|PREDECESSORS and SHORT
HISTORY: The first recorded member of this
family was Theophilus Gardner of Coleraine, who was
succeeded by his son William Gardner of Coleraine. Members
- Lt.-Col. William Gardner, born 24th March 1691, son
of William Gardner of Coleraine (son of Theophilus
Gardner of Coleraine), married 7th December 1729,
Elizabeth ffarington, born 1708, died 16th August
1783, daughter and co-Heir of Valentine ffarington of
Preston, son of George ffarington of Shaw Hall, and
had issue. He died 14th August 1762.
- Maj. James Valentine Gardner, born 6th May 1739,
married 1stly, 1762, Alida Livingstone, born 15th
December 1747, died September 1791, 3rd daughter of
Col. Robert Livingstone, and his wife, Mary Thong,
married 2ndly, 1st December 1792, Frances Holworthy,
and had issue.
- Lt.-Col. William Linnaeus Gardner, born 1770,
Commandant Gardner's Horse, Local Lieutenant
Colonel 1819, resigned 1828, served under Lord
Moira at Quiberon in 1795; joined 30 Ft. in India
in 1796. Entered the service of Jaswant Rao Holker
in 1798, and raised and commanded a Brigade of
Infantry for him. Afterwards entered service of
Amrit Rao at Poona. Joined Lord Lake in 1804.
Raised at Farrukhabad and Mainpuri in 1809 the
famous cavalry corps known as "Gardner's Horse."
Served in Nepal and Rajputana, and in Arakan in
1825 during the First Burma War. He was rewarded
in 1822 with an unattached Majority in H.M.S.,
antedated to 25th September 1803, married by
Muslim rites in about 1796, Nawab Mah
Manzilunnissa Begum Dehlivi, aged 13, a princess
of Cambai, afterwards adopted as daughter by
Padshah Akbar Shah, Emperor of Delhi, died 31st
August 1835 at Khasganj, and had issue. He died
29th July 1835 at Khasganj, United Provinces.
- Alan Gardner, married Bibi Sahiba Hinga Begum,
and had issue. He died 30th January 1828.
- Susan Gardner [Sabia Begum], married Mirza
Anjan Shikoh, son of Shahzada Mirza Suleiman
Shikoh of the Delhi
Imperial Family, and had issue.
- Jane Shekoh, married
12th March 1879, Hon. Alan Hyde Gardner,
4th Baron Gardner, de jure, (see below),
and had issue. She died 12th June 1891.
- Jane Gardner [Hurmoozee Begum], married 28th
August 1834, Stewart William Gardner, born
18th August 1812, son of Francis ffarington
Gardner, and his wife, Catherine van
Straubenzee (see below), died 20th July 1882,
and had issue. She died 15th June 1869.
- James Valentine Gardner, Local Lieutenant,
d.d. Gardners Horse in December 1817, Taluqdar
and Zamindar, married 1stly, Bibi Sahiba Banoo,
married 2ndly, ca 1834, Mulka Hamani Begum,
daughter of Shahzada Mirza Suleiman Shikoh of
the Delhi Imperial
Family, and had issue. He died 14th June 1845 at
Chhaoni, United Provinces.
- Valentine Gardne, born 1794, married Alida Scot,
daughter of Captain Scott, and had issue.
- Henry Gardner, died 1740.
- Hon. Alan Gardner (qv)
- William Gardner of Liverpool, he died unmarried in
- Col. Henry Farington Gardner, born 1st July 1747,
died unmarried on 20th July 1792.
- Anne Gardner, married Thomas Dixon of
- Sarah Gardner, married Henry Humphreys of London.
- Dorothy Gardner, married 1stly, 1772, Robert
Barrie, married 2ndly, George Clayton of Lostock
- Agnes Gardner
- Elizabeth Gardner
- Mildred Gardner, died unmarried.
- Margareta Gardner, died unmarried in 1777.
