapgarh; married and had issue.
- Maharawal Kushal Singh (qv)
- Maharawal KUSHAL SINGH, 9th Maharawal of Banswara, he conquered some territory belong to the Bhils, in the south-east and became the founder of Kushalgarh and Kushalpura, married and had issue.
- Maharawal Ajab Singh (qv)
- Maharawal AJAB SINGH, 10th Maharawal of Banswara 1688/1702, married and had issue.
- Maharawal Bhim Singh (qv)
- Maharawal BHIM SINGH, 11th Maharawal of Banswara 1702/1713, married and had issue. He died 1713.
- Maharawal Bishan Singh (qv)
- Maharawal BISHAN SINGH, 12th Maharawal of Banswara 1713/1737, married and had issue. He died 1737.
- Maharawal Udai Singh II (qv)
- Maharawal Prithvi Singh (qv)
- Maharawal UDAI SINGH II, 13th Maharawal of Banswara 1737/1747, he died 1747.
- Maharawal PRITHVI SINGH, 14th Maharawal of Banswara 1747/1786, he invaded and conquered the neighboring State of Sunth but restored it to its ruler with the exception of the districts of Chilkari and Shergarh, now in the south-west of Banswara, these two tracts are now held by the Raos of Kushalgarh and of Garhi, two of the principal nobles of the state, married the daughter of Rana Bakht Singh of Sunth, and had issue, five sons. He died 1786.
- Maharawal Bijai Singh (qv)
- Thakur Bakhtawar Singh, Bhai of Khandu, married and had issue.
- Thakur Sardar Singh, Bhai of Khandu, married and had
issue (see Khandu).
- Maharawal Bahadur Singh, he was adopted by his uncle, Thakur Ram Singh (qv)
- Thakur Khushal Singh, Bhai of Surpur, married and had issue.
- Thakur Hamir Singh, Bhai of Surpur, married and had issue.
- Thakur Madho Singh, Bhai of Surpur, he adopted Maharajkumar Surya Singh (see below), and had adoptive issue. He died sp.
- (A) Thakur Surya Singh of Surpur
- Thakur Bakhtawar Singh, married and had issue.
- HH Maharawal Lakshman Singh (qv)
- Thakur Ram Singh, Bhai of Tejpur, he adopted his nephew, married and had adoptive issue.
- (A) Maharawal Bahadur
- Maharawal BIJAI SINGH, 15th Maharawal of Banswara 1786/1816, during his reign Banswara became more or less subject to the Marathas, and paid tribute to the Raja of Dhar; in 1812 he offered to become tributary to the British Government and a treaty was signed in the next reign; married, and had issue. He died 1816.
- Maharawal Umaid Singh (qv)
- Maharawal UMAID SINGH, 16th Maharawal of Banswara 1816/1819, he made a treaty with the British in 1818, by which the tribute formerly paid to Dhar was now transferred to the British Government; troops sent by Gwalior were driven out by Thakur Arjun Singh of Garhi during his reign; married, and had issue. He died 1819.
- Maharawal Bhawani Singh (qv)
- Maharawal BHAWANI SINGH, 17th Maharawal of Banswara 1819/1838, married (amongst others) Maharani Raj Kanwar, daughter of Thakur Bakhtawar Singh of Auwa, and his first wife, Thakurani Udai Kanwar, and had issue, one daughter. He died spm on 6th November 1838 aged 34 or 35 (#1).
- Maharajkumari (name unknown). born about 1826.
- Maharawal BAHADUR SINGH, 18th Maharawal of Banswara 1838/1844, born circa 1788, married and had adopted issue. He died sp on 2nd February 1844 (#1).
- (A) HH Maharawal
Lakshman Singh (qv)
- HH Maharawal LAKSHMAN SINGH (Photo), 19th Maharawal of Banswara 1844/1905, born 1835/1839, after the famine of 1900, it was found necessary to place the State under the administration of the political Officer, assisted by a council selected by Government; married 1stly, daughter of the Raja of Pal in Idar, married 2ndly, 1860, HH Maharani Manika Kunwar, fourth daughter of Maharaja Shri Sheo Singhji of Sirohi, married 3rdly, HH Maharani Tej Kunwar, daughter of Thakur Takhat Singhji of Namli in Ratlam, married 4thly, daughter of Thakur Jiwan Singh of Bordera in Gujarat, married 5thly, daughter of Thakur Zorawar Singh of Sarwan in Ratlam, married 6thly, daughter of Thakur Parbat Singh of Poshina in Idar, married 7thly, daughter of Thakur Kodarji of Pithapur, married 8thly, daughter of Thakur Sher Singh of Bordera in Gujarat, married 9thly, daughter of Thakur Kodar Singh of Pithapur, married 10thly, daughter of Thakur Sardar Singh of Molan in Banswara, married 11thly, another daughter of Thakur Sardar Singh of Molan in Banswara and married 12thly, daughter of Thakur Gulab Singh of Bordera in Gujarat, and had issue, four sons. He died 29th April 1905.
