LOCATION: Saurashtra AREA: 2,652 kmē VILLAGES: xx POPULATION: 205,846 (1931) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 800,000 DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Jadeja SEAT: xx ACCESSION: 15th February 1948
AGENCY: xx PRIVY PURSE: Rs
PRESENT RULER: HH Maharajah Shri JYOTENDRASINHJI VIKRAMSINHJI Sahib, 16th and present Thakore Saheb of Gondal since 1969 (Naulakha Palace, Gondal, Gujarat, India)
born 1939, educated at the Doon School, Dehra Dun and at St. Stephen's College, New Delhi,and passed out in 1958, a keen sports car racer in his younger days, having participated in various races, both in India and abroad, married HH Maharani Kumud Kumari, daughter of Maharaj Dharamkumarsinhji Bhavsinhji of Bhavnagar, and has issue.
- Yuvarajkumar Himanshukumarsinji Jyotendrasinhji Sahib, born 30th December 1966, married (div. 2003), Yuvarani Hema Kumari (Rajkumari Hemangini Kumari), daughter of Maharaj Chandra Shekhar Singh of Bikaner.
PREDECESSORS and SHORT HISTORY: Second Class State in Kathiawar founded in 1634, later it was raised from the 2nd class to a 1st class state in 1887. Rulers were...
HH Maharani Shri Nandkunverba Sahiba of Gondal Maharaj Kumari Leila Ba Sahiba (1893-1975)
- Thakore Shri KUMBHOJI I MEHRAMJI, Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1634/1679, son of Thakore Mehramji Vibhoji of Rajkot by his Chaudasama Rani, married and had issue. He died 1679.
- Thakore Shri Sagramji Khumbhoji Sahib (qv)
- Thakore Shri Sangoji Khumbhoji Sahib, received six villages and was founder of Kotda-Sangani.
- Thakore Shri SAGRAMJI I KHUMBHOJI Sahib, Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1679/1714, born 1664, he moved his residence from Ardoi to Gondal in 1709, and made it his capital; married a daughter of a Jhala Rajput of Vaghasia in Jhalawad, and had issue, four sons. He died 1714.
- Thakore Shri Haloji Sagramji Sahib (qv)
- Kumar Shri Hathoji Sagramji Sahib, he received six villages as his share of the inheritance, and founded the estate of Ganod.
- Kumar Shri Nathuji Sagramji Sahib, he received six villages as his share of the inheritance and was founder of Mengni.
- Kumar Shri Bharoji Sagramji Sahib, he received six villages as his share of the inheritance.
- Thakore Shri HALOJI SAGRAMJI Sahib, Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1714/1753, received a number of villages from the Nawab of Junagadh for his support, married a Jhala lady of Balala, and had issue, four sons and one daughter. He died 1753.
- Thakore Shri Kumbhoji Haloji Sahib (qv)
- Kumar Shri Hamoji Haloji Sahib
- Kumar Shri Pathoji Haloji Sahib
- Kumar Shri Jethiji Haloji Sahib
- Thakore Shri KUMBHOJI II HALOJI Sahib, Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1753/1790, born 1712, an accomplished ruler, did much to further the prosperity of the state, married 1stly, Thakorani Naniba Sahiba, daughter of the Raizada of Soroder, married 2ndly, a daughter of a Bhayad of Limbdi, and had issue. He died 1790.
- Kumar Shri Sagramji Kumbhoji Sahib (by Naniba), born 1732, married 1stly, Kumari Fuliba Sahiba, married 2ndly, Kumari Motiba Sahiba, and had issue. He died 1780
- Thakore Shri Muluji Sagramji Sahib [Malubhai Sahib] (by Thakorani Fuliba)(qv)
- Thakore Shri Devaji Sagramji Sahib [Devabhai Sahib] (by Thakorani Fuliba)(qv)
- Kumar Shri Hathibhai Sagramji Sahib (by Thakorani Fuliba)
- Kumar Shri Bhavobhai Sagramji Sahib (by Thakorani Motiba)
- Rani Kunkabai Sahiba, marrried Raj Sahib Raj Saheb Bharoji Kesarisinhji [Bhavaji] of Wankaner.
- Rani Baijiba Sahiba, married Raj Sahib Raisinhji Jashwantsinhji of Dhrangadhra.
- Kumar Shri Mokaji Kumbhoji (by second wife), he was granted the villages of Lunviyar, Analgadh and Sidhavadar in appanage.
