|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: The
ancestor of the family was Rawal Patai, last Chauhan King
of Champaner around 1484. His son Rawal Raisinghji, had
two sons, of whom the elder succeeded to Chhota-Udaipur,
and the younger, Raja Dungarsinghji, became the founder of
Baria in around 1524. A Second Class state in the Rewa
Kantha Agency. In 1893, the Raja was allowed to maintain a
military force of 38 cavalry, 250 infantry and 3 guns.
- Raja DUNGARSINHJI I,
1st Raja of Baria, married and had issue. He lived
- Raja Udaisinhji Dungarsinhji (qv)
- Raja UDAISINHJI
DUNGARSINHJI, 2nd Raja of Baria, married and
- Raja Rayasinhji Udaisinhji (qv)
- Raja RAYASINHJI
UDAISINHJI, 3rd Raja of Baria, married and
- Raja Vijaysinhji Rayasinhji (qv)
- Raja VIJAYSINHJI
RAYASINHJI, 4th Raja of Baria, married and
- Raja Mansinhji Vijaysinhji (qv)
- Raja MANSINHJI
VIJAYSINHJI, 5th Raja of Baria, married and
had issue. He died about 1720 (#2).
- Raja Prithvirajji Mansinhji (qv)
- Raja PRITHVIRAJJI I
MANSINHJI, 6th Raja of Baria, married and had
issue. He died after 1732.
- Raja Rayadharji Prithvirajji (qv)
- Raja RAYADHARJI
PRITHVIRAJJI, 7th Raja of Baria, married and
had issue. (#3)
- Raja Gangadasji Rayadharji (qv)
- Raja GANGADASJI I
RAYADHARJI, 8th Raja of Baria, married and
- Raja Gambhirsinhji Gangadasji (qv)
- Raja GAMBHIRSINHJI
GANGADASJI, 9th Raja of Baria, married and
- Raja Dhiratsinhji Gambhirsinhji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Sahebsinhji Gambhirsinhji, married and
- Raja Jashwantsinhji Sahebsinhji (qv)
- Raja DHIRATSINHJI
GAMBHIRSINHJI, 10th Raja of Baria (#4)
- Raja JASHWANTSINHJI
SAHEBSINHJI, 11th Raja of Baria, married and
had issue. He lived around 1803.
- Raja Gangadasji II Jashwantsinhji (qv)
- Raja GANGADASJI II
JASHWANTSINHJI, 12th Raja of Baria -/1819,
married and had issue. He died in August 1819.
- Raja Bhimsinhji Gangadasji (qv)
- Raja Prithvirajji II Gangadasji (qv)
- Raja PRITHVIRAJJI II GANGADASJI, Raja of Baria in
1819 (first time), he usurped the throne after his
fathers death, but was deposed after a short term.
- 'Raja' RUPJI, Raja of Baria in 1819, he usurped the
throne, but was deposed after a short term.
- Raja BHIMSINHJI
GANGADASJI, 13th Raja of Baria 1819/1820
- Raja PRITHVIRAJJI
II GANGADASJI, 14th Raja of Baria 1820/1864
(second time), married (amongst others), (a), a daughter of Rana Mohan Singhji II, Rana of Barwani, and had issue. He died 1864.
- HH Maharawal Shri Mansinhji II Prithvirajji (qv)
- HH Maharawal Shri
MANSINHJI II PRITHVIRAJJI, 15th Raja of Baria
[5.3.1864] - [25.2.1908], born 4th October 1855,
succeeded 5th March 1864 (#1),
educated at Ahmedabad Talukdari School and at Rajkumar
College, Rajkot, granted full ruling powers on 6th
November 1876, married 1873, HH Maharani Chandra
Kunverba Sahiba, daughter of Maharana Vairisalji
Naharsinhji of Rajpipla,
and had issue. He died 25th February 1908.
- Lt.-Col. HH Maharawal Sir Shri Ranjitsinhji
- Maharaj Shri Naharsinhji Mansinhji Sahib, born
12th December 1887 (#7 p.42),
he held the honorary rank of 2nd Lieutenant in the
Indian Land Forces and of Lieutenant-Colo0nel in the
Baria State Forces, of which he is the Chief
Commandant; married Rani Drupad Kunverba Sahiba,
died 1980, daughter of Maharana Shri Gambhirsinhji
Vairisalji of Rajpipla,
and had issue, one son.
- Maharaj Shri Prithisinhji Naharsinhji Sahib,
married 1stly, Bai Shri Ajit Kunverba Sahib [Rani
Ajit Kunverba Sahiba of Baria], daughter of
Thakore Sahib Shri Dipsinhji Vibhaji, 4th Thakore
Saheb of Sajjanpur
in Morvi, and his third wife, Thakorani Shri
Jhaliji Sahib, and had issue.
- Rajkumari Niranjana Devi, born 14th November
1929, married (as his second wife), Rao Harendra
Singhji, 18th Rao of Kushalgarh,
born 11th May 1924, died 21st February 1967, and
- Maharaj Digvijaysinhji Prithisinhji, married a
daughter of General Maharajadhiraj Shri Sir Ajit
Singhji Sahib of Jodhpur,
and his wife, Rani Man Kumari, and had issue.
- Maharaj Indravijaysinhji Digvijaysinhji
- Rajkumari Vandana Devi, married into Baroda
- Maharaj Virvijaysinhji Prithisinhji, married
and had issue.
