|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Predecessor
and Kutch state was established by Jam Khengarji I, in
Highness the Maharao maintains a military force of 354
cavalry, 1412 infantry, and 164 guns, and is entitled to a
salute of 1 7 guns (as of 1892). Rulers were...
- Jam LAKHAJI
[Lakho Jadani], 1st Jam Saheb of Kutch 1147/1175,
married and had issue.
- Jam RAYADHANJI,
2nd Jam Saheb of Kutch 1175/1215, married and had
issue. He died 1215.
- Jam ODHA
[Athoji], 3rd Jam Saheb of Kutch 1215/1255, married
and had issue.
- Jam GAOJI,
4th Jam Saheb of Kutch 1255/1285
- Jam VAHENJI
[Veinji]. 5th Jam Saheb of Kutch 1285/1321
- Jam MULVAJI
[Murvoji], 6th Jam Saheb of Kutch 1321/1347
- Jam KAIYAJI,
7th Jam Saheb of Kutch 1347/1386
- Jam AMARJI,
8th Jam Saheb of Kutch 1386/1429
- Jam BHEEMJI,
9th Jam Saheb of Kutch 1429/1472
- Jam HAMIRJI,
10th Jam Saheb of Kutch 1472/1535, married and had
issue. He was murdered about 1535.
- Rao Khengarji I Hamirji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Aliaji Hamirji of Ramayan
- Kumar Shri Sahebji Hamirji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Jasoji Sahebji of Vinjan
- Kumar Shri Hamirji Sahebji of Mothara
- Kumar Shri Panchanji Sahebji, married and had
- Kumar Shri Devaji Panchanji of Ruva Sumri
- Kumar Shri Tamachiji Sahebji
- Kumar Shri Rayabji Hamirji
- Rao KHENGARJI I
HAMIRJI, 1st Rao Saheb of Kutch 1548/1585
(Jam from 1535), born about 1510, married and had
issue. He died 1585.
- Rao Bharmalji I Khengarji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Bhojrajji Khengarji, married and had
- Kumar Shri Aliaji Bhojrajji of Kera Parganah.
Rao BHARMALJI I
KHENGARJI, 2nd Rao Saheb of Kutch 1585/1631,
married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Jethiji Bharmalji
- Rao Bhojrajji Bharmalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Meghji Bharmalji, married and had
- Kumar Shri Khengarji Meghji, he succeeded as Rao
Khengarji II Bhojrajji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayadhanji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Pragji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Asaji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Laghdirji Bharmalji
BHARMALJI, 3rd Rao Saheb of Kutch 1631/1645,
married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Ajoji Bhojrajji of Madi
- Rao Tamachiji Bhojrajji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Unadji Bhojrajji of Varsamedi
- Kumar Shri Abhairajji Bhojrajji of Chirai
- Kumar Shri Ramsinhji Bhojrajji of Bhachau
- Kumar Shri Sujoji Bhojrajji of Pakdasar
- Kumar Shri Kumbhoji Bhojrajji of Kumbhardi
Rao KHENGARJI II
BHOJRAJJI, Rao Saheb of Kutch 1645/1654, born
as Kumar Shri Khengarji Meghji, he was adopted by his
uncle, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Hamirji Khengarji of Aniras
BHOJRAJJI, 5th Rao Saheb of Kutch 1654/1662,
married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Hajoji Tamachiji of Dhamarka
- Rao Rayadhanji II Tamachiji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Hardholji Tamachiji
- Kumar Shri Kalyanji Tamachiji of Vadli
- Kumar Shri Meghji Tamachiji of Sagliyu
Rao RAYADHANJI II
TAMACHIJI, 6th Rao Saheb of Kutch 1662/1697,
married (amongst others), Rani Sajuba Sahiba, daughter
of Raj Sahib Meghrajji II Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and
had issue. He died 1697.
- Maharao Pragmalji I Rayadhanji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Nanghanji Rayadhanji, married and had
- Kumar Shri Haloji Nanghanji of Kothara
- Kumar Shri Sattoji Nanghanji of Nara
- Kumar Shri Devaji Nanghanji of Akri
- Kumar Shri Bharoji Nanghanji of Goniasar
- Kumar Shri Ravaji Rayadhanji, married and had
- Thakur Sahib Kanyaji Ravaji, he consolidated Morvi.
