|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
A Princely State located east of Palanpur in North Eastern
Gujarat. It paid tribute of 3,983Rs to either Palanpur or
Idar. The Maharana maintains a military force of 70
cavalry and 67 infantry (in 1893). The founder of the
state was devoted to the goddess, Ambika Mata, who
rewarded him for his devotion by granting him 760 villages
at Arasur to rule, after his original capital at Nagar
Tatta in Sindh was overrun by Muslims. Rulers were...
- Rana Shri JASRAJI,
Shri of Arasur 1068/1069, he was a descendant of Raja
Dharni Varah, the first ruler of Sind, initially he was the Raja of
Sind, but was forced by increasing Muslim incursions to move and settle
at Mount Arasur; married and had issue.
- Rana Shri Kedarsinhji (qv)
- Rana Shri KEDARSINHJI, 2nd
Rana Shri of Tarsanghmo 1069/- , in 1069 he killed the
Bhil Chief of Tarsanghmo and fixed his capital there;
married and had issue.
- Rana Shri JASPALJI, 3rd Rana
Shri of Tarsanghmo
- Rana Shri JAGATPALJI, Rana
Shri of Tarsanghmo 1395/1445, he recovered Tarsanghmo
after it had been taken by the Muslims at an unknown
- Rana Shri KANARDEVJI, Rana
Shri of Tarsanghmo, he was sixth in descent from Rana
Jagatpalji; his brother Amboji conquered the territory
of Kotara; married 1stly, Maharani Jhaliji from
Halvad, married 2ndly, Maharani Ratan Kunveri of
Mewar, and had issue, two sons. He was killed in a
scuffle with his brother in 1445.
- Maharana Shri ASKARANJI, 1st
Mahrana Shri of Tarsanghmo 1445/-, the state was
attacked by Rao Bhanji of Idar after hearing of the
death of the two brothers in 1445, the Rao petitioned
Sultan Muhammed II of Ahmedabad (1441/1451) for help
who sent an army against the Rao of Idar, destroying
his fort, they then secured Tarsanghmo and turned it
over to the young Rana, he received the title of
Maharana and a Dress of Honour from Imperial Delhi for
sheltering one of Akbar's sons; married and had issue,
- Maharana Shri Vaghji Askaranji (qv)
- Maharana Shri Jaimalji Askaranji (qv)
- Maharajkumar Pratapsinhji Askaranji
- Mahrana Shri VAGHJI ASKARANJI, 2nd
Mahrana Shri of Tarsanghmo -/1544, he offended the Rao
of Idar who attacked Tarsanghmo and imprisoned or
- Mahrana Shri JAIMALJI ASKARANJI, Mahrana
Shri of Danta 1544/ca1545, he too was beset by the Rao
of Idar, who utterly destroyed Tarsanghmo and the Rana
feld to Danta, which became the new capital; married
and had issue. He died 1544/1545.
- Maharana Shri Jetmalji Jaimalji (qv)
- Mahrana Shri JETMALJI JAIMALJI, 3rd
Mahrana Shri of Danta ca1545/-; married and had issue.
- Maharana Shri Jaisinhji Jetmalji (qv)
- Maharana Shri Punjasinhji Jetmalji (qv)
- Maharana Shri
JAISINHJI JETMALJI, Maharana Shri of Danta,
he offended the nobles of the state and they replaced
him with his younger brother; he then retired to his
villages of Gangwa and Mankari.
- Maharana Shri
PUNJASINHJI JETMALJI, Maharana Shri of Danta,
he was a successful ruler, establishing several claims
over neighboring lands, married and had issue, three
- Maharana Shri Mansinhji I Punjasinhji (qv)
- Maharajkumar Amarsinhji Punjasinhji, he was
granted the estate of Sudasana.
- Maharajkumar Dhengoji Punjasinhji, he was granted
the estate of Gancheru
- Mahrana Shri MANSINHJI I PUNJASINHJI,
Mahrana Shri of Danta for five years, married and had
issue, two sons.
