|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: The
history of Kanker goes back to 106AD when Raja Satkarni of
the Satavahan dynasty ruled Kanker. Afterwards the
Chalukya rulers added Kanker to their empire where it
remained till 788AD. A succession of dynasties then
controlled Kanker till the end of the Kandra dynasty in
1385. The present ruler belongs to a very old Rajput
family, and according to tradition, his ancestor, Raja
Veer Kanhar Dev, formerly the abdicated ruler of Jagannath
Puri, was raised to the throne by a vote of the people and
ruled till 1404. Under the Marathas, the Kanker State was
held on condition of furnishing a military contingent 500
strong whenever needed. In 1809, the Chief was deprived of
Kanker, but was restored to it in 1818 by the British
Resident on payment of a tribute of 500Rs. Rulers were...
- Raja GOOR SAI DEO, Raja of Kanker -/1729,
married and had issue. He died 1729.
- Raja Harpal Deo (qv)
- Rani (name
unknown), married Raja Dalpat Dev of Bastar, and had issue.
- Raja HARPAL DEO, Raja of Kanker 1729/1775,
- Raja DHIRAJ SINGH DEO, Raja of Kanker 1775/-
- Raja RAM RAJ SINGH DEO, Raja of Kanker
- Raja SHYAM SINGH DEO, Raja of Kanker -/1802,
married and had issue.
- Lal Saheb Chet Singh, married and had issue.
- Babu Randhir Singh, married and had issue.
- Babu Gambhir Singh, married and had issue.
- Babu Sahai singh alias Ghondu Singh, claimant
for the throne of Bastar in 1921, married the
daughter of Lal Saheb Balwant Singh of
- Babu Atal Singh
- Raja Bhoop deo (qv)
- Raja BHOOP DEO, Raja of Kanker 1802/1809
1809/1818 (Maratha occupation)
- Raja BHOOP DEO, Raja of Kanker 1818/1839
(second time), married and had issue. He died 1839.
- Raja PADMA DEO, Raja of Kanker 1839/1853,
constructed a temple devoted to the goddess Durga,
married and had issue. He died 1853.
- Maharajadhiraj Nahar Deo (qv)
- Rajkumar Laxman Dev
- Rajkumar Shiv Charan Dev
- Rajkumar Ghanshyam Singh Dev, married and had
- Maharajadhiraj Komal Deo (qv)
- Rajkumari Lakshmi Kumari, married Lal Saheb
Dalganjan Singh of Bastar, and had issue.
- Maharajadhiraj NAHAR DEO, Maharaja of Kanker
1853/1903, born 13th May 1850, he succeeded to the gadi as a minor
on 5th December 1853 (#1),
he was granted the right of adoption by the British
authorities in 1865, and acknowledged their supremacy;
during his reign he constructed a number of temples, a
library and a Palace, he established a new town named
Narharpur near Kanker; he married Maharanidhirani
Chandra Kumari, daughter of Raja Bhopal deo, Raja of
Bastar or Maharanidhirani Padmalaya Devi, daughter of
Raja Bhairam Deo of Bastar,
and had issue. He died in May 1903.
- Rajkumar Tej Pratap Deo, Yuvaraj of Kanker, died vpsp aged 14
- Rajkumar (name
unknown), died vpsp aged 16 years.
- Maharajadhiraj KOMAL DEO, Maharaja of Kanker
1903/1925, born 1874, succeeded 9th May 1903, during
his reign he established one high school, one Girls
school and 15 primary schools as well as two hospitals
(in Kanker and in Sambalpur). He established a new
town near Kanker named Govindpur, which he wanted to
make his capital; he married three times and had
issue, one daughter. He died spm on 8th January 1925 and was
succeeded by his nephew (or relative).
- Maharajkumari Govind Kumari
- Maharajadhiraj BHANU
PRATAP DEO, Maharaja of Kanker 1925/1969,
adopted from Ratu (Chota
Nagpur), born 17th September 1922 and succeeded
8th January 1925 (#2),
Kanker was initially administered by Shri Raghuveer
Prasad Yadhav while the young ruler was educated at
Rajkumar College, Raipur and later at Mayo College,
Ajmer (B.A. and I.C.S. examination); also studied in
England; in 1944 he was granted full ruling powers;
M.L.A. (Madhya Pradesh) for two terms in 1952/1957 and
1962/1967; he established a new town named
Bhanupratappur and constructed a cinema in Kanker; he
was instrumental in founding a new degree college in
Kanker in 1962 to which he donated furniture and
books; he married in 1944, Maharanidhirani Amulya
Prabha Devi, daughter of HH Maharaja Shri Sudhansu
Shekhar Singh Deo of Sonepur,
and his wife, HH Maharani Shrimati Khirode Kumari
Devi, and had issue. He died 14th August 1969.
- Maharajadhiraj Udai Pratap Deo (qv)
- Maharajkumari Manjushree Devi, married Kumar Shri
Mahirajsinhji Surendrasinhji of Sayla, and has issue.
- Maharajadhiraj UDAI PRATAP DEO, Maharaja of
Kanker 1969/2001, he was an avid conservationist and
was President of the General Council, Rajkumar College
from 1988 to 1993; married Maharanidhirani
Tripureshwari Devi, daughter of Thakore Saheb Surendra
Singh of Sayla, and his
wife, Thakorani Manishwari Devi, and had issue. He
- Maharajkumari Anuradha Devi
- Maharajadhiraj Aditya Pratap Deo (qv)
- Maharajkumar Surya Pratap Deo (Prince Jolly),
educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur; he is
presently (2009) actively involved in heritage
tourism; married 29th January 2007, Kumari
Rajeshwari Singh Jhala, daughter of Kumar Mahipal
- Maharajkumar Ashwini Pratap Deo B.Com. (Prince
Jai), educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur and Zakir
Hussain College, Delhi University (B.Com).
- Maharajadhiraj ADITYA PRATAP DEO, Maharaja of
Kanker (see above)