LOCATION: Madhya Pradesh AREA: 2,926.7 kmē VILLAGES: 421 + 1 town (1901)POPULATION: 161,267 (1931) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 9,55,000 (1938) DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Ponwar (Parmar) SEAT: xx ACCESSION: 1st January 1950
AGENCY: Bundelkhand Agency PRIVY PURSE: Rs 5,20,000
STATE MOTTO: "Agni pratāp vishweshah" meaning "As Fire Resplendent, Lord of the World"
PRESENT RULER: HH Maharaja VIKRAM SINGH Bahadur, 6th Maharaja of Chhatarpur since 2006.
member of the Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly for Chhatarpur Seat 2003/2008 and for Rajnagar Seat since 2008.
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: The state was founded in 1785 by Kunwar Sone Shah, a retainer of Maharaja Hindupat Singh of Panna. The Raja maintains a military force of 39 cavalry, 814 infantry, and 39 guns, and is entitled to a salute of 11 guns (in 1893). The rulers were..
- Raja SONE SHAH, 1st Raja of Chhatarpur 1785/1816, a Sardar of the Panna Raj, who was in military possession of the Chhatarpur jagir when the British acquired Bundelkhand, he was granted a sanad by the British Government in 1806, during his life, he built a temple at Ajodhia and a kunj at Brindaban, he also built temples at Chitrakut and Rajnagar; married and had issue, four sons as well as one illegitimate son. He died 4th May 1816 aged 75 and was cremated at Chhatarpur.
- Raja Pratap Singh Bahadur, eldest son (qv)
- Kunwar Prithi Singh of Rajgarh, married and had issue.
- Kunwar Kunjal Singh
- Kunwar Hindupat Singh of Aktohan
- Kunwar Bakhat Singh of Sahania, made over his jagir to his brother and received a cash allowance of Rs2,250 monthly, married and had issue.
- Kunwar Jit Singh, married and had issue.
- Kunwar Balwant Singh, married and had issue. He died before 1907.
- Lalla Kishore Singh
- Lalla Keshi Singh
- Lalla Debi Singh
- Lalla Mohan Singh
- Raja Jagat Raj Singh Bahadur (qv)
- Diwan Sattarjit Singh, he died after 1906.
- Lalla Umrao Singh, married and had issue. He died after 1906.
- Lalla Bijai Singh
- Kunwar Madho Singh, married and had issue. He died before 1907.
- Lalla Mahum Singh
- Lalla Jujhar Singh
- Lalla Pahar Singh, he died after 1906.
- Lalla Raghubir Singh
- Kunwar Sajan Singh
- Kunwar Harai Singh
- Kunwar Hira Singh (illegitimate)
- Yuvaraj Kamod singh, died vpsp in 1830 aged 28 years.
- (A) Raja Jagat
Raj Singh Bahadur (q)
- HH Maharaja Sir Vishwanath Singh Bahadur (qv)
- HH Maharaja Bhawani Singh Bahadur (by 2nd marriage) (qv)
- Shrimati Baiju Raja Sahiba
- Yuvaraj Balwant Singh, married Yuvrani Kumkum Kumari, daughter of HH Maharaja Mahendra Narendra Singh Ju Deo Bahadur of Panna, and his wife, HH Maharani Durga Rajya Laxmi Devi, and had issue, one son and one daughter. He died 1990.
- HH Maharaja Vikram Singh Bahadur (qv)
- Yuvarani Padam Kanwar, married Yuvaraj Shri
Deovrat Singh of Khairagarh.
- Kunwar Karan Singh Panwar
- Raja Govind Singhji Parmar, married and had issue.
- Thakurani Sharmila Kumari, married Thakur Girver
Sen Rathore of Pisangan,
and has issue.