- Kumar Shri Sujoji Rayadhanji of Tharahada
- Kumar Shri Jinoji Rayadhanji of Kera
- Kumar Shri Gopalji Rayadhanji of Faradi
- Kumar Shri Modji Rayadhanji of Gundara
- Kumar Shri Abhairajji Rayadhanji
Maharao PRAGMALJI I
RAYADHANJI, 7th Maharao Saheb of Kutch
1697/1715, married and had issue.
- Maharao Ghodaji I Pragmalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Niranji Pragmalji of Godhra
- Kumar Shri Sagramji Pragmalji of Katariya
- Kumar Shri Karanji Pragmalji of Mankuva
- Kumar Shri Dudoji Pragmalji
Maharao GHODAJI I
PRAGMALJI, 8th Maharao Saheb of Kutch
1715/1718, married and had issue.
- Maharao Desalji I Ghodaji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayabhji Ghodaji of Khakhar.
- Kumar Shri Jiwanji Ghodaji of Ratadiya.
- Kumar Shri Hajoji Ghodaji of Patri.
- Kumar Shri Umroji Ghodaji of Gajod.
Maharao DESALJI I
GHODAJI [Daishalji] (Desara Parmesara), 9th
Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1718/1741, born 1707, married
(amongst others), Maharani Ratna
Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Jaswantsinhji
Gajsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and had issue. He died
- Mirza Maharao Lakhpatji Desalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayadhanji Desalji
LAKHPATJI DESALJI, 10th Maharao Saheb of
Kutch 1741/1760, married and had issue. He died 1760.
- Mirza Maharao Ghodaji II Lakhpatji (qv)
- Maharaj Mansinhji Lakhpatji of Dujapur.
- Maharaj Khanji Lakhpatji of Khanpar.
- Maharaj Sabalji Lakhpatji of Khirasra.
- Maharaj Jiwanji Lakhpatji of Desalpar.
- Maharaj Hajoji Lakhpatji of Jhakhau.
- Maharaj Umroji Lakhpatji of Trambuv.
GHODAJI II LAKHPATJI, 11th Maharao Saheb of
Kutch 1760/1778, married (amongst others), Maharani Shri Motiba Sahiba, daughter of Raj
Sahib Raisinhji Pratapsinhji
and his sixth wife, Rani Bajiba Sahiba, and had
issue. He died 1778.
- Mirza Maharao Rayadhanji Ghodaji III (qv)
- Maharaj Prithvirajji Ghodaji Sahib [Bhaijibawa]
RAYADHANJI GHODAJI III, 12th Maharao Saheb of
Kutch 1778/1786, born 1764, died 1813.
BHARMALJI RAYADHANJI II, 13th Maharao Saheb
of Kutch 1814/1819 (deposed)
DESALJI BHARMALJI II [Daishalji], 14th
Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1819/1860, born 1816, married
1stly, Maharani Baijirajba Sahiba, daughter of Raj
Sahib Amarsinhji Raisinhji of Dhrangadhra, and
his seventh wife, Rani Ram Kunwarba Sahiba, married
2ndly, Maharani Rupaliba Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib
Amarsinhji Raisinhji of Dhrangadhra, and
his fourth wife, Rani Sahib Kunwarba Sahiba, and had
issue. He died 26th July 1860.
- Mirza Maharao Pragmalji Desaji II (qv)
- Thakur Saheb Hamirji Desalji Sahib of Tera,
married and had issue.
- Thakur Saheb Gagubha Hamirji Sahib of Tera (41
villages), married and had issue.
- Thakurani Jijiraj Ba Sahiba, married 1898 (as
his fourth wife), Thakur Amar Sinhji of Namli in Madhya
- Thakur Saheb Jethisinhji Gagubha of Tera,
married Kumari Shri Tara Kunwarba Sahiba,
daughter of Kumar Shri Shivsinhji Govindsinhji
of Hampar in Dhrangadhra,
and his third wife, Kumari Shri Raj Kunwarba
Sahiba, and had issue.
- Thakur Saheb Dr. Rudrasinhji Jethisinhji
Jadeja of Tera, educated at Rajkumar College,
Rajkot; married and had issue. He died 25th
- Kumar Shri Mayurdhwajsinhji Rudrasinhji,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1985).
- Kumar Shri Narendrasinhji Jethisinhji,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1958).
- Kumar Shri Gajendrasinhji Jethisinhji,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1971).
