|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Predecessor
of Mathura, founded about 900AD by Raja Brahm Pal. His
Highness the Maharaja maintains a military force of 281
cavalry, 1640 infantry, and 56 guns, and is entitled to a
salute of 17 guns (as of 1892). Rulers were...
- Maharaja CHHATRA PAL [Chhatra Man], 24th
Maharaja of Karauli 1643/1655, ruled at Bahadurpur,
married and had issue.
- Maharaja Dharam Pal II (qv)
- Rao Bhup Pal, he was granted the Jagir of Inayati and the title
of Rao at the same time.
- Maharaja DHARAM PAL II, 25th Maharaja of
Karauli 1655/1674, 25th Maharaja of Mathura and its
successor states, and the first Maharaja to rule at
Karauli, married and had issue.
- Maharaja Kunwar Pal II, Maharaja of Karauli (qv)
- Rao Kirti Pal, he was granted the Jagir of Hadoti
and Gareri, and the title of Rao at the same time.
- Thakur Bhoj Pal, he was granted the Jagir of
Rawanthara, and the title of Thakur at the same
- Maharaja RATAN PAL, 26th Maharaja of Karauli
- Maharaja KUNWAR PAL II, 27th Maharaja of
Karauli 1688/1724, married and had issue.
- Maharaja Gopal Singh (qv)
- Maharaja GOPAL SINGH, 28th Maharaja of
Karauli 1724/1757, he was considered to be a very wise
and good administrator, he extended his rule over 253
villages across the Chambal river, up to Vijaypur. The
borders of Karauli state extended up to within 15kms
of Gwalior. He caused to be built the Gopal temple,
Madan Mohan temple, new Kalyan temple, Tripolia gate,
Deewan E Aam and Nakkar Khana. He died sp 1757
and was succeeded by a cousin.
- Maharaja TURSAM PAL, 29th Maharaja of Karauli
1757/1772, married and had issue. He died 24th October
- Maharaja Manik Pal (qv)
- Rao Juhar Pal, founded Juhargarh and was adopted
to Hadoti, married and had issue.
- Rao Ameer Pal of Hadoti, married and had issue.
- Maharaj (name
unknown) Singh, married and had issue.
- Maharaj Bhairon Pal, married and had issue.
- Maharaj Mangal Pal, married and had issue.
- Maharaja Arjun Pal II (qv)
- Maharaj Durjan Pal, married and had issue.
- HH Maharaja Sir Bhanwar Pal Deo Bahadur
Yadakul Chandra Bhal (qv)
- Maharaj Sujan Pal, Thakur Sahib of Pardampura,
married and had issue.
- HH Maharaja Sir Bhom Pal Deo Bahadur Yadakul
Chandra Bhal (qv)
- Maharaj Moti Pal
- Maharaj Padam Pal, married and had issue.
- Maharaj Jatu Pal, married and had issue.
- Maharaja MANIK PAL, 30th Maharaja of Karauli
1772/1804, married and had issue.
- Maharaja Amolak Pal (qv)
- Maharaja Harbaksh Pal (qv)
- Maharajkumari (name unknown), married 1785,
Rao Raja Bishan Singhji of Bundi.
- Maharaja AMOLAK PAL, 31st Maharaja of Karauli
1804/1805, rebelled against his father; married
(amongst others), the elder daughter of Raja Bahadur
Singh Sahib of Jaoli.
He died sp
in Utgarh in 1804 (1805).
- Maharaja HARBAKSH PAL, 32nd Maharaja of
Karauli 1805/1837, born circa 1792, he adopted Rao
Pratap Pal of Hadoti (see above), and died 1837.
- (A) Maharaja Pratap Pal (qv)
- Maharaja PRATAP PAL, 33rd Maharaja of Karauli
1837/1849, married (amongst others), (a), Maharani
Takhat Kumari of Khandela-Senior,
married (b), a daughter of Raja Fateh Singh Sahib of Jaoli, and had issue as
well as adoptive issue. He died spm in 1849.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown), married
Maharao Chhatar Sal of Kotah.
- (A) Maharaja Narsingh Pal (qv)
- Maharaja NARSINGH PAL, 34th Maharaja of
Karauli 1849/1852, adopted from Hadoti, he adopted a
distant relative the day before his death, died sp
on 10th July 1852.
- (A) Maharaja Bharat Pal (qv)
- Maharaja BHARAT PAL, 35th Maharaja of Karauli
1852/1854, it was first proposed to enforce the
doctrine of lapse, but finally his adoption was
recognized. In the meantime a strong party had been
formed in favour of Madan Pal, a nearer relative,
whose claim was supported by the opinions of several
chiefs in Rajasthan. An inquiry was ordered, and it
was ascertained that the adoption of Bharat Pal was
informal by reason of the minority of the Maharaja and
the omission of certain necessary rites.
