|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Traditionally, the Chota Nagpur Raj was founded by
Maharaja Fani Mukut Rai, in 64 A.D.(#2) He married the
daughter of the Raja of Panchkot and was ancestor of the
rulers of the Raj until independence. It was reduced to
the status of a Zamindari by the British in 1817. Rulers
- Raja DURJAN SAL,
48th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1599/1640, he was defeated
in battle by Fateh Jang Ibrahim Khan, Governor of
Bihar in 1616, then imprisoned and finally released in
- Raja RAGHUNATH SHAH,
49th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1640/1690
- Raja RAM SHAH,
50th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1690/1715
- Raja YADUNATH SHAH,
51st Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1715/1724, married and had
- Raja Shivnath Shah (qv)
- Raja Udai Nath Shah (qv)
- Raja Shyamsundar Nath Shah (qv)
- Raja Balram Nath Shah (qv)
- Raja SHIVNATH SHAH,
52nd Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1724/1733
- Raja UDAI NATH SHAH,
53rd Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1733/1740
- Raja SHYAM SUNDAR
SHAH, 54th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1740/1745
- Raja BALRAM NATH
SHAH, 55th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1745/1748,
married and had issue.
- Raja MAHINATH SHAH,
56th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1748/1762
- Raja DHUPNATH SHAH,
57th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1762/1790, married and had
- Raja DEO NATH SHAH,
58th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1790/1806, married and had
- Raja Govind Nath Shah (qv)
- Raja GOVIND NATH
SHAH Deo, 59th Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1806/1817
[?married and had issue]
- Maharaja Jagannath Shah Deo (qv)
- Maharajkumar (name
unknown) Shah Deo, married and had issue.
- Kumar Upendra Nath Sahi Deo [aka Burra
- Maharaja JAGANNATH
SHAH Deo, 60th Raja of Chota-Nagpur
1817/1872, born about 1800, married and had issue. He
died 1869 or 1872.
- Maharaja Udai Pratap Nath Shah Deo (qv)
- Manjhil Lal Sri later Maharaja Kumar Jagat
Mohan Nath Sahi Deo, Raja of Tori, born in April
1866, he was granted the pargana of Tori by his
father in 1867 (#3),
married and had issue.
- Pattayet Rani Rajlakshmi Devi of Tori (Ratu),
married Pattayet Prasun Ganga Deb of Bamra, died 12th
September 2008 in New Delhi, and had issue, one
son and two daughters.
- Maharaja UDAI PRATAP NATH SAHI Deo,
61st Raja of Chota-Nagpur 1872/1950, born 23rd March
1866, title recognized as hereditary in 1872 (#1), in 1900,
he built the famous Ratu Palace in Ranchi in 1900, he
was conferred the Kaiser-e-Hind
Medal for public services; he granted the title of
"Raja" to famous business tycoon Mr. G.D. Birla of the
Birla group, for Kero Laat; he donated 320 acres of
land to G.E.L. Church, Ranchi (Jharkhand) and a
further 17 acres of land for the construction of
Ranchi Club, Ranchi; married 1stly, 1881, Rajkumari
Mohan Kumari, died 1905, daughter of Maharaja Udit
Narayan Singh Deo, Raja of Seraikella, married
2ndly, Maharani Saudamani Devi, daughter of Ram Kanhai
Singh of Barabhum Estate, and had issue, eight sons
and two daughters. He died 1950.
- Yuvaraj Neeladhri Nath Shah Deo, born 1882,
married 1901, Rajkumari Girish Nandini Devi,
daughter of Raja Pratap Rudra Singh Deo of Sonepur, and had
issue. He died 1905.
- Yuvaraj Kali Sharan Nath Shah Deo, born 1902,
married 1925, Maharaj Mata Baidehi Devi of Bada
Khemundi, and had issue. He died 1932.
- Rani Parvati Devi, born 1926, married 1947,
Raja Padmanabh Singh Deo of Dharakote. She
- Rani Bhuvneshwari Devi, born 1927, married
1951, Raja Awadesh Pratap Mall of Majhauli
estate. She died 1986.
- Maharaja Chintamani Saran Nath Shah Deo (qv)
- Kumar Shyama Sharan Nath Shah Deo, born 1905,
died unmarried 1925.
- Maharajkumar Yugal Kishore Nath Shah Deo, born
1883, married 1903, Kumari Girija Devi of Bijaipur,
U.P., and had issue. He died 1947.
- Kumar Jagdish Prasann Nath Shah Deo, born 1910,
married Kumarani Hom Kumari Devi of Nepal, and had
issue, one daughter and two sons. He died 2004.
- Kumari Seeta Devi
- Kumar Jai Kumar Nath Shah Deo, born 1929,
married and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Kumari Kavita
Devi, born 1959.
- Kumar Amar Nath
Shah Deo, born 1962.
- Kumar Vijai Kumar Nath Shah Deo, born 1931.
- Maharajkumar Braj Kishore Nath Shah Deo, born
1885, married 1903, Kumari Durga Devi of Bijaipur
estate, U.P., and had issue, two sons. He died 1936.