- Hon. Alan Gardner,
1st Baron Gardner of Uttoxeter, born 12th
February (April?) 1742, married 20th May 1769 in
Kingston, Jamaica, Susannah Hyde Gale, born 3rd May
1749 in Jamaica, died 20th April 1823 in London,
buried 28th April 1823 in St. James' Chapel,
Westminster, (married 1stly, Samuel Turner), daughter
and Heir of Francis Gale of Liguania in Jamaica, and
his wife, Susannah Hall, daughter of James Hall of
Hyde Hall, and had issue. He died 1st January 1809 in
Jamaica, buried 10th January 1809 in Jamaica.
- Alan Hyde Gardner (qv)
- Rear Admiral Francis ffarington Gardner, born 21st
June 1773 (1772?), married 4th May 1809, Catherine
van Straubenzee, born 11th June 1787, died 15th July
1870, daughter of Charles Van Straubenzee of
Spennethorpe, and had issue. He died 8th July 1821.
- Stewart William Gardner, born 18th August 1812,
married 28th August 1834, Jane Gardner, daughter
of Alan Gardner, and his wife, Bibi Sahiba Hinga Hurmoozee
Begum (see above), died 15th June 1869, and
had issue. He died 20th July 1882.
- Catherine Georgiana Gardner, born 16th August
1835, married Solomon Gardner, died 24th October
1904, and had issue.
- Alan Hyde Gardner (qv)
- Edward Zemindar Gardner, born 24th October
1838, married 12th March 1879, Mary, died 2nd
October 1900, and had issue. He died 1891 (or
6th November 1920).
- Henrietta Gardner, born 13th November 1881,
married 21st May 1897, (her cousin, see below)
Francis ffarington Gardner, born 24th February
1880. She died 1943.
- Charles van Straubenzee Gardner, born 20th
October 1883, married 4th August 1900, (his
cousin, see below) Ellen Gardner, born 18th
Janaury 1883, died 1950, daughter of William
Richard Gardner, and had issue.
- Mary Gardner, born 2nd May 1901, married
15th Janaury 1920, Walter Vernon Mackenzie,
and had issue.
- Lily Gardner, born 3rd June 1902, married
9th January 1922, Rev. Patrick Solomon
Gardner, and had issue.
- Mildred Julia Gardner
- Annie Gardner
- Rosa Gardner, born 21st Janaury 1904, died
5th May 1926.
- Grace Gardner, born 20th July 1906, died
16th March 1907.
- Catherine Georgina Gardner, born 23rd
December 1907, married 22nd December 1924,
Harry C. Newton, and had issue.
- Henry Gardner, born 15th November 1911,
married 1941, Emma Gardner, daughter of
Harry Gardner, and had issue.
- Suzon Gardner, born 1942.
- David Francis Gardner, born 1945.
- Evelyn Gardner, born 1948.
- Charles Straubenzee Gardner, born 1951.
- Phillis Ellen Gardner, born 1954, died
17th June 1954.
- Cherry Martha Gardner, born 27th August
1913, married 1935, Arthur Samuel Tupper,
- Ruby Maggie Gardner, born 27th August 1913
(or 1915), married 1943, James Gideon.
- Edward Kingston Gardner, born 9th October
1917, married 1946, Mary Cicolia De Silva,
and had issue.
- Frederick Anthony Gardner, born 1946.
- Jennet Cicilia Gardner, born 1949.
- Terrance Lewis Gardner, born 1952.
- Francis Robert Gardner, born 11th July
1920, married 1953, Jane Martin, and had
- George Washington Gardner, born 1954.
- Marjory Julia Gardner, born 14th April
1925, married 27th December 1947, Kenneth
- Julia Gardner, born 28th January 1886, died
27th May 1920.
- Benjamin Gardner, born 27th April 1889,
married 6th July 1914, Sophia Shekoh, and had
issue. He died 1937.
- Carolina Gardner, born 3rd September 1915.
- Maggie Gardner, born 1917, married 1935,
- Daniel Gardner, born 2nd September 1919,
married 12th June 1946, Irene Christicole,
daughter of R. M. Christicole, and had
- NoŽl Gardner, born 10th March 1947.
- Ivan Elfin Gardner, born 24th July 1950.
- Queenie Gardner, born 1921, married 1941,
- Daisy Margaret Gardner, born 1924, married
1945, Richard Gardner.
