|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Founded in 1763, the state ranks third in the Punjab
Darbar. His Highness maintains a military force of 379
cavalry, 1571 infantry, and 12 guns, and is entitled to a
salute of 11 guns (in 1893). Rulers were ....
- Raja GAJPAT SINGH,
1st Raja of Jind 1763/1789, born 15th April 1738, he
seized a large tract of country, including Jind and
Safidori in 1755, he joined the Dal Khalsa and took
part in the conquest of Sirhind, Panipat and Karnal,
he made Jind his capital in 1766, he was granted the
title of Raja under a royal decree by Mughal Emperor
Shah Alam II in February 1772, he seized and held the
territory of Sangrur in 1774, which belonged to the
Raja of Nabha, married 1stly, a daughter of Sardar
Kishan Singh Monshia (Mansahia?), married 2ndly, 1764,
one of his brother's widows, and had issue. He died
11th November 1789 at Sufidon.
- Kanwar Mehr Singh, married and had issue. He died
- Sardar Hari Singh, born about 1773, married Bibi
Dya Kaur, daughter of Saunda Singh Khanah, and had
issue. He died 1791.
- Bibi Chand Kaur, born about 1790, married (as
his second wife), Sardar Fateh Singh of
Thanesar. She died sp in 1850.
- Sardarni Raj Kaur, married 1774, Sardar Mahan
Singh Sukerchakia of Lahore,
and had issue.
- Raja Bhag Singh (qv)
- Sardar Bhup Singh, Chief of Badrukhan and
Bazidpur, married 1stly, a daughter of Arbel Singh
of Kaleki, married 2ndly, a daughter of Gajju Singh
of Ralla, and had issue. He died 1815.
- Sardar Karam Singh (by 1st wife), Chief of
Bazidpur, married and had issue. He died 1818.
- Sardar Basawa Singh (by 2nd wife), Chief of
Badrukhan, married and had issue. He died 1830.
- Sardar Sukha Singh, married and had issue. He
- Harnam Singh, married and had issue. He died
- HH Raja Sir Hira Singh Malvinder Bahadur,
Raja of Nabha.
- Sardar Bhagwan Singh, married and had issue.
He died 1852.
- Sardar Diwan Singh, born 1841, married and
- Sardar Harnarain Singh, born 1861.
- Sardar Shamsher Singh, born 1872, the
premier Darbari of Jind, married and had
issue. He died 22nd July 1906.
- Sardar Fateh Singh, educated at
Aitchison College, Lahore.
- Bibiji (name unknown) Kaur [HH
Maharani Malvender Kaur of Dholpur],
married 1911, Lt.Col. HH Rais ud-Daulah
Sipahdar ul-Mulk Saramad Rajha-i-Hind
Maharajadhiraj Sri Sawai Maharaj Rana Sir
Udaibhan Singh Lokindra Bahadur Diler Jung
Jai Deo, 6th Maharaj Rana of Dholpur,
and had issue.
- Sardar Sher Singh, born 1844, died 1882.
- Sardar Chattar Singh, died 1861.
- Bibi Begama Kaur (by 2nd wife)
Raja BHAG SINGH,
2nd Raja of Jind 1789/1819, born 23rd September 1760,
he was a man of extraordinary vigour, intelligence and
diplomatic astuteness, he maintained friendly
relations with the British and accompanied Lord Lake
to the River Beas in pursuit of Jaswant Rao Holkar,
married 1stly, Rani Dya Kaur, daughter of Bakhsu Singh
of Bari Mansa, married 2ndly, Rani Sada Kaur, daughter
of Pakhar Singh of Jodhpur Subake, married 3rdly, Rani
Sobrahi Kaur of the Kaleki zamindari family, she was
killed on 23rd August 1814, and had issue. He died
- Raja Fateh Singh (by Rani Dya Kaur) (qv)
- Kunwar Pratap Singh (by Rani Sada Kaur), married
1stly, Bibi Bhagbari, daughter of Sardar Kirpal
Singh of Shamgarh, married 2ndly, Mai Sul Rai, a
daughter of Sadha Singh Kakar of Philor. He died sp
in June 1816.
- Kunwar Mahtab Singh (by Rani Sobrahi Kaur), born
1800, died sp in or about March 1816.
Raja FATEH SINGH,
3rd Raja of Jind 1819/1822, born 1789, married 1stly,
Rani Khem Kaur, died sp, daughter of Sardar Didar Singh,
married 2ndly, Rani Sahib Kaur, Regent of Jind,
daughter of Sardar Kushal Singh Burnewala, and had
issue. He died 3rd February 1822 in Sangrur.