- [?Thakur Saheb Nanubha Hamirji Sahib of Tera,
married and had issue.
- Thakurani Manhar Kunwarba, married Col.
Thakur Rajendra Sinhji of Namli, and had
PRAGMALJI DESALJI II G.C.S.I., 15th Maharao
Saheb of Kutch 1860/1876, born 1838, early on he
showed himself anxious to improve the management of
the State, he framed codes for the guidance of his
officers in matters of civil and criminal justice, he
undertook works of public usefulness, and introduced
State systems of public instruction and of
vaccination, in recognition of his excellent
administration he was honoured with the title of
Knight Grand Commander of the Star of India in 1871;
he constructed important public works, e.g. the Albert
Edward Breakwater and Harbour Works at Mandvi, the
Alfred High School at Bhuj, the provincial centre of
education, and the establishment of two "Rao Shri
Pragmalji Scholarships" in the Elphinstone College,
and two in Sir Jamsetji Jijibhai's School of Art,
Bombay, he also constructed the Pragsar Tank, an
immense reservoir of rain water in the Chadwa range of
hills, and a causeway in the large Hamirsar tank, he
also built the Jail, the Hospital, the Horse and
Elephant Stables, and the Schools at Bhuj and Mandvi,
he remitted transit duties, and occasionally remitted
import duties in times of scarcity or deficient
rainfall; married 1stly, 1854, Maharani Achuba
Kunwarba Sahiba, daughter of HH Raj Sahib Ranmalji
Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra,
and his first wife, HH Rani Jan Kunwarba Sahiba,
married 2ndly, 1862, Maharani Karsan Kunwarba Sahiba
[Krishna Kumari], daughter of HH Raj Sahib Ranmalji
Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra,
and had issue. He died 1st January 1876.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Sir Khengarji
Pragmalji III Sawai Bahadur (qv)
- Maharaj Kumar Kalyansinhji Pragmalji Saheb, born
1870, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot, he was
created a Companion of the Most Eminent Order of the
Indian Empire in 1887, married in March 1889, a
Princess of Aramda in Okha, Kathiawar.
- Kumari Bairajba [HH Maharani Sahiba of Bikaner],
married 187x, HH Maharaja Shri Dungar Singhji of Bikaner.
HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza
Maharao Shri Sir KHENGARJI PRAGMALJI III Sawai
Bahadur G.C.I.E., 16th Maharao Saheb of Kutch
1876/1942, born 23rd August 1866, on 11th August 1884,
having attained his majority of eighteen years of age,
he was invested with full ruling powers, formally
installed on 14th November 1884, he was granted the
title of Sawai Bahadur on 2nd March 1885 as a
hereditary distinction, he was created a Knight Grand
Commander of the Indian Empire (G.C.I.E.) in 1887, and
a Knight Grand Commander of the Most Exalted
Order of the Star of India (G.C.S.I.) in 1917, he
enjoys a local gun salute of 19, Member of the
Standing Committe of Indian Princes' Chamber, he
evinced a deep interest in education, and especially
in the education of women, by founding a Sanskrit
school or Pathshala, the Fergusson Museum and Library
at Bhuj, as well as a number of scholarships for both
male and female students, he made considerable
improvements in public works, including the extension
of roads, the pier and reclamation works, and the
erection of new buildings; well irrigation, and other
means of irrigation have also been adopted, strenuous
efforts have also been made in the direction of
reclamation of waste land and fifteen new villages
have been established; married simultaneously on 19th
February 1884 in a joint ceremony (#1), HH
Maharani Motiba Saheb, daughter of the Thakur Sahib of
Sayla, married simultaneously on 19th February 1884 in
a joint ceremony, HH Maharani Gangaba Saheb, daughter
of Raj Rana Jalamsinhji of Charadva in Dhrangadhra,
and had issue. He passed away on 15th January 1942 (#2).
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Vijayarajji
Khengarji Sawai Bahadur [Madhubha] (qv)
- Kumar Shri Godji Khengarji Saheb [Manubha], born
12th September 1888 (#1), he received an
appanage in the villages of Chasra and Mokha in the
Taluka of Mundra in Kutch; married Rani Roop
Kunwarba Saheba, daughter of Maharaj Jai Singh of Bambolia, and his
wife, Rani Jadav Kunwar, and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Zorawarsinhji Godji, married Rani
Pushpawali Kunwar, daughter of Rajkumar Pratap
Singh, Yuvaraj Saheb of Banera, and had
issue, three sons and one daughter.