- Mervin Gardner, unmarried and presently
living in Aligarh.
- Lailen Gardner, married Salistina Gardner,
and has issue. (Aligarh, India)
- Malcome Gardner, married Simmi Gardner,
and has issue.
- Labeena Gardner
- Faveena Gardner
- Bobby Nomin Gardner, married 15th
February 1987, Vineeta Gardner, and has
- Rocky Herald Gardner, born 17th
- Raveena Gardner, born 9th January
- Shalini Gardner, born 15th August
- Joycey Gardner
- James Stewart Gardner, born 27th January
1896, died sp
on 2nd February 1914.
- Tandy Gardner, born 30th November 1846.
- Jane Gardner, born 18th February 1848, married
30th October 1865, J. G. Hawes.
- William Rickards Gardner, born 16th December
1852, married 12th March 1879, and had issue. He
died 24th July 1915.
- Francis ffarington Gardner, born 24th
February 1880, married 21st May 1897 (his
cousin, see above) Henrietta Gardner, born
13th November 1881, died 1943.
- Wellington Gardner, born 22nd January 1881.
- Ellen Gardner, born 18th January 1883,
married 4th August 1900, (her cousin, see
above) Charles van Straubenzee Gardner, and
had issue. She died 1950.
- Elizabeth Gardner, born 7th January 1884.
- Jane Gardner, born 18th February 1898,
married 1916, Gilbert Gardner.
- Alan Hyde Gardner, born 25th March 1900.
- Alan Hyde Gardner, born 25th August 1814,
married Caroline Augusta Philipps, and had issue.
- Alan Hyde Gardner, born 10th December 1850,
married Elizabeth Bult, daughter of George
Norman Bult, and had issue. He died 7th
- Alan Hyde Gardner, born 20th November 1878.
- Gen. William Henry Gardner, born 6th October 1774,
married 20th December 1804, Elizabeth Lydia Fryers,
died 1850, daughter of Lt.-Gen. William Fryers, and
had issue. He died 15th December 1856.
- Herbert Gardner, born 29th August 1781, married
7th November 1804, Mary Anne Cornwall, died 6th
January 1857, daughter of John Cornwall, and had
issue. He died 10th August 1858.
- Susannah Hall Gardner, married 7th January 1794,
John Cornwall of Hendon, and had issue. She died 9th
- Edward Gardner, born 9th March 1784, died 5th
- Valentine William Gardner
- Samuel Morton Gardner
- Hon. Alan Hyde
Gardner, 2nd Baron Gardner of Uttoxeter
[1.1.1809] - [22.12.1815], born 5th February
1771, baptized 9th April 1771, married 1stly, 9th
March 1796 (div. 1805), Maria Elizabeth Adderly, died
4th December 1831, (she married 2ndly, Henry Jadis),
daughter of Thomas Adderly of Innishannon, married
2ndly, 10th April 1809 in Whitehall, London, Hon.
Charlotte Elizabeth Smith, died 27th March 1811 in
Yarmouth, daughter of Hon. Robert Smith, 1st Baron Carrington,
and had issue. He died 22nd December 1815, buried 5th
- Hon. Alan Legge Gardner (qv)
- Hon. Charlotte Susannah Gardner, born 29th
December 1810, married 1st September 1835, Hon.
Edward Vernon Harbord, 4th Baron Suffield [6.7.1835]
- [22.8.1853], born 19th June 1813, died 22nd August
- Hon. Alan Legge
Gardner, 3rd Baron Gardner of Uttoxeter
[22.12.1815] - [2.11.1883], born 29th January
1810 in Blackheath, Kent, married 1stly, 1st December
1835 in Paris, Frances Margaret Hughes, she died sp
on 8th December 1847, married 2ndly, 1848, Julia Sarah
Hayfield-Fortescue, died 3rd November 1899 in
Brighton, and had issue. He died spml on 2nd
November 1883 in Middlesex when the Barony became
extinct or dormant.
- Alan Coulston Gardner, born before his parents
marriage, and therefore ineligible to succeed to the
Barony, married 29th April 1885, Nora Beatrice
Blyth, born 1866, died 5th January 1944, and had
issue, one son.