- Raja Sangat Singh (by Rani Sahib Kaur) (qv)
Raja SANGAT SINGH,
4th Raja of Jind 1822/1834, born 1811, installed on gaddi on 30th
July 1822, married 1stly, in April 1824, Rani Sabha
Kaur, born about 1812, daughter of Sardar Ranjit Singh
of Shahabad, married 2ndly, Rani Sukhan, daughter of
Sardar Jiun Singh Dhaliwal, married 3rdly, Rani Nand
Kaur, daughter of Dulla Singh of Tibba. He died sp
on 2nd November 1834.
[2.11.1834] - [10.1.1837]
Raja SARUP SINGH
K.C.S.I., 5th Raja of Jind 1837/1864, born 30th May
1812, son of Sardar Karam Singh of the Bazidpur
branch, he formally ascended the gadi in April
1837, he maintained cordial relations with the British
and his loyalty to them during the Anglo-Sikh wars and
the uprising of 1857 was rewarded with the grant of
territories, the right of adoption in case of failure
of direct heirs and other concessions, he was granted
Dadri in Haryana and thirteen villages near Sangrur, a
house in Delhi and an eleven gun salute, he introduced
many reforms in his state on the British model,
particularly concerning revenue and police
administration, he was nominated Knight Grand
Commander of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of
India (K.C.S.I.) in September 1863; married and had
issue. He died of dysentery on 26th January 1864 at
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raghubir Singh (qv)
- Kunwar Randhir Singh, died sp in 1848.
RAGHUBIR SINGH, 6th Raja of Jind 1864/1887,
born 1832, installed on the gaddi on 31st March 1864, he was
created a Knight Grand Commander of the Most Exalted
Order of the Star of India (K.C.S.I.), and at the
Imperial Assemblage at Delhi, on 1st January 1877, on
the occasion of the Proclamation of Her Most Gracious
Majesty as Empress of India, he was appointed a
Councillor of the Empress; he was granted the title of
in 1881, married 1stly, a daughter of Chaudhuri
Jowahir Singh of Dadri, married 2ndly, a daughter of
Sardar Dhian Singh Gill of Rajamajra, and had issue.
He died 7th March 1887 (#1).
- Bibiji (name unknown)
[Sardarni Sahiba of Kalsia] (by 1st wife), married
in April 1865, Sardar Bishan Singh of Kalsia.
- Tikka Sahib Balbir Singh Bahadur (by 1st wife),
born 1856, married and had issue. He died vp before 1887.
- Col. HH Farzand-i-Dilband Rasikh-ul-Itikad
Daulat-i-Inglishia Raja-i-Rajgan Maharaja Sir
Ranbir Singh Rajendra Bahadur (qv)
- Rani Balbir Kaur, married 1902, Raja Mahendra
Pratap Singh of Hathras,
and had issue. She died 1925.
- Bibiji Ranbir Kaur [Sardarni Sahiba of Kalsia],
married Sardar Ranjit Singh of Kalsia, and had
issue, one son and daughter.
- Sardar Ravi Sher Singh of Kalsia (qv)
- Bibiji Rajan Kaur, married Kumar Shri
Ghanshyamsinhji Daulatsinhji, son of HH
Thakore Sahib Shri Sir Daulatsinhji
Jashwantsinhji of Limbdi
Col. HH Farzand-i-Dilband
Rasikh-ul-Itikad Daulat-i-Inglishia Raja-i-Rajgan
Maharaja Sir RANBIR SINGH Rajendra Bahadur
G.C.I.E., K.C.S.I., 7th Maharaja of Jind 1887/1948,
born 11th October 1879 (#2),
he succeeded to the gadi
as a minor on 7th March 1887, educated privately, has
built schools and hospitals, instituted Fund for
Widows and Orphans of State servants, and made Primary
Education free in Jind, Maharaja [cr. xx.12.1911],
G.C.I.E. [cr. 1.1.1916], K.C.S.I. [cr. 1.1.1909],
received Delhi Durbar Medals 1903 and 1911, married
1stly (secretly and unequally), in September 1900 at
Sangrur, Maharani Jaswant Kaur [née Olive
Monalescu-van Tassel], married 2ndly, HH Maharani
Dhelma Kaur, married 3rdly, Maharani Buriya, married
4thly, Maharani Gurcharan Kaur, and had issue. He died
31st March 1948 (#3).
- Maharajkumar (name
unknown) Singh (by Maharani Jaswant Kaur),
born 12th September 1901, died March 1902.