- Kumar Tara Prasann Nath Shahdeo, born 1905,
married and had issue, one daughter. He died 1946.
- Kumari Usha Devi, born 1945, married to Late
Major V.R. Singh (Agra).
- Kumar Shashi Pasann Nath Shahdeo, born 1907, he
died unmarried in 1970.
- Maharajkumar Nand Kishore Nath Shah Deo, born
1887, married 1stly, 1903, Kumari (name unknown)
of Bijaipur estate, U.P., had issue, one daughter,
married 2ndly, 1919, Kumari (name unknown)
of Khariyal, Orissa, had issue, seven children, four
sons and four daughter, and had issue. He died 1950.
- Kumari Siddheshwari Devi(by 1st wife), married
in Pacchagachia (Bihar).
- Kumari Maheshwari Devi
- Kumar Bhanu Pratap Deo, he was adopted to Kanker
estate, and succeeded there as Maharajadhiraj
Bhanu Pratap Deo, Maharaja of Kanker.
- Kumar Arun Nath Shahdeo
- Kumari Sureshwari Devi
- Kumari Kamla Devi
- Kumar Ravindra Nath Shahdeo, married Rajkumari
Usha Devi, fifth daughter of Raja Chandra Bhanu
Deb of Aul, and
his wife, Rani Ramraj Kumari Pattamahadei, and has
issue, two sons.
- Kunwar Shivendra Nath Shah Deo, married in
Khariar, and has issue, one son.
- Kunwar Samarendra Nath Shah Deo, married in
Lakhanpur, and has one daughter.
- Kumar Tribhuwan Nath Shahdeo, he was a sportsman
of repute; he married Rajkumari Savitiri Devi (+),
second daughter of Raja Chandra Bhanu Deb of Aul, and his wife,
Rani Ramraj Kumari Pattamahadei, and had issue,
- Maharajkumar Gopeshwar Nath Shah Deo, born 1889,
married 1924, Kumari Alanga Manjari Devi of Dugni,
Jharkhand, and had issue, one son. He died 1953.
- Kumar Rameshwar Nath Shahdeo, born 1939, B.Com.
(1992), married Kumari Padmini Devi of Dugni,
Jharkhand, and had issue, two sons and one
daughter. He died 1996.
- Kumari Sarita Devi
- Col. Kumar Sanjai Nath Shahdeo, married to
Kumar Rani Padmini Devi, daughter of Rajkumar
Pattayet Matru Prasad Singh Deo of Dhenkanal, and
his wife, Pattayet Rani Basanti Devi, and has
issue, two daughters.
- Kumari Akansha
- Kumari Anukriti
- Kumar Ajai Nath Shahdeo, born 1971; Deputy
Mayor of Ranchi Municipal Corporation.
- Maharajkumar Asheshwar Nath Shah Deo, born 1890,
married 1stly, 1926, Kumari Naresh Nandini Devi, had
issue, one daughter, married 2ndly, 1931, Kumari
Indumati Devi of Seraikella, had issue, three
children, and had issue. He died 1942.
- Kumari Chanchla Devi (by 1st wife)
- Kumari Parul Devi
- Kumari Sarswati Devi
- Kumar Santosh Nath Shahdeo, married Kumarani
Ambae Devi, daughter of Shri K. B. N. Singh
(former Chief Justice of Patna and Madras High
Court) of Kulharia, Bihar and has issue.
- Kumari Aparajita Devi, married to Kumar Rajiv
Singh, Advocate Patna, Bihar
- Kumar Sumit Nath Shahdeo
- Maharajkumar Raj Kishore Nath Shah Deo, born 1892,
married 1926, Kumari Saudamani Devi of Bamra, and
had issue. He died 1989.
- Kumar Dinamani Nath Shahdeo, born 1930, married
Kumari Krishna Kumari of Bamra, and has issue.
- Kumar Rajesh Nath Shahdeo, born 1964.
- Kuman Mani Deepa Shahdeo, married 29th
February 2004 in Ranchi, Capt. Kunwar
Bharatendra Singh Parihar of Nagod, born 31st
August 1971 in Dahod, Gujrat; educated at the
University of Delhi (B.Com. with Hons.) and at
Bond University, Gold Coast, Q.L.D., Australia
(M.B.A.), presently serving as a Captain in the
Indian Territorial Army, and has issue, one
- Kumari Shivranjini Parihar, born 20th
November 2004 at Kolkatta, India.
- Kumari Bimleshwari Devi, born 1935, married to
Kumar Suresh Singh Chandel, I.A.S. Giddhaur,
- Maharajkumari Ghanshyam Devi, born 1895, married
1915, Raja Jang Bahadur Singh of Amethi. She died sp in 1946.
- Maharajkumari Durga Devi, born 1899, married 1920,
Maharaja Ramanuj Pratap Singh Deo of Korea, and had issue,
four sons. She died 1963.
- Maharajkumar Jai Kishore Nath Shah Deo (by
Maharani Saudamani Devi), born in Ratu Palace,
married Kumari Namita Devi of Makalpur Zamindari in
Hoogli Dist., West Bengal, and had issue.