- Hon. Herbert Colstoun Gardner, born 9th June 1846,
before his parents marriage, and therefore
ineligible to succeed to the Barony, he was created
1st Baron Burghclere of Walden, married 4th March
1890 in Brighton, Hon. Winifred Anne Henrietta
Christiana Herbert, born 2nd July 1864, died 28th
September 1933, (married 1stly, Hon. Alfred John
George Byng), daughter of Lord Henry Howard Molyneux
Herbert, 4th Earl of Carnarvon, and his wife, Lady
Evelyn Stanhope, and had issue. He died spm on 6th May
- Hon. Juliet Mary Evelyn Stanhope Gardner, born
14th June 1892, married 12th June 1916 (div.
1922), Alexander Duncan Cumming-Russell, born 30th
November 1889, died 4th April 1951.
- Hon. Alethea Margaret Gwendolin Valentine
Gardner, born 19th August 1893, married 30th June
1915, Hon. Geoffrey Storrs Fry, 1st Baron Fry of
Oare, born 27th July 1888, and had issue.
- Hon. Mary Sidney Katharine Almina Gardner, born
27th August 1896, died 11th March 1994.
- Hon. Evelyn Florence Margaret Winifred Gardner,
born 27th September 1903, died 11th March 1994.
- Hon. Evelyn Coulston Gardner (by Julia Sarah
Hayfield-Fortescue), married 25th April 1881,
William Fuller-Maitland, born 6th May 1844, died in
November 1932, and had issue, three sons and one
daughter. She died on 12th April 1902.
- Hon. Florence Coulston Gardner (by Julia Sarah
Hayfield-Fortescue), born 7th February 1853, married
3rd February 1875 in London, Hon. William Hillier
Onslow, 4th Earl of Onslow, born 7th March
1853, died 23rd October 1911, and had issue, two
sons and two daughters. She died 8th August 1934 in
- Alan Hyde Gardner,
4th Baron Gardner [2.11.1883] - [9.7.1899], de jure,
born 1st July 1836, married 12th March 1879, Jane
Shekoh, daughter of Mirza Anjan Shikoh, and his wife,
Susan Gardner Sabia
Begum, died 12th June 1891, and had issue. He
died 9th July 1899.
- Alan Legge
Gardner, 5th Baron Gardner [9.7.1899] -
[19xx], de jure, born 25th October 1881, married
1stly, 14th January 1907, Christina Jane Gardner, died
1918, daughter of William Gardner, married 2ndly,
1918, Ellen Orde, and had issue. (Village
Bhnowta, Dadri dist. Bulandshahr, United Provinces,
- Alan William Gardner (qv)
- Alan William
Gardner, 6th Baron Gardner, de jure,
born 3rd December 1908, married Ethel Lydia Gardner,
daughter of James Valentine Gardner, and had
- Barbara Christian Gardner, born 1939.
- Julian James Gardner (qv).
- Archibald Horace Gardner, born 1945.
- Julian James
Gardner, 7th Baron Gardner, de jure
- Mr Russell V. Gardner, Mr Winston Gardner, their
sister Enid can trace back their family tree to Alan
Gardner, William James Gardner, and Ghengis Khan. Both
Mr Russell Gardner and Winston Gardner are Principals
of Anglican schools in India. Mr Russell Gardner being
the Principal of St Thomas Collegiate in Dehra Dun.
Two of his sisters are married and immigrated to USA
and UK, while his son, also Russell J. Gardner, lives
with his family in Melbourne, Australia. His daughter,
Michelle Gardner married, Reggie Khanna, the son of an
Anglo-Indian lady, Maureen Carbery, from Dehra Dun,
and a Hindu Punjabi pilot officer, Mr Ram K. Khanna.
Mr Russell V. Gardner also has his own private Junior
High School, St Jude, in Dehra Dun. His wife, Violet
Lyons/Gardner is the Principal of their private
school. Although Mr Russell V. Gardner is an Anglican,
his wife is a Catholic, and he has a strong faith in
Saint Jude, the patron of hopeless cases, that is why
he has named his school by the name.