- Kumar Shri Ghanshyamsinhji Zorawarsinhji,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1961);
married Baijilal Shobha Kumari, daughter of Thakur Prithviraj Singh of Bidwal, and his
Shrimant Daulat Kunwarji, and has
- Kunwar Adityasinhji Ghanshyamsinhji, born
16th November 1985, educated at Daly College
and at Simbiosis College, Puna (B.Com.)
- Kunwar Raghurajsinhji Jorawarsinhji, educated
at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1965), married
Baisa Snehlata Kumari, daughter of Thakur
Narayan Singh of Chota Pana Khandela, and has
had issue, two daughters.
- Kumari Yashiti Kumari, born 31st July 1983,
educated at Walsingham School, Mumbai and at
H.R. College of Commerce, Bombay (B.Com.)
- Kumari Kamakshi Kumari, deceased in 2005.
- Kunwar Devendrasinhji Jorawarsinhji, educated
at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1968), married
Kumari Madhvi Singh, daughter of the Late Thakur
Gajendra Singh (IAS) of Raigaun, Itma (M.P), and
his wife, Smt. Thakurani Jaya Singh, and has
issue, one daughter and one son.
- Kumari Jaikriti Sinh Jadeja, born 3rd April
1986, educated at Mayo College Girls School,
Ajmer and at I.L.S. Law College, Pune and at
National University of Singapore (LL.M.).
- Kunwar Jaydeep D. Sinh Jadeja, born 6th
January 1992, educated at Daly College,
presently (2012) pursuing M.Com. at H.R.
College of Commerce, Mumbai.
- Kumari Preeti, educated at Saint Mary's,
Ajmer, married Capt. Kanwar Karan Vir Singh of Jubbal, and has
issue, one son.
- Kunwar Bhriguraj Singh, born 14th
September 1983, educated at Modern School in
Delhi and B.B.A. from DU.
- Kumar Shri Narpatsinhji Godji
- Kumar Shri Naharsinhji Godji, married Rani
Shyamlata Kumari of Rajpipla, sp.
- HH Maharani Dilhar Kumari, born 30th January
1925 in Bhuj, married 19th May 1943, HH Maharana
Sahib Devi Singhji of Barwani,
and had issue. She died 18th August 2007.
- Kumar Shri Dilipsinhji Godji, born 16th August
1927, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1947);
married in Kutch, Rani Saheba Narendra Kumari,
born 16th September 1934, died 23rd October 2000,
daughter of Maharaj Virbhadra Singh of Dungarpur, and
his wife, Rani Tej Kunwar, and has issue.
- Rajkumari Veena Kumari, born 25th July 1954,
married 22nd January 1976, Kunwar Abhimanyu
Singh of Churhat,
born 15th January 1950, and has issue.
- Kunwar Abhijeet Singh,
born 19th July 1978.
- Baiji Lal Aradhana Kumari,
born 15th January 1985.
- Rajkumari Mandakini Kumari, born 12th June
1959, married 10th July 1988 (div. 24th March
2000), Kumar Shri Ajayveersinh Ghanshyamsinh
Chapotkat of Mansa,
born 30th September 1958, and has issue, one
- Kumar Shri Jayvardhan Sinh Chapotkat,
born 26th October 1990.
- Kunwar Devrajsinhji Dilipsinhji, born 11th
August 1960, married 5th May 1992, Kunwarani
Jaylakshmi Devi, daughter of HH Thakore Sahib
Shri Kedarendradevsinhji Surendrasinhji of Wadhwan, and his
wife, HH Thakorani Saheb Jayshree Kumari, and
- Baiji Lal Malavika Kumari, born 7th
- Baiji Lal Ambika Kumari, born 28th March
- Maharajkumar Lakhubha Khengarji Sahib, died young.
- Maharajkumari Kesaba Saheb [HH Maharani Saheb of
Kotah], married 17th April 1897 at Bhuj, Colonel HH
Maharao Shri Umaid Singhji II of Kotah.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) [HH Maharani
Saheb of Ratlam], married 29th June 1902, Col. HH
Maharaja Sir Sajjan Singhji Bahadur of Ratlam.
- Maharajkumari Takhat Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani
Saheb of Sirohi], married HH Maharajadhiraj Maharao
Sir Sarup Ram Singhji of Sirohi.