- Maharaja Sir MADAN PAL, 36th Maharaja of
Karauli 1854/1869, he was accepted by the Ranis and by
nine of the most influential Thakurs, and was
recognized as the ruler on 14th March 1854, he sent a
body of troops against the Kotah rebels in 1857, and
for these services he was created a Knight Grand
Commander of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of
India (G.C.S.I.), a debt of 1.2 lakhs to the British
Government was remitted, a dress of honour was
conferred, and the salute was permanently increased
from 15 to 17 guns, a sanad of adoption was
also granted in 1862, he married six wives, including
(a), a daughter of Thakur Vrishbhan Singh Tanwar,
married (b), in 1867, Maharani Phool Kunwar, sixth
daughter of Maharao Shri Sheo Singhji of Sirohi. He died sp
on 16th August 1869.
- Maharaja LAKSHMAN PAL, 37th Maharaja of
Karauli in 1869 or 1869/1871, not recognized as
Maharaja in some sources.
- Maharaja JAISINGH PAL, 38th Maharaja of
Karauli 1871/1875, there was a dispute on the matter
of adoption, it took almost 2 years to finalize the
matter, meanwhile the state was managed by Thakur
Vrishbhan Singh Tanwar, father-in-law of Maharaja
Madan Palji. Finally, Jaisingh Pal, Rao of Hadoti was
adopted as the successor. He died sp on 17th
- Maharaja ARJUN PAL II, 39th Maharaja of
Karauli 1876/1886, adopted from Hadoti in January
1876, died 14th August 1886 (#1).
- HH Maharaja Sir BHANWAR PAL Deo Bahadur Yadakul
Chandra Bhal, 40th Maharaja of Karauli
1886/1927, born 24th July 1864, adopted from
Padampura, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; he
succeeded to the gadi on 14th August 1886 and obtained
full ruling powers in 1889, G.C.I.E. [cr.1897],
K.C.IE. [cr.1894], married six times, including, 1stly
1878, daughter of Apji Ajit Singh of Koela, married 2ndly, 1880, a
daughter of Raja Kushal Singh of Khandela-Senior, died
before 1893, married 3rdly, HH Maharani Sengariji
Sahiba, daughter of Raja Rup Shah of Jagmanpur in Jalaun
district of United Provinces; married 4thly, 1889, a
daughter of Thakur Ajit Singh of Mandawa-Senior,
married 5thly, Baijilal Sajjan Kumari [HH Maharani
Sajjan Kumari of Karauli], daughter of Raja Akshay
Singh of Banera, and
his second wife, Rani Mertaniji. He died sp on
3rd August 1927 (#2).
- HH Maharaja Sir BHOM
PAL Deo Bahadur Yadakul Chandra Bhal, 41st
Maharaja of Karauli 1927/1947, born 16th June 1866,
recognised as the Head of the Yadava Rajputs, married
1stly, the daughter of Raja Bahadur Bhagwan Singh,
married 2ndly, a sister of Raja Bahadur Bhagwan Singh,
married 3rdly, a daughter of Thakur Chiman Singh, and
had issue. He died 6th April 1947 (#3).
- HH Maharaja Shri Ganesh Pal Deo Bahadur Yadakul
Chandra Bhal (qv)
- HH Maharaja Shri GANESH PAL Deo Bahadur Yadakul
Chandra Bhal, 42nd Maharaja of Karauli
1947/1984, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; married
(amongst others) (a), a daughter of Raja Krishna Dutt
Singh, Raja of Oel and
Kaimahra, married (b), HH Maharani Jas Kanwar,
daughter of Raja Shri Hamir Singh of Khandela-Senior, and his
fourth wife, Rani Tanwarji, and had issue. He died
- Yuvaraj Brijendra Pal Deo, born 27th October 1927,
married 15th February 1947, Maharajkumari Dhairiya
Kunwarba Sahiba, daughter of Major HH Maharana Shri
Maharaja Shri Raj Sir Ghanshyamsinhji Ajitsinhji
Sahib Bahadur of Dhrangadhra,
and his fifth wife, HH Maharani Nawal Kunwarba
Sahiba. He died sp on 9th August 1984.
- Yuvraj Surendra Pal Deo married Yuvrani Narendra
Kumari of Sailana, and had issue. He died vp.
- HH Maharaja Shri Krishan Chander Pal Deo Bahadur
Yadakul Chandra Bhal (qv)
- HH Maharani Chandra Kumari, married 6th March
1975 in Jaipur, HH Maharana Sri Mahipendra Singh
of Danta, and has
Rajkumari Struti Kumari, married Kunwar Ajit
Singh of Daulatgarh
- Maharani Brijrajnandini Devi, married 12th March
1955, HH Maharaja Rao Virbhadrasinhji
Krishnakumarsinhji of Bhavnagar.
- HH Maharaja Shri KRISHAN CHANDER PAL Deo Bahadur
Yadakul Chandra Bhal, 43rd Maharaja of Karauli