- Maharawal Shambhu Singh (by a Bordera Maharani) (qv)
- Maharajkumar Surya Singh (by another Bordera Maharani), Thakur Saheb of Surpur, born 1874, he was adopted by Thakur Madho Singh of Surpur, and succeeded there (see above), married and had issue.
- Maharaj Bhartendra Singh, Jagirdar of Surpur
- Maharajkumar Shri Sawai Singhji (by the third Bordera Maharani), Thakur Saheb of Sargod, born 1888, married and had issue, one son.
- Maharaj Digvijay Singhji, Thakur Saheb of Sagrod, born 24th September 1924 at Banswara Palace, retired as Commissioner Devasthan (RAS), married at Kotah Palace, Kotah, Rani Phul Kunwar, daughter of Maharaj Shri Mehtab Singh II, 9th Thakur Sahib of Bamolia in Kotah, and has issue, one son and three daughters. He died July 2003.
- Maharaj Shri Devendra Singhji, Thakur Saheb of Sargod, born 10th July 1954 at Indergarh, Kota; educated at Mayo College, Ajmer and then at Vidhya Bhavan, B. Comm., LLB from Jodhpur University, married 24th January 1977 at Udaipur, Rani Sahib Devendra Kumari of Metwala, and has issue.
- Rajkumar Parikshit Singhji, born 4th December 1977 in Udaipur, Rajasthan; educated at Maharana Mewar Public School and University of Sydney (Australia), attaining a B. Comm. in Finance; married 15th February 2006, Rajkumari Rupali Kumari, daughter of Maharaj Jaideep Singhji of Raoti, and his wife, Rani Susheel Kumari, and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Bhanwar Rudrapratap Singh, born 16th February 2009.
- Baijilal Hiya Laxmi Kumari, born on 17th March 2015 in Sydney, Australia.
- Rajkumar Krishnapal Singhji, born 3rd December 1982 in Udaipur, Rajasthan; educated at the Maharana Mewar Public School and later at Sydnehams College of Commerce in Mumbai.
- Baijilal Rajkumari Pramod Kumari
- Baijilal Rajkumari Madhu Kumari
- Baijilal Rajkumari Kailash Kumari
- Maharajkumar Sajjan Singh, Jagirdar of Tejpur
- HH Maharawal SHAMBHU SINGH, 20th Maharawal of Banswara 1905/1914, born 14th October 1868, he was granted ruling powers in 1906, married nine wives, including (a), in 1890, HH Maharani Surajkuvar, sister of Thakur Khuman Singh Chauhan of Gamra, married (b), HH Maharani Krishna Kunwar, daughter of Thakur Fateh Singh of Mandar (Badi Patni) in Sirohi, and had issue, eight sons and two daughters. He died 8th January 1914 (or 27th December 1913).
- HH Sri Raj-i-Rajan Maharawal Sir Prithvi Singh Bahadur (qv)
- Maharaj Gulab Singh, Jagirdar of Chanduji ka Gurha
- Maharaj Lal Singh, Jagirdar of Pipalda, married and had issue.
- Rajkumari Kusum Kumari, married Thakur Narendra Singh of Baghsuri.
- Maharaj Madan Singhji (by Maharani Surajkuvar), fourth son, Jagirdar of Sarwan, he and his younger full brother, were granted the estate of Jagatpura.
- Maharaj Chhatar Singh (by the Nathawat Maharani), fifth son, Jagirdar of Gori or Godi Tejpur in Banswara, married Rani Ishwar Kanwar, and had issue.
- Maharaj Lokendra Singh, born 5th May 1932, married 1956, Rani Nawal Kanwar of Tana-Mewar, born 26th January 1935, and had issue. He died January 1995.
- Rajkumari Jayshree Kumari, born 30th January 1958.
- Maharaj Dashrath Singh, born 5th Janaury 1960.
- Rajkumari Kirti Kumari, born 10th September 1963.
- Maharaj Hershvijay Sisodia, born 10th July 1972, married Rani Bhanushree Devi, daughter of Lt.-Col. Kunwar Ruby Jaswal of Singhnai, and his wife, Kunwarani Maheshlata Kumari (see Balsan).
- Rajkumari Jayendra Kumari, born October 1934.
- Maharaj Surendra Singh, born August 1936, unmarried.
- Maharaj Jagat Singh Sisodia, married Rani Pratibha Kumari, daughter of Thakur Ram Pratap Singh of Jagir Kila Amargarh (see Rajgarh), and his wife, Thakurani Amba Devi, and has issue.
- Rajkumari Ruchi Sisodia
- Rajkumar Ajay Raj Sisodia.