- Thakore Shri MULUJI SAGRAMJI Sahib [Malubhai Sahib], Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1790/1792, born 1755, a weak and ineffectual ruler who was under the influence of a court favourite, married 1stly, Thakorani Ajiba Sahiba, daughter of Thakore Sahib Akhairajji III of Bhavnagar, married 2ndly, Thakorani Adiba Sahiba, daughter of the Raizada of Ghorvad, and had issue. He died 1792.
- Thakor Shri Dajibhai Muluji Sahib (by Thakorani Adiba)(qv)
- Kumar Shri Bapji Muluji Sahib (by Thakorani
Adiba), died young.
- Thakore Shri DAJIBHAI MULUJI Sahib, Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1792/1800, born 1776, a patron of letters and fond of poetry, he allowed his uncle to handle the administrative affairs of the state, married three wives (from Vaosavey, Sayla and Porbander), but died sp in 1800.
- Thakore Shri DEVAJI SAGRAMJI Sahib [Devabhai Sahib], Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1800/1812, born 1757, he was the first ruler to discourage the practice of infanticide in his state, married 1stly, Thakorani Kasiba Sahiba, daughter of the Jhala Chief of Balala, married 2ndly, Thakorani Baijiba Sahiba, [daughter of Raj Sahib Jashwantsinhji Gajsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and his second wife, Rani Chandar Kunwarba Sahiba], and had issue, four sons by the second wife. He died 1812.
- Thakore Shri Nathuji Devaji Sahib [Nathubhai] (qv)
- Thakore Shri Kanuji Devaji Sahib (qv)
- Thakore Shri Chandrasinhji Devaji Sahib [Motibhai] (qv)
- Thakore Shri Bhanabhai Devaji Sahib (qv)
- Thakore Shri NATHUJI DEVAJI Sahib [Nathubhai Sahib], Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1812/1814, his short reign was uneventful, married and had issue. He died spm in 1814.
- Kumari Bai Sahiba, married into Dhrangadhra.
- Thakor Shri KANUJI DEVAJI Sahib, Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1814/1821, he was fond of his drink and neglected affairs of the state, married 1stly, Thakorani Nanibaiba of Soderda, married 2ndly, a lady of Talaja, married 3rdly, Thakorani Motibaiba of Ganod. He died sp in 1821.
- Thakore Shri CHANDRASINHJI DEVAJI Sahib [Motibhai Sahib], Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1821/1841, he was a weak administrator and allowed the finances of the state to be depleted, married 1stly, Thakorani Sunderba of Narichana, married 2ndly, Thakorani Anopba of Vaniavadhar. He died spm in 1841.
- HH Rani Sundar Kunwarba Sahiba, married HH Raj Sahib Ranmalji Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra.
- Thakore Shri BHANABHAI DEVAJI Sahib, Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1841/1851, inherited a large debt from his predecessor, married 1stly, a Jhala lady of Gundala, died young sp, married 2ndly, Thakorani Shri Motiba Sahiba of Gundiali, and had issue. He died 1851.
- HH Thakore Shri Sagramji Bhanabhai Sahib [Sagramji II] (by 2nd wife) (qv)
- Kumar Shri Muluji Bhanabhai Sahib (by 2nd wife), married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Jalamsinhji Muluji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Balsinhji Jalamsinhji, married and
- Kumar Shri Bhagwansinhji Balsinhji Jadeja, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1946), married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Yadvendrasinhji Bhagwansinhji Jadeja, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot.
- Kumari Manhar Kumari Devi, she was adopted by HH Maharaja Shri Bhojrajjisinhji Bhagwatsinhji Sahib (see below).
- HH Thakore Shri SAGRAMJI BHANABHAI Sahib, Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1851/1869, born 1822, his reign was a transitional period during which he built a court house, a jail and improved the police force; married 1stly, HH Thakorani Raiba Sahiba, died young, daughter of Thakore Panchaliji Jhala, married 2ndly, HH Thakorani Ramba Sahiba, daughter of Thakore Harisinghji Jhala of Gundiyadi, she died 1857, married 3rdly, 1857 HH Thakorani Monghiba Sahiba, daughter of Thakore Sartanji Jhala of Meenapur, and had issue. He died 14th December 1869.
- Kumar Shri Balubha Sagramji Sahib [Bhalsinhji Sagramsinhji] (by Ramba Sahiba), he died at the age of two years.
- Kumar Shri Pathubha Sagramji Sahib [Prithirajji Sagramsinhji], born 1841, died sp in 1862.