Mirza Maharao Shri VIJAYARAJJI KHENGARJI Sawai
Bahadur [Madhubha], 17th Maharao Saheb of
Kutch 1942/1948, born 2nd September 1885, married 6th
March 1907, HH Maharani Shri Padmakunwar Ba Sahiba,
daughter of HH Maharao Kesari Singhji Bahadur of Sirohi, and had issue.
He passed away on 26th February 1948 (#2).
- Yuvaraj Shri Madansinhji Vijayarajji Sawai
Bahadur, he succeeded as HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza
Maharao Shri Madansinhji Vijayarajji Sawai Bahadur
of Kutch (qv)
- Maharajkumar Sahib Natwarsinhji Vijayrajji, died
- Maharajkumar Shri Fatehsinhji Vijayrajji Jadeja,
married and has issue.
- Rani Virendra Kumari, born 12th December 1940,
married Brig. Shri V. P. Singhji Saheb.
- Rani Raj Vijayraj Kumari, born 21st December
1942, married 15th May 1972, Maharaj Shri Arvind
Singhji of Udaipur,
and has issue.
- Maharajkumar Shri Himmatsinhji Vijayrajji Jadeja,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1947); married
Kaurani Sahiba Padmini Kunverba, died 4th December
2006 at Kutch, daughter of HH Maharana Raj Saheb
Pratapsinhji Amarsinhji of Wankaner, and his
wife, HH Maharani Rama Kunver, and has issue.
- Rani Bharati Kunwarba, married Maharaj Mahijit
Singh of Jhalawar,
and has issue.
- Maharajkumari Raj Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani
Hansa Kumari of Sant], married HH Maharana Shri
Pravinsinhji Jorawarsinhji of Sant, and had issue.
- Maharajkumari Dev Kunverba Saheb [HH Rani Saheba
of Narsinghgarh], married June 1929, HH Raja Shri
Sir Vikram Singhji Sahib of Narsingharh.
- Maharajkumari Pravin Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani
Saheb of Rewah], married 1943, HH Maharajah Martand
Singhji of Rewah.
Mirza Maharao Shri MADANSINGHJI VIJAYRAJJI Sawai
Bahadur [Meghrajji], 18th Maharao Saheb of
Kutch 1948/1991, born 12th October 1909 in Bhuj,
married HH Maharani Rajendra Kunverba, daughter of
Lt.-Col. HH Umdae Rajhae Buland Makan Maharajadhiraja
Maharaja Sir Madan Singhji Bahadur of Kishangarh, and had
issue. He passed away on 21st June 1991 in London.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Pragmalji
Madansinhji III Sawai Bahadur [Prithvirajji] (qv)
- Maharaj Kumar Sahib Bhupatsinhji Madansinhji
- Maharaj Kumari Sahiba Nanda Kumari, married 16th
May 1976, Rajkumar Birendra Singhji, son of Rao
Sahib Udaya Singhji of Patan.
- Maharaj Kumar Sahib Hanuwantsinhji Madansinhji
Jadeja, married Maharajkumari Rohini Devi, daughter
of Lt. HH Maharaja Raol Shri Sir Krishnakumarsinhji
Bhavsinhji of Bhavnagar,
and his wife, HH Maharani Vijayba Sahiba, and has
- Kumar Shri Satyajitsinhji Hanuwantsinhji Jadeja
- Kumar Shri Pratapsinhji Hanuwantsinhji Jadeja,
born 3rd March 1972 in Bombay, Graduate, educated
at Jamnabai Narsee School, Bombay; Junior National
Gold Medalist in the High Jump; married 12th March
1993 in Bombay, Kumari Shalini Kumari of Ramgarh
Pachwara, and has issue, two sons and one
- Kumar Shri Anirudhsinhji Pratapsinhji Jadeja,
presently (2008) studying at Rajkumar College,
- Kumari Shri Trishulinikumari Pratapsinhji
Jadeja, presently (2008) studying at Mayo
College, Girl's School, Ajmer;
- Kumar Shri Meghdeepsinhji Pratapsinhji Jadeja
- Maharaj Kumari Sahiba Brijraj Kumari, married
Rajkumar Raj Sinh of Sitamau,
and has issue.
Mirza Maharao Shri PRAGMALJI MADANSINHJI III Sawai
Bahadur, 19th Maharao Saheb of Kutch (see