- Maharana Shri Gajsinhji Mansinhji (qv)
- Maharajkumar Jasvoji Mansinhji aka Jaswantsinghji, he was granted the
estate of Ranpur in 1682, and later succeeded to the estate
of Sudasana, as
well as acquiring Vasai and Jaspur-Chelanu
- Mahrana Shri GAJSINHJI MANSINHJI,
Mahrana Shri of Danta -/1687; married 1stly, Vahuji
Shri Anand Kunwar, committed sati
on Sunday, Marghsirsh sudi 9th, 1743 Samvat, married
2ndly, Vahuji Shri Vaghela Rupali Anand Kanwar,
committed sati on Sunday,
Marghsirsh sudi 9th, 1743 Samvat, married 3rdly, Vahuji Shri
Bhatianiji Anop Kanwar of Jaisalmer, committed sati on Sunday,
Marghsirsh sudi 9th, 1743 Samvat, and had issue, as well as
- Maharana Shri Prithvisinhji Gajsinhji (qv)
- Maharajkuumar Viramdevji Gajsinhji, he was granted
the estate of Nagel.
- (A) Thakore
Shri Sardarsinhji Jasvoji, he was adopted at a
time when the Maharana was childless, but afterwards a son
and heir was born to the Maharana and he was compensated by a
number villages and eventually succeeded to
- Maharana Sri PRITHVISINHJI GAJSINHJI,
Maharana of Danta 1687/1743, during his reign the army
of Damaji Gaekwad of Baroda attacked Danta and had to
bought off by a large sum of money in tribute; an
attack by Haider Quli Khan, Viceroy of Gujarat
(1721/1722) was repulsed; married 1stly, Vahuji Shri
Devri Phul Kunvar, she committed sati on Monday, Shrawan sudi 2nd,
married 2ndly, Vahuji Shri Vaghela Sardar Kunvar of
Pethapur, she committed sati on Monday, Shrawan sudi 2nd,
and had issue, seven sons, all died vp. He died 1743
and was succeeded by his nephew.
- Maharana Sri VIKRAMDEOJI,
?Maharana of Danta in 1743
- Maharana Sri KARANSINHJI,
Maharana of Danta 1743/-, he quarrelled with his chief
minister who with the aid of the Thakore of Sudasna
forced the Maharana to flee only recovering the gadi with the
help of the Diwan of Palanpur two years later; married
and had issue.
- Maharana Sri Ratansinhji Karansinhji (qv)
- Maharana Sri Abhaisinhji Karansinhji (qv)
- Maharana Sri RATANSINHJI KARANSINHJI,
Maharana of Danta for five years
- Maharana Sri ABHAISINHJI KARANSINHJI,
Maharana of Danta -/1795, married and had issue. He
- Maharana Sri Mansinhji Abhaisinhji (qv)
- Maharana Sri Jagatsinhji Abhaisinhji (qv)
- Maharana Sri Naharsinhji Abhaisinhji (qv)
- Maharana Sri MANSINHJI II ABHAISINHJI,
Maharana of Danta 1795/1800, he was a vigorous ruler
and increased the power of the state. He died 1800.
- Maharana Sri JAGATSINHJI ABHAISINHJI,
Maharana of Danta 1800/1823, he too was a vigorous
ruler who managed to punish Bhil cattle stealers and
exact tribute from several villages. He died sp of a fever in
- Maharana Sri NAHARSINHJI ABHAISINHJI,
Maharana of Danta 1823/1847, married and had issue.
- Maharana Shri Jhalamsinhji Naharsinhji (qv)
- Maharana Sri Harisinhji Naharsinhji (qv)
- Rani Daulat Kunwar, married 1834 (as his sixth
wife), Maharao Shri Sheo Singhji of Sirohi, and had issue.
