|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: The
was founded in 1707. Rulers were...
- Nawab DOST
MUHAMMED KHAN, 1st Nawab of Bhopal 1707/1728,
born 1672 in Tirah, son of Sardar Nur Muhammed Khan,
educated privately, he was granted the titles of Nawab
and Diler Jang in 1717, by the Mughal Emperor, married
(amongst others) 1stly, Mehraj Bibi, married 2ndly,
Fatah Bibi, married 4thly, Taj Bibi (née Jai Kunwar),
and had issue, six sons and five daughters. He died in
- Nawab Yar Muhammed Khan (qv)
- Nawabzada Sultan Muhammed Khan, born 1720,
married and had issue.
- Sahibzada Murid Muhammed Khan, married and had
- Nawab Haidar Muhammed Khan, founder of Pathari.
- Nawabzada Sardar Muhammed Khan
- Nawabzada Fazil Muhammed Khan, married and had
- Sahibzada Sharif Muhammed Khan, married and had
- Nawab Wazir Muhammed Khan (qv)
- Nawabzada Wazil Muhammed Khan, married Izzat
Begum, and had issue.
- Bahu Begum (née Saleha Begum), married her
cousin, Nawab Faiz Muhammed Khan. She died sp.
- Nawabzada Khan Bahadur Muhammed Khan
- Nawab YAR MUHAMMED
KHAN, 2nd Nawab of Bhopal 1728/1742, born
1709, installed 30th August 1728, married (amongst
others), Mamola Bai, born 1715, she died sp in
1795, and had issue. He died 1742, buried at
- Nawab Faiz Muhammed Khan (qv)
- Nawab Hayat Muhammed Khan (qv)
- Nawabzada Saeed Muhammed Khan
- Nawabzada Husain Muhammed Khan
- Nawabzada Yasin Muhammed Khan, Diwan of Bhopal,
died after 1776.
- Moti Begum
- Nawab FAIZ MUHAMMED
KHAN, 3rd Nawab of Bhopal 1742/1777, born
1731, moved the capital from Islamnagar to Bhopal,
married his cousin, Bahu Begum (née Saleha Begum). He
died sp on 12th December 1777.
- Nawab HAYAT
MUHAMMED KHAN, 4th Nawab of Bhopal 1777/1807,
born 1734, installed 3rd January 1778, married
(amongst others), Asmat Begum, died 30th December
1797, and had issue. He died 17th November 1807.
- Nawab Ghous Muhammed Khan (qv)
- Nawab GHOUS
MUHAMMED KHAN, 5th Nawab of Bhopal 1807/1826,
born 1767, married (amongst others), Zeenat Begum,
died 1827, and had issue, 65 children. He died 1826.
- Nawabzada Moiz Muhammed Khan (by Zeenat Begum)
- Nawab Faujdar Muhammed Khan (by Zeenat Begum)
- Nawab Sultan Qudsia Begum (née Gohar Ara) (by
Zeenat Begum) (qv)
- Nawab WAZIR
MUHAMMED KHAN, 6th Nawab of Bhopal 1807/1816,
born 1766, Diwan of Bhopal, Commander-in-Chief of the
Bhopal Army, Nawab of Bhopal in opposition to Nawab
Ghous Muhammed Khan, married and had issue. He died
16th March 1816, buried at Bara Bagh.
- Nawabzada Amir Muhammed Khan, married Munawwar
Jahan, sister of Asad Ali Khan of Basoda, and had
issue. He died 1854.
- Nawab Munir Muhammed Khan (qv)
- Nawab Jahangir Muhamnmed Khan (qv)
- Nawab Nazar Muhammed Khan (qv)
- Nawab NAZAR
MUHAMMED KHAN, 7th Nawab of Bhopal 1816/1819,
born 1791, married 1817, Nawab Sultan Qudsia Begum,
born 1801, died 1881, and had issue. He died 19th
- Nawab Sultan Sikander Begum (qv)
- Nawab MUNIR
MUHAMMED KHAN, 8th Nawab of Bhopal 1819/1827,
installed 9th December 1819,
- Nawab Sultan
Kudsiyya Begum, 9th Nawab Begum of Bhopal
1819/1837, born 1801, married Nawab Nazar Muhammed
Khan (see above), and had issue. She died 1881.
- Nawab JAHANGIR
MUHAMMED KHAN, 10th Nawab of Bhopal
1837/1844, born 1816, installed 29th November 1837,
married 18th April 1835, Nawab Sultan Sikander Begum,
born 1818, died 30th November 1868 (see below), and
had issue. He died 1844.
- HH Nawab Sultan Shah Jehan Begum (qv)
- Nawabzada Dastgir Muhammed Khan (by a concubine)
- Nawab FAUDJAR
MUHAMMED KHAN, 11th Nawab of Bhopal 1844/1847
(abdicated), born 1811, died after 1847.
- Nawab Sultan
Sikander Begum, 12th Nawab Begum of Bhopal
1847/1868, born 1818, married Nawab Jahangir Muhammed
Khan (see above), and had issue. She died 30th
- HH Nawab Sultan
Shah Jehan Begum, 13th Nawab Begum of Bhopal
1868/1901, born 3rd July 1838, married 1stly, 18th
July 1855, Sardar Bakshi Baqi Muhammed Khan, died June
1867, married 2ndly, 8th May 1871, Nawab Wala Jah Amin
ul-Mulk Syed Siddiq Hasan Khan, born 14th October 1832
at Bareilly, died 26th May 1890 and had issue. She
died 16th June 1901 (#1).
- HH Nawab Sultan Jahan Begum (by 1st husband)
- Nawabzadi Suleiman Jahan, born 1861, died 1866.