- Maharajkumari Dorothy Kaur (by Maharani Jaswant
Kaur), married 1924, Sardar Gurcharan Singh of Lidhran, and
had issue, four children. She died aged in her 80's.
- Kanwar Karambir Singh
- HH Maharani Prithvi Bir Kaur, married (as
his first wife), HH Maharaja Rajbir Singh, and
had issue (see below). She died 7th May 2010.
- Maharajkumari Balbir Kaur (Princess Diamond),
married Colonel Sardar Shamsher Singh, Rajvallabh,
M.A. (Cantab.), Jagirdar of Misriote and Katarian.
- HH Maharaja Rajbir Singh (qv)
- Maharajkumari Brijinder Kaur [Sardarni Brijinder
Kaur of Vahali], born 1918, married Air Commodore
Sardar Ravindra Hari Darshan Singh of Vahali, and had issue.
- Bibi Yadvindar Kumari, born 1938.
- Sardar Ritendar Singh, born 1940.
- Maharajkumari Rajbir Kaur (Princess Ruby), born
14th June 1920 at Rajbir Villa Palace, Bhimtal,
married April 1945, Sardar Balbir Singh Grewal
(I.C.S), and had issue. She died 11th April 2009 in
- Sardar Rabindra Bir Singh Grewal,
married Maharajkumari Rohini/Ganga Kaur,
daughter of Col. HH Shri Maharaja Shri Brajendra
Sawai Vrijendra Singh Bahadur Jang of Bharatpur, and
his second wife, HH Maharani Videh Kaur, and has
- Kanwar Govind Singh Grewal
- Maharajkumar Jagatbir Singh, born 23rd March 1925,
married Mahrajkumari Hemlata Devi, daughter of HH
Raja Bahadur Khem Savant Bhonsle V of Savantwadi,
and his wife, HH Rani Lakshmi Devi.
- Lt. General (retd.) Maharajkumar Jasbir Singh of
Jind, born 1926, Military Secretary to the
Government of India, retired from the Indian Army in
1984, married Rajkumari Gita Shah, daughter of Raja
Pratap Bikram Shah of Khairigarh, and
his wife, Rani Bhuvan Shah, and has issue. (Dehra Dun, India)
- Kumari Ira Singh
- Kumari Sanu Singh
- Maharajkumari Taranbir Kaur, born 1931, married
D.F.C. Jagdish Chander Verma, died February 1993 in
Agra, and has issue. (Dehradun, India)
- Ajay Verma
- Tina Verma (Mrs. Tina Vijay Chopra).
- Maharajkumari Jagatbir Kaur (Princess Beryl),
married 1stly (sep'd.), Maharajkumar Fateh Singh
Tikari [Prince George] of Tikari, married 2ndly
(her brother-in-law), Maharajkumar Sumair Singh
Tikari [Prince Bobby Tikari], and had issue, four
children. She died 11th February 2008 in Patna.
- Maharajkumar Rajbir Singh Tikari (by 1st
- Maharajkumar Ranbir Singh Tikari (by 1st
- Maharajkumar Raghubir Singh Tikari (by
1st marriage), married and has issue.
- Kunwar Varun Singh Tikari
- Maharajkumari Shaila Singh Tikari (by 2nd
HH Maharaja RAJBIR
SINGH, 8th Maharaja of Jind 1948/- , born
25th September 1918, married 1stly, 25th January 1939,
the only daughter of Sardar Umrao Singh of Manauli,
married 2ndly (his cousin, see above), HH Maharani
Prithvi Bir Kaur (see above), and had issue.
- HH Maharaja Satbir Singh ["Prince Sunny"] (qv)
- Maharajkumar Gajbir Singh ["Prince Billy"], born
1943, educated at the Doon School, Dehra Dun,
Uttaranchal, died sp 2nd August 2001.
- Maharajkumar Ravindra Singh ["Prince Robin"], born
1947, educated at the Doon School, Dehra Dun,
Uttaranchal, married and had issue, three daughters.
He died in 1986.
- educated at the Doon School, Dehra Dun,
- Maharajkumar (name
unknown) Singh ["Prince Scampy"] (by 2nd
marriage), born 1945, educated at the Doon School,
Dehra Dun, Uttaranchal, died 1993.
- Maharajkumar (name
unknown) Singh ["Prince Chuckles"] (by 2nd
marriage), born 1953, educated at the Doon School,
Dehra Dun, Uttaranchal.
HH Maharaja SATBIR
SINGH, 9th Maharaja of Jind (see above)