SHORT HISTORY: The state was founded in the 15th century,
and was the 11th largest Princely State by area. Rulers were...
ANNAM DEV, 1st Raja of Bastar 1324/1369, traditional
founder, brother of the Kakatiya Raja of Warangal, Pratap Rudra Dev,
said to have established himself at Bastar, defeating the Nagvanshi
Raja, and established his capital at Mudhota under the protection of
the goddess, Danteshwari, still the family deity.
HAMIR DEV, 2nd Raja of Bastar 1369/1410
BHAITAI DEV, 3rd Raja of Bastar 1410/1468
PURUSHOTTAM DEV, 4th Raja of Bastar 1468/1534, he shifted
his capital to Old Bastar.
PRATAP RAJ DEV, Raja of Bastar 1602/1625, married and had
issue, extinct in the 3rd generation,
DIGPAL DEO, Raja of Bastar 1680/1709
RAJPAL DEO, Raja of Bastar 1709/1721, descended from the
younger brother of Raja Pratap Raj Dev, married 1stly, a Baghela
Princess, married 2ndly, a Chandel Princess, and had issue.
- Rajkumar Dakhin Singh (by 1st wife)
- Raja Dalpat Deo (by 2nd wife) (qv)
- Rajkumar Pratap Singh (by 2nd wife)
MAMA, Raja of Bastar 1721/1731
DALPAT DEO, Raja of Bastar 1731/1774, moved his capital to
Jagdalpur; he married (amongst 7 wives), 1stly, a daughter of Raja Goor
Sai Deo of Kanker,
and had issue.
- Rajkumar Ajmer Singh (by 1st wife), usurped the gaddi
for a short time.
- Raja Daryao Deo (by 2nd wife) (qv)
DARYAO DEO, Raja of Bastar 1774 and 1777/bef 1819, married
and had issue.
MAHIPAL DEO, Raja of Bastar fl. 1819, married and had
- Raja Bhopal Deo (qv)
- Lal Dalganjan Singh, Dewan of Bastar 1846/1863,
married and had issue. He died 1863.
- Lal Kalendra Singh, Dewan of Bastar 1882/-;
deported to Illichpur for his part in the Bastar rebellion of 1910,
where he died. He died 1916 at Illichpur.
- Kunwar Chakar Singh
BHOPAL DEO, Raja of Bastar 1830/1853, married and had
issue, as well as further issue.
- Raja Bhairam Deo (qv)
- Kunwar Durjan Singh (by a secondary union), Dewan
of Bastar -/1881, died February 1881
BHAIRAM DEO, Raja of Bastar 1853/1891, born 21st May 1839,
succeeded 27th August 1853 (#1),
recognized as a Feudatory Chief by the British Government in 1865; he
married (amongst others), Senior Rani Subra Kanwar, died October 1910
at Raipur, (a) Nawabai (concubine), and had issue, as well as
illegitimate issue. He died 28th July 1891.
- Raja Rudra Pratap Deo (qv)
- Maharanidhirani Padmalaya Devi, married
Maharajadhiraj Nahar Deo of Kanker,
and had issue.
- Kunwar Bahadur Singh (by a secondary union)
- Kunwar Arjun Singh (by a secondary union)
RUDRA PRATAP DEO, Raja of Bastar 1891/1921, born 5th March
1885, succeeded 20th July 1891, installed in January 1908, educated at
Rajkumar College, Raipur; married 1stly, Rani Kusumlata Devi, daughter
of Raja Sir Basudeb Sudhal Deb of Bamra,she
died 18th August 1911, married 2ndly, Rani Chandra Kumari, she died sp,
and had issue, one son and one daughter. He died 1921.
- Yuvaraj (name unknown) (by Rani
Kusumlata Devi), died at the age of ten months.
- Rani Prafulla Kumari Devi (by Rani Kusumlata Devi)
- HH Rani
Prafulla Kumari Devi, Rani of Bastar 1921/1936, born 10th
February 1910, married 1927, Lal Sahib Prafulla Chandra Bhanj Deo of Mayurbhanj, born 23rd
May 1909, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha, for two terms, viz. 1952 -
1954 and 1954 - 1959, died 5th March 1959, and had issue. She died 28th
February 1936 in London.
- Rajkumari Kamla Devi (by Rani Prafulla
Kumari Devi), born 2nd February 1928, married in Bijwa U.P. She died
1st January 1954.
- Maharaja Pravir Chandra Bhanj Deo (qv)
- Rajkumari Geeta Kumari Devi, born 29th
October 1930, married Raja Saheb Kadamba Keshri Chandra Deo of Bonai, and had issue. She died
17th December 2002.
- Maharaja Vijay Chandra Bhanj Deo (qv)
Maharaja PRAVIR CHANDRA BHANJ DEO, Maharaja of Bastar
1936/1966, born 12th March 1929 (or 25th June 1929 (#3)), educated at Rajkumar
College, Raipur; succeeded 28th October 1936, deposed by the Indian
authorities in 1961, M.L.A. (Madhya Pradesh), married 4th July 1961, HH
Maharani Shubhraj Kumari, born 1930, died sp on
11th September 1996, daughter of Rao Sahib Udaya Singhji of Patan. He died sp
on 25th March 1966 (#2).
Maharaja VIJAY CHANDRA BHANJ DEO, Maharaja of Bastar
1966/1970, born 4th March 1934, married HH Maharani Hitendra Kumari,
daughter of Thakore Saheb Surendrasinhji Karansinhji of Sayla, and had issue. He
died 12th April 1970.
- Maharaja Bharat Chandra Bhanj Deo (qv)
- Maharajkumar Shri Devesh Chandra Bhanj Deo (+),
married and had issue.
- Kumar Mohit Chandra Bhanj Deo
- Kumari Juhika Devi Bhanj Deo
- Maharajkumar Shri Harihar Chandra Bhanj Deo,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1974); a practising lawyer in the
capital Jagdalpur, married and had issue.
- Kumar Suryaveer Chandra Bhanj Deo
- Rani Saheba Puspa Devi, married Raja Rajendra
Chandra Deb Birabara Harichandan Mahapatra, 25th Raja Saheb of Talcher, and has issue,
Maharaja BHARAT CHANDRA BHANJ DEO, Maharaja of Bastar
1970/1996, born 1954, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1972);
married HH Maharani Krishna Kumari Devi (now Maharajmata Krishna Kumari
Devi of Bastar), daughter of Kumar Shri Madhavsinhji Bhimsinhji of Tharad, and had issue, one
son and one daughter. He died 1996.
- Maharaja Kamal Chandra Bhanj Deo (qv)
- Rajkumari Gayatri Devi Bhanj Deo
Maharaja KAMAL CHANDRA BHANJ DEO (see above)