LOCATION: Madhya Pradesh AREA: 25,646.18 km² VILLAGES: 3,368 (plus11 towns) POPULATION: 1,513,966 (1941) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 1,24,21,000 DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Maratha - Holkar lineage SEAT: Lal Bagh Palace, Indore ACCESSION: 15th June 1948
AGENCY: Indore Residency 1818 - 1948 PRIVY PURSE: Rs 15,00,000
PRESENT RULER: HH Maharanidhiraja Rani Rajeshwar Sawai Shrimant Akhand Soubbagyavati Usha Devi, Maharaj Sahiba Holkar XV Bahadur, 15th Maharani of Indore since 1961 (Lal Baug Palace, Indore and Windmere, Cuffe Parade, Mumbai, India)
born 20th October 1933 in Paris, acknowledged Heir by Gazette Extra ordinary in 1950 (#2); married Shri Satish Chandra Malhotra, Chairman of Empire Industries, and has issue.
- Shri Dilip Malhotra
- Shrimant (name unknown) Holkar, married and had issue.
- Shrimant Khandoji Holkar, 11th in descent from Maliba, deputy headman of the village; married a sister of Bhojraj Bargal of Talauda, and had issue.
- Maharaja Malhar Rao I Holkar (qv)
- Shrimant Santoji Holkar, married and had issue, the Mandgaon Family.
- Shrimant Tukoji Santoji Holkar, married and had issue.
- Shrimant Ithuba Tukoji Holkar, married and had issue.
- Shrimant Bapuji Ithuba Holkar, married and had issue.
- Shrimant Khande Rao Bapuji, he succeeded as Maharaja Khande Rao II Hari Rao Holkar (see below)
- Maharaja MALHAR RAO I HOLKAR, 1st Maharaja of Indore 1731/1766, born in October 1694, he had acquired the town of Indore in 1733, though the principal headquarters remained at Maheshwar till 1818; he joined the service of the Peshwa in 1724 and was given the command of 500 horse; he was granted 12 districts in Malwa in 1728, further increased to 82 districts in 1731; he remained employed in expeditions, against the Nizam (1738), the Portuduese at Bassein (1739), and the Rohillas (1748); he was honoured by the Peshwa with the title of Subhedar of Malwa, he took part in the Battle of Panipat (1761) but withdrew his forces when a defeat looked inevitable; before his death, he had consolidated his power over a vast exapanse of territory; married 1stly (his cousin), Gautama Bai, she founded the town of Malhargarh, daughter of Bhojraj Bargal of Talauda, and had issue. He died 20th May 1766 at Alampur, where his Cenotaph still stands (#3 p.15).
- Maharajkumar Khandi Rao Holkar, born 1724, married Maharani Ahalya Bai, Regent of Indore (see below), daughter of Shri Mankoji Shinde of Choundi, and had issue. He was killed vp in an assault on the Fort of Kumbher near Deeg on 15th March 1754.
- Maharaja Male Rao Holkar (qv)
- Shrimant Rajkumari Mukta Bai Raje Sahib, she married Shrimant Jaswant Rao Phanse.
REGENT Maharani Ahalya Bai 1767/1795, born 1725, she assumed personal charge of the administration and was tolerant, just and meticulous in her administration of all the departments of the state, resulted in a long period of comparative peace and prosperity. She died 13th August 1795.
- Maharaja Kashi Rao Holkar (qv)
- Maharaja Malhar Rao II Holkar (qv)
- Maharaja Yashwant Rao I Holkar (by a concubine)(qv)
- Maharajkumar Wittaji or Vithoji Rao Holkar (by a concubine), married and had issue. He died in April 1801 by being bound to the feet of an elephant and being dragged through the public streets.
- Maharaja Hari Rao Holkar (qv)
- Maharajkumar Khande Rao Holkar, born 1797, died 1806/1808.
- Maharaja Malhar Rao III Holkar (illegitimate by a potter woman, Keshri Bai, died in September 1849) (qv)
- Maharaja Martand Rao Holkar (qv)
- Maharajkumari Bhima Bai, she was granted in dowry, the pargana of Kunch, but after it reverted to the British, she received a pension of Rs 20,000 p.a.; married Sardar Govind Rao Bolia, and had issue.
- Sardar Chimnaji Appa Saheb Bolia, married and had issue. He died vp.
- Sardar Govind Rao Bolia, he succeeded
to his grandmothers estate; he built a dam over the river Khan in 1882; married
Maharajkumari Sita Bai (see below), and had
adoptive issue. He died sp in 1895.
- (A) Viqar ul-umra Shrimant Sardar Narayan Rao Bolia, born 1889, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; premier Sardar of the State; married 1905, Maharajkumari Sundra Bai, died 1906 (see below). He died spm on 30th March 1932.
REGENT, Maharani Tulsi Bai 1811/1815 or 1808/1817, a woman of great beauty, superior education, considerable talent and fascinating manners, though her disposition was cruel, violent, vindictive, and her conduct was dissolute; the administration soon fell into confusion, intrigues were the order of the day and the army soon mutinied. She was murdered by her troops on 20th December 1817.