- Maharana Sri JHALAMSINHJI NAHARSINHJI,
Maharana of Danta 1847/1859, married and had issue.
- Maharana Sri Sardarsinhji Jhalamsinhji (qv)
- Maharajkumari Guman Kumari [HH Maharani Guman
Kunwar of Sirohi], married in May 1876 (as his first
wife), HH Maharao Kesari Singhji Bahadur of Sirohi, and had issue.
She died 24th April 1899.
- Maharana Sri SARDARSINHJI JHALAMSINHJI,
Maharana of Danta 1859/1860
- Maharana Sri HARISINHJI NAHARSINHJI,
Maharana of Danta 1860/1876, born 1817, married and
had issue. He died in December 1876.
- Maharana Sri Jashwantsinghji Harisinhji (qv)
- Maharana Sri JASHWANTSINHJI
HARISINGHJI, Maharana of Danta 1876/1908,
born 14th October 1850, succeeded 1st December 1876 (#1), married and had issue. He died 1908.
- HH Maharana Sri Hamirsingji Jashwantsinghji (qv)
- Maharajkumar Fatehsinghji Jashwantsinghji, married
and had issue, three daughters.
- Rani Saheba Sajjan Kanwar, married (as his first
wife), Maharaj Govardhan Singhji Sahib of Nachana
She died sp.
- Kumari (name unknown), married Maharaj
Kishore Singhji of Banswara.
- Kumari (name unknown) [Pratap Kumari??],
married to Nimach [Thakur Daulat Singhji of Nimaj??].
- Maharaj Dalpatsinghji Jashwantsinghji, born 17th
August 1880 (#4 p.31),
married and had issue. He died on 24th July 1944.
- Maharaj Shri Prithvisinhji Dalpatsinghji, born
3rd January 1905 (#4 p.31),
educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; Naib Dewan of Danta State; recipient of the Silver Jubilee Medal (1935); married and had issue, five sons.
- Maharaj Shri Mayurdhvajsinhji Parmar
- Maharaj Shri Kishansinji Parmar
- Maharaj Shri Himmatsinhji Parmar
- Maharaj Shri Madansinhji Parmar
- Maharaj Shri Bhagvatsinhji Parmar
- Rajkumar Shri Narayansinhji Dalpatsinghji, born
8th January 1907 (#4 p.31),
educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; Revenue Commissioner of Danta State; recipient of the Silver Jubilee Medal (1935);
- Maharajkumari (name
unknown) Kumari, married as his second
wife, HH Sri Raj-i-Rajan Maharawal Sir Prithvi
Singhji Bahadur of Banswara,
and had issue.
- HH Maharana Sri HAMIRSINHJI
JASHWANTSINHJI, Maharana of Danta 1908/1925,
born 20th December 1869, succeeded 16th June 1908; he
was granted a salute of 9 guns in 1921; married HH
Maharani Bhoor Kanwar [later Rajmata Bhoor Kanwar
Bhatianiji of Danta], born 1878, died on 25th October
1945, daughter of Thakur Laxman Singh of Munpura (see
Jakhan), and his wife,
Thakurani Kumpawatiji, and had issue. He died 1925.
- HH Maharana Sri Bhawanisinhji Hamirsinhji (qv)
- Maharaj Shri Balwantsinhji Hamirsinhji, married
and had issue. He died before 1937.
- Rajkumar Shri Laxmansinhji Balwantsinhji, born
27th March 1925 (#4 p.31).