- Kumari Meenakshi Singh
- Kumar Jayant Nath Shahdeo M.B.A.
- Kumari Enakshi Singh
- Kumari Dr. Kamlakshi Shahdeo (U.S.A.)
- Maharaja CHINTAMANI SARAN
NATH SHAH DEO, 62nd Raja of Chota-Nagpur,
Zamindar of Ratu (Chota Nagpur) 1950/2014, born 14th
December 1931, educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur;
elected as the youngest independent M.L.A. from Bihar
in 1957; he contested as Independent from the Ranchi
Assembly constituency (Hatia was part of greater
Ranchi constituency till 1974) in the 1950's, later,
he was elected to Bihar Legislative Council as
Congress candidate; Member of South Eastern Railway
Board for many years; Life Senator of Ranchi
University (Jharkhand); Chairman of Small Scale
Industrial Board (Bihar); Presently life time
President of Mata
Anandmayee Ashram, Ranchi (Jharkhand); Life
Member, Ranchi Mental Hospital, Ranchi (Jharkhand); he
is a renowned social worker of Jharkhand, and has
donated land for several educational institutions in
Jharkhand, including having donated the whole of the
land of Kartik Orain College Gumla, (Jharkhand),
the land of Adivasi Bal Vikas Vidyalaya, Ratu, Ranchi
(Jharkhand), the land for Maharani Prem Manjari Devi
Super Speciality Hospital, Ratu, he also built and
donated land for the Maharani Prem Manjari Devi
College for girls, Ratu, Jharkhand, donated land for
Idgah Assi, Varanasi (U.P.), donated all the land for
Ratu Block Karyalaya, Jharkhand, donated land for
establishment of Ratu Thana (Jharkhand), donated all
the land for Kartik Orain Degree College, Ratu, Ranchi
for the education of children; married 1952, Maharani
Prem Manjari Devi (Photo), died 1986,
daughter of Raja Bhanuganga Tribhuban Deb, Raja of Bamra, and his wife, Rani
Jyoti Manjari Devi, and had issue, one son and four
daughters. He died 10th July 2014.
- Maharajkumari Madhuri Manjari Devi, born 1953,
married 1973, married the Late Yuvraj Saheb Sharad
Chandra Padma Saran Shah of Vijaigarh, (Sonebhadra
U.P.), and has issue, two daughters and one son.
- HH Maharani Ira Kumari, born 1st February
1974 in Varanasi, married 29th January 2001 in
New Delhi, HH Maharaj Rana Chandrajit Singh of Jhalawar, and
has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Kunwarani Manisha Singh, married to
Kunwar Rishi Raj Singh of Dungarpur (Rajasthan).
- Raja Chandra Vikram Padma Saran Shah,
Raja of Vijaigarh, married Rani Vaishnavi Singh,
daughter of Kunwar D.P. Singh [Ajai], M.L.A.,
and his wife, Kunwarani Krishna Singh of
Khajurgaon, Rai Bareli U.P.
- Maharajkumari Kalpana Kumari Devi [Rani Kalpana
Singh of Galgalha], born 1954, married 1974 in
Galgalha, U.P., Raja Rakesh Pratap Singh, Taluqdar
estate, Unnao U.P., and has issue, one son.
- Shri Aadesh Pratap Singh, married
to Jemamoni Smita Devi, daughter of late Raut
Rai A.C. Deb of Talcher
- Maharajkumari Tripti Manjari Devi, born 1958,
married 1978, Kunwar Prashant Deo Singh of Bijwa
estate, Lakhimpur, U.P.
- Maharajkumari Gayatri Manjari Devi, born 1963,
married 1981, Kunwar Madhvendra Singh of Narauli,
Dist. Sambhal, U.P., and has issue, one daughter and
- Kumari Priyanka Singh
- Kunwar Kaushlendra Singh [Raghav],
married Kumari Swarna Manjari Devi, daughter of
Lalsaheb Nirmal Chandra Bhanj Deo of Mayurbhanj.
- Yuvaraj Sahib Gopal Saran Nath Shahdeo, born 1969,
Member of the Legislative Assembly of Jharkhand, he
represented Hatia Assembly twice as a Congress
candidate; married 1989, Yuvrani Priyadarshini Devi
Shahdeo, born 1971, daughter of Raja Mahendra Pratap
Singh of Shankargarh, Allahabad U.P. He died sp in
- Princess of Chota-Nagpur, married 1893, Sri Sri Sri
Maharaja Vikram Deo IV Azem Maharaja Yujad
ud-daula Mahabat Assar Yedal Yemeenay Salatnut
Samsamay Killapathay Islam Sri Jhadkhand Badusha,
Maharaja of Jeypore, and had issue.
Special thanks to
Shri Aadesh Pratap Singh and Kumar Santosh Nath
Shahdeo for providing valuable information regarding
Chota Nagpur Raj (Jharkand).
- Princess of Chota-Nagpur (Ratu), married (as his
second wife), Rajkumar Brajendra Narayan Singh Deo of