- (A) Maharaja Martand Rao Holkar (qv)
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) Bai, she married Sardar Bhaurao Revaji Phanse, he was granted the jagir of Tarana on his marriage.
- (A) Maharaja
Khande Rao II Holkar (qv)
- HH Maharajadhiraj Holkar Raj Rajeshwar Sawai Shri Shivaji Rao Holkar (qv)
- Maharajkumari Sita Bai, married Sardar Govind Rap Bolia, and had issue (see above)
- Maharajkumar Yeshwantrao Holkar, married and had issue.
- Tantia Sahib Holkar, he holds a jagir in the Thana district of Bombay and alswo receives a cash allowance of about Rs 40,000 from the Darbar.
- Shrimant Yadav Rao Bhaiya Sahib Holkar, he holds a jagir in the state and receives a cash allowance.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Holkar Raj Rajeshwar Sawai Shri Sir Tukoji Rao III Holkar (qv)
- Maharajkumari Sundra Bai, married 1905, Viqar
ul-umra Shrimant Sardar Narayan Rao Bolia, born
1889, died spm
on 30th March 1932, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer.
She died 1907.
- Maharajkumari Sita Bai, married Sardar Narayan Rao Bhagwat, and had issue.
- Captain Sardar Martand Rao Bhagwat B.A. (Oxon)
- Maharajkumari Savitri Bai, married Sardar Santaji Rao Bansude.
- Maharajkumari Bhima Bai, married Sardar Shankar Rao Changan, Barrister-at-Law, State Treasure and Huzur Privy Councillor
- Maharajkumari Lila Bai, married Sardar Kondaji Rao Matkar, and had issue.
- Sardar Fatehsingh Rao Matkar, born 1904.
- Maharajkumari Thaku Bai, married Sardar Ramchandra
Rao Zanane B.A., officiating Home Minister and Huzur
Privy Councillor, and had issue.
- Field Marshal (Hon.) HH Maharajadhiraj Holkar Raj Rajeshwar Sawai Shrimant Yeshwant Rao II Holkar Bahadur (by Chandrawati Bai) (qv)
- Maharajkumari Manorama Raje (by Chandrawati Bai), born 1909, died of tuberculosis at the age of twenty.
- Maharajkumari Sharada Raje (by Sharmistha Bai),
- Maharajkumari Sita Raje (by Sharmistha Bai), born 8th November 1930 in the Château de Saint Germain near Paris, married Shrimant Sardar Fatehsinhrao Dattajirao Ghatge of Kagal-Jnr, and has issue.
- Maharajkumari Sumitra Raje (by Sharmistha Bai)
- Maharajkumari Sushila Raje (by Sharmistha Bai),
married 20th February 19xx at Barwaha, Sardar Bolia.
- HH Maharanidhiraja Rani Rajeshwar Sawai Shrimant Akhand Soubhagyavati Usha Devi Holkar, (by 1st wife) (qv)
- Shrimant Maharajkumar Richard Shivajirao Yeshwantrao Holkar, (by 3rd wife), born 18th May 1944, Chairman of Rehwa Society (founded 1977), a fine gourmet and cook, he has co-authored a book on "The Cooking of the Maharajas" with Sally (he now pens a column "Maheshwar Musings" for a Delhi-based magazine), his favourite pastime is fishing, married 1stly, 11th August 1966 in Dallas (div. 2002), Shrimant Akhaund Soubbagyavati Shalinidevi Holkar [née Sally Sue Budd], born 1945, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. Burcham Budd Jr. of Dallas, married 2ndly, Pamela Rooks, died 1st October 2010, and has issue.
- Shrimant Akhand Soubbagyavati Sabrinaraje Sanyogita Holkar (by Shalinidevi), born 25th October 1979, educated in the U.S.A., married 3rd March 2006, Ari Kanakdari Ellis.
- Shrimant Maharaj Yeshwantrao Holkar (by Shalinidevi), born 3rd November 1982, educated in the U.S.A.; married 28th/29th December 2015, Shrimant Akhand Soubbagyavati Nairika Godrej, daughter of Shri Vijay Crishna Godrej, Industrialist.
- Shrimant Sardar (name unknown) Holkar, married and had issue.
- Shrimant Sardar Sir Kashi Rao Dada Saheb Holkar K.C.S.I., married and had issue.
- Shrimant Sardar Ganpat rao Holkar, married and had adoptive issue.
- (A) Shrimant Sardar Malhar Rao Holkar, Jagirdar of six villages or revenue of Rs22,600p.a., educated at Daly College, Indore; married and had issue.
- Shrimant Sardar (name unknown) Holkar, born
in March 1922.
- HH Maharaja Tukojirao II Holkar, 11th Maharaja of Indore 1844/1886 (see above)
- Shrimant Sardar Parajirao Holkar, married and had issue.
- (A) Shrimant Bhao Sahib Holkar, a jagirdar of Indore state, educated at Daly College, Indore.
- Maharaj Yadav Rao Bhaiya Sahib Holkar, a great uncle of the Maharaja, he holds in jagir the village of Kampel (revenue of Rs14,000 p.a.); retired as Superintendent, Jagir Estates; married and had issue.
- Maharaj Shripat Rao Holkar, born 1904; educated in
England, later employed with the State Public Works