- HH Nawab Sultan
Jahan Begum, 14th Nawab Begum of Bhopal
1901/1926 (abdicated 29th April 1926), born 9th July
1858, G.C.S.I. [cr.1910], G.C.I.E. [cr.1904], G.B.E.
(civil) [cr.1918], C.I., a Donat of the Order of St
John of Jerusalem, married on 1st February 1875, Nawab
Ihtisham ul-Mulk Sultan Daulah Ahmad Ali Khan of
Jalalabad, born 1854, died December 1901, and had
issue. She died 12th May 1930 (#3).
- Nawabzadi Bilqis Jahan, born 25th October 1875,
- Nawabzada Hafiz Muhammed Nasirullah Khan Bahadur,
born 4th December 1876, married 17th January 1902,
Qaisar Dulhan, and had issue. He died 3rd September
- Sahibzada Habibullah Muhammed Khan, married
1stly, Nawab Jan, married 2ndly, Feroza Dulhan
- Sahibzada Rafiqullah Muhammed Khan
- Sahibzadi Noor Jehan Begum
- Gen. Nawabzada Hafiz Muhammed Ubaidullah Khan
Bahadur, born 3rd November 1878, C.S.I. [cr.
xx.6.1912], privately educated under the supervision
of his mother; A.D.C. to His Excellency the Viceroy;
Commander-in-Chief of the armies of the Bhopal
State, a Colonel of the Imperial Service Troops of
Bhopal and an Honorary Captain of the British
Forces; Trustee of the M.A.O College, Aligarh;
married 17th January 1902, Shaharyar Dulhan, and had
issue. He died 24th March 1924 (#2).
- Sahibzadi Birjis Jahan
- Sahibzada Wahid Muhammed Khan, married 1924,
Sheher Banu Begum, died 1924. He died sp
- Sahibzada Sayeed Muhammad uz-Zuffur Khan,
married Nawabzadi Shahnoor Jehan Begum, daughter
of Maj. Meherban Nawab Abdu'l Majid Khan II Diler
Jang Bahadur, Nawab of Savanur, and his
wife, Nawab Khaliqunnissa Begum, and had issue.
- Sahibzadi Enver Zia Sultana, married Shri
Mahendra Mathur, son of Shri Amarnath Mathur,
and has issue, three children.
- Sahibzada Rashid Muhammed Khan
- HH Nawab Begum Batool Bi, married HH Nawab Hafiz
Muhammed Ismail Ali Khan, Nawab of Tonk, and had issue.
- Nawabzadi Asif Jahan, born 5th August 1880, died
- Col. HH Nawab Hamidullah Khan (qv)
- Col. HH Nawab HAMIDULLAH
KHAN, 15th Nawab of Bhopal 1926/1960 ,
G.C.S.I. [cr.1932], G.C.I.E. [cr.1929], C.S.I.
[cr.1921], C.V.O. [cr.1922], born 9th September 1894,
educated at Bhopal and Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental
College, Aligarh (graduated 1905) and later at
Allahabad University (BA Law 1915), appointed
President of Board of Bhopal Municipality 1914/-, Ch.
Sec. Bhopal Government 1916, Finance Minister Bhopal,
Hon. A.D.C. to the Viceroy of India 1922, A.D.C. to
HRH the Prince of Wales 1922, President of the General
Council (Daly College) 1940/1942; married 1stly, 5th
September 1905, HH Maimuna Sultan Shah Banu Begum
Sahiba, born 1900, died 1982, married 2ndly, about
1948, Aftab Jahan, and had issue. He died 4th February
1960 at Bhopal.
- Nawab Gauhar-e-Taj Abida Sultan Begam Sahiba,
born 28th August 1913, Pakistani Ambassador to
Brazil, President of the Karachi Council, Muslim
League, married 1933 (separated 1934), HH Nawab
Sarwar Ali Khan of Kurwai,
and had issue. She died 11th May 2002 in Karachi.
- HH Nawab Begum Mehr-e-Taj Sajjida Sultan (qv).
- Nawabzadi Taj Dulhan Qamar-e-Taj Rabia Sultan,
born 21st November 1916, married Agha Mirza, and had
issue. She died April 2000.
- Nawabzada Nasir Mirza, married and has
- Sahibzadi Faiza Sultan, born 1945,
married Sardar Akbar khan, and has issue.
- Sardar Taimur Khan
- Sardar Nadir Khan
- HH Nawab Begum
Mehr-e-Taj Sajjida Sultan, 16th Nawab Begum
of Bhopal 1960/- , born 4th August 1915, married 1938,
Nawab Muhammed Iftikhar Ali Khan of Pataudi, and had issue,
one son and three daughters.
- Nawab Mansur Ali Khan, Nawab of Pataudi.
- HH Nawab Begum Saleha Sultan (qv)
- Nawabzadi Qudsia Sultaan Begum Saheba
- Nawabzadi Sabiha Sultaan Begum Saheba
- HH Nawab Begum Saleha Sultan (see above)
- Capt. Israr Mohammad Khan Sahib Bahadur, descended
from the founder of Bhopal, born 1890, Sahib Bahadur
[cr.1931], ADC to the Nawab of Bhopal in 1937, awarded
the Coronation Medal in 1937, married and had issue.
- Hafiz Mohammad Khan
- Aziz Mohammad Khan, educated at Aligarh
- Anwar Mohammad Khan, educated at Military
Academy, Dehra Dun.
- Ahrar Mohammad Khan
- Sardar Muazzam Mohammed Khan, born 18th September
1894, educated in Bhopal, cousin of Nawab Iftikhar Ali
Khan of Jaora on mother's side.