- HH Maharaja Shri Sir Bhagwatsinhji Sagramsinhji Sahib (by Monghiba Sahiba) (qv)
- Kumari Shri Majirajba Sahiba (by Monghiba Sahiba),
married in Bhavnagar.
- HH Maharaja Shri Sir BHAGWATSINHJI SAGRAMSINHJI Sahib G.C.S.I., G.C.I.E., 13th Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1869/1944, born 24th October 1865 (#1)(#4 p.314), G.C.S.I. [cr. 1st February 1937 (#7 p.319)], G.C.I.E. [cr.1897], K.C.I.E. [cr.1887] (#2), LL.D.(Hon) , D.C.L.(Hon) (Oxford, 1892), F.R.C.S. (Edinburgh, 1895), F.R.S. (Edinburgh)., M.D. , M.R.A.S., he succeeded to the gadi on 14th December 1869 (#4 p.314), educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot and Edinburgh University (M.D. and LL.D.), a great scholar and an author as well. He took great interest in education and built a large college on the boarding school system for the education of the sons of landholders. He also established a girls' High School in the state. He also was the first to start a travelling dispensary and an asylum for the maintenance of the poor. He was elected a patron of the St. John's Ambulance Brigade, Hindu Division, Bombay. He abolished some 40 dues during his long reign. Gondal State was singular in being free from rates, taxes, customs, octroi, and export duties. It was the only state in the Western India States Agency where female education was compulsory. Gondal was noted for the number and excellence of its roads and was one of the pioneers of railway enterprise in Kathiawar. The number of public institutions and schools was a marked feature in the State. The Golden Jubliee of His Highness was celebrated in 1934. His Excellency, the Viceroy, visited Gondal on 18th January 1936. He attended the Viceroy of India's Durbar at Rajkot in November 1900, and also the Delhi Coronation Durbar on 1st January 1903. He attended the Coronation of Their Imperial Majesties, King George V and Queen Mary in England on the 22nd June 1911, and the Coronation Durbar at Delhi on 12th December 1911, Member of the Royal Institute of Great Britain, a Fellow of Bombay University, married 1stly, 4th June 1881, HH Maharani Shri Nandkunverba Sahiba, daughter of HH Maharana Sahib Shri Narayandevji Ramdevji of Dharampur, born 1867, died 1936, C.I., married 2ndly, 4th April 1882, a cousin of the Raja Sahib of Wankaner, married 3rdly, 4th April 1882, Kumari Bashahiba Sahiba, his cousin, daughter of his own maternal uncle, Thakore Kalyansinhji Jhala of Minapur, married 4thly, HH Maharani Nanaba Sahiba, daughter of Thakore Shri Becharsinhji Raisinhji of Chuda, and had issue, eight children, all by the first wife. He died 10th March 1944.
- HH Maharajah Shri Bhojrajjisinhji Bhagwatsinhji Sahib (qv)
- Maharaj Kumari Shri Bakuver Ba Sahiba, born 14th August 1884 in Gondal, died unmarried 1970 at Mumbai.
- Maharajkumar Shri Bhupatsinhji Bhagwatsinhji Sahib, born 1888, educated at Harrow 1901/1907
- Maharaj Kumari Leila Ba Sahiba [later Rani Bai Shri Leila Ba Kunverba Sahiba of Jubbal] (by HH Maharani Shri Nandkunverba Sahiba), born 14th February 1893 in Gondal, married (as his second wife), 11th May 1919, Rana Bhagat Chandra of Jubbal, and had issue. She died 7th March 1975 at New Delhi.
- Maharajkumar Shri Ranjitsinhji Bhagwatsinhji Sahib
- Maharajkumar Shri Kiritsinhji Bhagwatsinhji Sahib, educated at Harrow 1908/1912
- Maharajkumar Shri Natwarsinhji Bhagwatsinhji Sahib
- Maharajkumari Tara Ba Sahiba, born 1901 in Gondal, died 1958 in Gondal.