- Maharaj Kishore Singhji (by Maharani Surajkuvar), Jagirdar of Daulatpura, sixth son, he and his elder full brother, were granted the estate of Jagatpura, married a daughter of Maharajkumar Fatehsinghji Jashwantsinghji of Danta.
- Maharaj Shankar Singh, seventh son,
- Maharaj Sawai Raj Singh, eighth son, died 16th October 1926.
- HH Sri Raj-i-Rajan Maharawal Sir PRITHVI SINGH Bahadur K.C.I.E., 21st Maharawal of Banswara 1914/1944, born 15th July 1888 (#4 p.293), he succeeded to the gadi on 8th January 1914 (#4 p.293) and was invested with full ruling powers on 18th March 1914 (#4 p.293), he attended the Coronation Durbar in Delhi in December 1911; K.C.I.E. [cr. 2.1.1933], married 1stly, a daughter of Maharao Kesri Singhji Bahadur of Sirohi, and had issue, one son, she died 24th December 1909, married 2ndly, a daughter of Maharana Sri Jashwantsinhji Harisinhji of Danta, and had issue, one son and two daughters, she died 25th March 1916, married 3rdly, a daughter of the Thakore Sahib of Malia in Gujarat, and had issue, one daughter, married 4thly, HH Maharani Daulat Kanwar of Jodhpur, she had issue, one son and four daughters, and had issue, three sons and seven daughters. He died 28th July 1944 (#2).
- Maharawal Chandraveer Singh Bahadur (by 1st wife)(qv)
- HH Maharani Amba Kunwari Sahiba (by the 2nd wife), married 27th January 1928, to HH Maharaja Arimardan Singhji of Charkhari.
- Rani Komal Kumari (by 2nd wife), married 21st February 1930, Maj. Rawal Raghubir Singhji of Bissau, and had issue.
- Maharajkumar Rajendra Singh (by 2nd wife), born 1914, died on 13th April 1916.
- Maharani Suraj Kanwar, married 4th February 1937, HH Maharaja Manabendra Shah of Tehri-Garhwal.
- Rani Mohan Kunwar, married 1949, Raja Chain Singh of Jaswan, and had issue.
- Rani Sri Kumari, married Raja Jitendra Singh Jhala of Labhowa, son of Kumar Shri Arjunsinhji Jorawarsinhji Jhala [Raja Arjun Singh Jhala of Labhowa] (third son of Thakur Shri Jorawarsinhji Madhavsinhji of Chuda), and adopted son of the Raja Saheb of Labhowa, and has issue.
- Yuvaraj Pratap Singh Jhala of Thikana Labhowa, married Yuvrani Reena Kumari, daughter of Maj. General Dewan Misri Chand, and his wife, Rani Indra Mohini of Sahaspur.
- Maharaj Narpat Singh (by the 4th wife), born 15th May 1921 (#4 p.293), married 20th January 1940, Rani Shukla Kumari, born 3rd June 1924 in Nahan, younger daughter of Kanwar Ranzore Singh Sahib of Sirmur, and had issue, one son and two daughters.
- Maharaj Ganga Singh, married 1962 (div. 1980), Rani Shailesh Kumari of Jodhpur, and has issue.
- Baijilal Rajkumari Manisha Kumari [Rani Manisha Singh
of Jobat], born 1965, married 21st May 1991 in Umaid
Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur, Maharaj Bhawani Singh of Jobat, and has issue, one
- Kunwar Maheshwar Singh, born 1968.
- Rani Usha Kumari, married 1971 at Lucknow, Raja Arya Shah of Khairigarh-Singhai, died October 2000, and had issue. She died 1995.
- HH Sri Raj-i-Rajan Maharawal CHANDRAVEER SINGH Bahadur, 22nd Maharawal of Banswara 1944/1985, born 26th November 1909 (#4 p.293), succeeded to the Banswar gaddi on 28th July 1944; married 3 wives, amongst whom, (a), HH Maharani Sajjan Kunwarba Sahiba, daughter of Major HH Maharana Shri Maharaja Shri Raj Sir Ghanshyamsinhji Ajitsinhji Sahib Bahadur of Dhrangadhra, and his second wife, HH Maharani Vijay Kunwarba Sahiba, and had issue, 18 children, including issue by three secondary wives. He died 6th April 1985.
- Maharajkumari Balwant Pratap Kumari, born 1930, married 1965, Maharaj Ramendra Singh of Amleta in Ratlam.
- HH Sri Raj-i-Rajan Maharawal Suryaveer Singh Bahadur (qv)
- Maharajkumari Janaknandini Kumari, born 7th October 1935, died 17th December 1974.