- Rajkumari Preeti Singh, married Rawal Raja
Raghvendra Singh of Samode, and has
issue, a son and a daughter.
- Air Commodore Raja Pritamsinhji Prithisinhji
(by 2nd wife), married and has issue.
- Rio Singh (by 2nd wife)
- HH Maharani Suraj Kunverb Sahiba, married HH
Maharaja Shri Sir Lakhdirji Waghji Bahadur of Morvi, and had issue.
- HH Maharani Dev Kunverba Sahiba, married 1893 (as
his first wife), HH Maharaja Rao Bhavsinhji II
Takhatsinghji of Bhavnagar,
and had issue.
- Lt.-Col. HH
Maharawal Shri Sir RANJITSINHJI MANSINHJI
K.C.S.I., 16th Raja of Baria [29.2.1908] - [7.9.1949],
born 10th July 1886 (#7 p.42),
he succeeded to the gadi
on 28th February 1908 (#8
p.1223) and was installed on 7th May 1908 (#7 p.42), educated at Rajkumar
College, Rajkot, and for a short time at a private
school in Derbyshire, England and in the Imperial
Cadet Corps, Dehra Dun; he served in France and
Flanders during WWI and on the N.W. Frontier during
the Afghan War 1919, he was conferred with the
Honorary rank of Captain on 1st January 1918 in
recognition of services rendered during WWI; he was
promoted to Major in 1930; K.C.S.I. [cr.1.1.1922] (#7 p.42), married 1stly, 1905,
HH Maharani Takhat Kunverba Sahiba, died 1916,
daughter of HH Maharana Shri Sir Chhatrasinhji
Gambhirsinhji of Rajpipla,
married 2ndly, 1918, HH Maharani Dilhar Kunverba
Sahiba, daughter of Maharana Shri Gambhirsinhji
Vairisalji of Rajpipla,
and had issue. He died 7th September 1949 (#5).
Ranjitsinhji (by Maharani Takhat Kunverba), born 9th
June 1909 (#7 p.42),
married Yuvarani Bibhasprabha Devi, daughter of HH
Maharaja Birendra Kishore Dev Varman Manikya Bahadur
of Tripura, and had
issue. He died in January 1934.
- Yuvaraj Jabbarsinhji Sobhagsinhji, he died
between 1938 and 1949.
- HH Maharawal Jaideepsinhji Sobhagsinhji (qv)
- Maharaj Pradeepsinhji Sobhagsinhji, married Rani
Tika Rajya Lakshmi Devi of Nepal, and had issue.
- Maharaj Jitendrasinhji Pradeepsinhji, born 7th
January 1962, educated at Rajkumar College,
Rajkot (1980), married and has issue, two sons.
- Rajkumar Varun Singh Chauhan
- Rajkumar Aditya Singh Chauhan
- Maharaj Udayendrasinhji Pradeepsinhji, born
3rd November 1963, died 16th June 2003 in Baria.
- Maharajkumari Samyukta Devi, married in Raj
- Maharaj Shri Hirasinhji Ranjitsinhji (by Maharani
Dilhar Kunverba), born 11th February 1922 (#7 p.42), married Rani
Ranjana Devi of Rajpipla,
and had issue.
- Rajkumar Prithviraj Singh, died 1985.
- Rajkumari Geeta Devi, married Dr. Uday Saraiya.
- Kunwari Sahiba Rajendra Kunwar Ba, engaged 19th
July 1915, to Yuvraj Fateh Singh of Alirajpur.
- Col. HH Maharawal
Shri JAIDEEPSINHJI SOBHAGSINHJI, 17th Raja of
Baria 1949/1987, born 24th June 1929 (#6), educated at
Mayo College, Ajmer; he succeeded to the gadi on 7th
September 1949 after the death of his grandfather;
Member of the 8th Lok Sabha, a renowned polo player,
married 27th May 1948, HH Maharani Prem Kumari,
daughter of HH Saramad-i-Rajahai Hindustan Raj
Rajendra Shri Maharajadhiraj Sir Sawai Man Singhji II
Bahadur of Jaipur, and
his first wife, HH Maharani Marudhar Kunwar, and had
issue. He died 1987?
- Maharajkumari Urvashi Devi [Princess Bambi], born
22nd July 1949 in Devgadh-Baria, Dahod; B.A.
(Hons.), Member of the 8th Gujarat Legislative
Assembly, married Rajkumar Kanak Singh of Dumraon, and has
issue, one son.
- Rajkumar Tushar Singh (Baba) [Kumar Shri
Tusharsinhji Kanaksinhji], born 19th April 1973,
educated at boarding schools in Shimla, a District
Panchayat Member, Chairman of the Panchayat
Construction Committee, Member of the Legislative
Assembly of Gujarat from Devgadh Baria; married
Maharajkumari Ambika Kumari, born 17th January
1977, daughter of Raja Aniruddh Pal Singh of Awagadh, and his
wife, Rani Anjali Devi, and has issue, two sons.
- Kunwar Arunoday Singh, born 9th July 2002.
- Kunwar Nirbhay Singh, born 15th December 2005.
Maharawal (name unknown)
- Maharani Kanak Kumari, married Maharaja Bahadur Ram
Ran Vijay Prasad Singh of Dumraon,
and had issue.
- Captain Kalyan Singh, married and had issue.
- Kanwar Pravin Singh, born about May 1931.
- Kanwar Nirmal Singh, born about December 1932.