- HH Maharaja Shri BHOJRAJJISINHJI BHAGWATSINHJI Sahib, 14th Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1944/1952, born 8th January 1883 (#3), educated at Eton and Balliol College, England, he succeeded to the gadi on 10th March 1944, and immediately announced donations of Rs 60,00,000 for public works, married 25th January 1905, HH Maharani Shri Raj Kunverba Saheba, born 7th November 1890 (#3), died on 14th October 1968, educated privately, she was well-versed in Gujarati, English and Canarese, she had a particular interest in the education of girls, for whom a spacious residential school called the Rajkunverba Rajput Kanya Vidyalaya was opened in Gondal, she was a lady of advanced views of social services, religion etc.; President, Gujarati Hindi Women's Association meeting held at Bombay in June 1909, daughter of Rana Shri Banesinhji of Vana, and had issue, two sons and five daughters, as well as adoptive issue. He died 31st July 1952.
- Maharaj Kumari Sita Ba Sahiba [later HH Maharani Bai Shri Sita Ba Kunverba Sahiba of Palitana], married 2nd December 1919, HH Maharaja Shri Bahadursinhji of Palitana.
- Maharaj Kumari Kamlaba Sahiba, married (as his second wife), HH Saramad-i-Rajha-i-Bundelkhand Maharaja Mahendra Sawai Shri Sir Vir Singh Ju Deo Bahadu, Maharaja of Orchha, and had issue.
- HH Maharani Vijayba Sahiba, born 19th June 1910, married HH Maharaja Shri Sir Krishnakumarsinhji Gohil of Bhavnagar. She died 6th October 1990.
- HH Maharajah Shri Vikramsinhji Bhojrajjisinhji Sahib (qv)
- Maharaj Kumari Jayaba Sahiba [HH Thakorani Sahiba
Jayaba Sahiba of Wadhwan], born 1922, married HH
Thakore Sahib Shri Surendrasinhji Jorawarsinhji of Wadhwan, and had
issue. She died 3rd March 2010 at Bangalore.
- Maharaj Kumar Shivrajsinhji Bhojrajjisinhji Sahib,
born 1925, married and had issue, two sons. He died
- Rajkumar Giri Raj Sinhji Shivrajsinhji Sahib, born 14th January 1948, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1964); married 21st November 1972, Kumari Bhuvaneshwari Kumari, daughter of Kanwar Jagat Bahadur Singh of Sirmur.
- Rajkumar Upendra Sinhji Shivrajsinhji Sahib, married and has issue, two sons.
- Kumar Shri Jyotirmaya Sinhji Jadeja
- Kumar Shri Padmanav Sinhji Jadeja, married 25th January 2011 in Kishangarh, Maharaj Kumari Vaishnavi Kumari, daughter of HH Umdae Rajhae Buland Makan Maharajadhiraja Maharaja Brajraj Singh Bahadur of Kishangarh, and his wife, HH Maharani Meenakshi Devi.
- (A) Maharaj Kumari Manhar Kumari Devi,
daughter of Thakore Sahib Balsinhji Jalamsinhji
(see above), married at the Darbargadh, Gondal,
Patayat Bhoopendra Singh Deo of Seraikella, and
- HH Maharajah Shri VIKRAMSINHJI BHOJRAJJISINHJI Sahib, 15th Thakore Saheb of Gondal 1952/1969, born 13th October 1914 (#3), educated at Bangalore, he had a hand in the administration of the state with his father, and took a keen interest in the welfare and prosperity of the people of the State, especially agriculturists, he was elected as a member of the Constituent Assembly, United State of Saurashtra, by a huge majority of votes from the Goadal Constituency; married 12th May 1937, Kumari Shri Nainkunwarba [HH Maharani Shri Nainkunwarba Sahiba], sister of Thakur Sahib Shri Hari Singhji of Achrol in Jaipur, Rajasthan, and had issue, two sons and two daughters. He died 22nd August 1969.
- HH Maharajah Shri Jyotendrasinhji Vikramsinhji Sahib (qv)
- HH Maharani Prakash Kumari [Princess Pinkie], born October 1941, married 20th February 1960, HH Maharajadhiraj Shri Rajendra Singhji Saheb of Idar and has issue.
- Maharajkumari Aditya Kumari, born 1943.
- Maharajkumar Ghanadityasinhji Vikramsinhji Sahib, born 3rd March 1946 at Gondal, educated at the Doon School, Dehra Dun, a keen sports car racer in his younger days, having participated in various races, both in India and abroad. He died 9th June 2010 in Mumbai. (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India)
- HH Maharajah Shri JYOTENDRASINHJI VIKRAMSINHJI Sahib, 16th Thakore Saheb of Gondal (see above)
HH Maharani Shri Nandkunverba Sahiba of Gondal Maharaj Kumari Leila Ba Sahiba (1893-1975)