- HH Maharana Sri BHAWANISINHJI HAMIRSINHJI
Sahib Bahadur K.C.S.I., Maharana of Danta
1925/1948 (abdicated 30th January 1948), born 12th (#4 p.31) or 13th September
1899 (#3 p.300)(#5 p.6) and
succeeded to the gadi
on 20th November 1925 (#2)(#3 p.300) or 10th March 1926 (#5 p.6), educated at Mayo
College, Ajmer; Member of the Chamber of Princes; he was granted an enhanced gun salute
of 11 guns about 1935; he was created a K.C.S.I. in
2nd January 1939 (#3 p.300);
married 1stly, 1914, HH Maharani Vijay Kanwar, born
1897, died sp
in 1923, daughter of Maharaj Shri Mool Singhji of Raoti, Rao of Dattigaon,
and his third wife, Rani Sundar Kanwar, married 2ndly,
HH Maharani (name
unknown) Sahiba, died spm in 1923, a daughter of Raja
Bhagwant Raj Bahadur Singh, Raja of Sohawal in Bundelkhand,
married 3rdly, HH Maharani Champawatiji (name unknown) Sahiba, a daughter of Kunwar
Pratap Singh of Auwa in
Jodhpur, and had issue, three sons and seven
daughters. He died 1961.
- HH Maharana Sri Prithvirajsinhji Bhawanisinhji
Sahib Bahadur (qv)
- Maharajkumari Jitendra Kumari (by Maharani
Baghelji Sahiba), born 1918, married (as his first
wife), 19th May 1937 at Danta, Raja Ram Singh of Khandela-Senior, and
had issue. She died sp on 19th August 1944 at Danta.
- Rani Krishna Kumari (fourth daughter), married
1945, Raja Devi Singhji, Raja Sahib of Asope, and had issue,
two sons and four daughters. She died 1995.
- Maharajkumar Madhu Sudan Singh, born 30th May
1933 (#5 p.10), married Rajkumari Jagjitindra Kumari, daughter
of Raja Jagganath Singh, Raja of Daulatpur, and his
second wife, a daughter of Raja Sahib Sir Ranbir
Singhji of Patiala
and had issue.
- Rajkumari Hemangini Kumari, married Kumar Shri
Digvijaysinh Jadeja of Mengani Estate in Rajkot,
Gujarat, and has issue, two sons.
- Kumar Shri Arjunsinh Digvijaysinhji
- Kumar Shri Rajsinh Digvijaysinhji
- Rajkumari Gitanjali Kumari, married in
Uttarakhand, and has issue, one daughter.
- Rajkumar Harshwardhan Singh, married Rajkumarani
Vrinda Kumari of Gorad, and has issue.
- Maharajkumar Shri Raghubir Singhji Saheb, born 4th
December 1934 (#5 p.10), married and has issue.
- Rajkumar Paramveersinh
- Rajkumari Katyani Singh
- Maharajkumari (name
unknown) Kumari, married Thakur Govind Sen
Rathore of Pisangan,
and has issue.
Maharana Sri PRITHVIRAJSINHJI BHAWANISINHJI Sahib Bahadur,
Maharana of Danta 1948/1989, born 22nd July 1928 (#3 p.301)(#4
p.31), recipient of the Silver Jubilee Medal (1935); married 30th January 1948, HH Maharani
Hemant Kumari, daughter of HH Rai-i-Rayan Maharawal
Shri Sir Lakshman Singhji Bahadur of Dungarpur, and his second
wife, HH Maharani Manhar Kunwar, and had issue, five sons and three daughters. He
died 10th July 1989.
- HH Maharana Sri Mahipendra Singh Sahib Bahadur
- Maharaj Shri Mayurdhwajsinhji Prithvirajsinhji Parmar
- Maharaj Shri Kishansinhji Prithvirajsinhji Parmar
- Maharaj Shri Madansinhji Prithvirajsinhji Parmar
- Maharaj Shri Himmatsinhji Prithvirajsinhji Parmar
- Maharaj Shri Bhagvatsinhji Prithvirajsinhji Parmar of Danta Bhavangadh.
- HH Maharana Sri MAHIPENDRA SINGH Sahib Bahadur,
present Maharana of Danta (see above)
The help of Deepak Aggarwal is gratefully
acknowledged, June 2011.