- Maharaj Hanumant Singh, born 29th March 1939 in Banswara, an excellent cricketer in career spanning more than 20 years which was highlighted by a century on Test debut (against England); later as team captain, he led Central Zone to their first Duleep Trophy triumph in 1971-72 and ended up with more than 12,000 runs in first-class cricket; after retirement, he continued with the game as a coach, administrator, selection committee chairman and ICC match referee; he married, 1974, and had issue, one son and one daughter. He died 29th November 2006 died at the Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai of renal and lung failure.
- Maharaj Sangram Singh
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) Kumari [Princess Tinu], born 1940.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) Kumari [Princess Khilu], born 1943.
- Maharaj Saheb Shree Mahesh Pratap Singhji (by Rani Lalita Kanwar), born 24th September 1946 in Banswara Palace, Rajasthan, educated at The Daly College, Indore 1952/1963, and at the SGSITS, Indore (B.Civil E. 1968), presently holds the position of Chief of Irrigation Works, Rajasthan State Department, since August 1969; he is instrumental in the restoration of lakes and healthy water levels in all the lakes of Udaipur region; a fine artist and cricketer who represented Madhya Pradesh Scools and Indore University at the national level; a keen philanthropist who has worked tirelessly for the welfare of society in general and the Rajput community in particular; greatly admired and respected for maintaining the values, ethics and living standards set by his father the late HH Maharawal Chandraveer Singhji, ruler of Banswara; he holds various honourary positions and chairmanships; married 7th April 1967 in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, Rani Meenadevi, and has issue. (Kushalbagh (#1), Banswara, Rajasthan, India)
- Rajkumar Prabal Pratap Singhji, born 14th July 1968,educated at the Daly College, Indore and graduated from Bombay University; married 3rd July 1998, Rajkumari Mridula Kumari, daughter of Maharaj Shri Balbhadra Singhji Sahib of Kapren in Bundi, and his wife Rani Rohini Kumari, and has issue, one son.
- Kunwar Keshvasya Pratap Singh
- Rajkumar Shree Jaideep Pratap Singhji, born 1970,
educated at the Daly College, Indore and graduated from
Bombay University with a Bachelor's Degree in Economics
and a Master's Degree in Management Science; an extremely
talented cricketer who represented Madhya Pradesh State,
Bombay University and Bombay U-19's at the National Level;
married Rajkumarani Raj Rajeshwari Singh, daughter of Thakur Lal Singh of Depur, and has issue,
one daughter and one son.
- Baiji Lal Tejaswini Singh (Princess Bosky Baisa), born 17th May 2000, educated at Mayo Girl's College, Ajmer.
- Kumar Saheb Yash Vardan Singh Banswara, born 6th August 2014 in Melbourne, Australia.
- Maharaj Manmahipal Singhji, married Rani Hansa Kumari, daughter of Maharaj Rajendra Singh of Dhonswas in Ratlam (see Amleta), and his wife, Rani Manhar Kunwar, and has issue, three daughters.
- Rajkumari Uttara Kumari
- Rajkumari Devika Kumari
- Rajkumari Purva Kumari
- Maharaj Nahar Singhji, born 6th May 1947, married Kumari Sangeeta Kumari, born 13th January 1954, daughter of Kanwar Jagat Bahadur Singh of Sirmur, and has issue, one daughter.
- Maharajkumari (name
unknown) Kumari, married Rajwar Tikendra Bahadur
Pal of Askote, and has
- HH Sri Raj-i-Rajan Maharawal SURYAVEER SINGH Bahadur, 23rd Maharawal of Banswara 1985/2002, born 23rd December 1936 in Banswara, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot; former Ranji Trophy cricket captain, vice-president of the Rajasthan Cricket Association, his First Class Cricket career spanned 14 years (1958/1972) during which he scored 4006 runs with a high-score of 184 not out for Rajasthan against Bombay in their 1968-69 Ranji semi-final; married 1975, the only daughter of Maharaj Sahib Rameshwar Pratap Singh of Kachhi-Baroda, and his wife, Rani Rukmani Kumari, and had issue. He died 5th August 2002 at Prantiki in Himmatnagar district of Gujarat in a car accident.
- HH Sri Raj-i-Rajan Maharawal Jagmal Singh II (qv)
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) Kumari, died 5th August 2002 at Prantiki in Himmatnagar district of Gujarat in a car accident.
- HH Sri Raj-i-Rajan Maharawal JAGMAL SINGH II Bahadur, 24th Maharawal of Banswara (see above)
- Maharaj Sahib Udaiveer Singhji of Banswara, married and has issue.
- Rajkumari Bindu Kumari, married 21st April 2006, Bhanwar Virender Singh of Baghsuri.
- Rani Haeth Kumari, married Apji Raghuraj Singh of Koela in Kotah, and had issue.
- Kunwar Dharamvir Singh, married Kumari Mahima Kumari, born 9th April 1968, daughter of Kanwar Lokendra Singh of Keonthal, and his wife, Kumari Chandra Prabha.